Console gaming on a 4K TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-25-2014, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll be in the market for a new TV around March - April, and I'm seriously considering a 4K TV, because I plan to have this TV for the next 5-10 years. However in the stores I've only ever seen them with native 4K content (which looks stunning). However, here in Australia especially, there is literally no 4K content available. No streaming service, no movies, no players. My primary use for the TV will be gaming on PS4/PS3 and Wii U, but I do have a pretty big BluRay collection and love watching movies too.

I can't seem to find many sources where people have actually played a console games on a 4K TV and whether it looks any good. I've got this worry that it'll look janky, like an SD source on a UHD TV.

Has anyone got a 4K TV they use for gaming? Or at least played Playstation/Xbox/Wii U on a 4K TV and seen what it looks like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-28-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I've not seen any games on a 4k TV. But, think of it this way. Most XBox360 and PS3 games were 720p and many of them were sub-720p, then they were upscaled to 1080p when connected to a 1080p display. Most of those games looked great on 1080p sets, despite being 720p or less. I have no doubt that the newer consoles will still look great on a 4k set. Obviously, they won't look as sharp as native 4k material, but they should still look very good. It's not like you're upscaling 240p to 4k.

With that said, I don't think 4k content is going to be very mainstream for several years, if even that. People are still buying DVDs in droves and many are still hesitant to adopt Blu-ray. How fast could 4k possibly take off? Again, this is all my opinion, but with how popular streaming of shows and movies in mediocre picture quality is, I wouldn't expect to see a ton of 4k content, at least not in the immediate future. Personally, I'd spend some good money on a good quality, large 1080p set. However, if you really feel the need to have a 4k set, I have no doubt the newer consoles will look darn good on them.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page