AVS Forum banner

Sony 2014 W600B,W800B,W850B

466K views 3K replies 444 participants last post by  clark17 
#1 ·
#1,039 ·
Looking for a 48" TV for bedroom - W600 way to go?

I'm looking for a 48" TV for our bedroom since our 32" is a little small for the bedroom in our new house. I feel like the price for the 48" W600 can't be beat, but I hear the SmartTV interface is terrible. Is this the case? How is the picture? I feel like this is the way to go for the money, even though I've been a Samsung fan for a long time. Any input? Any help is greatly appreciated.

#1,044 · (Edited)
I'm looking for a 48" TV for our bedroom since our 32" is a little small for the bedroom in our new house. I feel like the price for the 48" W600 can't be beat, but I hear the SmartTV interface is terrible. Is this the case? How is the picture? I feel like this is the way to go for the money, even though I've been a Samsung fan for a long time. Any input? Any help is greatly appreciated.
I have the 40" in the bedroom and my experience is the picture is excellent and, believe it or not, so are the "smart" features, at least those that I use, though not quite as good as my Roku: Netflix, Amazon, YouTube. I don't use the browser because it's torture, and unnecessary when connecting a laptop via the HDMI port (again, pretty much excellent). I think Sony has been routinely updating the smart firmware -- I've had my set about 3 months and there's been about 4 updates. Of course, it all depends on what your smart interface needs are.

#1,046 ·
#1,045 ·
So I've had my 55w800b for 10 days and except for needing to adjust some settings I'm loving it! However, I haven't had a chance to play with the 3d since I don't have any media. I have a PS3. If I was going to buy just 1 blu ray to show off the panel what would you suggest? I'll probably try to find something used on ebay but don't want to get a particular title only to discover its a rotten example of 3d.

So what disk blows you away? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#1,047 ·
So I've had my 55w800b for 10 days and except for needing to adjust some settings I'm loving it! However, I haven't had a chance to play with the 3d since I don't have any media. I have a PS3. If I was going to buy just 1 blu ray to show off the panel what would you suggest? I'll probably try to find something used on ebay but don't want to get a particular title only to discover its a rotten example of 3d.

So what disk blows you away? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
the hobbit desolation of smaug.

#1,052 ·
I may be picking a KDL-50W700B or KDL-50W800B up today. Have there been any firmware updates released to address the poor 3D performance on the W800B? Otherwise I may simply go for the W700B (I dig the silver bezel). They are both the same price with Amazon price match,but if the 3D is bad there is no use in buying the 800.

#1,053 · (Edited)
You must mean Best Buy for the W700B it's an exclusive Best Buy model for now. They both have 120Hz panels but the 800B may have a different slightly better panel or not . I would try to get into the store and look at both if I could .

#1,054 ·
You must mean Best Buy for the W700B it'd an exclusive Best Buy model for now They both have 120Hz panels but the 800B may have a different slightly better panel or not . I would try to get into the store and look at both if I could .
Yeah sorry. Best buy is where I am checking them out. Have seen them both, but haven't had any hands on time. I am friend with local store manager, so he let's me bring in PS4 to test out displays for motion issues. Will be doing thatvthis afternoon.

#1,055 ·
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a 55"-60" tv to replace my Samsung UN55d8000 and I've narrowed it down to the Sony W850B and the Samsung UN55H7150.

I've had some serious problems with banding and DSE with the older samsung and don't want to go through that again.

Which TV would you recommend, unless there's a third option I should consider at that price mark.

#1,059 ·
Returned a LG 4K today when the panel started flashing lines. I was so disappointed in my 4K experience I decided to save a grand and get the KDL-70W850B. I am blown away at how much better this TV looks. The LG had terrible contrast and black levels and that is all corrected with the 850B. At my normal viewing distance this TV is actually an improvement over the LG. Input lag is also an improvement with gaming. Only downside is the 3D has a bit more ghosting than I would like. That was definitely better on the LG. 3D is the thing I will use the least though so I should be able to live with it.

#1,069 ·
maybe someone knows, SONY 42W829B has VA or IPS panel???

i found this s21.com/sony-kdl-42w829.htm

"This 42 inch model uses what we deduce to be an IPS panel, probably manufactured by LG (the 50 and 55 inch models use a different type of screen). The panel has relatively wide viewing angles, confirming that it's an IPS screen, but as expected, contrast levels aren't as high as we'd like them to be."

Is can be true? or review mistake.. i want 42" sony TV's, but with more motionflow + VA panel for deep black, so, if 42w829b has a VA panel, it will be good.

#1,430 ·
Hi

Iwas going to get kdl-42w800b today but I found there was a big difference between it and the kdl-50w800b( Passive/active 3d and also the motionflow 200/400). I am thinking now about getting kdl-40w600b. I will be using this tv for gaming and most the reviews I found is for the 50w800b,how is the 40w800b capered to it in the real life ??? should I stick with the w800b or get the w600b?
Passive 3D is LG S-IPD panel not very good blacks or contrast as compared to 50W800b AUO A-MVA panel that has very good blacks and contrast
the LGD S-IPS panel does offer a better view angle but without local dimming the S-IPS panel will not have as good of picture. the 42" is kind of an orphan personally IMO I would pass on it . I have a 42" LG w/S-IPS panel in another room might even be same panel as 42W800B it's nothing to get excited about
OTOH my Sony LED with a VA panel has a very good picture .
For what it's worth by now, the 42 inch W8 series do not use IPS panels but passive 3D 60Hz (A-M)VA panels by AUO (in case it hadn't been addressed in the 15 pages in between :angel:) ;)

#1,070 · (Edited)
I've been a reader of AVSForum for over 10 years now and practically LIVED here 7-8 years ago and have generally avoided too much TV-related buyer's remorse as a result, but my recent experiences with the 2014 Sony W800B (50") are really making me feel like I made a terrible decision...

For 98% of my TV viewing I watch online content, either from my HTPC (via HDMI cable), or via laptop connected over HDMI. -I've installed all of the currently available W800B updates and there appears to be NO 1:1 pixel mapping option over any HDMI port. I see lots of generic Sony recommendations on this thread simply recommending that people select 1:1 Pixel mapping mode, but it simply doesn't exist on my TV...

When I go through the Wide Mode options, I have Full, Normal, Wide Zoom, Zoom; but no 1:1 Pixel Mapping options. I end up with overscan chopping off important parts of my screen no matter what option I select.

What's the deal here? -Is this simply an update gone wrong, or is Sony really still releasing TVs in 2014 that don't support 1:1 pixel mapping over HDMI?

The lack of 1:1 pixel mapping is just beyond unacceptible; the Smart TV performance is horrific and it has no support for HBO Go or the XFinity app, so it's pretty much useless for me and, as has been well documented, the 3D performance is pretty sad, and there's a HUGE wall wort required to power the TV (like 2003 Dell Workstation laptop size power brick). -What happened?

The video quality is great, but because the built-in Smart features are so slow and are missing so many important apps, the only way to get my content is via HDMI port and then I have undefeatable overscan... -Oh yea, getting the wireless display out to work for more than 2 seconds even with a Miracast-certified device and driver is an absolute non-starter, too; wasted hours of my life on that.
-What good IS this thing?

My TV is incredibly attractive and functional while off... that's about all it's good for right now.

Other than a 2003 Dell Inspiron laptop, I've never regretted another consumer electronic purchase more than this 2014 Sony Bravia W800B.

Adam

-If anyone has found a method to get back 1:1 pixel mode I can at least work around the crappy built-in smart features and use my HTPC, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

P.S. "Just use VGA" is NOT a fix; all my devices go through my AV unit via HDMI for a reason. A hacked together solution that involves running separate audio / video cables straight to my TV simply because it doesn't support 1:1 pixel mapping over HDMI is something that someone should be embarrassed to propose.

#1,071 ·
I've been a reader of AVSForum for over 10 years now and practically LIVED here 7-8 years ago and have generally avoided too much TV-related buyer's remorse as a result, but my recent experiences with the 2014 Sony W800B (50") are really making me feel like I made a terrible decision...

For 98% of my TV viewing I watch online content, either from my HTPC (via HDMI cable), or via laptop connected over HDMI. -I've installed all of the currently available W800B updates and there appears to be NO 1:1 pixel mapping option over any HDMI port. I see lots of generic Sony recommendations on this thread simply recommending that people select 1:1 Pixel mapping mode, but it simply doesn't exist on my TV...

When I go through the Wide Mode options, I have Full, Normal, Wide Zoom, Zoom; but no 1:1 Pixel Mapping options. I end up with overscan chopping off important parts of my screen no matter what option I select.

What's the deal here? -Is this simply an update gone wrong, or is Sony really still releasing TVs in 2014 that don't support 1:1 pixel mapping over HDMI?

The lack of 1:1 pixel mapping is just beyond unacceptible; the Smart TV performance is horrific and it has no support for HBO Go or the XFinity app, so it's pretty much useless for me and, as has been well documented, the 3D performance is pretty sad, and there's a HUGE wall wort required to power the TV (like 2003 Dell Workstation laptop size power brick). -What happened?

The video quality is great, but because the built-in Smart features are so slow and are missing so many important apps, the only way to get my content is via HDMI port and then I have undefeatable overscan... -Oh yea, getting the wireless display out to work for more than 2 seconds even with a Miracast-certified device and driver is an absolute non-starter, too; wasted hours of my life on that.
-What good IS this thing?

My TV is incredibly attractive and functional while off... that's about all it's good for right now.

Other than a 2003 Dell Inspiron laptop, I've never regretted another consumer electronic purchase more than this 2014 Sony Bravia W800B.

Adam

-If anyone has found a method to get back 1:1 pixel mode I can at least work around the crappy built-in smart features and use my HTPC, it would be GREATLY appreciated.
In your screen adjustment option there is a function called "Auto display area". Turn this off and I believe it unlock a "Full pixel" option offering 1:1 pixel mapping.

#1,083 ·
Congrats! I have had mine for a week now (55") and I am exceptionally impressed with it. Colors just pop and the black detail is good for the price IMO. The smart features are meh, but I have a PS4 I use instead. Coming from a 42", I feel much more immersed in my content now.

I do notice a little bit of clouding in the bottom right corner when on a dark screen with illuminated objects in the middle, but I'd say its within tolerance of what I'd expect for the technology, and looks very similar to the the rtings.com site shows (https://www.rtings.com/images/reviews/w800b/w800b-uniformity-medium.jpg).

#1,082 · (Edited)
fatuglyguy said:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post
FYI, couple new low-end/mid-range W/R Series models for NA seem to be popping up:

KDL-40R350B, appears to be a Walmart exclusive model. Looks like the successor to last year's R450A. 39.5" panel, 60Hz, Motionflow XR120, 2 HDMI, no X-Reality Pro Engine (Likely uses the Clear Resolution Enhancer). Not on Sony's website
They have some stuff going on with Wall Mart Sonys they have 2 40" one is 60Hz panel and another is 120Hz panel they look very similar and spec like last years 40R450A with the exception of the Wall Mart special with the 120Hz panel
Looks like Sony is going for some market share and keeping Foxconn busy .

Funny thing about the 2013 40R450A is it had a better panel than the 2014 W600 and
close to the 800/ 850B black level and contrast . I have a 40R450A in the bedroom with a new Roku good picture plenty of contrast and black enough to play nice in the dark .I'm glad I got that instead of the newer 40 W600B

I'll post the panel comparisons again if Sony is using the same Samsung panel from the 2013 40R450A in the new Wall Mart and Best Buy R models they might even be better a buy than the 40W600B .

FWIW , Sony Calibrated Black Level and contrast comparison

2013 Sony 40R450 Black: 0.022 cd/m2 Contrast: 4750 : 1 >Samsung SPVA

2014 Sony W600B Black: 0.026 cd/m2 Contrast: 3500 : 1 Samsing SPVA

2014 Sony W800B Black: 0.020 cd/m2 Contrast: 5260 : 1 AUO MVA5

2014 Sony W850B Black: 0.026 cd/m2 Contrast: 4273 : 1 AUO MVA5
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/sony

NTNgod said:
WalMart now seems to now carry a low-end, cutdown 48" for $448, which I just noticed this week. Like the 40" in my nearby stores, it's one the models where they're in a palette on the aisle, with no display model.

Believe the model was a R470. Similar to the 40" - 2 HDMIs, no Smart TV features, etc...

BestBuy now also seems to have gotten their own/a newer version of the WalMart 40": the R380B, for $399.
The R380B is a hundred bucks cheaper than last years 40R450A if it uses the same panel and boards as the 40R450A one of those and a Roku could be a smooth move the panel is decent in the R450A .

Maybe I'll stop in there I have to go to Staples for a new office chair tomorrow it's near B.B.

#1,188 ·
The R380B is a hundred bucks cheaper than last years 40R450A if it uses the same panel and boards as the 40R450A one of those and a Roku could be a smooth move the panel is decent in the R450A .

Maybe I'll stop in there I have to go to Staples for a new office chair tomorrow it's near B.B.
According to this review 2014 Sony R420B is pretty mediocre. Why do you think BestBuy 2014 R380B might be as good as 40R450A was ?

Can't post a link. So I'm referring to Sony R420B review on RTings

#1,088 ·
So I did finally pull the trigger on an open item 50W800B today, but long story short it had a cracked LCD screen and had to take it back. I will say it does look good when the power is turned off. I may end up getting a W700B but I'm going to mull it over a bit. Thanks everyone for their help.

#1,089 ·
I have a new KDL-55W790B .. and have an issue. I swear that my tv is only displaying 720p and not 1080i when I play content from my cable box and blu rays. How can I confirm this.

I have reset the tv .. and no change. (the reset asked me to do the language etc and did display reset on the screen).

I am kinda new at this .. and just lost. I think that changing the fixed pixel etc on the screen messed things up. Since then .. things just do not look right.

Things just appear funny .. like the resolution is not right. Everything appears bigger than what I remember.

#1,091 · (Edited)
Set your cable box to 16x9 1080i and HD + STD def to normal zoom.Set game consoles and other sources to 1080P if they don't auto detect .

Set your pixel mapping at 1:1 in TV like this ,

Your display button on the TV remote will tell you what resolution your TV is getting from an input .

On Sony full pixel = 1:1 pixel mapping

goto settings > screen > Wide Mode = Full

Auto Wide = On

4:3 default = Off

Auto Display area = Off

Display Area = Full Pixel

next = > return ofc.

****** must be set on all inputs you use *************

IF using a P.C. definitely use HDMI set to 1080p.=(1920x1080 )on on PC you should only need to do some minor scaling to edge of screen within your PC GPU GUI controls make sure TV is in wide mode full that is normal 16x9 no zoom .

Watching My Sony right now set like that works perfect on all inputs Roku, Dish 1080i TV ,OTA TV and 1080P PC/HDMI

more : https://docs.sony.com/release/KDL55W790B_W800B_EN_FR.pdf

#1,092 · (Edited)
Thank you .. I will give it a try.

Ok .. well I guess I am at 1080i on my tv from the cable box.

But I maybe cannot use Full Pixel .. as I get white items at the top of the screen at times. So .. I need to use one of the other settings. I had the same issue last night.

#1,093 ·
Wondering if someone can help me .. I watched a calibration disk and they talked about "Blue Mode".

I am still learning this stuff .. but is there any way to do it with the KDL-55W790B (KDL-55W800B) ? I have it hooked up to an Onkyo TX-NR525 via hdmi and don't know if I can filter it there.

#1,094 · (Edited)
Ok .. well I guess I am at 1080i on my tv from the cable box.

But I maybe cannot use Full Pixel .. as I get white items at the top of the screen at times. So .. I need to use one of the other settings. I had the same issue last night.

Wondering if someone can help me .. I watched a calibration disk and they talked about "Blue Mode".

I am still learning this stuff .. but is there any way to do it with the KDL-55W790B (KDL-55W800B) ? I have it hooked up to an Onkyo TX-NR525 via hdmi and don't know if I can filter it there.
Your TV doesn't have a blue mode that's largely a carryover from CRT days don't sweat it and don't worry about blue filters either , Which calibration disc are you using ? Without a Colorimeter the best you can do is try setting optimal black levels .016 First and optimising some basic adjustments .B4 anything start out with all ECO settings off if present in eco settings and max out contrast (picture ) and backlight . then bringing up the brightness so black and shadow details arent crushed and whites and bright colors aren't clipping looking soft or washing out.

Try running the set top box to TV direct w/o the Onkyo (they have known HDMI issues) and see if the white things on top of the screen disappear another thing is try the pixel setting at +1 see what happens, beyond that you may have other issues some oddball cable systems or boxes work better like that . What cable or sat system are you on and what box ?

Try this for a Sony ,

start here see how you like it (see below) ..................should present accurate colors and provide depth.

Just put set in Cinema mode + neut color + max out back light and contrast (picture )
+ turn on cine mode auto, Cinema mode takes care of color management for you disables cp. you don't need.brings gamma into line and gives best picture also . note: warm color temp may be more accurate try it and see if U like and it doesent push red to much, Similar settings in General mode may be fine also .
Make sure any ECO power saving (ECO menu ) auto brightness/back light etc (everything in there ) if present is off .
in screen menu set 1:1 pixel (full pixel) auto display and 4:3 default off and auto wide on

note : start out with color and brightness about 53- 55 or so and adjust to preference but not so high as to over saturate the color, cause blooming or make the blacks grey. (small adjustments here are good big ones are not . )
60 would probably be the maximum color and brightness levels in daylight.

Lastly download and use Sony color blind test to fine tune brightness and color saturation (use the red and blue videos)
It's very clever and works very well! Play them on TV USB or from PC with HDMI to HDMI or DVI-D to HDMI
and copy final brightness and color saturation results to all inputs and modes you are using it works better than a disc for those 2 adjustments sometimes .

Sony Pixel and wide mode settings

Home >settings> screen in screen menu set 1:1 pixel (full pixel) auto display and 4:3 default off and auto wide on Note some oddball CATV/SAT boxes work better at scaling to edge of screen with a +1 pixel setting

Wide mode Full is default 16:9 HD or unaltered 4:3 with pillar bars on each side . default

Zoom will fill out screen with 4.3 or DVD wlth least distortion best to leave upscale DVD, DVD Blue Ray ,or any Netflix ,Amazon stream, in 16:9 Wide Mode Full and live with the letter bars I never use it except some 4:3 .

Wide Zoom murders just about every thing I never use it . .

When you stretch or alter a picture ,or pixel setting is off of 1:1 you can loose ½ resolution no big deal on 4:3 though .

#1,096 ·
Thanks for your suggestions ... and I have done as instructed and it is amazing. Love love the tv.

Just stunning .. when done slowly and carefully.

The pixed thing is not a big deal .. it only appears on some tv channels .. and I just adjusted it and it is around 1% loss maybe of screen area vs full pixel.So I am ok with that.

I am using the AVSHD 709 one and it works for me as I am new to this .. and honestly it is mostly about the blacks and whites. I have done extensive black and white photography in my early days and that really really makes a huge difference when those 2 are set right. The color I think is pretty good.

#1,100 · (Edited)
Could be some good 2K closeout bargains or price reductions out there as production shifts soon at the majors .Nothing wrong with a good 1080p set .I have 5 of them !

#1,102 · (Edited)
I was thinking on buying the SONY KDL50W700B at my local Best Buy when the time comes. Would anyone who has it care to tell me what they think about it? How's the picture? How is the 120hz refresh rate? Does it work well with Console Games? Does anyone have calibrated settings? Can anyone post pictures for both light and dark rooms?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.