post #841 of 1641 Old 08-09-2014, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by John. View Post
Hey guys,

What's this model here ? KDL42W700B This is in Canada. I went through this thread but couldn't see anything about this model. I am just comparing which one is better ? The KDL42W700B or KDL48600B ?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...434951caeden02

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...90e4820ef5en02

Both are only 60hz panels, with No MotionFlow Options in the Settings Menu. I had the 42W700B, it was a nice set, had deep blacks, but being only 60hz was a deal breaker for me. It uses an AUO Panel. I exchanged it for the 50W800B, which I couldn't be more happier with!
tubetwister likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 1641 Old 08-09-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Anyone know if there are any videos of LED motion/Impluse mode being turned on?

Couldn't find anything on Youtube. Might be search for the wrong things.

Would REALLY like to see what it looks like without having to buy it first.
post #843 of 1641 Old 08-09-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 397
LED motion/Impluse mode is black frame insertion

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #844 of 1641 Old 08-09-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
LED motion/Impluse mode is black frame insertion
Isn't it black frame insertion alongside backlight scanning? I'm using a monitor with black frame insertion & it doesn't dim the screen at all, but it doesn't really help with the motion resolution either.
post #845 of 1641 Old 08-09-2014, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How close can the legs be moved in on the 60w850b?
post #846 of 1641 Old 08-10-2014, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post
Isn't it black frame insertion alongside backlight scanning? I'm using a monitor with black frame insertion & it doesn't dim the screen at all, but it doesn't really help with the motion resolution either.
Theoretically *maybe , anyway they may or may not be used individually or together. I was under the impression
sets that had black frame insertion didn't necessarily have or use back light scanning also . I could be wrong though not my day job and all . Neither one helps much with motion resolution AFAIK anyway ?

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-10-2014 at 04:19 AM.
post #847 of 1641 Old 08-10-2014, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
From the HDTVtest.co.uk review of the W829B:

This is one area where the Sony Bravia W82 trumps over the step-down W7 model, offering motion-compensated frame interpolation (MCFI) and black frame insertion (BFI) in various permutation and intensity through the supplied [Motionflow] control. Let’s go through the options one by one:

“Off”: Doesn’t apply any motion-boosting technology. Motion resolution 300 as determined via the horizontally scrolling lines pattern in Chapter 31 of the FPD Benchmark Software disc.

“True Cinema”: Ensures native 24p playback for 1080p/24 material such as Blu-ray movies. Motion resolution stays the same at 300, since there’s no MCFI/ BFI involved.

“Standard”: Pure MCFI. Doubles motion resolution to 600. Not advised.

“Smooth”: Pure MCFI with stronger intensity, which introduces more interpolation artefacts even though motion resolution did not increase beyond 600. Avoid.

“Clear”: MCFI with a small component of BFI. Few interpolation artefacts with a mild decrease in on-screen luminance. Motion resolution 1080. Good for daytime general use.

“Clear Plus”: MCFI with a higher proportion of BFI. Even less interpolation artefacts, but picture is darker than “Clear“. Motion resolution 1080. Suitable for night-time general viewing.

“Impulse”: Pure BFI. Motion resolution 1080. May be too dim for most usage.
post #848 of 1641 Old 08-10-2014, 03:45 AM

edit: double post.
post #849 of 1641 Old 08-10-2014, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
From the HDTVtest.co.uk review of the W829B:
If anybody could do it half way right I would look to Sony .

post #850 of 1641 Old 08-10-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzellmer View Post
I have first hand experience with Abe's of Maine. i tried to purchase a Sony 50W800B display from them and i used my credit card via PayPal just to be sure I was covered in the event of a scam. Sure enough within a few days i got the call. The rep first asked if i was going to be wall mounting, and was most certainly going to start the premium mount upsell. But i said i was just going to use the stand and to my surprise he didn't push any further on hardware extras. but then started the shipping nonsense. Their fake "free shipping" is probably the biggest part of the trick, as it is completely uninsured and, as he told me, packages change hands through multiple freight shippers before it reaches you, which of course means the real possibility of damage. so for my protection he highly recommended using FedEx or UPS. the standard rate for this service is an extra $199 but he was prepared to make me the generous offer of something like $110 instead. when i said i wasn't interested, we then went back & forth on a sort of haggling exchange, wherein he asked me the price I saw on Amazon and finally offered me gift certificates to "local businesses & restaurants" to justify the extra he wanted me to agree to (wha??). Anyway, it became clear i wasn't going to get away with a price that was significantly less than Amazon (maybe like $30 less or something). To end the exchange i told him i simply don't want to pay anything more than the still pending PayPal charge, so he agreed to cancel the order. I must say he was very polite through the whole thing (as was I) and not at all pushy either. The pending order was off my PayPal account within a day or two. So no big deal really, it was worth a try just to see what it was all about.

So i guess if you're really dead set on saving a few bucks it might be way to go, but there is one other thing to consider: the fine print in their Terms, especially the shipping and warranty. It wasn't really clear to me how the merch is warranted. I'm almost positive these guys (and the rest of their ilk online) are not authorized retailers for many manufacturers so i don't know what happens in the event of a defective item. No returns are allowed on almost anything from what I can tell. And then there is this bit of oddness on their website:

"TV/Big Screen/Rear Projection/Monitor/Large Appliances and Fitness Policies

For Televisions Large Appliances and Fitness equipment our standard shipping is curbside. We do have White Glove delivery available for an additional fee. It includes delivery into your home, inspection and plugging into an electrical outlet. It does not include assembly or any type of installation. White Glove delivery allows you to inspect your equipment for any damages and defects before accepting delivery.

Televisions, Large appliance and Fitness equipment purchases are special orders and cannot be canceled prior to the shipment of the order. Customers cannot cancel an order that is en route. TV/Big Screen/Rear Projection/Monitors and Large Appliance orders come with full Manufacturer's Warranties. Most include in-home service.

TV/Big Screen/Rear Projection/Monitors and Large Appliances are not returnable to Abe's of Maine. If initially defective they must be serviced by an Authorized Service Technician. Abe's of Maine can help you locate your nearest Authorized Service Technician.

Upon delivery, it is the consumer's sole responsibility to inspect the TV/Big Screen/Rear Projection/ Monitor/Large Appliances to insure that it is not physically damaged.

We make every effort to pack your items securely and use reputable shipping companies. It is rare that damages occur.
DO NOT SIGN the delivery manifest until you have inspected the TV/Big Screen/Rear Projection/Monitor/Appliance. Once the consignee signs for the item, you are signing acceptance of the product physically as is and CANNOT refute the charges for a physically damaged unit from that point forward. If the merchandise is damaged, please make a notation on the delivery manifest, and have the delivery person sign as a witness to the damage. Please note all original packaging must be kept in order to file a claim.

If you are refusing the delivery of an undamaged TV or appliance, you are responsible for the shipping, handling, and insurance charges for the delivery BOTH WAYS. Shipping charges are $200 each way. Please note that a refund will be issued for the cost of the product only. You will not be reimbursed for the shipping, handling, and insurance charges.

If your television or appliance does arrive damaged please contact our customer service department immediately at 800-992-2237 ext. 2 so that we can arrange for a replacement to be shipped out. Please note that all televisions with 6 or less dead pixels is industry standard for all manufacturer's. There will be no refunds or exchanges for television with 6 or less dead pixels. If a TV or an appliance is shipped to a freight forwarder and signed by the freight forwarder as received with no claims, Abe's of Maine is not responsible for the TV at that point. All claims must be filed with your freight forwarder.
Due to the value and delicate nature of the product you ordered a separate insurance fee may apply. You will be contacted after checkout and notified of the amount."

So is all this uncertainty worth saving literally a couple bucks? Not to me.
Amazon says when you order the TV they will give you a 14 day window. Meaning if you find it elsewhere online cheaper, after you order it, they will match that price. Maybe they would have matched Abes of Maine. It says they're a CNET certified seller.
tubetwister likes this.
post #851 of 1641 Old 08-10-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawater View Post
Amazon says when you order the TV they will give you a 14 day window. Meaning if you find it elsewhere online cheaper, after you order it, they will match that price. Maybe they would have matched Abes of Maine. It says they're a CNET certified seller.
I think Amazon changed that policy to 7 days! I tried price adjusting a appliance after 10 days & they flat out refused saying, their policy is only 7 days from purchase.
post #852 of 1641 Old 08-10-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Their was some discussion and experieces recounted regarding these guys in earlier threads here no positive customer experiences noted in fact quite the opposite and nothing at C net indicates they are a trusted store or a Sony autorized retailer two words come to mind caveat emptor

post #853 of 1641 Old 08-10-2014, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Their was some discussion and experieces recounted regarding these guys in earlier threads here no positive customer experiences noted in fact quite the opposite and nothing at C net indicates they are a trusted store or a Sony autorized retailer two words come to mind caveat emptor
Yeah, I remember reading that Abe's and other sites like them put the logos from Cnet, the Better Business Bureau, etc on their site even though they are actually not approved by these organizations. I don't know how they get away with that. I'm also miffed that Google allows them to buy advertizing space (though not surprised I guess). Is there a way to complain to Google about this I wonder?
post #854 of 1641 Old 08-10-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzellmer View Post
Yeah, I remember reading that Abe's and other sites like them put the logos from Cnet, the Better Business Bureau, etc on their site even though they are actually not approved by these organizations. I don't know how they get away with that. I'm also miffed that Google allows them to buy advertizing space (though not surprised I guess). Is there a way to complain to Google about this I wonder?
You could try calling Larry Page or Sergey Brin or maybe tap them on the shoulder at thier Google + or twitter feeds

post #855 of 1641 Old 08-10-2014, 02:47 PM

This is my 55W805B here in Norway... and a little backlight trouble in an unlit room. No issues otherwise with the panel in normal viewing, and I'm quite happy with it. I only wish the "Clear" motion setting didn't take such a brightness hit.

How are other people finding the black screen uniformity?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55w805b_backlight.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	206577  
post #856 of 1641 Old 08-10-2014, 09:45 PM

Liked: 0
How are these compared to the 600b and 700b?

Samsung UN46EH5000FXZC - 46" 1080p LED 60hz - $568.98 at bestbuy

Samsung PN51F5300BFXZC - 51" 1080p Plasma 600hz - $649.99 at bestbuy

Sony KDL50W790B - 50" 1080p LED Smart 120Hz - $999.99 at Bestbuy

Samsung UN55H6203 - 55" 1080p LED Smart 120Hz - $999.99 at Bestbuy

Which is the better buy for watching sports and video games?
post #857 of 1641 Old 08-11-2014, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Anyone know if there are any videos of LED motion/Impluse mode being turned on?

Couldn't find anything on Youtube. Might be search for the wrong things.

Would REALLY like to see what it looks like without having to buy it first.
I tried taking photograph with iPad of TV screen with and without LED motion mode but the exposure gets adjusted by the ipad software. So can't get comparative picture. Too lazy to take a photo on a standard camera in manual mode and transfer to PC. Anyway there is drastic reduction in brightness. There is also a comparative image on a review website.

If you want to judge the motion smoothness on an online video it will not be accurate. First is the fps rate of the camera, then multiple video processing and compression by originator and hosting website.
post #858 of 1641 Old 08-11-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guite View Post
I tried taking photograph with iPad of TV screen with and without LED motion mode but the exposure gets adjusted by the ipad software. So can't get comparative picture. Too lazy to take a photo on a standard camera in manual mode and transfer to PC. Anyway there is drastic reduction in brightness. There is also a comparative image on a review website.

If you want to judge the motion smoothness on an online video it will not be accurate. First is the fps rate of the camera, then multiple video processing and compression by originator and hosting website.
How does LED Motion compare to just the backlight set at only 1?
Is it dimmer or brighter?
post #859 of 1641 Old 08-11-2014, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Why does Sony not have any newer 2014 model 32-42" range TV's here in the US? All the good models in that size like the KDL-32W700B and KDL-42W700B with low input lag are in Canada or Europe. I need something 42" or less that will fit on a desk and be used almost solely for console gaming.

Last edited by burningrave101; 08-11-2014 at 01:19 PM.
post #860 of 1641 Old 08-11-2014, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
How does LED Motion compare to just the backlight set at only 1?
Is it dimmer or brighter?
It is dimmer in LED motion mode.
post #861 of 1641 Old 08-11-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by burningrave101 View Post
Why does Sony not have any newer model 32-42" range TV's here in the US? All the good models in that size like the KDL-32W700B and KDL-42W700B with low input lag are in Canada or Europe. I need something 42" or less that will fit on a desk and be used almost solely for console gaming.
They do:
32" - KDL-32R420B
40" - KDL-40W600B
post #862 of 1641 Old 08-11-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamac_man View Post
How close can the legs be moved in on the 60w850b?
maybe 15 inches in on each side

i returned it cause the uniformity was awful
you gotta win the panel lottery with this model
post #863 of 1641 Old 08-11-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratificulous View Post
They do:
32" - KDL-32R420B
40" - KDL-40W600B
Neither one of those are nearly as good as the W700 models. The 32" is a low-end 720p model and the 40" has 29 ms input lag compared to 14-15ms input lag on both the 32" and 42" W700b. I'm looking for something comparable to last years KDL-32W650a with the improved input lag of the Sony 2014 W7 lineup.

Last edited by burningrave101; 08-11-2014 at 11:46 AM.
post #864 of 1641 Old 08-11-2014, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Neither one of those are nearly as good as the W700 models. The 32" is a low-end 720p model and the 40" has 29 ms input lag compared to 14-15ms input lag on both the 32" and 42" W700b.
Sorry, you asked whether there were any 32"-42" Sony and I provided the links.

Unfortunately, no they are not as good. However, 29ms for a 40" is very good; you will be hard pressed to find anything better within that price range and size in the US.
post #865 of 1641 Old 08-11-2014, 02:46 PM
SPJ

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How is the 3D on this television?
post #866 of 1641 Old 08-11-2014, 04:28 PM

I just got the 70b850 from bestbuy and I love it. I'm sitting about 15 ft from it. Blacks are nice and black with very little clouding. The tv came with the feet already attached which was nice. For 2k you really can't beat this set at least in my eyes. Always been a samsung fan but the 75" 6530 is about 600 more and they don't make a 70". I had the 65x900a on order but changed cause of the size and didn't like the fact that I could not stream netflix right out the box. A 70" 4k set is about 4000 right not I'm not seeing a 2000.00 pic upgrade.

Last edited by iSSues; 08-11-2014 at 04:31 PM.
post #867 of 1641 Old 08-11-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Neither one of those are nearly as good as the W700 models. The 32" is a low-end 720p model and the 40" has 29 ms input lag compared to 14-15ms input lag on both the 32" and 42" W700b. I'm looking for something comparable to last years KDL-32W650a with the improved input lag of the Sony 2014 W7 lineup.
W600B probably has a better Samsung SPVA-2 rear lit panel other than the lag thing it may better in some respects

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-11-2014 at 07:44 PM.
post #868 of 1641 Old 08-11-2014, 08:48 PM

Hi guys, i just go the 50 inch w800b and i came from a HX820. Does anyone know how i can find the dynamic led backlight control settings? I've just noticed that this tv isn't adjusting the backlight with a completely black picture like my previous tv did, thanks.
post #869 of 1641 Old 08-11-2014, 09:49 PM

Really trying to decide between the 850b and 800b. It's roughly a $500 difference in price. Really want it for sports (NFL football, NHL hockey) Any one have any motion blurring?
post #870 of 1641 Old 08-11-2014, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamykazi View Post
Hi guys, i just go the 50 inch w800b and i came from a HX820. Does anyone know how i can find the dynamic led backlight control settings? I've just noticed that this tv isn't adjusting the backlight with a completely black picture like my previous tv did, thanks.
home > settings > picture > scroll down to advanced Settings it may be on second page of picture settings .

Just put set in Cinema mode + neut color + max out back light and contrast (picture )
+ turn on cine mode auto this takes care of all that for you disables cp. you don't need and gives best picture also .
Make sure any ECO power saving (ECO menu ) auto brightness/back light etc (everything in there ) if present is off .

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-11-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread