60"-65" TV for the Play Station 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-25-2014, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello,

I'm having a hard time picking up a good TV for my new PlayStation 4. I am new to TVs so I am hoping to get some help here...

Like a lot of other people I wanted to get the best and latest TV for my PS4. At first sight one would think that the best TVs are OLEDs or 4K LEDs. Unfortunately these new technologies carry a lot of disadvantages with them and the high price is not one that concerns me.

Since I am very new to TVs I didn't know a thing about them so my first thoughts were to get a Large Screen with a High Resolution. Thanks to this forum I found out about things such as Input Lag, Room Conditions, Viewing Angle, Brightness and what have you. This however, only made my struggle worse since I surprisingly found that there aren't much good gaming TVs at all.

Let's take the 4K TVs for example. My first choice was Philips 65PFL9708S/12. I thought WOW - great colours, EISA 2013-2014 Best Product Award, 65", 4K Resolution, AmbiLight (that's probably fun for gaming. makes it more immersive). What more could you possibly want ? Well turns out 4K TVs aren't one bit good for anything that's not 4K. In fact a few youtube videos from renowned reviewers claim that due to all the upscaling that the TV does, the games actually look worse, than when played on a native FHD TV. Aside from that, all mainstream 4K TVs have a 30Hz refresh rate. I don't care what they tell you and I have no idea why the DisplayLag database claims otherwise, but 4K TVs come with 30Hz refresh rate which sucks big time for Gaming @ 50+FPS. The truth is that the current HDMI 1.4 standard only has bandwidth for 4K at 30hz. HDMI 2.0 will add support for 4K at 60Hz.

Conclusion: No 4K TV for now.

Let's take a brief look at OLEDs. OLEDs are curved  and only come in 55". One thing that I really like about OLEDs is that they depend 100% on electricity to produce brightness, meaning you could play in a very dark room and get perfect colors, while LCD LEDs are part reflective and you will probably lose some of the quality if you play in a dark room which I do all the time. However I want a 65" and not a 55" TV and I definitely don't want a curved display as many reviews show that it creates a trapezoid-like deformation of the image.

Plasma TVs are out of the question. Their input lag is huge.

So as far as I know, my last option is to get a regular Full HD LED TV.

A summary of my requiremetnts follows. I hope you will be able to help me:

Brand: Reputable. Sony, Philips, Samsung or similar

Technology: One that offers perfect picture quality, perfect blacks, brightness and contrast and a reasonable input lag. 40ms is ok with me, I am not a pro gamer anyway.

Room Lightning. I like to keep my room dark most of the time. I never turn on the lights and I always play in the dark. I've heard that room lightning should be considered.

Screen size" 60"-65"

Resolution: FullHD or better

Refresh Rate: 120 or 240Hz, where 240Hz is much preferred.

Budget: Up to $15k

And last but not least, here are a few models that I've looked at already. I'd like to hear

1. Philips 60PFL8708S/12
2. SONY KDL-65HX955BAEP

Please not that I am from Europe and Model Numbers may vary. This is always a problem when searching for reviews.

I hope you guys can help. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: The Winner is SONY KDL65W850A. Keep reading to find out why. Many thanks to all the people who helped me make this decision. This forum is awesome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Not on your list... But Vizio Reference series when it comes out, Or the P series.. They made huge leaps this year and both are 4K sets

http://store.vizio.com/news/vizio-unveils-most-advanced-highest-performing-tv-collection-the-reference-series

Or a 70" M series vizio.. Has everything you need , looks great and has 40 ms ( ish) input lag .. I have this set and its great.. $2000

http://www.costco.com/Vizio-70%22-Class-1080P-240Hz-LED-Smart-TV-w-Theater-3D-M701D-A3.product.100049043.html

Whats odd to me is you list your price up to $15,000???? Really man? Thats a little over kill as 90% of your requirements can be found on a $500 TV from walmart

Lastly Im gonna go with the 65" Panasonic S60, If you can find one

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p65s60/4505-6482_7-35558330.html
Old 01-25-2014, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj79 View Post

Not on your list... But Vizio Reference series when it comes out, Or the P series.. They made huge leaps this year and both are 4K sets

http://store.vizio.com/news/vizio-unveils-most-advanced-highest-performing-tv-collection-the-reference-series

Or a 70" M series vizio.. Has everything you need , looks great and has 40 ms ( ish) input lag .. I have this set and its great.. $2000

http://www.costco.com/Vizio-70%22-Class-1080P-240Hz-LED-Smart-TV-w-Theater-3D-M701D-A3.product.100049043.html

Whats odd to me is you list your price up to $15,000???? Really man? Thats a little over kill as 90% of your requirements can be found on a $500 TV from walmart

Lastly Im gonna go with the 65" Panasonic S60, If you can find one

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p65s60/4505-6482_7-35558330.html

Thanks for taking the time, but your post really doesn't help.

First of all I said that 4K have 30Hz refresh rate which doesn't work at all for me. The Vizio M might be a cool TV, but I am not looking to experiment at the moment, plus I am not sure that Vizio TVs are available in Europe.

Secondly, the Panasonic isn't a choice at all. This is a Plasma TV and while with brilliant image it has a horrible input lag.

As for my budget I put it up high in case someone decided to offer something high-end like an OLED TV or what not. You know what I mean? There are a lot of people here with more information than me so I didn't want to discourage anyone.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by staykov View Post

Thanks for taking the time, but your post really doesn't help.
First of all I said that 4K have 30Hz refresh rate which doesn't work at all for me. The Vizio M might be a cool TV, but I am not looking to experiment at the moment, plus I am not sure that Vizio TVs are available in Europe.
Secondly, the Panasonic isn't a choice at all. This is a Plasma TV and while with brilliant image it has a horrible input lag.

As for my budget I put it up high in case someone decided to offer something high-end like an OLED TV or what not. You know what I mean? There are a lot of people here with more information than me so I didn't want to discourage anyone.

You need to do more research. The S60 has lower input lag (only 32ms) than any of the tv's you listed. As far as the best gaming tv out right now, and possibly ever, is the sony kdl-55w900a. I believe where you are from it is called the kdl-55w905a. This tv has just 19ms of input lag, looks amazing, and has top end specs such as 240hz, quantum dot technology, and a special mode that completely eliminates motion blur. The HX955 is one of the best tvs ever produced, but it has 42ms of input lag which will be noticeable. OLED is out of the question, not only do the current models suffer from burn in issues, but they all have extremely high input lag. The bottom line is, if you want the lowest input lag while still getting amazing picture quality, Sony is your friend. If the w900a is too small for you, take a look at the kdl-65w850a.
staykov likes this.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

You need to do more research. The S60 has lower input lag (only 32ms) than any of the tv's you listed. As far as the best gaming tv out right now, and possibly ever, is the sony kdl-55w900a. I believe where you are from it is called the kdl-55w905a. This tv has just 19ms of input lag, looks amazing, and has top end specs such as 240hz, quantum dot technology, and a special mode that completely eliminates motion blur. The HX955 is one of the best tvs ever produced, but it has 42ms of input lag which will be noticeable. OLED is out of the question, not only do the current models suffer from burn in issues, but they all have extremely high input lag. The bottom line is, if you want the lowest input lag while still getting amazing picture quality, Sony is your friend. If the w900a is too small for you, take a look at the kdl-65w850a.

Oh really ? Can you show me where you checked the Input Lag information of the TVs that I listed, because I couldn't find any.
I am not looking for extremely low input lag. As I've stated 30ms or so is ok for me.

You are giving some good advice. I will probably settle for the KDL-65W850A. It's only 120Hz, Do you think this will be an issue ? I'd like to hear some more opinions about this model. What do you guys think. Thanks.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh really ? Can you show me where you checked the Input Lag information of the TVs that I listed, because I couldn't find any.

I am not looking for extremely low input lag. As I've stated 30ms or so is ok for me.

You are giving some good advice. I will probably settle for the KDL-65W850A. It's only 120Hz, Do you think this will be an issue ? I'd like to hear some more opinions about this model. What do you guys think. Thanks.

You will have to convert the US model numbers but this list is great for looking up input lag: http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/#participants-list As far as the w850a, it has got nothing but great reviews. Whether or not 120hz vs 240hz will be noticeable depends on the person. The difference should be very subtle, if even noticeable.
staykov likes this.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

KDL-65W855A
Is this the european equivalent of the W850A ?

Old 01-25-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

KDL-65W855A

Is this the european equivalent of the W850A ?

Yes.
staykov likes this.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes.

I am liking this TV a lot. I think it's the winner.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes.

I saw the following review on Sony's website about the W850A. Can you please explain what is the problem that the guy is complaining about ?

Quote:
The only reason I am giving this 5 stars is that the black levels and colors are amazing. There is 0 flashlighting or clouding on this set, which is a HUGE deal to me.
The only thing I have noticed with this set is that the panel has some vertical banding through the middle of the screen, which can be seen at times depending on what is on the screen, or during some panning shots and is slightly annoying, but otherwise this TV is one of the best I've seen.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Vertical banding is an issue that many LCD's have. Specifically, larger screens (60" +) have it worse. Do a search for vertical banding and you will see pictures of it. If it is mild, it will be hardly noticeable. Some screens have it really bad and would be reason for an exchange or return.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

I get it. I hope the W850A doesn't have it as bad. When is the banding most visible ?

Old 01-26-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I get it. I hope the W850A doesn't have it as bad. When is the banding most visible ?

The picture you posted is an extreme case and its highly unlikely you will experience that. Vertical banding is most noticeable on grey screens, or in scenes when there is panning.
staykov likes this.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The picture you posted is an extreme case and its highly unlikely you will experience that. Vertical banding is most noticeable on grey screens, or in scenes when there is panning.

I just ordered the W850A. Yay, I am so excited.

Tags
Sony Kdl65w850a 65 Inch 3d Led Hdtv , Playstation 4 Console
Gear in this thread