white speckles on sharp 650u series tv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-10-2014, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am at sales associate at a local retail outlet. We have the Sharp 650u series on display. There seems to be a problem with it. On bright white screen for instance on bright scenes white dot show up around the edging and toward the center of the TV. I have attached a picture to see to let you see what I'm talking about. What could this be. it appears on the 70 inch and 60 inch models

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-10-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 70
A number of people, myself included, have reported what we call the "dreaded white spots" on our Vizio E701i-A3 TVs. Even though it's a bit difficult to show the white spots due to moire pattern in photos, what you report here looks identical to the "dreaded white spots". They show up best on light gray, near white screens and are usually not apparent with common viewing material. Perhaps these TVs use the same LCD panels. I don't think anyone here has direct information on what the actual cause is, but I see clear areas when I look at them closely causing me to suspect these are defects in a light diffusion coating on the back of the panel. They do appear to become larger and more numerous over several months and Vizio has replaced these TVs under warranty. You should contact Sharp. The spots are not going to go away and these TVs are defective. Here's a photo of a small section of my screen showing some of the spots. I probably have 15-20 scattered in two areas. Does this look similar to your issue?

post #3 of 10 Old 02-10-2014, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

I've actually already contacted sharp and they kind of gave me the runaround. They asked me to send pictures to a specific email and i couldn't get any clear pictures to send them because I did not have a smartphone at the time. However, they did not act like this with a known issue.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-10-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Vizio initially had the same reaction and they still ask for photos. I think your photos are clear enough excepting perhaps the severe moire in the second photo. They are hard to photograph, but I think you've shown it pretty well.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-10-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

yes, that picture looks exactly like it!
post #6 of 10 Old 02-10-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, you are not alone. Look here under recent posts by Sammy Woodward, Scott Oehmke and Lynn Stoddard. Dig down further and you will find more.

https://www.facebook.com/SharpAQUOS

This one is disturbing....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3818074946993&set=p.3818074946993&type=1&theater

And worse yet on a replacement TV:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202647230136310&set=o.46748195931&type=1&theater

post #7 of 10 Old 02-10-2014, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Whats interesting is it does not occur on the 757 series.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-10-2014, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm can't keep straight who makes what panel for whom, but my guess is the Sharp 70" 650 and Vizio's E-series 70" are the same source.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-11-2014, 06:36 PM

I just picked up a 70" sharp aquos and am seeing the same specks. i am assuming this can be swapped under warrenty.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-11-2014, 03:54 PM

Well, my 640, which I have had a year, developed these white spots on the screen on light or gray scenes, lower left quadrant. Costco turned me over to Sharp and after sending images of the screen, they are sending out a refurbished set. It will be reinstalled on the wall and all packing hauled away. They were very helpful. A bit concerned about the refurbished set, but they said if I am unhappy with it on arrival they will take it back. Hope this all works out. Costco covers the first 90 days, you can return it for almost any reason. After 90 days the manufacturers, Sharp, coverage begins and lasts for one year after the Costco 90 days. After the one year of Sharps warranty Costco cover the remaining period up to two years. I bought Square Trade for $59.00 for another 3 yrs after that. If there is any problem with the refurbished set after Sharps warranty ends, about 80 days, Costco will cover any problem and fix or replace the set. I hope that won't be necessary
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Lc 60le650u 60 Inch Aquos Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page