Sony vs Samsung UHD TV comparison - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-26-2014, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Anyone with experience with these two displays? Is it worth their asking price or better to wait for prices to come down? 2014 models ? new features compared to 13 models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-26-2014, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have the UB65F9000 and I had the Sony Xbr65x850a previously.

Take this with a grain of salt as this is completely my opinion.

I would give the Sony the edge in Albeit slightly in black level,

The Samsung has more internet apps and I haven't had any issues with them working. The Sony would occasionally hang and then restart the TV.
Prefer the Samsung smart remote - easier for me to use and backlight while the Sony isn't.

I also preferred the Samsung menus.
Samsung also has a better upgrade path through their One Connect box.

Lastly the screen uniformity of the Samsung was better than the Sony I had but I think it just depends on the TV you end up with irrespective of brand.

Other than the upgrade path of the One connect both are good sets. My only recommendation is to purchase from somewhere you can do an exchange in case you get one with screen uniformity issues.
Forget to mention the off angle view of the Samsung was noticeably better.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-26-2014, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Appreciate your opinion. Do you think it's worth while to wait for the 2014's?
post #4 of 16 Old 01-26-2014, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats2cars View Post

I currently have the UB65F9000 and I had the Sony Xbr65x850a previously.

Take this with a grain of salt as this is completely my opinion.

I would give the Sony the edge in Albeit slightly in black level,

The Samsung has more internet apps and I haven't had any issues with them working. The Sony would occasionally hang and then restart the TV.
Prefer the Samsung smart remote - easier for me to use and backlight while the Sony isn't.

I also preferred the Samsung menus.
Samsung also has a better upgrade path through their One Connect box.

Lastly the screen uniformity of the Samsung was better than the Sony I had but I think it just depends on the TV you end up with irrespective of brand.

Other than the upgrade path of the One connect both are good sets. My only recommendation is to purchase from somewhere you can do an exchange in case you get one with screen uniformity issues.
Forget to mention the off angle view of the Samsung was noticeably better.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Do you think it's worth while to pay the premium over the 8000?
post #5 of 16 Old 01-26-2014, 03:48 PM

I actually came from the F8000. I tried 2 sets that had terrible screen uniformity and I figured since they were from the same batch I would keep having issues.
I thought going to a different brand and a more "up level" set the quality control would be better. At the time I did the exchange I received a better price on the Sony.
The uniformity was a lot better on the x850 than the F8000 but there was still noticeable clouding. My mom disliked the aesthetics of the Sony so I actually exchanged it for the Lg la9700. Before it was delivered however one of their competitors had a Lg and the Samsung selling for the same price (much lower than what they were selling it for. I decided to go with the Samsung due to the One connect and they would have had to price match the Lg below their cost. (Yes I know not my problem but that was a Tv number 4 and if the replacement sucked then TV number 5)

Returning to your question both the x850a and the F9000 have better vertical viewing angles than the F8000. I have to look up slightly at the TV and it was noticeable.
Putting the uniformity issues and vertical viewing angles aside I loved the F8000's picture. Bottom line if it wasn't for the uniformity issues I would still have the F8000.
I would say if you can get the F9000 for not much more than the 8000 then get the 9000 simply because 4k content appears as if will be a viable option this year.
If you are the type of person that upgrades their tv every couple of years no matter what then paying the premium to have a 4k TV is probably a waste of money but only you can decide.
I'm planning on keeping this tv for a few years when I analyzed everything paying the premium made sense to me.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-26-2014, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks. And no, I don't regularly upgrade TV's (audio more important to me but I do want a killer set now). I have to replace my Runco Plasma from 2005 that is not playing well with my new multichannel processor (shocking pink/purple picture, only has DVI inputs). My family also recently got into Netflix so want a TV that can steam it. Do you think it's worth while waiting for the 2014's or get a deal on a 2013?
post #7 of 16 Old 01-26-2014, 04:22 PM

If your tv can hold out possibly wait and see what the new Fald sets are like. I don't think you'll get great deals on the 2014 until closer to Black Friday though.
You should be able to score a great deal on a 2013 set now but keep in mind upgradability to Hdmi 2 and the specs for 4k streaming.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-26-2014, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

If your tv can hold out possibly wait and see what the new Fald sets are like. I don't think you'll get great deals on the 2014 until closer to Black Friday though.
You should be able to score a great deal on a 2013 set now but keep in mind upgradability to Hdmi 2 and the specs for 4k streaming.
Yes, it's the HDMI2 that I'm concerned about. My old set is still working connecting my Oppo player directly to the display. It just doesn't work through my processor.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-26-2014, 04:54 PM

The Sony is supposed to have the upgrade via firmware that I think is supposed to be out already. Not sure if anyone has actually confirmed it is in place and works though.
For sure the one connect box will have it but everyone is speculating it will probably cost another $500.
I would say see what the price you can get either the Sony or the Samsung for. Keep in mind that I wasn't too impressed with the fact the Sony tv kept hanging and restarting. Could have just been a problem with my specific set.
Tough call.

The main thing I hate about the Samsung is the stand (too wide) and I wished it had Fald.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-26-2014, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Sony is supposed to have the upgrade via firmware that I think is supposed to be out already. Not sure if anyone has actually confirmed it is in place and works though.
For sure the one connect box will have it but everyone is speculating it will probably cost another $500.
I would say see what the price you can get either the Sony or the Samsung for. Keep in mind that I wasn't too impressed with the fact the Sony tv kept hanging and restarting. Could have just been a problem with my specific set.
Tough call.

The main thing I hate about the Samsung is the stand (too wide) and I wished it had Fald.
Yes, I would prefer Fald too
post #11 of 16 Old 01-28-2014, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Anyone else with advice?
post #12 of 16 Old 02-09-2014, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren View Post

Anyone with experience with these two displays? Is it worth their asking price or better to wait for prices to come down? 2014 models ? new features compared to 13 models.

The Sony 55/65 x850a has a glaring design defect in 3D, so go with the Samsung if you have any interest in 3D. If 3D means nothing tp you. then go with the Sony since there's no other brand that is offering uncompressed, full quality 4K content now or the foreseeable future.
See attached photos which I took off my Sony 65x850a. The 3D defect is by design, so there is no fix for it. av46.jpg 309k .jpg file
post #13 of 16 Old 02-09-2014, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller11 View Post

The Sony 55/65 x850a has a glaring design defect in 3D, so go with the Samsung if you have any interest in 3D. If 3D means nothing tp you. then go with the Sony since there's no other brand that is offering uncompressed, full quality 4K content now or the foreseeable future.
See attached photos which I took off my Sony 65x850a. The 3D defect is by design, so there is no fix for it. av46.jpg 309k .jpg file
Thanks for advice. Do you think it's worth while waiting for the 2014's?
post #14 of 16 Old 02-10-2014, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvuuren View Post

Thanks for advice. Do you think it's worth while waiting for the 2014's?

Yes,because:
1. The 2014 4Ks will probably show up at retailers in March, so not that long to wait.
2. Maybe Sony will fix the defective 3D on the 2014 models
3. The 2013 4Ks may not be capable of streaming because they lack the H.265 codec (AKA 'HEVC').
All the 2014s will have this codec. Of course streaming may/may not be possible with a computer, all depends on
the streaming source. For example, Netflix will be streaming 'House of Cards season 2' in 4K. But, they'll encode with the H.265 codec. Currently, the only player that
plays Netflix is the Silverlight player which lacks the H.265. So the only way a 2013 4K TV plays Netflix is either Netflix allows other players (like the VLC video player), or,
Silverlight is upgraded to include the H.265 Codec. No way to know until Netflix starts streaming in 4K, could go either way.

#3 above is why I'm hanging on to my 2013 Sony for now since I need it as a test bed for 4K streaming. But of course it will go back to the retailer for a full refund before my return window closes.
Had I bought this Sony from a discount 'no returns' retailer, I'd be selling it on Ebay for 1/2 what I paid for it.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-10-2014, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The H.265 codec was what I was concerned about picking up a '13 model on special. My old Runco Plasma is still working just not playing weel with my new processor so I can wait a little. Thanks again for your advice.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-10-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Wouldn't blu ray players have the new codec? Use the player for decoding and output via HDMI to a 4k tv? I think that could work
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un65f9000 65 Inch 4k Ultra Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread - Un65f9000 by PriceGrabber.com