Sony 2014 W600B,W800B,W850B - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 1393 Old 07-04-2014, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 27
As there are 599 replies, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for calibration settings for a 40", thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 1393 Old 07-04-2014, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR26 View Post
I just bought the 48w600b and the picture seems to have alot of noise or like static in dark scenes when watching cable. I am using the cinema preset which seems to be the best one right now, anybody know how to get rid of this or which setting should be used. Also noticed some ghosting when watching dark scenes on bluray.
MPEG Noise Reduction and Noise Reduction settings in Sony's menus are extremely good and almost at a pro level. They really detect "noise" very well compared to the competition which often over smooths the picture and makes it look processed. Obviously not one for using on Blu-ray, but for low-res cable channels a great one to try. Those would be 2 settings I would experiment with on the Auto setting.
post #603 of 1393 Old 07-04-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
re/tube twister

Agree w600b look' s looks like a rear lit to me also bit a porker don't you think ? that's what I always thought anyway the only reason I changed thinking to edge light was was after seeing the bloody Sony website and because 8XXx sets are also edge lit at least most of the 8XXx aren't using those dreadful LG ips panels like the r550 and some other sets last yr.

Yes I can imagine the W600B is just an R4 with X-reality probably not a bad thing for the money .

Not to much of a stretch to believe Sony would get it wrong in their marketing aye governor ?

I've fixed a couple of LG and Sammies for people so I've had my bloody pickers in them ☺

With LCD I prefer Sony as a rule I had a trinitron and and FD HD Wega both lasted over 10 yr without issue lovley sets in their day other than a little geometry issue baked into the FD trinitron flat tube only time you would see it is if it was trying to draw a perfect circle looked a bit odd at times .....all the flat CRT had that AFAIK !

Could you do me a favor old man ? ...... say hi to the queen for me ............. Oh William , Kate and Harry also next time you see them.......... I really must get over there and see them you know it's been a dreadfully long time

Cheers !
You say "dreadful IPS panels" but IPS has its uses too. In bright rooms and family situations, it's ideal. All PRO LCD monitors for video broadcast use IPS panels. They also have the same contrast ratio as a typical cinema projector, so aren't all bad!

It's rear lit. It's a Foxconn model essentially, like the R4. Not a full Sony design as such. Sony has to compete at all levels but at least used a decent panel and capacitors (unlike, erm, Samsung in 2007(?)).

Sony LCDs are great, but I don't think they'll ever reach the heights of the S-LCD days, with the X series sets and the "bouncing balls" commercials. You could still see the Wega/Trinitron DNA then!

Ha, well, in a funny coincidence, the queen/royal family here hand out "royal warrants" (like a seal of approval that means something's of high quality and endorsed by Buckingham Palace) in a nonprofit way to companies that supply them, and Samsung have the royal warrant for TV and electronics, and Sony have it for Pro AV products.

Always liked Trinitrons. First TV we had was a Trinitron. Maybe it's nostalgia. Here in the UK Philips were also big/highly regarded for CRTs. Shame they sold it all off, with Ambilight and everything...
post #604 of 1393 Old 07-04-2014, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 377
loopthrough,

Loophole wrote☺

Always liked Trinitrons. First TV we had was a Trinitron. Maybe it's nostalgia. Here in the UK Philips were also big/highly regarded for CRTs. Shame they sold it all off, with Ambilight and everything...

Re tubetwister

You know you can get emissive display glow like the CRT Trinitrons had with Plasma now right? not for long though
( it was cool and Sony did it the best over here )

Phillips made some cool stuff The first plasma I ever saw was a Phillips in the early 2000s thing cost some loot.
Maybe they were the first ones ? They used to be the Sony on the other half of the world ! makes you wonder if those two divided it up between them ☺

I have a collectable 1960's Philips world band AM/FM SW portable its in the Zenith
Transoceanic league maybe a little better ? Killer set lots of real chrome and stainless still looks good great sound it has separate bass and treble great for listening to ball games .

I can imagine being in the middle of a Saharan Oasis
or anywhere (usually remote ) back then listening to the BEEB on it for my daily fix of civilization while I'm pullin on a proper Beefeaters martini or a Beefeaters gin and tonic with the Governor ! Used to enjoy tuning in the BEEB .
have them on my bookmarks bar and The Reg UK also good stuff! The gin and the radio ☺

Agree on the IPS thing I should have worded it differently like anything some are good some are not so good
Some of the 9XXx Sony FALD and some other sets either used or still use them with good results IIRC ?

I think some of the Sony R550/520 used them last year not sure which or both . Lots of folks here liked the pictures
but some had major panel issues a it seems like a of the owners in the Sony thread here had to get Sony to replace their sets . I don't know how statistically overall it worked out though . You know what they say about statisticians?
First thing when you hire them the first thing they ask you is ........."what position would you like us to support "!

I think I read that some here got free upgrades when the R550/r520 inventories ran out. Some others may have had pro rata replacements maybe they were upgrading higher up on the food chain.

My 42" LG is in another room has one it's not bad .

I've noticed like you say some of the better IPS panels have just as good contrast ratios as good VA panels thats true .
It just seems like a lot of them in the smaller Samsungs (40" and under ) and some other of the less expensive brands
have a lot of issues flashlighting,clouding,uniformity but I guess that is common to a lot of edge lit panels even the Samsung LCD edge lit panels .

That was interesting what you said about the broadcast monitors using IPS panels I could see
it now that you remind me I may gave seen something like the on web and forgot it bet you won't find one of those panels in a consumer set.

For sure the Sony W600B Sony's have to be direct lit like the R4 Sony it's way to fat for and edge light just like you said (good call ) wouldn't be surprised if they are using the same frankenstein Samsung /Foxconn panel as last year at least on thee 40" . I wouldn't be surprised if Foxconn wasn't fabricating parts or Samsung maybe the panel backlight housings as well for sammie yo put together with some of their panels now and then.

I read Foxconn makes 40% of the worlds consumer electronics business also they are Republic of China's largest net exporter and largest employer or is it enslaver ☺. If they buy Sony's consumer electronics and the new Sony TV owned subsidiary that could be interesting Foxconn has some scale Like Sony used to only a lot more. they. I've read LG or maybe Visio has something in the works with Foxconn on a new 110" inch or some monster size TV in the new US plant Foxconn is building.

I also read that sometime soon Sonys TV subsidiary is going to get a lot of their sets from Sonys own factories I don't know anything really other than what I read here and there .

Thats Funny about the Buckingham Palace shell game clever though nothing wrong with a little
reciprocity... we do it all the time here with our aristocracy ........they just call it congressional lobbying here !

Watched the fireworks in the Sacramento River tonight we can see them from my rear rear lot behind my backyard we pop up on the roof of the back storage/shop building and put some patio chairs up there it has a flat roof we can see the barge and the firework mortars from there no way you could do it on the house it's just the opposite.

Some folks are selling their back lots around here for individual custom home construction real estate market is on fire in no Cal.
You know it's tight when custom home builders are doing infill housing . I'll make them wait till it goes up some more large no hurry or maybe I will keep it . Any clue what is going to eventually happen to the Sony TV business? .
I'm outta here gotta go watch Fox News hate on on Obama's crew.............. they did him yesterday ☺

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-05-2014 at 03:20 AM.
post #605 of 1393 Old 07-05-2014, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

OK for the sake of my sanity and in the interest of whatever (your choice) we are going to declare the Sony XXw600B as direct backlight design like loopthroughv says besides its to phatt to be an edge light .

Sony got owned on this one for wrong marketing specs they were outvoted by loopthrough , myself ( I took loopthroughv word on it so if anyone finds any different take it up with him ☺☺) oh and at least 2 UK reviewers that I know of Sony looses 4 to one done and done it's settled rear light !

Door prize consisting of one like or more if there are any more goes to bpmoore178 post #580

only one like in the kitty but I think I got got it covered

like donations to post # 580 are still being accepted thogh!
(the like thingy just above quick reply lets give it up for him!)

See Post # 554 and 580 if you are curious or otherwise bored .

I'm outta here time for a proper chilled Beefeaters gin and tonic

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-05-2014 at 12:56 PM.
post #606 of 1393 Old 07-05-2014, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am thinking about purchasing the 70" 830B or 850B but is 3D really that bad? I am currently using a SHARP 857 LED TV 60" but want to go larger so that is why I am looking at the Sony. I came from a Samsung 50" Plasma so clouding on Sharp is really annoying. Also considering the Sony KDL-65W950B as well. I have seen several Sony sets and the clouding is not nearly as bad it is on Sharp 857. But 3D is important feature to me. The Sharp 857 is active 3D and excels at 3D.
post #607 of 1393 Old 07-05-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
loopthrough,

Loophole wrote☺

Re tubetwister

You know you can get emissive display glow like the CRT Trinitrons had with Plasma now right? not for long though
( it was cool and Sony did it the best over here )

Phillips made some cool stuff The first plasma I ever saw was a Phillips in the early 2000s thing cost some loot.
Maybe they were the first ones ? They used to be the Sony on the other half of the world ! makes you wonder if those two divided it up between them ☺

I have a collectable 1960's Philips world band AM/FM SW portable its in the Zenith
Transoceanic league maybe a little better ? Killer set lots of real chrome and stainless still looks good great sound it has separate bass and treble great for listening to ball games .

I can imagine being in the middle of a Saharan Oasis
or anywhere (usually remote ) back then listening to the BEEB on it for my daily fix of civilization while I'm pullin on a proper Beefeaters martini or a Beefeaters gin and tonic with the Governor ! Used to enjoy tuning in the BEEB .
have them on my bookmarks bar and The Reg UK also good stuff! The gin and the radio ☺

Agree on the IPS thing I should have worded it differently like anything some are good some are not so good
Some of the 9XXx Sony FALD and some other sets either used or still use them with good results IIRC ?

I think some of the Sony R550/520 used them last year not sure which or both . Lots of folks here liked the pictures
but some had major panel issues a it seems like a of the owners in the Sony thread here had to get Sony to replace their sets . I don't know how statistically overall it worked out though . You know what they say about statisticians?
First thing when you hire them the first thing they ask you is ........."what position would you like us to support "!

I think I read that some here got free upgrades when the R550/r520 inventories ran out. Some others may have had pro rata replacements maybe they were upgrading higher up on the food chain.

My 42" LG is in another room has one it's not bad .

I've noticed like you say some of the better IPS panels have just as good contrast ratios as good VA panels thats true .
It just seems like a lot of them in the smaller Samsungs (40" and under ) and some other of the less expensive brands
have a lot of issues flashlighting,clouding,uniformity but I guess that is common to a lot of edge lit panels even the Samsung LCD edge lit panels .

That was interesting what you said about the broadcast monitors using IPS panels I could see
it now that you remind me I may gave seen something like the on web and forgot it bet you won't find one of those panels in a consumer set.

For sure the Sony W600B Sony's have to be direct lit like the R4 Sony it's way to fat for and edge light just like you said (good call ) wouldn't be surprised if they are using the same frankenstein Samsung /Foxconn panel as last year at least on thee 40" . I wouldn't be surprised if Foxconn wasn't fabricating parts or Samsung maybe the panel backlight housings as well for sammie yo put together with some of their panels now and then.

I read Foxconn makes 40% of the worlds consumer electronics business also they are Republic of China's largest net exporter and largest employer or is it enslaver ☺. If they buy Sony's consumer electronics and the new Sony TV owned subsidiary that could be interesting Foxconn has some scale Like Sony used to only a lot more. they. I've read LG or maybe Visio has something in the works with Foxconn on a new 110" inch or some monster size TV in the new US plant Foxconn is building.

I also read that sometime soon Sonys TV subsidiary is going to get a lot of their sets from Sonys own factories I don't know anything really other than what I read here and there .

Thats Funny about the Buckingham Palace shell game clever though nothing wrong with a little
reciprocity... we do it all the time here with our aristocracy ........they just call it congressional lobbying here !

Watched the fireworks in the Sacramento River tonight we can see them from my rear rear lot behind my backyard we pop up on the roof of the back storage/shop building and put some patio chairs up there it has a flat roof we can see the barge and the firework mortars from there no way you could do it on the house it's just the opposite.

Some folks are selling their back lots around here for individual custom home construction real estate market is on fire in no Cal.
You know it's tight when custom home builders are doing infill housing . I'll make them wait till it goes up some more large no hurry or maybe I will keep it . Any clue what is going to eventually happen to the Sony TV business? .
I'm outta here gotta go watch Fox News hate on on Obama's crew.............. they did him yesterday ☺
Holland isn't far from the UK/rest of Europe, so Philips was always big here in the UK ever since the 1950s. They had factories here too until the 1990s. They were a massive company, made everything from fridges, kettles, shavers, vacuum cleaners, electronics, lightbulbs, chips, computers, hi-fi, phones, had a record label/film company (Polydor/Polygram, now Universal), almost like how Samsung is now. Always well liked and known for good audio products (they owned Marantz for a while). They made picture tubes for everyone (like Samsung with panels now), often Panasonic. You guys had them as Magnavox which I think was a popular brand with your mid-market...?

I really notice the plasma flicker so not really interested in it, although it had a great run for its money. Philips invested heavily in Plasma in 1999-2000 thinking LCD would never take off! Nobody saw the price drop/screen size increase of LCD coming (apart from Samsung and Sharp, of course!).

Think I gave you the wrong idea there. Wasn’t saying IPS panels had VA like contrast (that’s impossible), was saying that a typical movie theatre projector c/r is around 1200:1 like good IPS contrast.

There was an LG model last year with IPS and better contrast, but it was mainly done by contrast stretching and backlighting.

VA is virtually always above 2000:1, but IMO you need at least 3500:1 before you get acceptable/close to CRT/Plasma black levels from an LCD.

No, those X series 4K Sony’s from 2012/3 with Passive3D aren’t IPS, but AUOptronics AMVA+PSA+Passive FPR. The first VA panels to use a PassiveFPR (passive technology licensed from LG).

That R550 model had no UK version, but the 50” which seemed to be the most popular model is using an AUO panel, similar to this year’s W800B and in the UK last year’s W6 series. Sony got the price-quality point right there.

I don’t there’s ever been a Samsung with an IPS panel. The lower end ones will be using AUO, CMI panels.

Foxconn is fine and has made Apple stuff for ages.

Sounds like the real estate market in London which is out of hand. There it’s all foreign (Asian and Arab) investors buying up office blocks and demolishing them and making “luxury” high rise housing that most Londoners can’t afford. It’s got insane.

Sounds like a nice Independence Day. Hope you had fun!

EDIT: Just to add a lot of Vizio TVs are made by TPV who make Philips TVs and own the Philips name for electronics now in Europe. They share some of the same parts and panels (usually AUO or Samsung).

Last edited by loopthrough; 07-05-2014 at 10:02 AM.
post #608 of 1393 Old 07-05-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post
I am thinking about purchasing the 70" 830B or 850B but is 3D really that bad? I am currently using a SHARP 857 LED TV 60" but want to go larger so that is why I am looking at the Sony. I came from a Samsung 50" Plasma so clouding on Sharp is really annoying. Also considering the Sony KDL-65W950B as well. I have seen several Sony sets and the clouding is not nearly as bad it is on Sharp 857. But 3D is important feature to me. The Sharp 857 is active 3D and excels at 3D.
You know what they say about plasma right? once you go there you always go back might want to look at an 64f8500
if you can still find one .The Sony 9x are good and all but lots are having panel troubles with them check out the Sony 9x owners thread here . Folks in the threads here (or anywhere) aren't complementing the Sony 8xx 3D thats for sure .
I like my Sony LED and all good TV but the real TV around here is my Sammy Plasma

Gotta go tea time and all to early for a proper Beefeaters gin and tonic

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-05-2014 at 01:10 PM.
post #609 of 1393 Old 07-05-2014, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
just got my KDL W850B delivered and i'm excited to get to the settings. anyone have any that they are using that they would recommend? thanks so much. my first big screen hdtv.
post #610 of 1393 Old 07-05-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

@ loopthrough, re post # 607

You seem to know your Sonys and some other stuff well . Now I know who to ask if I have a question on Sonys and Samsungs etc. I don't know what I was thinking about Sammy using an IPS panel
AFAIK all their panels and the ones they buy are VA must have had senior moment ha ha good excuse for talking **** I don't know ☺ ☺

Phillips is a big deal in much of the world no lie you can really see that big time when you travel .
in 50's and 60's and actually well before that RCA was like that in the USA they Owned the NBC networks for decades .
being vertically integrated and all made everything in the way of consumer electronics and major appliances,
satellites,computers radio TV transmitters all that stuff like Phillips .

RCA was everywhere back then big record business also they signed Elvis stole him from SUN records in the 50's
The lighting business over here is owned by GE Westinghouse and Sylvania . Phillips has an extraordinary large presence in lighting here also.

GE had a big presence like RCA in the all the same markets also they were both the 800LB Gorillas
and to a lesser extent but not at all insignificant in Radio and TV there was Zenith and Magnavox
at the top also both made good stuff sometimes better than the RCA products they were positioned as premium brands and often were although TOTL RCA and most of their stuff was always pretty good also. everybody paid RCA royalties
there was no such thing as a TV or radio not using RCA patents nada There was time when David Sarnoff could get a meeting with the president any time he wanted.

Some of the RCA circuits were so unconventional ,clever and cheap but at the same time worked very well they always made you scratch your head and say how do they do that? GE tried that also but they weren't near as clever as RCA at that not even close .

I've heard some notice PDP flicker I used to notice it a little bit peripherally on some CRT PC monitors now and then I don't notice it on my Sammy PDP but some notice it more than others maybe their brains have a high bandwidth connection through the optic nerve the rest of us don't ☺☺

Could have sworn at least the R550's were using LGD IPS panels maybe not I got that impression from the owners thread here for some reason or another (maybe another senior moment ☺ ) you know the Sonys and Sammys well that's for sure you can be go to guy around here for those !

I've seen some LGD ips panels at panelook.com with a 5000:1 contrast ratio lot higher than the usuall < 2000:1 ips panels . I wonder if those are the ones Sony is using in some of the 9X sets now ? or are they using any LGD ips at all in the 2014 Sony 9X sets ?

This PC has an IPS panel
good for reading I can't get with the TV thing for desktop PC's (this monitor is running at 2560 x 1440 )although I have the R4 Sony wired up as a second screen in here good for videos and stuff . 1080p doesn't cut it on a 40" + screen as a PC monitor unless all you do is twitch game or watch You Tube then it's fine . . we use another 40 in the studio here on the PC in there to watch videos or put up DAW software for the music stuff. I use the ROKU puck in here for streaming movies Netflix Super HD and Amazon 1080p are pretty good these days .

I think I would rather take my chances with a Philips than Visio even if TPV makes them both
maybe TPV will position Phillips as a premium brand (good opportunity for them to do that )and bin the better parts into the Phillips sets ☺

You are right Foxconn makes some quality stuff like Apple iXX stuff PS 3/4 /X Bone's some Sony TV's HP computers etc in spite of their possibly questionable labor practices from time to time.

That's probably the norm in much of the PRC though especially in the smaller job shops . Used to be like that in much of the Western world before the 19xx years maybe someone should remind the libtards about that. No lack of people wanting jobs there .

I mean like what are the choices for the young adults in the outlying provinces in the PRC "I can stay here and harvest rice in the fields ,maybe watch water buffalos humping now and then for entertainment or go to Foxconn City and screw iPhones together and maybe buy a fake knock off so I can get on alibaba and be cool." Which would most of us choose as an adolescent in that circumstance ? maybe join the PRC army instead ?

OTOH when we had the peacetime draft ( I grew up in that era and came of age during the Vietnam war ) aside from the war a lot of us got squared away that may not have otherwise and were able to get educational assistance
and or buy a home with cheap low down VA home loans after they got out now in this Obama 1% oligarchy they get to live with their parents forever never seen anything like it not the kids fault opportunities are much more limited now.

Friggen DOW busted 17000 WED thats insane all time record the 1% are getting phatt ( my stuff is doing OK also) nothing happening today anyway (Saturday here ) all the movers and shakers and whales are at the hamptons or somewhere out on their yachts sipping Mojitos on the rocks or pulling on a heineken .
You can see where I am here screen geeking on the forum here not a 1% er

Amazing how far The Republic has come in such a short amount time if you think about it ? fabulous place (well some of it anyway )industrious and clever bunch there that's for sure .I liked most of the Chinese I've met or worked with . You just have to take a little time to understand the people and culture they've been around a long time came outta their caves so to speak long before we did interesting people all in all.... heard some great stories about how they handle their criminals over (they don't play there) , you don't want to be on that side of the fence ,some are quite entertaining actually .
You know they don't really have fortune cookies there right?
none of those after the meal there you know !

Lots of Chinese and other foreign investors are buying up properties in No Cal and probably elsewhere now .
Every thing is a bidding war now around here for decent residential properties fixers too !
Don't even think about offering the listing price thats not going to happen. bad thing about that is my property tax is going up this year governments always looking for ways to pick our pockets although the property has doubled in value in the last~ 2 years never seen anything like it it's oustripping the run up we had in the mid 2000's here before the bubble busted values are higher than the peaks were then it's insane anywhere near the bay area here. I should sell out and move to the midwest or the south I could live like a king there .

It's getting close to cocktail time here and time to check in with the BEEB and see what's going on cheerio !

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-05-2014 at 04:59 PM.
post #611 of 1393 Old 07-05-2014, 04:50 PM

Liked: 10
whats the difference between 600b and 800b.
- 60hz vs 120hz
- no 3D vs 3D
-motionflow?
-direct lit vs edge lit?
-vesa mount vs non-vesa

Is the OS and apps the same?

input lag not an issue for me.

I picked up the 800b and I really like the picture. Just wondering if I can downgrade to the 600b and not lose any picture quality and function.

Last edited by cartbaby; 07-05-2014 at 05:28 PM.
post #612 of 1393 Old 07-05-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdudedan View Post
just got my KDL W850B delivered and i'm excited to get to the settings. anyone have any that they are using that they would recommend? thanks so much. my first big screen hdtv.
Start by reading the owners manual ............................ NOT.................... I wouldn't be able to wait !

Look at some of the basic settings I posted on the last few pages here for the R4 and W600B Sonys they would equally apply to the W8XXx..white balance or anything like that and you're on your there .............. I'm jealous ........(not really although I wouldn't throw rocks at one ) .....but I guess I'll have keep slumming it with my Sony R4 and the real TV around here the Sammy PDP ☺ W8XXx are pretty cool enjoy it................ I'll trade you a calibrated R4 for it ☺☺!

EDIT /ADD
The secret to this Sony and almost any other Sony is ,
The Sony Cinema Mode makes some nice accurate natural colors as LCD goes all you have to do is screw up the contrast (picture) and backlight to max in cinema mode (defaults in cinema are way to low ) set the color temp @ neutral so it doesn't push red or blue set your pixel mapping at 1:1 (full pixel) and ofc turn off any energy saver and power saver modes that may be present see what +2 gamma looks like and you are good to go.
Once you set it up like that for the money (even at MSRP. ) it's astonishly good and can spank many and LCD that costs more, way better than how it looks out of the box ! I believe it's pretty much the same set including the panel as the newer W600b .

more :

This is not a calibration but IMO good settings for most Sony that I have used . A full on professional instrument measured calibration is whole different thing some of these settings are the same as my AVS HD.709 visually calibrated settings however .

If you want to break loot and use a professional calibrator (not cheap) I would not discourage it at all they can
quite possibly and not unlikely (and sometimes dramatically )improve the results on any adjustments you make or don't make with or without with these settings just make sure they are ISF or THX certified calibrators .
In any even you can usually expect a professional calibration to be a significant improvement on any set.

This should get you started you can always reset picture modes back to factory settings (reset ) in case you want to
you can also make a day night setting day in general and night in cinema perhaps with day brightness at 55-60 and night at 50-55
for best results all the other setting should be same between the 2 modes *if you are trying to make a day nite thing * .
This is not a calibration that's a whole different level just adjustments derived from my DIY calibration I've found that work well on most Sonys I am not a trained or certified calibrator those guys cost loot and are highly trained
if you have the loot for a professional calibration it would be good choice for some !

Took a long time to get this down . because every time you make a small change in one thing it can affect another that affects another and so on . You alway have the option to re set to Sony defaults if you prefer that feel free to experiment a little you can't hurt it in the user menu

.DO not go in to the service menu unless you know exactly what you are doing and what version of firmware your set is using one wrong move in there and you may suddenly have a permanent 40" dark silent book end
beside on this set there is nothing to affect the picture in the service menu .

B]FWIW Turn off all the ECO/Energy Saver crap and brightness and /or backlight sensors .* if any are present *[/B]

For the most accurate colors put it in Cinema mode and screw
the contrast (picture ) to max same thing with the backlight .they are way to low out of the box !
you might want to do that in all the modes as well some of the other settings esp. gamma in each mode and each input
I leave the color temp at vivid is sports mode for effect but I usually don't use it, tweaked Cinema is usually the best on a Sony

The Cinema mode /scene select will turn off all the other advanced settings crap you don't need for a good picture

Best to set color temp at neutral in most modes and particularly Cinema Sonys like to push red if you don't (been that way forever ) and some blues can take on a lavender tint and it can otherwise skew the yellows ,greens and magenta ,
set it too cool and it pushes blue like a Cheap Emerson, Dynex or Westinghouse at WM or Target in store or torch mode !

Advanced settings Cine motion should be auto though thats your 3:2 pull down for 24p film content (movies )
In advanced settings Gamma at +2 usually helps with picture detail on Sonys also

Fageet about any motion settings or blinking back lights /edge lights or frame dimming

I would keep the brightness and color saturation about 50-55 no more than 60 on either one otherwise excessive brightness you will kill your blacks and thus contrast and might lose detail and see blooming and/ or a washed out picture excessive color saturation skews the colors and kills picture detail .

Sharpness on a Sony with a VA panel probably about 17 most other sets a lot less .

contrary to popular wisdom contrast sets white levels and Brightness sets black levels no lie !

Oh in the screen setting menu set your screen pixel mapping @1:1 (full pixel very important ) ,auto wide ON ,4:3 default OFF ,Auto Display area OFF very important !

Note : if full pixel is not right your brand new 1080p set is suddenly a 720p set no matter what the display info banner says no lie !

PS : I will PM you the invoice and my bank routing number for this consultation ☺

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-05-2014 at 09:54 PM.
post #613 of 1393 Old 07-05-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartbaby View Post
whats the difference between 600b and 800b.
- 60hz vs 120hz
- no 3D vs 3D
-motionflow?
-direct lit vs edge lit?
-vesa mount vs non-vesa

Is the OS and apps the same?

input lag not an issue for me.

I picked up the 800b and I really like the picture. Just wondering if I can downgrade to the 600b and not lose any picture quality and function.
re tubetwister

A lot of that depends on what you watch/do with the TV 3D/2D difference by itself has no effect on 2D picture
Both have VA panels with very similar specifications and capabilities with the 8XXx being an AUO AMVA-5 panel
and the XXW600 being a A samsung S-PVA panel with a Foxconn backlight decent all in all .

On CATV/SAT considering all the compression artifacts and noise present in the signal I expect if the W600 was set up
correctly (not left to it's own default presets ) the difference (if any ) may not be very significant (you can only put so much lipstick on a pig after all that being the signal ) . The W600 calibrated or set up properly *might be closer* than one would ordinarily think YMMV.

The panels other than native refresh rates have very similar specifications and are both VA types
Keep in mind HDMI 1.X -2.0 can only support *up to a 60Hz fps/refresh rate* so anything above that and the TV is just repeating frames sometimes that can smooth out motion blur and judder .

OTOH I would expect the 8XX may have superior black levels and because of that may have a better picture in low light or no light and also on Blue rays under most conditions YMMV on all the above.
motionflow is something you will usually want turned off anyway
direct vs edge lit should not be as big of an issue with the AUO AMVA-5 panels as some others .YMMV

They should both be using the same Sony XBMC based "smart TV" browser nothing a $50.00 Roku stick or puck can't do much better ☺

No vesa mount can limit your choice of mounting hardware to a Sony part or a universal type .

Best thing to do is try to view both sets in similar conditions in a few different modes and at similar settings.

PS : I will PM you the invoice and my bank routing number for this consultation ☺

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-05-2014 at 09:32 PM.
post #614 of 1393 Old 07-06-2014, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukichon View Post
As there are 599 replies, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for calibration settings for a 40", thanks
You can find one caliberated setting here
http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...-3/the-science
For me this setting would be a bit dark and reddish.
tubetwister likes this.
post #615 of 1393 Old 07-06-2014, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guite View Post
guite is on point*maybe * Too dark and to red ( I looked at it )

EDIT see the bottom paragraph first
Yukichon ,
screw the back light way up (max )put it in cinema mode or cinema mode 1 whichever you have you*can use general but without instruments use cinema thats going to give you the most accurate color on a visual set a neutral color temp

(with these settings ) try a + 2 gamma and see how your fine picture detail ( dark and near black ) your transitions /shadows and s**t

gamma sets the amount of difference between light and dark ((sort of ) and can if set right improve the picture dramatically if wrong it can make your 8XX look like a $500.00 Dynex !

Talking head tidy whitey forehead wrinkles works great for setting gamma even better with a bald mofo !
look for the forehead wrinkle detail when it is showing if it doesn't find another bald mo fo on another channel (FOX or CNN news is the spot ) works every time

all these web magazine calibrations are done in pitch black rooms because that is the only condition they can reasonably
duplicate (dark is dark ) if you get my drift so pretty much their backlight ,contrast ,maybe brightness setting and by implication gamma *may be *wrong unless you only watch in pitch black and anybody that knows Sonys will tell you they push red like a mofo on warm color temp been that way since the 90's trinitrons . you can vary brightness by as much as 10pt between day night you shouldn't have to change anything else between day night.

if this work for you let us know if it doesn't let us know and why and what you ended up with
if you want to break out with some loot ( a few hundred or so ) you can always have a professional
calibrator (THX or ISF certified) come over and give you day night settings if you have the spare loot and are not satisfied with your results then that is an option .In any event that would probably present the best result in *your environment * not the web magazine room (been there done that ) not everyone gets it copying a dark room calibration is not going to help much unless that is your environment and even then the warm color temp is too much red on a sony
not to mention each set requires its OWN calibration (each set vary ) if you want to go that way
. watch your color saturation also that can screw things up in a major way most folks
and pre sets have it too ass high if you want to fine tune it (highly recommended ) download and use this Sony color test .
use the red and blue videos the others are just for show .

PS I took another look at the linked calibration and see that they cooled off the red push with the white balance
the rest doesn't look to bad at all the I would screw up the back light to MAX (maybe 5-10pt brightness more for daytime ) set the color temp at neut maybe but no harm in trying what they have they were smart enough to use cinema modethat gains a lot of points it is given on a sony

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-06-2014 at 11:56 AM.
post #616 of 1393 Old 07-06-2014, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks guys, really appreciate the help....will give them both a go and see what works out
post #617 of 1393 Old 07-06-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

4 Sony black level + contrast Comparison

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/sony

2013 Sony 40 R4 Black: 0.022 cd/m2 Contrast: 4750 : 1

2014 Sony W600B Black: 0.026 cd/m2 Contrast: 3500 : 1

2014 Sony W800B Black: 0.020 cd/m2 Contrast: 5260 : 1

2014 Sony W950B Black: 0.111 cd/m2 Contrast: 942 : 1

"The Sony W950B LED TV has a low contrast because it uses an IPS panel. Even if you have 1 or 2 lights on, you will notice the poor blacks."
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/sony/w950b

OFC when the mighty Sony 9x cranks up it's bag of magic silicon tricks as only Sony can do so well it has a remarkable picture widely regarded as possibly the best 2014 LCD on the planet thus far .

The 2014 W600 black levels and contrast while still good are a little behind the 2013 R4
that pretty much explains the R 4 picture goodness it should compare to the W6
in many cases and best it in *some cases depending on the source going by the more than
adequate (actually excellent ) black and contrast goodness of the R4 's

However it's a different story altogether with the 2014 Sony W800B and by implication the W850B
that best most of the other sets in this comparison and many others including the Sony W950B black level/contrast.

It would seem the Sony W800/850B would be the sweet spot at Sony with respect to price vs performance

Going by the panel specs I guess the old adage still rings true "you gets what you pays for "

A comparison adding a 2014 Toshiba 50L1400U + 2014 Visio E480i B2 to these comparisons ( New Thread ) can be seen here .
4 Sony + 1 Toshiba +1 Visio black level /contrast Comparison

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-06-2014 at 05:51 PM.
post #618 of 1393 Old 07-06-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

List of 2014 Sony EU Panels

Note: I believe I found it here at AVS (or somewhere obviously ) I did not retain or remeber the URL (otherwise I could just link this .)
So Kudos to the original poster for this let us know who you are if you see this and I can add in the proper attribution .

The problem is now .......... I can't remember what I had for lunch (or was it breakfast ?) and I don't want to have the same thing for dinner

Sony 40W605B - Samsung (LSY400HM0302) - 50Hz
Sony 42W605B - AUO (T420HVF04.0) - 50Hz
Sony 48W605B - Samsung (LSY480HN0101) - 50Hz

Sony 50W705B - (AUO - AMVA5)
Sony 50W706B - (AUO - AMVA5)

Sony 42W705B - AUO (T420HVF06.0) - 100Hz
Sony 42W706B - AUO (T420HVF06.0) - 100Hz

Sony 42W800B - passive 3D AUO (T420HVJ02-0)
Sony 42W805B - passive 3D AUO (T420HVJ02-0)
Sony 42W815B - passive 3D AUO (T420HVJ02-0)
Sony 42W817B - passive 3D AUO (T420HVJ02-0)

Sony 47W807B - passive 3D S-IPS (LC470EUF-FFP2)

Sony 50W805B - active 3D (AUO - AMVA5)
Sony 50W815B - active 3D (AUO - AMVA5)
Sony 50W817B - active 3D (AUO - AMVA5)
Sony 50W828B - active 3D (AUO - AMVA5)
Sony 50W829B - active 3D (AUO - AMVA5)

Sony 55W805B - active 3D AUO (T550HVF05-0) - 100Hz
Sony 55W807B - passive 3D (IPS)
Sony 55W815B - active 3D (AMVA5) - 100Hz

Sony 60W855B - ND4Y600LNX0101 (Samsung-SPVA4) - 100Hz

Sony 55W955B - S-IPS LG (LC550EUF-FGF1) - 100hz

Sony 65X9005B - AUO (T650QVN01.0) - 100Hz
Sony 85X9505B - CMO (V850DK1-KD1) - 100H

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-06-2014 at 05:52 PM.
post #619 of 1393 Old 07-06-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

OH looks like 3 of LGD ips panels in the mix 2 being passive 3D and the other looks like a 100Hz (120Hz US) 2D panel

+ 2 Samsung 50/60 Hz S-PVA panels +1 Samsung 50/ 60 Hz SPVA4 panel
a bunch of AUO panels and a large 85" CMO 100/120 Hz panel

Wow lots of Sony 7x and 8x models in the UE maybe loopthrough can enlighten us
( he's our default go to guy for Sony ,Samsung and some other stuff ) ? somebody told him right ? ☺☺

I'm assuming the 7x sets are a bridge model between 6x - 8x models .
Maybe these all include UAE (specific sales channel )and possibly some regional variants ?
I wonder where many of these 6x 7x 8x and the 9x are grown at Foxconn Mexico ? Foxconn Asia or UE
maybe some Sony Taiwan or Japan ?

Looks like AUO panels are ruling the roost over there at Sony for the most part
did someone(s) at Sony get bribed ☺☺☺ just kidding . Beats a panel lottery though at least you know what you are getting !

I wonder who else is using AUO panels in volume (maybe Samsung and some PRC brands ?) the ones in the Sony 8x have stonkingly good blacks and contrast specs although not many compliments on the AUO active 3D which is said to be not to hot.

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-06-2014 at 04:40 PM.
post #620 of 1393 Old 07-06-2014, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Sony of course especially the 800B
I do think I will be picking up the Sony 800B so my last question will be what's a good sound bar to get? I really want to be able to hear things for games like Dead Space, Outlast, etc.

Also if anyone knows a place that has the 800B on sale feel free to chime in :-)
post #621 of 1393 Old 07-06-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCruzin View Post
I do think I will be picking up the Sony 800B so my last question will be what's a good sound bar to get? I really want to be able to hear things for games like Dead Space, Outlast, etc.

Also if anyone knows a place that has the 800B on sale feel free to chime in :-)
No clue on the sound bars maybe a decent 2.1 set up perhaps ?

According to my price blink browser extension (it's very good btw it has saved me a ton)
the going price for those today is $998.00 and the cheapest price today ( 50W800B ) is also $998.00
never shop without it ! It's also at the Chrome Web Store no included male ware .

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-06-2014 at 06:08 PM.
post #622 of 1393 Old 07-06-2014, 08:08 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by guite View Post
i used these settings on my 60W850B and then applied tubetwister's recommendation of neutral instead of the warm2 for color mode. i actually enjoy the backlighting at 4 like recommended in the link. i run my tv in a dark basement. very happy with the overall outcome.

for the ps4 video gaming i just use the standard game mode which seems to work just fine. call of duty was pretty sweet last night. thanks for all the help fellers.
post #623 of 1393 Old 07-06-2014, 09:53 PM

Liked: 0
What's the best settings for playing ps4 ?

I tried the cinema mode like people here suggest and it's good for movies and netflix

Anything for game play?
post #624 of 1393 Old 07-06-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by young_makaveli View Post
What's the best settings for playing ps4 ?

I tried the cinema mode like people here suggest and it's good for movies and netflix

Anything for game play?
game mode default ofc if in other than dark room screw up the back light and have a coke

maybe similar settings to above linked calibration in gamenode YMMV
Cinema mode or Cinema 1 is closest or at rec.709 or more specifically ITU-R Recommendation BT.709, specification

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-06-2014 at 10:22 PM.
post #625 of 1393 Old 07-06-2014, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Is anybody still having problems with radial banding on the 70w850b? Earlier in this thread folks were posting pictures and sending sets back to Sony.
post #626 of 1393 Old 07-07-2014, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hey Guys,

I'm in the UK so my Product numbers may be a little off, so sorry about that.

I've been extensively reading up on TVs over the last month, and I'm really getting my head in a spin trying to pick one.

I have a 4 year old Sony, one of their first 3D TVs (I think it's an KDL-46HX8##) and I have always loved it. However i need a size upgrade as I recently moved and it looks really small especially now that I sit much further away from it. I'm looking at getting a 60" or 65" and have toyed with the idea of getting a 4K TV although I don't know if it's the right time yet. I almost bought an X850b 4K TV but read somewhere that it uses the same LG panels that are in the W950b and it is not getting favorable reviews from what I can see. There doesn't seem to be any reviews of the X850b anywhere yet either, so I can't even get a critical view on it.

Sony has just launched (I think) the W850b over here and it only comes in a 60" version. It doesn't have the Triluminous display but it uses similar panel tech to the X9000b 4K TV (which I would buy if it wasn't for the ridiculous speakers) and going through the specs it seems like it could be a good choice. However, once again there are no reviews online for it and I can't find any owners that seem to have their thoughts on it.

Does anyone have any experience with this TV, the W850b? I will use this TV for movie watching and video gaming, so it needs to meet an acceptable input lag as well. I have no idea what my current TV input lag is, but it must be pretty good as I have had no issues with it at all when in Game mode.

Also, can the Wedge W850b be mounted to the wall?

Thanks

This is the Specs for the TV in the UK:

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/te...specifications
post #627 of 1393 Old 07-07-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy59 View Post

Also, can the Wedge W850b be mounted to the wall?

Thanks
Can't speak to your other concerns, as I am still doing my own research, but the wedge TVs can be mounted to the wall. They come with spacers to level them out for mounting.
post #628 of 1393 Old 07-07-2014, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
how important is the triluminos/ quantum dots tech? I heard it makes colors pop more even without the triluminos contents.
post #629 of 1393 Old 07-07-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
game mode default ofc if in other than dark room screw up the back light and have a coke

maybe similar settings to above linked calibration in gamenode YMMV
Cinema mode or Cinema 1 is closest or at rec.709 or more specifically ITU-R Recommendation BT.709, specification
Thank you I'll try this
post #630 of 1393 Old 07-07-2014, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy59 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with this TV, the W850b? I will use this TV for movie watching and video gaming, so it needs to meet an acceptable input lag as well.

Here is my review posted earlier. According to displaylag.com, the KDL-60W850B has input laf of only 23ms, which is fantastic!!

My TV has some minor uniformity issues, photos of which are at the bottom of this post. It could be my eyes, but it seems to be slowly diminishing as time goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by interfreak View Post
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, there are zero other issues with the set, it really is an awesome TV. I upgraded from a Sharp LC46LE830X, which was a pretty awesome set (contrast was phenomenal) but was starting to look a bit small lol. This TV had pretty good uniformity across the screen, but perhaps the upgrade from 46" to 60" has 'amplified' inherent flaws so to speak.

Here's my review on this TV I posted elsewhere, it might help you with your decision:

Have had a good play with the TV over the weekend and yesterday (was a public holiday where I live). My primary use of the TV is gaming, followed by streaming services (HULU, Netflix) and then FTA TV.

Good points:
  • The design is minimalist, but very sleek and elegant. It fits in perfectly with my existing lounge room tech (360, PS4, XB1, HiFi etc).
  • The feet can be moved inwards towards the centre for those that have a narrow TV stand to put it on, or you can put the feet all the way out to the edges – thank you Sony!
  • Input lag is amazing, MUCH better than the Sharp LC46LE830X it replaced. I didn't even have to much of an issue with the Sharp, but honestly it's like night and day in this regard!
  • The boot up time is only a matter of seconds – although it take a bit longer to access any of the menus. Regardless, you can view TV within seconds.
  • The screen has excellent black levels, with minimal clouding on black backgrounds. Colours can be made to pop, and there is ample options to adjust the picture to your liking.
  • The screen size is sublime – 55-60" is the real sweet spot at the moment for TV's, everything looks fantastic on it and it's not overwhelming (I sit about 2.5m from the TV)
  • The inbuilt speakers are awesome for a TV!!
Not so good points:
  • Screen uniformity is slightly off. For instance, the bottom LH corner is a tiny bit darker than normal, and I guess all the corners suffer from this. A lot of this comes down to the viewing angles though, and is certainly not an issue in normal viewing – and in fact is a bug bear of most LED/LCD TV panels.
  • The remote could be simpler, and better designed. It looks like every other Sony TV remote launched in the last decade, which is not necessarily bad but it would have been nice to have better inputs for say moving the mouse curser or using the smart TV side. Having said that, there is an optional 'mouse remote' of sorts – here's a pic of both the standard remote, and the optional one:
http://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/03/27/cab4d2c8-f9c4-45d0-8084-842f19ceb8cd/resize/770x578/734f6e99f5d7fc421dfbcbdd9a1e515f/sony-kdl-60w850b-04.jpg
  • Contrast could be better – particularly in dark scenes. I've noticed on some games that blacks are a bit crushed, whereas the Sharp handled this quite well. Probably more down to me fine tuning things a bit more to get the best picture.
  • Opening the 'Options' menu (to adjust picture settings etc) is not always straight forward, and when this menu refuses to open their is not much information provided to tell you what to do to get around this issue.. For instance, with the PS4 connected I could not open the options menu to change anything. I eventually worked out (on my own) that you need to click the 'Sync Menu' button on the top of the remote, then go to 'TV Control', and then the Options menu. This also happened when I try and access the Options menu when I select the input for my HiFi system...quite confusing and perhaps unnecessary.
All in all, this is a fantastic TV – if you're a gamer you MUST consider this TV, or others in the Sony stable with low input lag!!

There was a 'free PS4' promotion with the TV which was a very nice sweetener, when I sell it will mean that I scored this TV for about $1550 (Assuming I can sell the PS4 for ~AUD$450).

This picture shows the what I was talking about earlier, with a more pronounced 'darkening' in the bottom LH corner, extending slightly up the LH side. The artefact on the middle LH side I cannot see at all normally:

Here is a picture of the whole screen:

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 55w900a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page