Sony 2014 W600B,W800B,W850B - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #1 of 1011 Old 01-21-2014, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Found on best buy today.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/bravia-50-class-49-1-2-diag--led-1080p-60hz-smart-3d-hdtv/3419028.p?id=1219091132473&skuId=3419028&st=categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=15

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/bravia-70-class-69-1-2-diag--led-1080p-120hz-smart-3d-hdtv/3420005.p?id=1219091131102&skuId=3420005&st=categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=2&lp=1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/bravia-60-class-60-diag--led-1080p-120hz-smart-hdtv/3419019.p?id=1219091130365&skuId=3419019&st=categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=2&lp=6
Dr.Shankenstein is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 1011 Old 01-21-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wtfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I hope we get tested reviews out soon. If they are better than last years Sony's flagship W900 model, then they are a buy.
wtfer is offline  
post #3 of 1011 Old 02-21-2014, 05:52 PM
Newbie
 
trickbiker121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am interested in the KDL70W850B but I don't want to wall mount the TV and I am having trouble finding a TV stand that will support the TV since the stands are on the sides rather than in the middle like the W900 or R550. Does anyone have any suggestion for a TV stand. The width of the TV according to the Sony website is  62 3/7 in(1585.9mm). Thanks in advance.

trickbiker121 is offline  
post #4 of 1011 Old 02-22-2014, 04:51 AM
Senior Member
 
ggw2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickbiker121 View Post

I am interested in the KDL70W850B but I don't want to wall mount the TV and I am having trouble finding a TV stand that will support the TV since the stands are on the sides rather than in the middle like the W900 or R550. Does anyone have any suggestion for a TV stand. The width of the TV according to the Sony website is  62 3/7 in(1585.9mm). Thanks in advance.

The legs on the TV are adjustable smile.gif. They can be moved in from the edges. Look at sonystyle and I believe under "features" it says tabletop stand.....

http://store.sony.com/gsi/webstore/WFS/SNYNA-SNYUS-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProduct-Start?SKU=27-KDL70W850B
trickbiker121 likes this.
ggw2000 is offline  
post #5 of 1011 Old 02-22-2014, 05:08 AM
Member
 
GreatGrady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

I hope we get tested reviews out soon. If they are better than last years Sony's flagship W900 model, then they are a buy.

No triluminos panel. Been waiting for a 60 inch display w/that technology. Like the wedge design too (for an entertainment console) - argh!
GreatGrady is offline  
post #6 of 1011 Old 02-22-2014, 10:50 AM
Newbie
 
trickbiker121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post


The legs on the TV are adjustable smile.gif. They can be moved in from the edges. Look at sonystyle and I believe under "features" it says tabletop stand.....

http://store.sony.com/gsi/webstore/WFS/SNYNA-SNYUS-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProduct-Start?SKU=27-KDL70W850B

Thank you for your reply. I didn't even think that the legs could be adjustable, I also contacted the Sony Rep and he confirmed that the legs do move. Thanks again ggw2000 for your help. This makes finding a tv stand easy. 

trickbiker121 is offline  
post #7 of 1011 Old 02-22-2014, 11:17 AM
Senior Member
 
ggw2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickbiker121 View Post

Thank you for your reply. I didn't even think that the legs could be adjustable, I also contacted the Sony Rep and he confirmed that the legs do move. Thanks again ggw2000 for your help. This makes finding a tv stand easy. 

Did the Sony Rep indicate how far the legs could be moved in from the end?
Gerry
ggw2000 is offline  
post #8 of 1011 Old 02-22-2014, 11:30 AM
Newbie
 
trickbiker121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post


Did the Sony Rep indicate how far the legs could be moved in from the end?
Gerry

No sorry he didn't mention how far in it can move. All he said was that the legs can move "inwards and outwards"

trickbiker121 is offline  
post #9 of 1011 Old 02-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Newbie
 
jdpworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Regarding W800A

 

I was looking at these on the Canadian Sony site yesterday. I guess they call the Canadian number W790B. I have been asking some of the sales

reps for info on these, especially lag times but I was not able to get much information other than the panel has Active 3D and the input lag times should be comparable to the W802A.

jdpworks is offline  
post #10 of 1011 Old 02-22-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
*UFO*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpworks View Post

Regarding W800A

I was looking at these on the Canadian Sony site yesterday. I guess they call the Canadian number W790B. I have been asking some of the sales
reps for info on these, especially lag times but I was not able to get much information other than the panel has Active 3D and the input lag times should be comparable to the W802A.

Most likely input lag will be great, and most likely Sony will again take the crown for fastest gaming tv's of the year.
*UFO* is offline  
post #11 of 1011 Old 02-22-2014, 11:10 PM
Member
 
newz54's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did anyone see the w850b at CES. Wondering if I should buy the w850a instead of waiting for the newer model. I understand sony has downgraded some of the internals.....like the dimming and triluminous technology but there has to be some newer technology in these new sets????
newz54 is offline  
post #12 of 1011 Old 02-23-2014, 05:21 AM
Member
 
bigwali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by newz54 View Post

Did anyone see the w850b at CES. Wondering if I should buy the w850a instead of waiting for the newer model. I understand sony has downgraded some of the internals.....like the dimming and triluminous technology but there has to be some newer technology in these new sets????

I'm not seeing it in the W850B and the lower prices reflect it. Besides the W850A , take a look at the S990A.
bigwali is offline  
post #13 of 1011 Old 02-23-2014, 02:34 PM
Newbie
 
jdpworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

So I have just started my search looking for a new TV and the current W802 was in my price range. I assume the

W800B is the comparable incoming model. I'm trying to sort out if I should buy an older model as they sell them off or pick

up one of these newer models.. Is the tech in the newer models supposed to be better? News on Sony exiting the TV market.

jdpworks is offline  
post #14 of 1011 Old 02-25-2014, 12:48 PM
Member
 
Toronto1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also just had Sony Canada offer to replace my faulty KDL70R550A with a KDL70W840B. I'm not happy that it's active 3D rather than passive, but other than that from the spec it seems like a better tv. (Hard to say for sure until it's actually released and the reviews come out).

One thing I'm unsure of is if the W840B is edge-lit or back-lit. Does anyone know?

(I also a bit worried as to why they are numbering the Canadian model 840 and the US model 850. Are there other differences with the internals that may not be apparent from the website specs?)
Toronto1970 is offline  
post #15 of 1011 Old 02-25-2014, 12:54 PM
Newbie
 
onedesigntalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From what I've found online the w840n is edge-lit
onedesigntalk is offline  
post #16 of 1011 Old 02-25-2014, 01:15 PM
Newbie
 
jdpworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm really not sure why they are numbering some models differently Canada W790B = W800B in the US.

Toronto1970 was it you I read in another  thread that accepted the new TV and it's shipping to you already?

jdpworks is offline  
post #17 of 1011 Old 02-25-2014, 01:20 PM
Member
 
Toronto1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpworks View Post

I'm really not sure why they are numbering some models differently Canada W790B = W800B in the US.
Toronto1970 was it you I read in another  thread that accepted the new TV and it's shipping to you already?

No, it wasn't me, although I now realized that I posted to the wrong thread! (since it was indeed the other thread that others were discussing Sony Canada offering to swap out for this model!)

I haven't actually accepted the new tv yet - I just got an e-mail a few hours ago offering the swap (and giving me 5 days to decide). I'm pretty sure I will accept -- especially since, specs aside, I like the look of this tv more! There was no word on when the swap would take place -- but presumably it wouldn't be for a few weeks since the Sony Canada site says the new sets aren't available yet.
Toronto1970 is offline  
post #18 of 1011 Old 02-25-2014, 07:59 PM
Newbie
 
erios8035's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: los angeles
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did anyone notice the price drop on the w850b?
Best buy and sony have lower the price...
erios8035 is offline  
post #19 of 1011 Old 03-06-2014, 09:30 AM
Newbie
 
jdpworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I looks like Sony.ca has these in stock and my local store says they are arriving today...

jdpworks is offline  
post #20 of 1011 Old 03-06-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone tell me if there is a Sony TV from 2013 line up that will be very close in terms of approximating the picture of the 2014 W850b?

I'm going to be going by a Sony store tomorrow and thought I'd stop in and look at the 65W850a, which I'm also interested in. Since that uses the Triluminous (sp?) display which the W850b lacks, I want to see a Sony TV that makes use of the tech that's will be in the W850b when it releases in late March.

Thanks!
Danabw is offline  
post #21 of 1011 Old 03-06-2014, 03:26 PM
Member
 
bigwali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

Can someone tell me if there is a Sony TV from 2013 line up that will be very close in terms of approximating the picture of the 2014 W850b?

I'm going to be going by a Sony store tomorrow and thought I'd stop in and look at the 65W850a, which I'm also interested in. Since that uses the Triluminous (sp?) display which the W850b lacks, I want to see a Sony TV that makes use of the tech that's will be in the W850b when it releases in late March.

Thanks!
The 2013 55 inch W900A or the 65 inch S990A would be your best bests. The W850A is a lesser set than those 2 as far as Sony technologies implemented.
bigwali is offline  
post #22 of 1011 Old 03-06-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwali View Post

The 2013 55 inch W900A or the 65 inch S990A would be your best bests. The W850A is a lesser set than those 2 as far as Sony technologies implemented.

Thanks!

But of course a couple questions - based on what I've read I thought that since the W850a has the Triluminos screen, that would put it above the W850B in terms of Sony's display tech. Did I get that wrong?

Also, the W900A and S990A both have the Triluminos tech as well. Wouldn't I need to look at a 2103 model that lacks Triluminos?

So I'm a little confused about the importance of Triluminos being there or not.
Danabw is offline  
post #23 of 1011 Old 03-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Member
 
bigwali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

Thanks!

But of course a couple questions - based on what I've read I thought that since the W850a has the Triluminos screen, that would put it above the W850B in terms of Sony's display tech. Did I get that wrong?

Also, the W900A and S990A both have the Triluminos tech as well. Wouldn't I need to look at a 2103 model that lacks Triluminos?

So I'm a little confused about the importance of Triluminos being there or not.

Sony switched things up in 2014 so it is confusing. Yes, you are correct, the W850A does have triluminos while the W850B doesn't. To muddy the waters even more, there's rumors Sony switched to a different panel for the W8 series in 2014 so comparing them would be apples and oranges. Also new in 2014 on some Sony sets is Extended Dynamic Range. In general, I would say a Sony TV that has triluminos will be better and cost more than one that doesn't. So, the W850B has no triluminos and has frame dimming instead of local dimming which the better sets have. If you want to compare the W850B to 2013 models, look at the R550A and the W802A. Good luck!
bigwali is offline  
post #24 of 1011 Old 03-06-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwali View Post

Sony switched things up in 2014 so it is confusing. Yes, you are correct, the W850A does have triluminos while the W850B doesn't. To muddy the waters even more, there's rumors Sony switched to a different panel for the W8 series in 2014 so comparing them would be apples and oranges. Also new in 2014 on some Sony sets is Extended Dynamic Range. In general, I would say a Sony TV that has triluminos will be better and cost more than one that doesn't. So, the W850B has no triluminos and has frame dimming instead of local dimming which the better sets have. If you want to compare the W850B to 2013 models, look at the R550A and the W802A. Good luck!

Thanks!
Danabw is offline  
post #25 of 1011 Old 03-06-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Couple of other questions I forgot.

Viewing angle: Given the technology, known and unknown for the W850B, I assume there isn't a reliable way to predict viewing angles? Not the widest at which you can still see a picture, but the widest at which the picture still looks good, hasn't starting washing out. That's something that's important to us.

SOE: Don't care for SOE, the only time I might want some motion processing could be sports. Does Sony typically provide enough control that you can get a good "film" experience from their TVs?

Thanks.
Danabw is offline  
post #26 of 1011 Old 03-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Newbie
 
jdpworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Sony online rep tells me the W800B has a 13.5ms input lag response.... thoughts?

jdpworks is offline  
post #27 of 1011 Old 03-06-2014, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
*UFO*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpworks View Post

Sony online rep tells me the W800B has a 13.5ms input lag response.... thoughts?

The fact that a rep told you that makes me feel very confident that Sony is aware and constantly working on lowering input lag. The W829B (W800B in US), was measured as having 22ms with the LB input lag tester. That is very good, and you will not notice that even in the most demanding games.
*UFO* is offline  
post #28 of 1011 Old 03-07-2014, 02:27 PM
Member
 
rf611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Was about to pull the trigger on the 55" W802A from last year, but the W800B seems very tempting at its price. Anyone know if there would be any advantages to getting the W800B as opposed to the W802A, such as the off-chance that the uniformality might be better than the 802A? The lower half of the W800B seems to be quite thick, perhaps this suggests better speakers too (Sony's site has them listed at 8W each opposed to the 10W ones in the 802)? Mainly concerned about getting a dud W802A since there's been a lot of flashlighting issues and what not with those. What would the advantages of sticking with the W802A be other than a larger screen?

rf611 is offline  
post #29 of 1011 Old 03-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Member
 
bigwali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rf611 View Post

Was about to pull the trigger on the 55" W802A from last year, but the W800B seems very tempting at its price. Anyone know if there would be any advantages to getting the W800B as opposed to the W802A, such as the off-chance that the uniformality might be better than the 802A? The lower half of the W800B seems to be quite thick, perhaps this suggests better speakers too (Sony's site has them listed at 8W each opposed to the 10W ones in the 802)? Mainly concerned about getting a dud W802A since there's been a lot of flashlighting issues and what not with those. What would the advantages of sticking with the W802A be other than a larger screen?

The 3D is different on the W802A (Passive) vs the new W800B (Active) which may indicate a different panel is being used. If they use a VA panel in the new W800B, then the blacks and contrast will be better than last years W802A but the viewing angle will not be as good with the W800B.
bigwali is offline  
post #30 of 1011 Old 03-15-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Danabw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So has anyone seen a W850B in the wild yet? Supposedly they might be at stores this weekend...

Never mind - called a store and found they aren't there and they didn't really have any clear idea when they would.

Just sad, you can see why Sony is going down the tubes as a company.
Danabw is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off