AVS Forum banner

Sony 2014 W600B,W800B,W850B

466K views 3K replies 444 participants last post by  clark17 
#1 ·
#702 ·
Yes, there's some of that on the 50w800b too. Not that major, subtle and about 5px all around.

How are people finding the screen bleed on the 800b, I've got some, not massive but imt coming from plazma
The actually noticeable only bleed I have on my 50w800b are the two ridiculous rabbit ears above the Sony logo. I was hoping that completely disabling the activity led would fix that, but it's still there on a black screen, seems unrelated to that. It's a really weird shortcoming, but other that that I'd say bleed and uniformity are quite good for a edge-lit display, definitely some of the better I've seen.

#701 ·
Not sure if I should take my 50w800b back or not,

Im coming from plasma to this tv and when watching at night and the screen goes black, top right and a little down the bottom I get some bleeding, not sure if this is normal or not.

Anyone able to check on theirs for me to confirm if they get this, tried testing in store but due to all the store downlights, can't see anything.

#704 ·
I just pulled the trigger on a KDL-70W850B
I kept trying to not want it. But the picture quality kept me coming back. I was really only down to this set and the Sharps. The reason being that I despise glossy screens (which knocked out the Samsung 75"). It has to be a matte screen for me.
The reason that I wanted to not go with Sony is because since 1999, I have owned 4 Sony HDTVs/ (2 CRT and 2 LCD)
Both CRTs developed problems. (1 I lived with and the other had to be repaired).
Of the 2 LCDs. One has an intermittent problem.

So, 75% of the Sony HDTVs I've owned have had problems. Not a good track record.
The other issue with this set is what I could consider an ugly design. This set will be replacing a 2 year old Sharp 60". I like the thinness of the Sharp. This goofy wedge shape may bug me (as I would imagine it would move the TV a bit off of the wall and leave a big gap at the top)

But the picture is what kept me coming back.

#706 · (Edited)
Fraction of the cost?? Information gleaned from forums like this is not an indicator of the overall quality of any brand. You won't see too many people here or most any other serious forum taking the time to chime in to brag about how great their TV's are. Most people come here for basic information or to complain. Sony's are not junk this year nor were great last year. Sony, like many companies, buy their panels from outside manufactures. They choose the panels based on what product they feel is best for them to sell. Most panel construction quality is pretty good but what sets Sony and several other major brand name displays apart is the quality of the other components used, like capacitors etc. Some display features are dictated by the marketing dept. which is why you see the wedge shape on several 2014 displays. Somebody decided that these TV's needed better sound systems built in. I guess they felt that the majority of potential buyers would go for that even though I personally disagree. The 70w850b, 65w950, 65s990a all have the wedge and are quite heavy because of it. Not a deal breaker for most.

#708 ·
No, im going by reviews and people who owned last years 850a and 900a. Did you see the price of those 2 tv's when they came out? They say 950b is the replacement of 900a. Both 55 inches. Yet 900a was almost or 3000 dollars. The 55 in 950b is 1599. The same thing goes for 850a and 850b. When i read reviews of people comparing them doesnt make sense. The difference jn price alone should let you know its a step backwards.i didnt say anything about bragging. I figured everyone in this thread was a sony owner :)

#715 ·
I did a side by side comparison of the w850a from last year and the w850b from this year (even though it isn't the successor, the w950b is) and I have to say the picture quality on the w850b ended up being more satisfying. I'm not saying the colors or blacks were better, but the uniformity and absence of vignetting inherent to triluminos panels (dark shadow pillars on the edges and corners) made all the difference. From what I read most content doesn't even take advantage of triluminos anyways. Cnet also did a review and said that the w850b had black levels close to the 2013 w900a, which is pretty good. Yes the newer sets don't have the better specs on paper but they're not that bad.

#717 ·
Just a couple of weeks ago on the 65w850a thread folks were buying this set for $1499 and reported that Best Buy was price matching. It seems that most places, including Sony Store now show out of stock. It's difficult to compare the 70w850b to the 950 because the 950 is not available in a 70in version. The 950 one ups the 850 by incorporating the TRILUMINUCE color filter and X-Tended Dynamic Range. I re visited the 65s990 thread and am thinking it may be very similar to the 65w850a in perormance. Also I see the 65x850a for under $2900.

#746 · (Edited)
panel version ( *can be * size dependent

50" will be active 3D (AUO - AMVA5)

55 * may be active 3D AUO (T550HVF05-0) - 100Hz

55 * may be passive 3D (S-IPS) LGD ( LG Display )

60 can be ND4Y600LNX0101 (Samsung-SPVA4) - 10 (most likely the only 60" )

70 *can be (Samsung-SPVA4) something can be something else also
"

Good view angle not so hot contrast blacks in this case 55" = LGD S- IPS

Poor view angle very good black /contrast = VA panel either Samsng SPVA4 (60" only ) or AUO AMVA other size

60"Sammy panel is 6 bit /8 bit overdrive display mode panel can be real decent if adjusted right out of box pre sets are lame anyway for money I will tell you how .... or you can just look back a few days to one of my earlier post :D

You should be able to determine panel very easy from above not reccomended to go to service menu if you don't know
poke around in there ,change wong thing by accident or pourpose (TV does not care wich ) you will have an irreparable
big screen book end maybe . service codes cost money but I'm all out of them sold the last one to another guy:D

NO color management s#!t in there any way just use list . if you are OOW you own it anyway do-sent matter anyway:D

#725 ·
Hey gang, I'm not sure if this is a good deal, but Best Buy has the kdl60W850b for $1449 in NE Ohio. They are sneaky though, you have to put it in your cart and go to checkout before they will show you the pricing. Anyway, the cheapest I've been seeing them around here is $1599.

Steve

#726 ·
A few years back the Sony sets had the "auto-dimming" that was quite annoying when watching movies that transitioned from bright to dark scenes a lot. The new sets also auto-dim correct? Have they improved on it over the past 5 years? Which setting is responsible for turning it off/on?

#729 · (Edited)
Hey guys!

I mentioned a while back, that I had some screen uniformity issues with my KDL60W850B, specifically 'shadows' in the corners and along the edges:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd....359_506088972870856_8034392481310651219_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd....016_506088969537523_7409518192457992331_n.jpg

Thanks to WhiteSands, I have been able to minimise this effect using the 'ice trick', I was actually quite shocked that it worked lol. The steps to this trick are:

1. First off, you heat the TV up for 2 to 3 hours by setting it on Vivid while showing a picture.

2. Get a soft microfibre cloth and fold it a few times where it was maybe 9" X 3 1/2 to 4" wide and a few folds thick. Wet the cloth and squeeze out some of the water.

3. Place the cloth flat in the freezer. I watched a 2 hour movie during that time on Vivid.

4. Take out the frozen cloth after a few hours and then very slowly rub one edge of the
screen, rubbing onto the screen maybe 3 inches. Try and do this whilst on a solid white background as it will help you to see the vignetting on the sides a lot easier, so you can target that area. You should see the dark sides go away slowly as you rub the side.

5. Once done, flip the cloth over and rub on the other edge of the TV the same way.

I noticed an instant improvement, and will give this a few more goes and see how I go! WhitSands says the issue should slowly disappear over time the more the TV is used. I will post some pics after another 'treatment' later on. :)

#742 · (Edited)
My dad has the KDLHX729 from a few years ago. I've wanted his TV since he got it. I thought the 48" 600B would probably meet my needs, as his tv is 3 years old now. But I did notice that the 600B is 60 hz, compared to his 120 hz.

Which makes me think of 2 questions:

1. does it make any sense to buy any TV that is 3 years old? Just based on a hz increase?

2. the 50" 800B is a bit out of my price range, but I'm torn between the two (the other being the 48" 600B). If there was a non-smart and non-3D version of the 800b (or the 600b for that matter), I'd go for it to try to save some money (I'm going to use my Roku no matter what).

In terms of 800B vs 600B, I dunno how much it will matter or how much I would even notice. I'm going from a *very* mediocre TV (an old 20 inch Zenith that is 5+ years old!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.