Vizio M801d-A3 vs Sharp lc-80le857u - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-06-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TV will be multi-pupose, theater room for movies (dark walls, flat finish, no light), sports (mainly football) with all lights on / outside light coming in, and generaly lounge TV watching, with again, all lights on / outside light. Also light gaming will happen on it (hopefully more in the next coming months).

3D is not too big of a deal to me, but it'd be nice to play with, so either set will do there I guess. Large viewing parties could happen, so cheaper glasses the better.

No wallmount, will be on a TV stand / some sort of platform.

TV sound doesn't matter, it'll be hooked into a 11.2 surround system

TV watching is DirecTV, movies are all blu ray rips.

Apps aren't too important, but nice to have. I have an xBox one there, so I can use those apps, but always nice not having to switch devices.

Price from what I'm seeing is around the same, varying from 3500 to 4k or so, for both.

So, it boils down really to picture quality and the ability to output colors in a lighted environment.

What do you guys think would be better for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-07-2014, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

any recommendations?
post #3 of 13 Old 02-07-2014, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have no technical opinion but from a purchase standpoint: depending on your motivation you should look into the 2014 models in that price range. Features for the $$$ may factor into your decision vs buying right now.
You'll get both sides of each tvs opinions/detractors/supporters here. I think they are equally matched. For me it'd come down to price and comfort of the place buying from. I'm waiting for more 2014 models to release and be reviewed before I buy. Good luck.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-07-2014, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

I am willing to potentially wait for the 2014 models, but it sounds like everything is going 4k, and an 80+" 4k TV is out of my price goal smile.gif

I'm goign from a 104" 2.35:1 screen, so I don't want to go any lower than 80".
post #5 of 13 Old 02-10-2014, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Can anyone give any input on the direct comparison between these two models, and/or if there are any new 2014 80"+ models coming out for around the 4k dollar mark?
post #6 of 13 Old 02-20-2014, 12:57 PM

Liked: 11
I had two LC-80LE857U's, each defective (one would flash a white line across the screen, the other had dead pixels).. Its a nice looking set, but the problems were enough to steer me in another direction. looking into the M801d-A3 myself.. or waiting for the new 2014 Vizio 80
post #7 of 13 Old 02-20-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up going with a 110" HP Da-Lite screen to come down overtop my current screen when I want to watch with teh lights on, so far I like the results, but it's only been 20 minutes of viewing and not mounted correctly smile.gif
post #8 of 13 Old 03-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Sorry I see you got a different model all together

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
post #9 of 13 Old 06-02-2014, 05:32 AM

I think this discussion is still a valid one. The 80 inch 2014 models are in a completely different price range, or not yet released (depending on manufacturer). I'd rather get last years model if I'm going to have to stick with edge lit. Because who the hell knows when Vizio is going to release their FALD 80 inch?

You have the 2013 Sharp that is around $2,750. And the 2014 re-released Vizio that is around $3,200. ~400-500 dollars difference in price is pretty big right now. Both are edge lit. I don't care about 3D. I believe the Vizio has more built in apps, which is nice. But the main thing here is the picture quality for me.... Can anyone shed some light onto what one is personally better for them? Is a Sharp brand going to give me a better picture for cheaper? Or am I better off with the more expensive Vizio, that seems to have more technology for 2D?
post #10 of 13 Old 06-02-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by madagent View Post

I think this discussion is still a valid one. The 80 inch 2014 models are in a completely different price range, or not yet released (depending on manufacturer). I'd rather get last years model if I'm going to have to stick with edge lit. Because who the hell knows when Vizio is going to release their FALD 80 inch?

You have the 2013 Sharp that is around $2,750. And the 2014 re-released Vizio that is around $3,200. ~400-500 dollars difference in price is pretty big right now. Both are edge lit. I don't care about 3D. I believe the Vizio has more built in apps, which is nice. But the main thing here is the picture quality for me.... Can anyone shed some light onto what one is personally better for them? Is a Sharp brand going to give me a better picture for cheaper? Or am I better off with the more expensive Vizio, that seems to have more technology for 2D?

Some places still have last year's Vizio which has everything the new one does plus 3D for about $2,999, so the price difference and feature comparison is a lot closer.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-02-2014, 08:48 AM

Yeah, I see last years on Amazon.com for cheap too. But the Sharp is still cheaper from last year. So I'm wondering which one would have the better picture quality. I'm under the impression that the Vizio from last year and the 2014 redo are the same picture quality?
post #12 of 13 Old 06-02-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by madagent View Post

Yeah, I see last years on Amazon.com for cheap too. But the Sharp is still cheaper from last year. So I'm wondering which one would have the better picture quality. I'm under the impression that the Vizio from last year and the 2014 redo are the same picture quality?

Having not compared them side-by-side personally, the consensus is that there is no PQ difference between the 2013 and 2014 Samsung M 80". Most people believe it is the same panel used for the non-3D version in 2013.

PQ between the 2013/14 80" M-series and the Sharp is generally comparable. Some say one is better, some say the Vizio is better. Sharp has active 3D, Vizio has passive (which I personally prefer but it is half the scan lines). I believe Vizio has a higher refresh rate (off the top of my head). Vizio's remote is universally panned and the source of much frustration -- plan to possibly not use it. Vizio ships with an older firmware and there is no means to pull the update it other than the wait (up to months) for Vizio's servers to auto-update it. Sharp has a bad rep for inconsistent panel quality control -- many reviews of people returning 2 sets before getting one they would accept. Vizio has a better rep for customer service but both brands have their horror stories.

Personally I would lean toward the 2013 M-series if I was to get one of these two primarily because I hate Active 3D and have enjoyed Passive 3D on another set, and because I am biased against the panel quality control and customer service rep of Sharp. That said, it's worth noting that the worst TV I have ever owned was a 2012 Vizio and my wife think's I'm crazy to consider that brand again.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-02-2014, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I've got the M801d and have been very pleased with it. Apparently I'm lucky because I've got a six year old Vizio plasma which is also a very good set and I didn't have problems with the M801d remote even before the firmware update which enabled wifi with the remote (may have to do with the fact I'm using a glass shelf stand rather than a wall mount). Most people who have had problems with the remote have found the Harmony remote to work well with the set. If you're thinking about buying it, you might want to act while it's still available at $3k (Amazon, Dell, Sam's Club, and Costco). The 5 year Squaretrade through Costco warranty for $100 is hard to beat.
--Sclaws likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv , Sharp He Lc 80le857u 80 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 80le857u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page