which LED TV to buy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-03-2014, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi ppl,

I am in search for a TV and have come across 3 TV's which I am interested in.

The first one is Philips 47PFL6008 or the lesser model but 50" 50PFL5008H.  These are nearly the same price.

Than there is the Samsung 46F6500 than the Panasonic TX-L47ET60E which comes in 50" as well.  

Panasonic are the cheapest of these 3.

Is there anyone that can give me an informed idea of which one might be the best?

My idea is that I want a 50" but while shopping around I found 47" with better quality than 50" that cost the same and now i am mixed up.

Don't know if this is the correct place to post this thread, if not please move it to the appropriate seciton

Thanks

Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-04-2014, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

anyone suggestions pls??

post #3 of 6 Old 02-04-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulmine View Post

anyone suggestions pls??

I don't know anything about those tv's you posted.  I just recently purchased a Vizio 601d-a3r and I love it.  I used to have a Samsung Plasma and could not stand the glare on the screen.  Saw a good deal on the Vizio and lots of great reviews.  I went to my local Costco and the Vizio even looked better than the tv's around it.  Peoples skin had way more detail and the colors were more natural.  Could have been the settings on the other tv's but I went with the Vizio and I'm super happy.

Not sure if this helps you at all but if I were you I'd take a look at the M-Series Vizio's before you buy.  

Good luck. 

post #4 of 6 Old 02-04-2014, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mate i will certainly look at the Vizio brand but i don't know if they are sold in my country.

Just read that philips will stop producing TV's as they are focusing on other markets than consumer electronics so this puts me away from the philips Tv's.

post #5 of 6 Old 02-07-2014, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulmine View Post

Thanks mate i will certainly look at the Vizio brand but i don't know if they are sold in my country.

Just read that philips will stop producing TV's as they are focusing on other markets than consumer electronics so this puts me away from the philips Tv's.

Tom Lo, DIGITIMES Research, Taipei [Friday 13 December 2013]
TPV Technology, Foxconn Electronics, Compal Electronics, Wistron, Amtran Technology and Pegatron will ship 35.95 million OEM/ODM LCD TVs in 2014, increasing 5.3% on year and accounting for 16.9% of global shipments, according to Digitimes Research.

TPV will ship 16.85 million LCD TVs with Philips and Vizio to be major clients, followed by Foxconn with 7.2 million units and Sony to be the major client, Compal with 4.3 million units mainly to Toshiba, Wistron with 3.6 million units mainly to Vizio, Amtran with two million units mainly to Sharp and Vizio, and Pegatron with 1.2 million units mainly to Toshiba, Digitimes Research indicated.

This article is an excerpt from a Chinese-language Digitimes Research report.
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20131213PD200.html

Quote:
In March 2012 Philips announced its intention to sell, or demerge its television manufacturing operations to TPV Technology.
On 29 January 2013 it was announced that Philips had agreed to sell its audio and video operations to the Japan-based Funai Electric for €150 million, with the audio business planned to transfer to Funai in the latter half of 2013, and the video business in 2017. As part of the transaction Funai will pay a regular licensing fee to Philips for the use of the Philips brand.] The purchase agreement was terminated by Philips in October because of breach of contract
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philips#2001_to_2011

Prior to this recent arrangement AFAIK Phillips TV's have been outsourced by Phillips to Funai Electric, Japan and maybe Amtran in the E.U. Phillips AFAIK hasn't actually made any or at least very many TV's for some years now.
.Nothing new outsourcing and consolidation has been going on in the TV business since the 50's domestically in the US and offshore starting in the late 60's or early 70's just more and more so lately with the major Japan brands outsourcing or like the US and EU brands eventually being sold outright to holding companies or other companies and being manufactured in Taiwan at first and now China with the larger sets being assembled in Mexico for the US and eastern Europe for the EU from mostly Chinese parts.
Quote:
As of 2012, Vizio has over 400 employees. About half work at its headquarters in Irvine, California, in engineering, design, sales, and operations, while the other half are employed at a call center in Dakota Dunes, South Dakota.

Vizio's major partner in the consumer electronics arena is AmTran Technology, a Taiwan-based OEM/ODM that manufactures more than half of the televisions sold by Vizio and owns a 23% stake in the company Vizio also manufactures its products in Mexico and China under agreements with ODM assemblers in those countries
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vizio#History
Now add TPV and Wistron to the Visio family .

No worries one of My TV's is a 2012 Toshiba 32" (Compal mfr. ) with a Samsung Panel funny thing is it had a better picture than all the similar LG,Visio and Samsung sets next to it at the store in 2012 although the Samsung was very (splitting hairs ) close Cnet came to the same conclusion .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #6 of 6 Old 02-07-2014, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 388
I'm shopping for a new not real expensive 40 ~46" bedroom set . I don't need 3D or necessarily WI FI. I have a ROKU and PS3. but picture quality is important .
I also have a large fairly new Plasma so I'm a believer as long as the room isn't too bright or reflective so no need to beat that horse .

So far I liked the Sony,Samsung and Panasonic pictures the best of all the sets at least that I have seen so far ,Insignia ,LG,Visio ,RCA ,non - Quatron Sharp and some others in the price range ) I thought those 3 were better than the the 2013 or the new 2014 similar price Visio E series also .

I Haven't seen the 2014 Visio M series yet AFAIK they are not in stores yet OTOH neither are the other brands 2014 sets . I Haven't seen the 2013 Toshiba sets
except for a real expensive 58" and some kind of big 4K Toshiba ofc they had good pictures.

Right now as it stands today my three nearly equal picks for a reasonable 2013 ~ 50" or under LED/LCD set would be Sony,Samsung and Panasonic.

I will try to take a second look at the 2014 E series Visio sets under some better conditions than Wall Mart if they are available perhaps at Costco or Best buy.
I will see which one I get next week.

EDIT/update I ordered a Sony KDL R450A

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ue46f6500 Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page