post #571 of 1513 Old 07-02-2014, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 380
removed dbl post

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-02-2014 at 11:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 1513 Old 07-02-2014, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodolfan View Post
Yep. Plasma is dead. But its time for me to go bigger and I found this set at a price point that didn't cause me a divorce. Plasmas over 60" are $3K+ which were over my budget. Love the size of the TV. 2D BluRays look amazing but HD cable is at times very "pixely" and blotchy. 3D BRs look very dark. The 3D glasses are obviously tinted so it may just be that I was overseeing that. Is a 3D picture supposed to look darker? Bigger screen = more noticeable artifacts yes on most things not Blue Ray

Maybe, since I'm not used to having a set this big I'm noticing imperfections a lot easier. Is the pixelation normal when watching HD cable especially on a 70" screen?
Never owned a 70" biggest one here is a 60" plasma Cable and Sat retransmission often are not true 720p or 1080i/p and are HD lite with mpeg 4 compression downsampling and bit shaping , depending on the original content quality ,compression settings ,bit shaping ,and allocated bandwidth for a specific channels re transmission picture quality is all over the board .

Discovery ,Nat Geo and History channels and some of the other premium dedicated 1080i channels will usually have more bandwidth and less manipulation.

Some of the 720p channels are OK also resolution alone does not make for picture quality there are many other things including transmission bit rate /bit shaping/compression settings and allocated channel bandwidth and some other things more important than resolution . Prograns origiionaly shot in lower than 1080i/p /720p resolutions will not always up scale well however many 24p films properly encoded are excellent.

Pixelation, macroblocking ,mosquito noise and mpeg compression artifacts are present in most Cable/SAT retransmissions and varies per channel more noticed on dark or grey solid backgrounds a 70" LCD on Cable /SAT could get ugly close up with certain material .blu rays OFC will always be best .

70"Distance to screen should be ~ 9.8 feet General and Cinema modes without excessive brightness color saturation + sharpness and a neutral color temp are usually best . ofc a professional calibration by an ISF or THX certified calibrator is not a bad thing . or look into some of the owner threads here or Cnet or Tweak my TV for some setting recommendations for your set .Good luck and enjoy your new man toy!

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-03-2014 at 12:13 AM.
post #573 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTI84 View Post
Have my TV hooked up. Everything looks good... except for.. on white screens there is black coming out of the corners.
Looks like black triangles coming out of the corners. Only noticeable on white screens.
( 60W840b)
picture ?

post #574 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopthrough View Post
R4 series (and all low end TVs by all makes) do not use custom design processors or complicated backlight modules. Just off the shelf chips, usually MediaTek SOC designs. Sony's processors are only in TVs they brand as "X-Reality". "Clear Resolution Enhancer" = off the shelf processor.
2014 W600 at Sony website linked above says Sony's X-Reality™ PRO

Last years R4xxx were off the shelf Media Tek labeled X-Reality". "Clear Resolution Enhancer"

The LG XX LM 5xxx and Samsung EH/ES 5xxx with respective LG and Samsung processors are listed in a prior post
AFAIK all the other brands in this price range use Media Tek or Marvel processors

I take the 5th on the W600B back light t thing you could be right it is kinda thick for edge lit and then there are the reviews

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-03-2014 at 01:07 AM.
post #575 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
picture ?
He says it looks just like mine:

post #576 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

How do you think yours is ? white and grey are kind of severe especially grey is most severe I wonder what a light blue or 50% -75% Blue would look like ? RED? and what scene mode and brightness /contrast (picture ) Game and Max contrast 56-60 brightness max backlight would be good
game turns off all the xtras most of us turn off anyway .

post #577 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Like I said, it doesn't look that severe in real life.

The pic was taken whilst set in 'Game' mode, with the following settings:

Backlight - MAX
Picture - MAX
Brightness - 53
Colour - 70
Hue - 0
Colour Temp - Cool
Sharpness - 65
MPEG Noise - Off (greyed out)
Dot Noise - Off (greyed out)
Reality Creation - Auto
Smooth Graduation - Off
Motionflow - Off

Advanced

Black Corrector - Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer - Low
Gamma - +1
Auto light limiter - Off
Clear White - Off
Live Colour - Off
White Balance - 0
Detail Enhancer - Medium
Edge Enhancer - Low
Skin Naturaliser - Off (greyed out)
Display Speed Preference - On (greyed out)
post #578 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 04:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
2014 W600 at Sony website linked above says Sony's X-Reality™ PRO

Last years R4xxx were off the shelf Media Tek labeled X-Reality". "Clear Resolution Enhancer"

The LG XX LM 5xxx and Samsung EH/ES 5xxx with respective LG and Samsung processors are listed in a prior post
AFAIK all the other brands in this price range use Media Tek or Marvel processors

I take the 5th on the W600B back light t thing you could be right it is kinda thick for edge lit and then there are the reviews
I've checked the pics and specs for the US version of the W600B and can see nothing to suggest it's edge lit. Looks like an exact copy of the W605 which is backlit.

Yes, like I said, the W600B is X-Reality, but in most ways it's an R4 with slightly enhanced features.

Sony's marketing team usually make mistakes regarding specs and probably the last people you should rely on. They're still calling the R4 edge lit!

If you say so regarding Samsung/LG's processors, sure, I'm not 100% sure of Samsung/LG specs, mainly know about Sony, Panasonic and Philips/TPV.
post #579 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopthrough View Post
I've checked the pics and specs for the US version of the W600B and can see nothing to suggest it's edge lit. Looks like an exact copy of the W605 which is backlit.

Yes, like I said, the W600B is X-Reality, but in most ways it's an R4 with slightly enhanced features.

Sony's marketing team usually make mistakes regarding specs and probably the last people you should rely on. They're still calling the R4 edge lit!

If you say so regarding Samsung/LG's processors, sure, I'm not 100% sure of Samsung/LG specs, mainly know about Sony, Panasonic and Philips/TPV.
re/tube twister

Agree w600b look' s looks like a rear lit to me also bit a porker don't you think ? that's what I always thought anyway the only reason I changed thinking to edge light was was after seeing the bloody Sony website and because 8XXx sets are also edge lit at least most of the 8XXx aren't using those dreadful LG ips panels like the r550 and some other sets last yr.

Yes I can imagine the W600B is just an R4 with X-reality probably not a bad thing for the money .

Not to much of a stretch to believe Sony would get it wrong in their marketing aye governor ?

I've fixed a couple of LG and Sammies for people so I've had my bloody pickers in them ☺

With LCD I prefer Sony as a rule I had a trinitron and and FD HD Wega both lasted over 10 yr without issue lovley sets in their day other than a little geometry issue baked into the FD trinitron flat tube only time you would see it is if it was trying to draw a perfect circle looked a bit odd at times .....all the flat CRT had that AFAIK !

Could you do me a favor old man ? ...... say hi to the queen for me ............. Oh William , Kate and Harry also next time you see them.......... I really must get over there and see them you know it's been a dreadfully long time

Cheers !

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-03-2014 at 05:07 AM.
post #580 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Is this what your looking for?

Quote:
You all know Somebody's going to get owned here right ? (thats how it works )

Easy to settle ................. have a w600b owner look
must post a PIX for some backlights in the middle of the back of the set shining through a hole or whatever NO prize and and an LED must be visible like it is in my 40 R450 not just light or we will have to figure something else maybe send someone over to disassemble your set ? any volunteers for a donor set ?☺ We will put it back together I promise ,will it work as before ..thats the $64.00 question ! but you will get some respect around here not always an easy thing to do and I will push the like button and maybe some others will !

As i just purchased my W600B, I would be happy to oblige.
Is this what your looking for? This seems inconclusive to me, nevertheless, here are my findings:

1) this picture was included for context, you can clearly see two extrusions letting a fair amount of light escape from the panel assembly.

3) In this picture, you can see a bulbous opaque plastic part that is exiting the panel. Its my opinion that any edge-lit display would not leak this amount of light into the rear of the cabinet from this location.
tubetwister likes this.
post #581 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmoore178 View Post
As i just purchased my W600B, I would be happy to oblige.
Is this what your looking for? This seems inconclusive to me, nevertheless, here are my findings:
Bpmoore, I'm considering buying the 40" version of this tv. How do you like it so far? Do you game on it/watch movies? I've seen some other pictures in here that show some darkness in the corners of the scree. I think they are different models, but does the w600b have any of those?

Thanks.

Last edited by turbopenguin; 07-03-2014 at 09:31 AM.
post #582 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Anyone able to comment on the speaker volume of the 840/850b series? I'm going back down to the store now to see how the floor model sounds. As it stands mine has to be at 50+ volume for general TV watching in a quiet apartment. I thought the whole point of the wedge design was better speakers.
post #583 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone using the Sony KDL-32W600B or the Sony KDL-32W700B as a PC Monitor? If yes does the text look sharp like a normal pc monitor or is it blurry?
post #584 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udit99 View Post
Is anyone using the Sony KDL-32W600B or the Sony KDL-32W700B as a PC Monitor? If yes does the text look sharp like a normal pc monitor or is it blurry?
I've tried the 40 inch W600B with my Windows 7 laptop via HDMI and with a little video card tweaking to get the screen expanded correctly it looks brilliant -- bright, clear, and no fuzzy text. I don't use it all the time but might give more surfing a shot based on my half hour playing with the set up.

Greg
post #585 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaylor0 View Post
I've tried the 40 inch W600B with my Windows 7 laptop via HDMI and with a little video card tweaking to get the screen expanded correctly it looks brilliant -- bright, clear, and no fuzzy text. I don't use it all the time but might give more surfing a shot based on my half hour playing with the set up.
Thanks a ton.
Could you also give few pictures of the screen with text?
post #586 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Sidebar, if anyone is interested in seeing a plex app added to the bravia series, please visit the sony page and comment and add to the list. Thank you. http://community.sony.com/t5/Join-th...-p/384438#M599

I don't think there is anything wrong by posting this URL. Mods, if there is, please delete this or correct me.

Thank you.
post #587 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

bpmoore178
Thanks for pictures of the W600's backside !

re tubetwister

Hard to tell W600 are porky like last years R4XXx so I'm inclind to think direct lit like loopthrough says he seems to know his Sony's . I suspect the W600 and last years R4XX have the same Samsung S-PVA panels also after all why muck up a good thing .

When they get some gutted salvage set pictures on Ebay that should settle it not to mention it makes sense to carry over existing fabrication and tooling and use the same panels to keep costs down

The R45Xx was a pretty good panel anyway . I've calibrated mine and it's astonishingly good as compared to what it was out of the box leaps and bounds better . Not far off from much more expensive Sony's and other sets.

The big secret is calibrating it in Cinema mode setting color temp to neutral and also screwing up the Contrast and backlight to max and giving it a touch of gamma I keep mine at +2 .

Sonys typically like to push red with the color temp at warm and cool makes it look like a cheap Emerson or
Westinghouse kit in store torch mode pushing blue !. Thanx for the pix I'll be sure to push the like button governor !

Cheers

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-03-2014 at 04:31 PM.
post #588 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 01:38 PM

Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopenguin View Post
Bpmoore, I'm considering buying the 40" version of this tv. How do you like it so far?
Thanks.
Sony KDL-48W600B review:

Subjectively speaking, I am greatly enjoying the overall picture quality of the set and would handily recommend it to anyone in the market for an LED LCD. For the $650 I paid, I could not ask any more from an LED LCD. I purchased this set specifically because I knew that Sony does not use the "panel lottery" method when sourcing their LCD panels. Moreover, I knew that this model (W600B )employed a Samsung or AUO, VA or SUPER-PVA (Superior blacks and color reproduction, poor viewing angle) panel rather than an IPS(Inferior black levels, Better viewing angle) panel. Attached at the bottom are various dynamic stills of a 1080P cartoon. I believe that these images are representative of what the W600B is capable of, however, the set will obviously look better to the naked eye.

Here are my unfiltered thoughts on the 48 inch W600B:

Black levels and contrast: According to Rtings.com, this set has roughly a 3500:1 measured contrast ratio, however I was unable to fully quantify that number immediately after unboxing. Coming from a Panasonic Plasma (TH-42PHD8UK), I though the 3500:1 contrast ratio was rather poor, however I quickly realized that though the contrast was technically worse than the Panasonic Plasma, I observed that, given the right content, the set displayed inky blacks and average to good shadow detail. Specifically, the W600B produced darker blacks than the Panasonic in many cases, however, shadow detail is sometimes crushed, though this is a minor quibble when considering the fantastically low price. On the whole, even those coming from a plasma will not be too disappointed with regards to contrast and black levels. You might even be pleasantly surprised. The images below are faithful representations of the black levels.

Color reproduction: I found the vividness and saturation of the colors displayed to be quite good. However, I did notice that the W600b simply cannot reproduce colors like a plasma display in regards to the amount of colors and the given saturation.

Motion: Un-noticeable blur on 60Hz sources, however there was some noticeable blur on 1080/24p sources.

Smart TV: Cannot comment, I do not use Smart TV features.

Power consumption: Utterly minuscule.

Gaming: no noticeable input lag , however I don't often play video games.

Viewing angles: Quite poor. Off Axis viewing is tolerable but the contrast ratio is severely diminished.

Pictures:

Two dynamic scenes, for the purpose of demonstrating contrast ratio. Lights on and lights off (quasi darkened college apartment).

Poor Off axis viewing: contrast ratio appears to drop dramatically.

Comparison between Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK and 48 Inch Sony W600B.
post #589 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaylor0 View Post
I have my last years 40R450 connected to this PC (as a second screen) as well as the satellite box and Roku .it works good I just set the PC at 1080P (1920 x1080) and like you scaled it in the GPU GUI .

Another good optimisation in the screen menu on all the inputs is to check and make sure the pixel mapping is 1:1 or full pixel and auto display area is off along with 4:3 default and keep auto wide on that insures you are getting full 1080p resolution on all your inputs .

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-03-2014 at 03:38 PM.
post #590 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

[QUOTE=bpmoore178;25468962]Sony KDL-48W600B review:

Subjectively speaking, I am greatly enjoying the overall picture quality of the set and would handily recommend it to anyone in the market for an LED LCD. For the $650 I paid, I could not ask any more from an LED LCD. I purchased this set specifically because I knew that Sony does not use the "panel lottery" method when sourcing their LCD panels. Moreover, I knew that this model (W600B )employed a Samsung or AUO, VA or SUPER-PVA (Superior blacks and color reproduction, poor viewing angle) panel rather than an IPS(Inferior black levels, Better viewing angle) panel. Attached at the bottom are various dynamic stills of a 1080P cartoon. I believe that these images are representative of what the W600B is capable of, however, the set will obviously look better to the naked eye.

Re\ tubetwister

Samsung S-PVA panel in the XX W600 .

Geriatric Panny plasma still gives the Sony LED a proper spanking and puts it to bed in controlled lighting or a dark room aye governor ? ☺

Large Sammy Plasma is my real TV here the Sony's a terrific bedroom set though and actually good enough to use in any room as LCD's go !

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-03-2014 at 02:00 PM.
post #591 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Samsung S-PVA panel in the XX W600 geriatric Panny plasma still puts the Sony LED to bed in controlled lighting or a dark room aye governor ? ☺
Indeed, There's a reason its still in the living room.
post #592 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udit99 View Post
Thanks a ton.
Could you also give few pictures of the screen with text?

I tried a few with my iPhone and text looks fuzzy, unclear in the pics, but on the actual TV the image is excellent. I'll have to let better photographers give it a shot -- sorry.

Greg
post #593 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmoore178 View Post
Indeed, There's a reason its still in the living room.
You should come over to the darkside here (plasma forum) it's great fun to pile on and ridicule the occasional plasma hater that strays into there

Welcome to AVS

post #594 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 03:36 PM

[quote=tubetwister;25471682]You should come over to the darkside here (plasma forum) it's great fun to pile on and ridicule the occasional plasma hater that strays into there

You mean those buzzing blast furnaces??
tubetwister likes this.
post #595 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=falzpozitive;25472178]
Quote:
You should come over to the darkside here (plasma forum) it's great fun to pile on and ridicule the occasional plasma hater that strays into there

You mean those buzzing blast furnaces??
Oh no............... the newer ones run much cooler these days and if you are lucky you might might get one that doesn't buzz on bright scenes like I did

Oh no worries about flashlighting,clouding,color banding,dark corners,radial banding,viewing angles, poor black levels ,motion blur ,gaming lag or DSE either

post #596 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 04:36 PM

[quote=tubetwister;25473130]
Quote:
Originally Posted by falzpozitive View Post

Oh no............... the newer ones run much cooler these days and if you are lucky you might might get one that doesn't buzz on bright scenes like I did

Oh no worries about flashlighting,clouding,color banding,dark corners,radial banding,viewing angles, poor black levels ,motion blur ,gaming lag or DSE either

Yup - I know that the pluses outweigh the minuses. I had a Panny plasma for 5 years before it blew up last week.

But now I think I've seen the light, ugly as it may be....
post #597 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=falzpozitive;25473618]
Quote:

Yup - I know that the pluses outweigh the minuses. I had a Panny plasma for 5 years before it blew up last week.

But now I think I've seen the light, ugly as it may be....
Bummer ! Sorry to hear about your Panny PDP only cure for plasma withdrawal is another one or and OLED if you can print your own money !

Sammie just announced they are dropping out of PDP's and shutting the lines down in Nov.
Won't be long for LG but their PDP's are pretty lackluster anyway .

Still some Sammie PDP's to be had before it's to late !
the f8500s are stonking good and the other ones are pretty good as well .

The real TV here is a Sammie 60f5300 not expensive and will spank most of the LCD around . Ofc the f8500 will do that even better !

OTOH maybe you can fix the Panny with a board off of paybay ,shopjimmy.com or someting you could check darkside here should be some good info there ! 5yr old Panny PDP can still spank most of the LCD around.

Good luck other than that if I were looking for an LCD that didn't require that I
have to print some money the Sony W600/800/850 are pretty decent .

The Sony Cinema Mode makes some nice natural colors as LCD goes all you have to do is screw up the contrast (picture) and backlight to max in cinema mode (defaults in cinema are way to low ) set the color temp @ neutral so it doesn't push red or blue set your pixel mapping at 1:1 (full pixel) and ofc turn off any energy saver and power saver modes that may be present see what +2 gamma looks like and you are good to go.

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-03-2014 at 05:21 PM.
post #598 of 1513 Old 07-03-2014, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone have any info about comparisons between the 60W850B and the 70W850B. Mainly differences between panels, does the 70" still have a VA panel, and is the PQ any better/worse than the 60"?
post #599 of 1513 Old 07-04-2014, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just bought the 48w600b and the picture seems to have alot of noise or like static in dark scenes when watching cable. I am using the cinema preset which seems to be the best one right now, anybody know how to get rid of this or which setting should be used. Also noticed some ghosting when watching dark scenes on bluray.
post #600 of 1513 Old 07-04-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

SR26 wote

I just bought the 48w600b and the picture seems to have alot of noise or like static in dark scenes when watching cable.

Re tubetwister

Not unusual with mpeg compression,bit shaping and per channel bandwidth allocation variations on CATV/SAT

Sometimes lowering the brightness or sharpness or getting about 6 ft or more back from the screen or more can help .

The secret to most Sony TV is
The Sony Cinema Mode makes some nice accurate natural colors as LCD goes all you have to do is screw up the contrast (picture) and backlight to max in cinema mode (defaults in cinema are way to low ) set the color temp @ neutral so it doesn't push red or blue set your pixel mapping at 1:1 (full pixel) and ofc turn off any energy saver and power saver modes that may be present see what +2 gamma looks like and you are good to go. usually color and brightness between 50 57 is good .
Once you set up like that for the money (even at MSRP. ) it's astonishly good and can spank many an LCD that costs more, way better than how it looks out of the box !

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-04-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread