AVS Forum banner

Sony 2014 W600B,W800B,W850B

466K views 3K replies 444 participants last post by  clark17 
#1 ·
#1,359 ·
Why do some suggest having the Sharpness at 0 or MIN?
Some folks are purists, and believe that any artificially-added sharpness is destructive to the real detail in an video image. I'm a bit more open-minded on the subject though, because most of these panels use something called "subpixel addressing", which involves some scaling/resampling of the image on a subpixel level, which will tend to soften the picture a little bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subpixel_rendering

And why is it bad to have a ceiling light as a light source at night?
I've always found overhead lighting more stressful on my eyes at night. So I'd suggest putting a lamp on either side of the TV instead, preferably with dark or opaque shades. Or maybe using some kind of floor lighting, fwiw.

#1,362 · (Edited)
thanks everyone for the info and your replies ;)

I'm still changing the settings on the fly like some of you.

Last night I played with the TV a little more. I still see from time to time a tiny 'wave' bending at the far side when watching from 45% (and sharper) angle. (it is only one side only). I tried to draw a picture (LOL) to show my corner room TV setup. I'm sure you will understand why viewing angles are important to me. The yellow area is the only area where I can see tiny 'wave' banding. When PC gaming I like to go on the rag in the middle of the room.

I still have another week to decide if I keep the TV or not. I'm leaning toward keeping it.

Yesterday I was Wowed by "Bears" 1080P Disney documentary, the PQ was just excellent... It will be probably my demo to show what this TV can do. Also I really liked how 120Hz helps my 1080P 30FPS videos from p&s camera ... no more flickering.. Smooth was best, but it struggled with fast action, I guess standard was best of all. LOL

Attachments

#1,367 · (Edited)
You can calibrate/adjust settings or reset in any mode you like and each mode calibrated or adjusted will differ from one another on your set and most sets due to underlying CMS settings baked into that mode .

I have 3 modes (Game/Cinema/General each calibrated a little differently on mine resulting with Cinema mode most accurate to rec.709 color space with added brightness and changed to max back light and neut color temp from Sony pre set defaults.
Some TV's are able to result with accurate rec.709 color space calibration in general or custom modes mine would not YMMV.

#1,366 · (Edited)
I purchased a 55W800B yesterday at Best Buy for $1,097. It will be delivered next Tuesday. I will have some more to say later but I am only on page 14 of this thread.

One ? I would like to ask now of any current owner is the the height of the space from the cabinet that the TV sits on to the actual bottom of the picture. I'm sure my Energy center channel is too high(it's 5 1/2 " high) but I would like to know how much. These thin bezels are great, but not in this case.

I lied, One more? What is the width of the stand and also the measurement from front of front leg to back of back leg.

#1,373 ·
Hey all,
I also ordered a 55W800B this weekend for delivery Saturday> I've started reading through the posts and it sounds like a few people have some complaints about black uniformity on the set. Some of the reviews mention very good uniformity with minimal clouding and no flashlighting. How happy are W800B owners with the uniformity of this set? For background, I had a W900A earlier this year and flash lighting/clouding was the ONLY reason I returned it.

#1,376 ·
I just got my 55w800b on Tuesday and the uniformity was not very good. I had light bleed on all four corners and a blob of light off center to the left. I managed to get rid of the bleed buy taking fiber optic cloth and gently massaging the screen thus eliminating the blob and with very minimal bleed in the corners (barely noticeable even in a dark room). Otherwise the tv is excellent.

#1,377 ·
@mefan101
Do not compare un- calibrated Tvs like this. I agree with Chris on this one. Our local Best Buy store has 2 Sammy TVs on display one calibrated and one un-calibrated, and too be honest with some much lighting in the store I much prefer un-calibrated model... LOL... It is more vivid and you cannot see imperfections until you dim lighting. It is like comparing plasma vs LED in the store....

Also just like you I'm going bananas with finding proper settings for this TV LOL..

@EJ11
My uniformity is very good, please see pictures I have posted in my previous posts.

BTW... Fifa 15 PC demo in 1080P looked very good on the unit... no blur nor input lag... Cannot wait for the weekend to play it with my boys... ;)

#1,380 ·
My Old Sony KDS-60A3000 bit the dust and decided to go with the KDL60W630B. I've been very happy with it so far. Haven't really had much time to fool with settings. The only thing I noticed was when watching "The Blacklist" the first scenes seemed jumpy. I went into setting and changed some of the advanced settings and that seems to clear up the issue. I can't remember exactly which setting I changed. Anyone else experience this issue. This is my first Flat Panel display.

#1,382 ·
that model is a 60hz panel, so no soap opera effect.
It does however have a "LED MOTION MODE" that will strobe the backlight, causing the image to flicker a bit and dim the brightness, but that wont cause soap opera effect either. It can be turned on\off in the settings, I would leave it OFF.

#1,383 ·
I bought the 55W800B from Best Buy after looking at the 700B. Upon a whim for only $100 more I decided on ordering the 800B for the 3D even though it's doubtful I'll ever use it much except when my granddaughter comes over, she may get a kick out of it. I'm only in the mid 900's post and haven't read much if any comments by owners on the 3D. Looking at the reviews they said it wasn't very good and the little I've read from owners it's not ANY good at all. Forgive me if there any comments about it in the posts I haven't read yet but since my delivery is Tuesday I would like to hear from anybody about the 3D. Is it watchable at all? I may want to change my order tomorrow to the 700B or a Samsung 6400.

#1,384 · (Edited)
I can't comment on the 800B 3D performance I can tell you the W800B has exceptional contrast and deep blacks just by looking at the panel specs it has a real decent AUO MVA 120Hz panel .

I do not know know what panel is in the W700B Best buy model although folks have given good reports on the W700B picture how did both sets compare in the store ? Both have 120Hz panels and XR 480 video boards so they are certainly similar in that respect and I belive both are edge lit and the W600B 60Hz is rear lit .

Myself I would want the deepest blacks and the highest contrast possible on any 2 sets I was considering those are 2 of the most important specs for any TV.

Here are the panel specs on the W800B and some other Sony's. As you can see the W800B panel specs are real good for any LCD.

2013 Sony 40R450 Black: 0.022 cd/m2 Contrast: 4750 : 1 >Samsung SPVA Samsung SPVA cell 6 bit + high frc .
V.G. good contrast + LCD blacks both close to Sony 8x .

2014 Sony W600B Black: 0.026 cd/m2 Contrast: 3500 : 1 Samsing SPVA ( *may also be 6 bit overdrive panel )

2014 Sony W800B Black: 0.020 cd/m2 Contrast: 5260 : 1 AUO MVA5

2014 Sony W850B Black: 0.026 cd/m2 Contrast: 4273 : 1 AUO MVA5

#1,387 ·
Wow! is this thread dying. This is the first post since just before 1 AM.

I'm still awaiting the delivery of my 55W800B Tuesday. Even though I haven't received any feedback about 3D, I am still gonna receive it and decide for myself.

Any 3D comments from owners?!!!!

#1,389 ·
I haven't tried the 3d on my set yet. This is my first 3d tv and I am waiting to pick up some good content to try it out with. I don't want to purchase movies I already own just for the 3d so I am being patient. If and when you do get yours, please feel free to share your opinion about it. I look forward to reading it. Otherwise it's a great tv and the 3d is just an added bonus.

#1,388 ·
Just finished reading/scanning this whole thread in the last 4-5 days. For future reference I wrote down the post numbers of where most calibration settings were offered, as well as some pro reviews sites.
I am buying the 800B so most if not all of these pertain to it and most likely 829B and 700B.
They are as follows:

Rtings.com
Flatpanelshd.com
AVS which you can find the link in post 1281

Here are the calibration post #

261,334,344,403,409,474,521,523,647,648,736,981,988,1035,1095,1102,1211,1232,1247,1256,1276,1281(avs),1314,1318
These are a combination of calibration settings and calibration tips, enjoy.

Thanks to all that contributed!!

#1,391 ·
According to Best Buy the 700B is the same as the 800B, except for the 3D, of course.

#1,393 ·
They look very similar except for the 3D thing both being 120Hz panels and XR480 + X Reality Pro just curious if the panel is AUO or Samsung also if contrast/Min Black / luminance is same as or closer to W800/W850B than the W600B .

#1,392 ·
Whether I'll be able to judge the 3D may depend on how good of streaming 3D can be. It seems I'm a little behind the times.

I did, however, move my internet speed from 3MBPS to 20.
My wonderful Denon 1610, I have found out, will not do 3D.
I will also need a new Bluray as my old Sony BDP-N460 will not do 3D.

There is, I have found, a work around to my Denon if I get a Bluray with the necessary multiple outputs.
You may beat me to it Gosse7dn, we'll see.

#1,396 ·
Bump, for what was a very active thread.

#1,397 ·
@tubetwister

I've decided it to keep my 70w840 (Feb 2014 make). My copy has decent uniformity without any/noticeable radial bending issues. Cannot beat size and overall 2D picture. I haven't tried 3D as I have it on my projector.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/members/8473888-tubetwister.html
Today I did set my htpc (win8.1 w nvidia gtx650ti, xbmc 12.3) to use YcBCr 4:4:4 instead of RGB. Is this the recommend way? or should I change it back to RGB (full one)? THe stupid nvidia drvier won't let me change it back, I might to have to use regedit to do it. Not sure if it is worth the hassle.

#1,398 · (Edited)
BD/DVD , HDTV and IPTV are mostly all YcBCr 4:4:2 - 16-235 some enhanced BD *can be YcBCr 4:4:4 occasionally.
Your Sony TV should support YcBCr 4:4:4 just fine and for video content from a PC or player set that way it can be left at that even with the usual and more common YcBCr 4:4:2 content .

Game consoles and PC gaming are usually RGB full (if you set them that way ) most PC and console games are RGB full but may look fine at YcBCr 4:4:4 both are 0-255 colors my PC output is set to YcBCr 4:4:4 for my Sony TV it looks fine. On PS3 I switch to RGB full for games and YcBCr 4:4:4 for other video (when I remember ☺)

Chroma subsampling and device settings

For best results you should use Game mode for gaming if you need more HDMI ports HDMI switches work good they are about 10.00 set your game console to RGB full on games use game mode for games .
http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...fullrange.html

FOR Best Results If IPTV Streaming CATV/SAT or OTA or spinning discs from console you can use YcBCr 2:2:2 or YcBCr 4:4:4 chroma subsampling at the game console or other source if it allows adj. Most consumer players and STB are YcBCr 2:2:2- 16-235 by default with the exception of most Roku and maybe some other IPTV streamers which are RGB full .

Most PC and some game consoles can output full RGB or YcBCr 4:4:4 - 0-255 Chroma subsampling .

OTOH *some Blue Ray players,DVD players and Blue Ray with mastered from 4K or enhanced disc can output YcBCr 4:4:4.
http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...uperwhite.html

On PC you have to use your GPU GUI to set the output chroma subsampling or RGB profile .

Some TV's only support full RGB and YcBCr 4:4:4. when they see a PC or Game console on HDMI.
Cheap TV's and older TV may only support Limited RGB and YcBCr 4:4:2.

Most Sony's support Full RGB and YcBCr 4:4:4 on all HDMI for anything that sends it .

#1,400 ·
KDL-60R510 has Motionflow XR 240 and 120Hz panel it may not have the latest X-Reality PRO processing they only mention clear resolution enhancer at Sony and B.B. websites that might be similar to last years R4 models it's not bad if that's what it has .They both havec

The http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55...219298196084&skuId=7865123&st=w700b&cp=1&lp=2 is another alternative at Best Buy that has the latest X reality pro video processing and 120Hz VA panel also.

Maybe you can look at them side by side at Best Buy .

#1,401 ·
@tubetwister

Thanks so much for a lot of info. ;) Funny enough after rebooting my system I got RGB back under digital color format. I would like to use full RGB mode.

Believe or not but it looks like NVidia drivers have limitation (according to many users) and full RGB mode might not be supported even by the latest drivers.

There are workarounds around this:

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/correcting-hdmi-colour-on-nvidia-and-amd-gpus/

I've tried to use 3rd solution and I run Nvidia Full/Limited Range Toggler, however after rebooting I didn't notice any difference. Not that I saw the problem prior to it. LOL

I tired to test some test patterns and 50% brightness I had no issue with black pattern test. I can see all squares.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

However I cannot display #253 nor #254 under contrast test.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php

I've tried to play with the settings without much luck. Possibly some advanced setting is causing this. I wonder if you or someone on your calibrated display. Maybe the test is invalid.

Another thing I need to work on adjusting colors. With warm 1 or 2 I find the picture to yellowish, natural is probably the best to my eyes, but I still get this pink/yellowish/greenish tint... the human skin doesn't look too natural.

Thank you for all your help ;)

#1,402 · (Edited)
255 is super white anyway 253 is plenty and probably whiter than 99% of the TV /video content out there especiially keeping in mind most consumer video content color only goes out to YCbCr4:4:2 - 16 235 anyway .

TV AVS HD709 is a good file to download and either burn a DVD or play from your hdd or a USB to visually calibrate or visually optimoze a TV just ignore the images that require a meter and ofc bring your brightness up from reference black setting until blacks still look black but liminance is adequate usually ~ 49-55% on most TV's there is a good pdf to download and read there.

Yellowish skin can be too much green hue or to much gamma try adjusting those you shouldn't need to adjust any colors on the PC I would set those to default then adjust at the TV or better yet just use AVS HD 709 images straight into the TV from a USB or DVD player when using AVS HD 709 70-75% saturation images are usually best .

I would stay out of any white balance/ grey scale etc calibration adj. on the TV (if it has any ) .

Without a meter and calibration software Use Images from from a DVD/BD or USB then set the TV at the TV with that then set the PC to YCbCr4:4:4 and the the PC should look fine on the TV then copy the settings to other inputs and modes you use so TV will look fine on TV /BD/DVD /OTA also .

Only time you *may need* full RGB is *some *PC or console gaming ,and photo editing other than that YCbCr4:4:4 should be fine

Neut color temp on TV would be a suggestion YMMMV. .

I have my PC to TV set to YCbCr4:4:4 chroma subsample and 0-255 color space that implies. (see your link below.)

using the YCbCr444 colour signal

It is very easy to get rid of that ‘washed out’ look and the problematic gamma by setting the graphics card to use the YCbCr444 colour format. Simply open the Nvidia Control Panel and navigate to ‘Display’ – ‘Adjust desktop color settings’. Select ‘YCbCr444’ from the ‘Digital color format’ dropdown as shown below. The ‘Black Level’ option on the monitor, if there is one, should be greyed out after selecting this colour signal type.
https://pcmonitors.info/articles/correcting-hdmi-colour-on-nvidia-and-amd-gpus/[URL][/quote]

#1,403 ·
@tubetwister

Thanks again for your help. I will play with the settings again.

I believe you provided me with rtings.com gaming settings which I might try tonight. I will up the backlight to 7 (from 3 though).

Also I will look into 444 chroma thread for more samples / testing material.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...official-4-4-4-chroma-subsampling-thread.html

If I cannot get 4:4:4 full RGB working on my HTPC, I might go back to YBR4:4:4...

When should I change gamma setting? in the gamming mode it sits at 0 (rtings.com gaming settings )... where in the cinema I've seen people using -2.

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/sony/w800b/settings

thanks again ;)

#1,410 ·
I currently have a Sony W802a with really bad vertical banding, annoying flashlighting in the top right corner and a dead pixel to boot. I am looking into the W800b as a potential replacement (mainly due to price) and want to hear from any current 800 owners:

What's the banding/clouding/DSE situation like on this set?

Conversely, what are the main advantages (if any) of the W850 over the 800?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

#1,411 · (Edited)
60W850B- Please help identify screen issue

Hello all...I purchased my Sony 60W850B on 7/1/14 and have been experiencing the issue shown in pictures for about the last three weeks. :( As you can see, there's a large "blob" that usually has a lighter "halo" around it. It does this during both light and dark scenes, sometimes causing the image on screen to become yellowish (almost like a tobacco stain) or it just displays the dark spot. I've unplugged the TV, duplicated on multiple sources, factory reset, and I'm still having the issue.

I've been given the option of returning to Sony or having "an authorized repair center" fix it, which I was told would take about 2-3 weeks. The NBA season (of course) starts tomorrow- does anyone know what this is, how to fix it, or have any advice on which option to go with through Sony? Thanks in advance! :smile:

Attachments

#1,415 ·
Hello all...I purchased my Sony 60W850B on 7/1/14 and have been experiencing the issue shown in pictures for about the last three weeks. :( As you can see, there's a large "blob" that usually has a lighter "halo" around it. It does this during both light and dark scenes, sometimes causing the image on screen to become yellowish (almost like a tobacco stain) or it just displays the dark spot. I've unplugged the TV, duplicated on multiple sources, factory reset, and I'm still having the issue.

I've been given the option of returning to Sony or having "an authorized repair center" fix it, which I was told would take about 2-3 weeks. The NBA season (of course) starts tomorrow- does anyone know what this is, how to fix it, or have any advice on which option to go with through Sony? Thanks in advance! :smile:
Looks like a bad panel it could be a delayed effect of shipping damage or a build defect either way Sony should replace the panel or the set .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.