VIZIO M471i-A2 calibration help (I have searched in vain). - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-02-2014, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am not blindly posting this, I have searched everywhere for calibration settings for my VIZIO M471i-A2 TV but cannot find?

I find some for different (similar models) but I cannot even figure out how access the color specific menu (for gain and offset), what I have is a Professional Color Tuner menu but none of the settings I have found posted seem to correspond with this menu?

I am horrible with colors and cannot even begin to calibrate myself without at least getting close with someone else's settings, can anyone help?

Example, I find these online but I have no color temperature submenu? I am on software version 1.25xx but also cannot figure out how to update (wondering if updated firmware changes the menus)?? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Picture Mode: Calibrated or Calibrated Dark
Backlight: 62
Brightness: 51
Contrast: 82
Color: 49
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

Color temperature: Normal
Red Gain: 489
Green Gain: 460
Blue gain: 381
Red offset: 517
Green offset: 510
Blue offset: 515

Auto Brightness Control: Off
Black Detail: Off
Smart Dimming: On
Smooth Motion Effect: Off
Reduce Signal Noise: Off
Reduce Block Noise: Off
Film Mode: Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-02-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Did you try searching the Vizio M series thread here
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread

There are a ton of pages, someone must have listed there calibrations in there.

Also the size shouldn't matter in determining the settings, be it 47" or a 55".
post #3 of 8 Old 02-02-2014, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Have searched there and everywhere, problem as stated exists, the settings (gain and offset) don't appear to correspond to any menus on my specific model?

I promise I have SCOURED this site and many other before posting.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-10-2014, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

So I am just out of luck? No one can help?
post #5 of 8 Old 02-10-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Either call Vizio and see if the calibration options are user accessible in a menu you haven't found yet or just get a calibration disk and adjust what settings are available to you the best you can, or use the pre-sets and tweak to taste. Your particular model may not have those settings available to you. The only other option is to pay for a professional calibration because the best you can do with a disk is adjust. Keep in mind that if you do use another's settings you're not calibrating your tv, just adjusting, and because of component tolerance variability, you could make your pq worse.

Panel size can matter because different panel types may be used for different sizes, and how they respond to adjustments may be different, noticeably so in some cases.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-17-2014, 08:27 AM

Liked: 12
I would really be interested in some help with the advanced settings as well. I believe Vizio changes the professional settings menu on the M47 series with a recent FW update.
Below are the settings that the OP is talking about. My TV (bought yesterday) has the same Pro menu.

Does *anyone* have a starting point for pro calibration using this format? Thanks!

post #7 of 8 Old 03-17-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Keep in mind that if you do find settings for your model they could look totally different on your set because of component variability and viewing conditions. If you can't at least adjust the settings yourself with a disk, and you do find settings but they don't look good, then the only options left are learning how to calibrate yourself or hire a professional. The professional settings are usually achieved with a light meter and software, so unless your room conditions are exactly the same as someone else's, and your components have the same tolerance values, it's a crap shoot.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-18-2014, 08:20 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Keep in mind that if you do find settings for your model they could look totally different on your set because of component variability and viewing conditions. If you can't at least adjust the settings yourself with a disk, and you do find settings but they don't look good, then the only options left are learning how to calibrate yourself or hire a professional. The professional settings are usually achieved with a light meter and software, so unless your room conditions are exactly the same as someone else's, and your components have the same tolerance values, it's a crap shoot.

Yep - I completely understand. I will either spring for a pro calibration, or borrow a meter and SW from a tech at work (I work for a video equipment company).
Copying the "Pro" settings from someone else *NEVER* works. I've proven that many times smile.gif

Last night I played around with the basic settings on my M471i-A02 using the following AVS Forum Test Patterns played from my Apple TV:

1-Black Clipping.mp4
2-APL Clipping.mp4
3-White Clipping.mp4
4-Flashing Color Bars.mp4
5-Sharpness & Overscan.mp4

I was able to use the Color Tuner menu to turn on only the BLUE primary when using the flashing bars pattern to set color saturation and tint - which made it very easy.
I started with the "Calibrated" mode on the TV and performed the following sequence of adjustments:

Started with these settings:
Picture Mode = Calibrated
Auto Brightness Control = OFF
Backlight = 80 (BL was arrived at after many iterations - my room is pretty bright - 80 works best for me)
---
Color Temp = NORMAL
Black Detail = OFF
Smart Dimming = OFF (I hate Smart Dimming on the M471i - puts horizontal "glare" across the picture on dark scenes)
Noise Filters = OFF
Film Mode = AUTO
---
Then performed this sequence:
  1. Adjusted Brightness using the 'Black Clipping' and 'APL Clipping' patterns (Brightness = 60)
  2. Adjusted Contrast using the 'White Clipping' and 'APL Clipping' patterns (Contrast = 68)
  3. Adjusted Sharpness using the sharpness/overscan pattern (Sharpness = 5, anything higher started creating outlines/halos)
  4. Adjusted Color using 'Flashing Bars' pattern and by turning only BLUE on in Color Tuner menu. (Color was perfect at 40)
  5. Adjusted Tint using 'Flashing Bars' pattern (Tint of -3 was perfect)

The biggest surprises were COLOR and SHARP settings. Anything above 5 on sharpness started to cause outlines on the test pattern.
COLOR in the low 40's really helped skin tones look more natural and prevented extreme over saturation on shows like 'The Voice'.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - M471i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page