Sony 2014 W600B,W800B,W850B - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 1691 Old 08-03-2014, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any ideas on reducing reflection on a 800B, other than reduced lighting in the room?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 1691 Old 08-04-2014, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 50w800b downloaded a system update today. Any idea what it changed?

post #783 of 1691 Old 08-04-2014, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Do game mode's on Sony TV's do anything drastic to the picture? I've seen other TV's that make the picture dimmer and mess with the contrast or brightness.
post #784 of 1691 Old 08-04-2014, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anatomyhorror View Post
Do game mode's on Sony TV's do anything drastic to the picture? I've seen other TV's that make the picture dimmer and mess with the contrast or brightness.

Nothing drastic, no.

You can adjust the picture settings to your liking in game mode anyway.
post #785 of 1691 Old 08-04-2014, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I have a w600b 40 inch and I'm noticing that the audio and video seem to be out of sync. I thought it might just be the soundbar I have plugged into the tv, but, even through the tv speakers I'm still noticing it. It's not awful but when I'm watching a cutscene in a game the lip syncing looks off. Plus I tried to play Rock Band earlier and whether I used the tv speaker or my soundbar it still seemed out of sync.
post #786 of 1691 Old 08-04-2014, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post
Does any of the owners have the 70 inch 850b? If so, does this tv have any problems with dark scenes etc..?
I have a KDLW850B, The black levels are ok, in a dark the blacks crush, I spent hours on just
that issue alone. There are a lot of hidden menus and settings to get a nice and bright picture
in a light controlled room. is a terrific gaming tv and I have the 70in version. My friend is coming over to calibrate it and try to get some detail in the black without affecting the contrast.The screen is good in a bright room because it has a semi glossy screen. Of angle viewing is not very good. Im going to try to fix it it or I will return it. I got the tv for a real good price so its going to have some issues. The tv is a must if you like gaming a lot.It has a 25.ms response time and no judder.
post #787 of 1691 Old 08-05-2014, 03:55 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamsTheKuma View Post
So I have a w600b 40 inch and I'm noticing that the audio and video seem to be out of sync. I thought it might just be the soundbar I have plugged into the tv, but, even through the tv speakers I'm still noticing it. It's not awful but when I'm watching a cutscene in a game the lip syncing looks off. Plus I tried to play Rock Band earlier and whether I used the tv speaker or my soundbar it still seemed out of sync.
I have the same model and have only noticed that using the YouTube app, and not every video file exhibits synch errors. Other sources are fine. Perhaps check to see how it is with different sources.

Greg
post #788 of 1691 Old 08-05-2014, 05:03 AM

Some pics taken of my KDL60W850B, using my Panasonic DMC-TZ10 camera. I've been doing the 'ice fix' to reduce the vignetting on the sides (dark shadows down the left and right side of the screen) and it seems to be working.

Screen uniformity - There's some barrel distortion from the camera and reflections on the screen from light sources in the room, but you can still see how fantastic it is:

100% White

Information menu:

70% Grey:

90% Grey:

90% Grey off centre:

Black Levels - Fantastic for this TV, very little 'halo-ing' around bright objects:

Colours - Just stunning:

Gratificulous and dbigers like this.

Last edited by interfreak; 08-05-2014 at 05:09 AM.
post #789 of 1691 Old 08-05-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppah1 View Post
I have a KDLW850B, The black levels are ok, in a dark the blacks crush, I spent hours on just
that issue alone. There are a lot of hidden menus and settings to get a nice and bright picture
in a light controlled room. is a terrific gaming tv and I have the 70in version. My friend is coming over to calibrate it and try to get some detail in the black without affecting the contrast.The screen is good in a bright room because it has a semi glossy screen. Of angle viewing is not very good. Im going to try to fix it it or I will return it. I got the tv for a real good price so its going to have some issues. The tv is a must if you like gaming a lot.It has a 25.ms response time and no judder.
I will only be using it in a darker room. I don't watch tv or play games with the lights on. So you aren't impressed with the picture quality?
post #790 of 1691 Old 08-05-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppah1 View Post
try putting it in cinema mode and the gamma should fall in line and help that just max out back light and contrast in
cinema and go from there

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #791 of 1691 Old 08-05-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
so i decided to return my 60inch 850b

the clouding was too much to handle

videogames are amazing on this tv.........amazing

blu-rays and cable tv are very bad

the clouding it had in the upper left corner was soooo bad. and i wanted to keep this tv really bad but couldnt justify paying 1500 dollars for clouding that made any dark pictures and watching at night unpleasent

if you can get one that doesnt have these issues i say go for it
post #792 of 1691 Old 08-05-2014, 05:05 PM

Just got the 60" w850b. Out of curiosity is there a way to change full range/limited RB settings? I couldn't seem to find it anywhere.
post #793 of 1691 Old 08-05-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Just got the 60" w850b. Out of curiosity is there a way to change full range/limited RB settings? I couldn't seem to find it anywhere.

Go to Home > Settings > Display > Video Input Settings > Dynamic Range

http://www.sony-asia.com/microsite/b...isettings.html
anatomyhorror likes this.
post #794 of 1691 Old 08-05-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interfreak View Post
Go to Home > Settings > Display > Video Input Settings > Dynamic Range

http://www.sony-asia.com/microsite/b...isettings.html
Thanks!
post #795 of 1691 Old 08-05-2014, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash55 View Post
My 50w800b downloaded a system update today. Any idea what it changed?
I downloaded it too though I do not know what the update contained.
post #796 of 1691 Old 08-05-2014, 09:02 PM

Can anyone post the version number?
post #797 of 1691 Old 08-05-2014, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How is the 3D on the 70w850b
post #798 of 1691 Old 08-05-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeee112 View Post
so i decided to return my 60inch 850b

the clouding was too much to handle

videogames are amazing on this tv.........amazing

blu-rays and cable tv are very bad

the clouding it had in the upper left corner was soooo bad. and i wanted to keep this tv really bad but couldnt justify paying 1500 dollars for clouding that made any dark pictures and watching at night unpleasent

if you can get one that doesnt have these issues i say go for it
After reading your post I decided to check out a dark blu ray on my new set. Evil Dead (2013). I'm using my PS4, TV and PS4 were both set to full range RGB. I noticed the screen was more grey than black and had alot of what I would assume is blacklight bleed (Same as your clouding?). I switched my TV to limited, the PS4 to limited and now everything is dark as frick and looks really good and almost no bleed now.
tubetwister likes this.
post #799 of 1691 Old 08-05-2014, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by interfreak View Post
Some pics taken of my KDL60W850B, using my Panasonic DMC-TZ10 camera. I've been doing the 'ice fix' to reduce the vignetting on the sides (dark shadows down the left and right side of the screen) and it seems to be working.

Screen uniformity - There's some barrel distortion from the camera and reflections on the screen from light sources in the room, but you can still see how fantastic it is:
No doubt you have some great uniformity going on there. Congrats on such a great set!
post #800 of 1691 Old 08-05-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaylor0 View Post
I have the same model and have only noticed that using the YouTube app, and not every video file exhibits synch errors. Other sources are fine. Perhaps check to see how it is with different sources.
Everything seems to be off no matter what I do. I even tried running audio through an analog source and still found that it's just slightly out of sync. It's been driving me crazy as I've been trying to play the Last of Us these past few days. It sucks because it's the picture that's ahead of the audio, if it was the other way around my sound system could compensate. Is it possible that maybe I just have a defective model and I should try swapping it. I mean I tried my Xbox 360, my PS4 as well as the TV's onboard Netflix and Crackle apps, all had slightly off sync video and voices.
post #801 of 1691 Old 08-05-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
After reading your post I decided to check out a dark blu ray on my new set. Evil Dead (2013). I'm using my PS4, TV and PS4 were both set to full range RGB. I noticed the screen was more grey than black and had alot of what I would assume is blacklight bleed (Same as your clouding?). I switched my TV to limited, the PS4 to limited and now everything is dark as frick and looks really good and almost no bleed now.

I noticed this as well playing the remastered TLOU. I have my TV set to Limited, and the PS4 as well.

If you change the TV to RGB and leave the PS4 set to Limited, it creates the effect you describe - over brightened screen, with poor contrast and washed out colours.

If you change the TV to RGB, and the PS4 to RGB as well - the picture looks very simular to the Limited/Limited setup, but a little darker as the TV is showing the full 0-255 RGB range.

I prefer the Limited/Limited setting - as the RGB/RGB settings tends to crush blacks a bit and you lose a little detail in darker areas because of this.
post #802 of 1691 Old 08-05-2014, 09:42 PM

Yep, TLoU looked nearly identical on Full/Full and Limited/Limited. But Blu Rays looked bad on Full/Full. Atleast the one I tested did. I'll just leave it on limited limited since it looks fine on games and BR's.
post #803 of 1691 Old 08-05-2014, 09:55 PM

I wonder then, if the TV can actually handle the full RGB signal? Not many modern TV's can.
post #804 of 1691 Old 08-05-2014, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by dignam View Post
How is the 3D on the 70w850b
The review on CNET tabbed the 3D as the only thing they didn't like.
post #805 of 1691 Old 08-06-2014, 12:00 AM

I would say that this will be fixed in an upcoming (or perhaps the just released) firmware update.
post #806 of 1691 Old 08-06-2014, 03:42 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamsTheKuma View Post
Everything seems to be off no matter what I do. I even tried running audio through an analog source and still found that it's just slightly out of sync. It's been driving me crazy as I've been trying to play the Last of Us these past few days. It sucks because it's the picture that's ahead of the audio, if it was the other way around my sound system could compensate. Is it possible that maybe I just have a defective model and I should try swapping it. I mean I tried my Xbox 360, my PS4 as well as the TV's onboard Netflix and Crackle apps, all had slightly off sync video and voices.

If you otherwise like the TV I would definitely swap it out to see if that's the case. It's just really weird, like there was something wrong with the set's HDMI ports or the TV's audio/video decoding or something...

Greg

Last edited by gtaylor0; 08-06-2014 at 03:46 AM.
post #807 of 1691 Old 08-06-2014, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
well it had a major defect with clouding

for instance.....If the tv is on and i dont have anything on through the receiver the tv has a black picture with the backlight on
when dark pictures were on screen the top left corner was THAT bad..... A 5X5 inch square in the top left

we are talking over the line

im buying the Samsung UN55H7150 55-Inch 1080p

i know what panel to look for and people say the 55 inch version has an amazing uniformity zero clouding and greys as good as this tv
overall picture quality might be a little worse but i want a tv that looks like it doesnt have defects

like i said...i think this 850b 60inch is a great tv if you win the panel lottery

im going to give up a frame for videogames but there were a bunch of times i turned my ps4 on and forgot to put game mode on my 850b....and that is more input lag than 40ms
post #808 of 1691 Old 08-06-2014, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What's the scoop with the W600B series? I have been looking at them for a while now for a gaming setup, however, Amazon does not directly sell them any longer (3rd parties only) and Costco's versions are disappearing (40" no longer on their site and the 48" is $50 off).

It seems early for these to be discontinued.
post #809 of 1691 Old 08-06-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaylor0 View Post
If you otherwise like the TV I would definitely swap it out to see if that's the case. It's just really weird, like there was something wrong with the set's HDMI ports or the TV's audio/video decoding or something...
Yeah I don't know what it is exactly. It almost worries me that I haven't seen anyone else complain about this problem. On the one hand it makes me feel like the set may be defective, but on the other hand I'm just wondering if I'm imagining it.
post #810 of 1691 Old 08-06-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratificulous View Post
What's the scoop with the W600B series? I have been looking at them for a while now for a gaming setup, however, Amazon does not directly sell them any longer (3rd parties only) and Costco's versions are disappearing (40" no longer on their site and the 48" is $50 off).

It seems early for these to be discontinued.
Solid http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/sony/w600b
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page