Agonizing over Sony LED W900A vs. Samsung Plasma F8500 vs. Samsung LED 8000 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Agonizing over Sony LED W900A vs. Samsung Plasma F8500 vs. Samsung LED 8000
skidawgz's Avatar skidawgz 08:39 AM 07-25-2014
Sony is my favorite LCD TV by far. The F8500 is very obviously the better TV as far as picture quality. I purchased its competition in January and I'd do it again over any 4K that size. Without fueling more LED vs. Plasma flames I will point out something about 4K.

4K has been around for a year or two at affordable prices. The HDMI 2.0 changes and all the talk about color space and frame rate will translate to many many changes year over year. You cannot buy a piece of tech and really think that you've future proofed yourself. The F8500 excels in areas that the X9xx cannot and.... the X9xx has higher resolution and a brighter picture. For the little bit of humming you may hear when muted, it has better off angle viewing, black levels and motion.

Do you plan to buy the Sony media box and keep purchasing 4K content? Do you have Netflix for 4k? If you are just watching regular cable I believe you are only fooling yourself thinking 4K resolution matters. 4K, curves and 3D seem to be most impressive at 75"+ TV sets.

ParityBit's Avatar ParityBit 08:50 AM 07-25-2014
I see your points. Does a straight up 1080p picture (sports/games) look better upscaled on a 4K TV or a plasma? I am ruling out normal LEDs.
skidawgz's Avatar skidawgz 01:53 PM 07-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParityBit View Post
I see your points. Does a straight up 1080p picture (sports/games) look better upscaled on a 4K TV or a plasma? I am ruling out normal LEDs.
compressed content (such as satellite and cable) that I have seen look nothing special after upscaling. BluRay discs do seem to show more detail when upscaled. Not a drastic difference, but these are just my personal observations. If you swing by best buy and see a 4K playing non-4K content it looks like any other 1080P TV. I can't really quantify it, but it is my theory that compressed content looks the same on a 4K display.

Sports and games almost always look better on a plasma. I'd not make this argument for a very basic plasma set, but the F8500 is one of best TVs ever produced, to this point.

edit: (just noticed this post...)
Quote:
This has been a great read. I too amd running though all this in my head .... and outside. Which is why I think my wife may divorce me if I do not decide soon.

We went to Magnolias at Best Buy and the TV was .... dim compared to the 4K TV's. That really turned her off when it came to the F8500. Everywhere I read though, it is bright!

I play lots of console games and watch lots of sports. She watches movies. We are going from a 46 inch Samsung LED (2007 circa) to ... well whatever we get! I have never owned a plasma, and I too am concerned about the IR, because of the games and sports tickers.
Those 3 things have plasma written all over them (no IR pun intended) haha.
IR is over-stressed and non-permanent. Don't watch your TV in torch mode.
Find the 51" F8500 at your best buy, see if it is in one of the enclosed rooms. Set that and another nearby set to Movie setting and see if you think it is still dim. At my local store, you can watch the same movie split on several sets.
ParityBit's Avatar ParityBit 05:38 AM 07-26-2014
Thanks Skidawgz. I ended up at another Magnolias and the F8500 looked much brighter and great picture. Even with crappy content.

I left and now wait until Tuesday to get it! Any advice on how to set things up? I picked up Disney WOW to calibrate. I will use either my PS4 or XboxOne as the player. Since this is my first (and last) plasma, I am new to it!
skidawgz's Avatar skidawgz 06:28 AM 07-26-2014
Quote:
Thanks Skidawgz. I ended up at another Magnolias and the F8500 looked much brighter and great picture. Even with crappy content.

I left and now wait until Tuesday to get it! Any advice on how to set things up? I picked up Disney WOW to calibrate. I will use either my PS4 or XboxOne as the player. Since this is my first (and last) plasma, I am new to it!
Congrats and enjoy it! Don't use dynamic as a setting. If you feel you made a mistake, you can always return it. I don't think you'll feel that way personally. Once your eyes adjust you will appreciate the natural looking picture.

I left my TV on Standard and ran HBO HD for a few days (when not using the TV) and ran some of the color slides. HBO because it does not throw the logo on everything.
Tags: Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
First ... 2  3  4

Up
Mobile  Desktop