AVS Forum banner

Sony 2014 W600B,W800B,W850B

466K views 3K replies 444 participants last post by  clark17 
#1 ·
#758 ·
After a pretty decent amount of research I have decided on the 50W800B for my new display. Just waiting to free up the cash now - might be ready to buy sometime in the fall. My requirements are:

- about 75/25 HT/gaming ratio
- medium bright room, with no direct sunlight
- great bang for the buck, at $1000 or less

(1) Anything else I should consider?

(2) How are the smart TV features on the W800B series? I currently use a PS3 for all media playback except cable TV: DVD/BD, video files (avi, mpg), and streaming apps (Amazon & Netflix). I am really looking forward to going straight from the TV and not using the PS3 for all but the DVD/BD playback. I especially like that the USB on the W800B series can be NTFS format and plays mkv files - anyone tried this yet? And how well do the streaming apps work?

Thanks,
Brian

#760 ·
There was a question posted about this TV a couple pages back, but no one responded so I'm going to try again. Does anyone own, or have any personal opinions on the Sony W630B? I was at a Best Buy the other day and the picture on this TV looked very good to my eyes, and the price is relatively low. This is probably partially because it lacks 3D, which is perfect for me because I am not interested in that feature. My only issue is there doesn't seem to be many reviews on it, which has me a little hesitant on pulling the trigger.

Thanks,
Jason

#762 ·
Too good to be true???

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=SNKDL50W800B&id=SNKDL50W800B&&kbid=*

I just bought the 48W600B from BB. Like the set, not the mounting option. May see if BB will price match and upgrade to the 800.

marty
Precisely too good to be true. Abes of Maine deals in the "gray market" which means they advertise at low prices and then after you place an order, try to tack on additional costs such as expedited shipping, insurance, warranty, etc. I don't have experience with them but others claim that if you don't go along with their upsell, your order gets lost in limbo and becomes a pain to cancel. I believe they are typically also not authorized sellers, which makes the TV warranty sketchy.

You could try to get your local Best Buy to price match, but it is extremely YMMV as they are not an official pricematch website per BB's policy.

Edit: Also should note that the 50W800B has a quirky mounting scheme which requires an adapter or some clever solutions if you want to use a VESA mount. Not sure if your 600B is similar, but the 800B will likely pose some annoyances if you are looking for an easy mounting solutions.

#763 · (Edited)
I have first hand experience with Abe's of Maine. i tried to purchase a Sony 50W800B display from them and i used my credit card via PayPal just to be sure I was covered in the event of a scam. Sure enough within a few days i got the call. The rep first asked if i was going to be wall mounting, and was most certainly going to start the premium mount upsell. But i said i was just going to use the stand and to my surprise he didn't push any further on hardware extras. but then started the shipping nonsense. Their fake "free shipping" is probably the biggest part of the trick, as it is completely uninsured and, as he told me, packages change hands through multiple freight shippers before it reaches you, which of course means the real possibility of damage. so for my protection he highly recommended using FedEx or UPS. the standard rate for this service is an extra $199 but he was prepared to make me the generous offer of something like $110 instead. when i said i wasn't interested, we then went back & forth on a sort of haggling exchange, wherein he asked me the price I saw on Amazon and finally offered me gift certificates to "local businesses & restaurants" to justify the extra he wanted me to agree to (wha??). Anyway, it became clear i wasn't going to get away with a price that was significantly less than Amazon (maybe like $30 less or something). To end the exchange i told him i simply don't want to pay anything more than the still pending PayPal charge, so he agreed to cancel the order. I must say he was very polite through the whole thing (as was I) and not at all pushy either. The pending order was off my PayPal account within a day or two. So no big deal really, it was worth a try just to see what it was all about.

So i guess if you're really dead set on saving a few bucks it might be way to go, but there is one other thing to consider: the fine print in their Terms, especially the shipping and warranty. It wasn't really clear to me how the merch is warranted. I'm almost positive these guys (and the rest of their ilk online) are not authorized retailers for many manufacturers so i don't know what happens in the event of a defective item. No returns are allowed on almost anything from what I can tell. And then there is this bit of oddness on their website:

"TV/Big Screen/Rear Projection/Monitor/Large Appliances and Fitness Policies

For Televisions Large Appliances and Fitness equipment our standard shipping is curbside. We do have White Glove delivery available for an additional fee. It includes delivery into your home, inspection and plugging into an electrical outlet. It does not include assembly or any type of installation. White Glove delivery allows you to inspect your equipment for any damages and defects before accepting delivery.

Televisions, Large appliance and Fitness equipment purchases are special orders and cannot be canceled prior to the shipment of the order. Customers cannot cancel an order that is en route. TV/Big Screen/Rear Projection/Monitors and Large Appliance orders come with full Manufacturer's Warranties. Most include in-home service.

TV/Big Screen/Rear Projection/Monitors and Large Appliances are not returnable to Abe's of Maine. If initially defective they must be serviced by an Authorized Service Technician. Abe's of Maine can help you locate your nearest Authorized Service Technician.

Upon delivery, it is the consumer's sole responsibility to inspect the TV/Big Screen/Rear Projection/ Monitor/Large Appliances to insure that it is not physically damaged.

We make every effort to pack your items securely and use reputable shipping companies. It is rare that damages occur.
DO NOT SIGN the delivery manifest until you have inspected the TV/Big Screen/Rear Projection/Monitor/Appliance. Once the consignee signs for the item, you are signing acceptance of the product physically as is and CANNOT refute the charges for a physically damaged unit from that point forward. If the merchandise is damaged, please make a notation on the delivery manifest, and have the delivery person sign as a witness to the damage. Please note all original packaging must be kept in order to file a claim.

If you are refusing the delivery of an undamaged TV or appliance, you are responsible for the shipping, handling, and insurance charges for the delivery BOTH WAYS. Shipping charges are $200 each way. Please note that a refund will be issued for the cost of the product only. You will not be reimbursed for the shipping, handling, and insurance charges.

If your television or appliance does arrive damaged please contact our customer service department immediately at 800-992-2237 ext. 2 so that we can arrange for a replacement to be shipped out. Please note that all televisions with 6 or less dead pixels is industry standard for all manufacturer's. There will be no refunds or exchanges for television with 6 or less dead pixels. If a TV or an appliance is shipped to a freight forwarder and signed by the freight forwarder as received with no claims, Abe's of Maine is not responsible for the TV at that point. All claims must be filed with your freight forwarder.

Due to the value and delicate nature of the product you ordered a separate insurance fee may apply. You will be contacted after checkout and notified of the amount."

So is all this uncertainty worth saving literally a couple bucks? Not to me.

#850 ·
I have first hand experience with Abe's of Maine. i tried to purchase a Sony 50W800B display from them and i used my credit card via PayPal just to be sure I was covered in the event of a scam. Sure enough within a few days i got the call. The rep first asked if i was going to be wall mounting, and was most certainly going to start the premium mount upsell. But i said i was just going to use the stand and to my surprise he didn't push any further on hardware extras. but then started the shipping nonsense. Their fake "free shipping" is probably the biggest part of the trick, as it is completely uninsured and, as he told me, packages change hands through multiple freight shippers before it reaches you, which of course means the real possibility of damage. so for my protection he highly recommended using FedEx or UPS. the standard rate for this service is an extra $199 but he was prepared to make me the generous offer of something like $110 instead. when i said i wasn't interested, we then went back & forth on a sort of haggling exchange, wherein he asked me the price I saw on Amazon and finally offered me gift certificates to "local businesses & restaurants" to justify the extra he wanted me to agree to (wha??). Anyway, it became clear i wasn't going to get away with a price that was significantly less than Amazon (maybe like $30 less or something). To end the exchange i told him i simply don't want to pay anything more than the still pending PayPal charge, so he agreed to cancel the order. I must say he was very polite through the whole thing (as was I) and not at all pushy either. The pending order was off my PayPal account within a day or two. So no big deal really, it was worth a try just to see what it was all about.

So i guess if you're really dead set on saving a few bucks it might be way to go, but there is one other thing to consider: the fine print in their Terms, especially the shipping and warranty. It wasn't really clear to me how the merch is warranted. I'm almost positive these guys (and the rest of their ilk online) are not authorized retailers for many manufacturers so i don't know what happens in the event of a defective item. No returns are allowed on almost anything from what I can tell. And then there is this bit of oddness on their website:

"TV/Big Screen/Rear Projection/Monitor/Large Appliances and Fitness Policies

For Televisions Large Appliances and Fitness equipment our standard shipping is curbside. We do have White Glove delivery available for an additional fee. It includes delivery into your home, inspection and plugging into an electrical outlet. It does not include assembly or any type of installation. White Glove delivery allows you to inspect your equipment for any damages and defects before accepting delivery.

Televisions, Large appliance and Fitness equipment purchases are special orders and cannot be canceled prior to the shipment of the order. Customers cannot cancel an order that is en route. TV/Big Screen/Rear Projection/Monitors and Large Appliance orders come with full Manufacturer's Warranties. Most include in-home service.

TV/Big Screen/Rear Projection/Monitors and Large Appliances are not returnable to Abe's of Maine. If initially defective they must be serviced by an Authorized Service Technician. Abe's of Maine can help you locate your nearest Authorized Service Technician.

Upon delivery, it is the consumer's sole responsibility to inspect the TV/Big Screen/Rear Projection/ Monitor/Large Appliances to insure that it is not physically damaged.

We make every effort to pack your items securely and use reputable shipping companies. It is rare that damages occur.
DO NOT SIGN the delivery manifest until you have inspected the TV/Big Screen/Rear Projection/Monitor/Appliance. Once the consignee signs for the item, you are signing acceptance of the product physically as is and CANNOT refute the charges for a physically damaged unit from that point forward. If the merchandise is damaged, please make a notation on the delivery manifest, and have the delivery person sign as a witness to the damage. Please note all original packaging must be kept in order to file a claim.

If you are refusing the delivery of an undamaged TV or appliance, you are responsible for the shipping, handling, and insurance charges for the delivery BOTH WAYS. Shipping charges are $200 each way. Please note that a refund will be issued for the cost of the product only. You will not be reimbursed for the shipping, handling, and insurance charges.

If your television or appliance does arrive damaged please contact our customer service department immediately at 800-992-2237 ext. 2 so that we can arrange for a replacement to be shipped out. Please note that all televisions with 6 or less dead pixels is industry standard for all manufacturer's. There will be no refunds or exchanges for television with 6 or less dead pixels. If a TV or an appliance is shipped to a freight forwarder and signed by the freight forwarder as received with no claims, Abe's of Maine is not responsible for the TV at that point. All claims must be filed with your freight forwarder.
Due to the value and delicate nature of the product you ordered a separate insurance fee may apply. You will be contacted after checkout and notified of the amount."

So is all this uncertainty worth saving literally a couple bucks? Not to me.
Amazon says when you order the TV they will give you a 14 day window. Meaning if you find it elsewhere online cheaper, after you order it, they will match that price. Maybe they would have matched Abes of Maine. It says they're a CNET certified seller.

Reactions: tubetwister
#764 ·
BB will not price match. Abe's is not an authorized dealer. Appreciate the last couple of posts that detail out mounting and buying from Abe's.

I'm not happy with the Sony mounting options and not too impressed with motion on the 600. I may look at the 6350...

Thanks again for the quick feedback.

Marty

#767 ·
For any owners of the W800B (50" or 55"), how badly does the picture wash out at off-angle viewing? I've got an L-shaped sectional and plan to wall-mount the TV flat, so off-center viewing for guests is a concern.

If anyone has picture comparisons of straight vs. off-angle, I'd appreciate it.

#770 ·
Thanks for the feedback on viewing angle. Looks like in my size class (50"-55") I may be limited on good side-angle viewing for 2014 models based on Rtings.com comparison (unless I go plasma).

Can anyone comment on the utility of Impulse mode for gaming? I understand it makes the set darker but has some great motion clarity with minimal input lag. I'll mostly be gaming at night with a very low light on off to the side of the TV (almost completely dark), so the screen darkness in Impulse may not bother me. I need to see the mode on at Best Buy or something to see if the flickering bothers me.

#771 ·
Hello everybody new user here, have been looking to upgrade my TV for awhile now, at the moment the TV that I'm using is this:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Vie...Plasma/dp/B00142HLV4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Now I recieved this TV back in 2008 and its a 720p plasma, I really liked that old TV but I think it is time to upgrade to a 1080p set.

I primarily use my TV for gaming on the Xbox One and PS4 and I've heard a lot of really good things regarding the KDL40W600b and the KDL48W600b.

Input lag is a big component of my decision, from what I can tell my current TV doesn't have noticeable input lag and I hear it is quite good on these sony models.

So my question is, do you think this upgrade would be worth it? With the slim bezel I'm fearful of the TV appearing to be too small when in actuality it's nearly the same size if I went with the 40 inch. I've gone to Best Buy and looked at the 40 and 48 inch and I'm just about sold.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

#777 ·
Soooooo, I just bought myself a 42 Inch W800B for the bedroom thinking it would allow me to change all the settings like motionflow, led dimming etc. Of course now that I have the TV I've discovered those settings only apply to the 50/55 inch models.
Has anyone performed any tests on the 42 inch model for motion resolution/input lag etc.? I usually like enabling the Clear motionflow mode on my other Sony TV's to make sure the motion resolution is high and I'd be really disappointed if this TV is poor in comparision. Plus I heard the input lag for thr 50+ inch models is great as well...

#778 ·
Interesting, I did not realize they made a 42" of the W800B. Are you in Asia?

Here is a rundown of the settings on this model. It would be odd that it would not be included considering it is the same model series as the 50" and 55" but again, it could be a regional thing since the 42" is not available here in the states.

#780 ·
bought the 850b 2 days ago

i think it has a great picture

except for the clouding flashlighting in the top left corner

it bothers me a little bit....it isnt enough to say the tv is bad but for $1500 you expect it to be perfect
other than that the display does not have any noticeable issues and the picture is very good

im going to decide in the next few days to take it back or not.....i know they are prone to have some clouding but when you are looking for it it is a lot more bothersome than if you just bought the tv and didnt know it was a defect

my bro has better vision than me and it doesnt bother him at all

and ...oh my god is it huge
when you see 60inch tvs all next to each other they dont look nearly as big as when you set it up in your place

#785 ·
So I have a w600b 40 inch and I'm noticing that the audio and video seem to be out of sync. I thought it might just be the soundbar I have plugged into the tv, but, even through the tv speakers I'm still noticing it. It's not awful but when I'm watching a cutscene in a game the lip syncing looks off. Plus I tried to play Rock Band earlier and whether I used the tv speaker or my soundbar it still seemed out of sync.

#787 ·
I have the same model and have only noticed that using the YouTube app, and not every video file exhibits synch errors. Other sources are fine. Perhaps check to see how it is with different sources.

#788 · (Edited)
Some pics taken of my KDL60W850B, using my Panasonic DMC-TZ10 camera. I've been doing the 'ice fix' to reduce the vignetting on the sides (dark shadows down the left and right side of the screen) and it seems to be working.

Screen uniformity - There's some barrel distortion from the camera and reflections on the screen from light sources in the room, but you can still see how fantastic it is:

100% White

Information menu:

70% Grey:

90% Grey:

90% Grey off centre:

Black Levels - Fantastic for this TV, very little 'halo-ing' around bright objects:

Colours - Just stunning:

#799 ·
Some pics taken of my KDL60W850B, using my Panasonic DMC-TZ10 camera. I've been doing the 'ice fix' to reduce the vignetting on the sides (dark shadows down the left and right side of the screen) and it seems to be working.

Screen uniformity - There's some barrel distortion from the camera and reflections on the screen from light sources in the room, but you can still see how fantastic it is:
No doubt you have some great uniformity going on there. Congrats on such a great set!

#791 ·
so i decided to return my 60inch 850b

the clouding was too much to handle

videogames are amazing on this tv.........amazing

blu-rays and cable tv are very bad

the clouding it had in the upper left corner was soooo bad. and i wanted to keep this tv really bad but couldnt justify paying 1500 dollars for clouding that made any dark pictures and watching at night unpleasent

if you can get one that doesnt have these issues i say go for it

#798 ·
After reading your post I decided to check out a dark blu ray on my new set. Evil Dead (2013). I'm using my PS4, TV and PS4 were both set to full range RGB. I noticed the screen was more grey than black and had alot of what I would assume is blacklight bleed (Same as your clouding?). I switched my TV to limited, the PS4 to limited and now everything is dark as frick and looks really good and almost no bleed now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.