post #91 of 103 Old 03-30-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

There must be a lot of people who fall for slick marketing frown.gif Otherwise snake oil salesmen like Bill Low would be out of business. Somebody else in another thread was asking if "nitrogen-injected dielectric" cables were worth the money. Say what? eek.gif

I think my favorite is still the "vibration dampeners" for the power cords to AV equipment.  It lifts it off the floor on the way to the power outlet.  Can't have that stuff jiggling.  It'll ruin the sound.  (LOL)....

Well vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, was banned for silly reasons. And now vinnie_RIP is banned as well. The mark of an inexperienced moderator is to forget that their role is one of resource, not one of petulant authority and further that the members are doing the forum organization a favor by being here, not the other way around. They know darn well they screwed up here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 103 Old 03-30-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:

There must be a lot of people who fall for slick marketing frown.gif Otherwise snake oil salesmen like Bill Low would be out of business. Somebody else in another thread was asking if "nitrogen-injected dielectric" cables were worth the money. Say what? eek.gif
Actually a lot of polyethylene foam insulation is Nitrogen injected. It can produce a more consistent foam than air does. Here's what BlueJeans has to say about it:
Quote:
Fine materials and quality manufacturing practices make the best cables; but the best materials for cable manufacture aren't always the most exotic or fancy-sounding. Not only are quality copper wire and nitrogen-injected PE foam dielectric great materials for building a precision video cable, but manufacturers like Belden make the best use of these excellent materials by employing them in well-engineered manufacturing processes, with tight tolerances. The result: cables of the highest quality, relied upon worldwide by professional broadcast engineers when the quality of the signal is of the utmost importance.

It's not always snake oil...eek.gif

EDIT: Now those cable elevators....
post #93 of 103 Old 03-30-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Quote:

Actually a lot of polyethylene foam insulation is Nitrogen injected. It can produce a more consistent foam than air does. Here's what BlueJeans has to say about it:
Quote:
Fine materials and quality manufacturing practices make the best cables; but the best materials for cable manufacture aren't always the most exotic or fancy-sounding. Not only are quality copper wire and nitrogen-injected PE foam dielectric great materials for building a precision video cable, but manufacturers like Belden make the best use of these excellent materials by employing them in well-engineered manufacturing processes, with tight tolerances. The result: cables of the highest quality, relied upon worldwide by professional broadcast engineers when the quality of the signal is of the utmost importance.

It's not always snake oil...eek.gif

EDIT: Now those cable elevators....

.....and then there's this:

http://www.hifi-advice.com/cable-and-its-jacket-info.html

LOL!

Try to read this @#$% with a straight face.....oh man....Note: he's talking about adding extra sheeting to a power cable.

Quote:
Adding another layer of sheeting

Now, if removing a layer of sheeting, what would adding a layer do? I wouln't blame anyone for thinking that it wouldn't do much but again this has a very pronounced effect and the direction in which you can take the sound of a given cable varies with the material you use. I've done tests with many materials and each time the effect is different. Funnily enough, the effect sort of correlates with the impression you have with a given material. For example: cotton. You think soft, smooth, right? Well indeed this is more or less what it does to the sound.

Well vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, was banned for silly reasons. And now vinnie_RIP is banned as well. The mark of an inexperienced moderator is to forget that their role is one of resource, not one of petulant authority and further that the members are doing the forum organization a favor by being here, not the other way around. They know darn well they screwed up here.
post #94 of 103 Old 03-30-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I can't tongue.gif Maybe after another glass of wine though....
post #95 of 103 Old 03-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

.....and then there's this:

http://www.hifi-advice.com/cable-and-its-jacket-info.html

LOL!

Try to read this @#$% with a straight face.....oh man....Note: he's talking about adding extra sheeting to a power cable.

Hysterical. I couldn't read it anymore I was laughing. Have you ever noticed that there are certain phrases always used like it lifted a veil or I've never heard my system sound so etc etc. Wait a minute. How many veils get lifted and how many times can a system be dramatically improved by cables. Anyone ever wonder how crappy the system must have sounded like to begin with if we accept those exaggerated statements?

I'm still laughing about how he claims that RG59 sounds fast and neutral. So quad shield RG60 will knock him into tomorrow, right? biggrin.gif

post #96 of 103 Old 03-30-2014, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I'm crying laughing. Tears. Tears!

This has to be like harlequin romance grade. Seriously? Cotton stockings on a cable make it fluid, recessed? How did you find this article. It has to be one of the best, hysterical ones I've ever read.

Belden with thin cotton stocking

With the thin stocking applied, the Belden suddenly starts sounding like a completely different cable. At first you wouldn't think that it's a Belden at all because it exhibits positive sides similar to the HT: it is more smooth, more relaxed, more fluid, less aggressive. For a few moments I am amazed because this tweak apparently turned a Belden into a HT cable! But quite quickly I recognise the Belden's inherent leanness and lack of richness and also start to notice additional downsides. Where the HT compensates its slower, more relaxed nature with more colour, more fullness and richness and a romantic glow as well as a larger soundstage, the Belden with cotton sleeve takes away the Belden's good points and substitutes few good ones. Indeed, the cable is now pretty smooth and less harsh in the treble, for sure that's good, but it also takes away a lot of speed and dynamic slam and the midrange now sounds recessed. The cable sounds quite a bit slower and dynamically compressed, as if the music suffocates. The bass is less dry than the naked Belden which again is a good thing but the sleeve doesn't add the harmonic richness that makes the HT so compelling. Of course it isn't fair to compare a Belden to a Harmonic Technology but even compared to the "naked" Belden, you pay a price for using the sleeving. The sleeve is a smoothmaker but it may simply be too much for many systems.

post #97 of 103 Old 03-31-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post

I'm crying laughing. Tears. Tears!

This has to be like harlequin romance grade. Seriously? Cotton stockings on a cable make it fluid, recessed? How did you find this article. It has to be one of the best, hysterical ones I've ever read.

I had to read it a few times in batches (I couldn't handle it all at once) for me to realize that this wasn't an article from The Onion.  It's taken a while for the disbelief to dissipate, but I think this guy is deadly serious.

Someone better educate him on the power of psychosomatic effects.

post #98 of 103 Old 03-31-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I think Christiaan Punter has definitely put a dark cloud over Belden. I tried, but couldn't finish the article.
post #99 of 103 Old 05-13-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The question I have doesn't relate to any of the hype around cables, but rather a more simple issue. The cables I have, and the ones I recently bought from Amazon, seem to be a little loose fitting on both my Denon x2000 and Samsung TV...with quite a bit of wiggle room up and down. They don't fall off, or anything, but they aren't snug either.

Is that an issue? If so, are there any cable brands in the really inexpensive price range that would be recommended that have a snugger fit?

thanks.
post #100 of 103 Old 05-13-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

They should fit nice and snug but if you don't have any issues, and your equipment doesn't get moved around, if it ain't broke.........

That being said, if it were me, I'd try to find cables that had a tighter fit because you don't want any movement to damage the input. Recommendations? I've used MediaBridge with no snugness issues and am currently using Redmere with no snugness issues. Cost is up to you but the cheaper you go, well, you know, you get what you pay for.
post #101 of 103 Old 05-13-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

All of my Mediabridge cables are easily pulled out.  They are not loose, but they are more loose than tight.  I plugged an old Phillips cable that I bought at Sears back in the day and it was very snug.

post #102 of 103 Old 05-22-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for resurrecting this thread because I had forgotten what a train wreck that article was.  LOL!!!  Too funny.  If you haven't yet, follow the link I supplied....it's a great example of.....well, you pick the term.

{still chuckling}

post #103 of 103 Old 07-16-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Think the Maplescraps store has those Audiio s**t HDMI cables and some decent cable elevators ?

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-17-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia W Series Kdl 46w5100 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page