Does Your LCD Flat Panel TV Collect Dust And Have You Stopped It Somehow? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-18-2014, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
falconhawke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13

So, I am replacing a large 61" Sony XBR RPTV, with a very highly reflective surface that NEVER attracted dust ever, with a flat panel LCD, most likely a 65" Sony XBR 900A UHDTV, to be wall mounted. ( I am considering a few other televisions also, but the 2013 XBRs are the top of my short list). Apparently, I never knew how good I had it TV dust-wise, until a few days ago.

 

At the moment I am renting a 2013 60" Vizio E series for a couple of months, sitting on a low temporary table at the end of my family room, often filled with people and pets, in a house with central air heat on some ranch acreage, and volcanic type soil outside. It is, with kids and dogs and some ranch animals, a dusty place for sure especially in the summer.

 

Sunday afternoon, home alone cleaning up project audio/video cables and connectors and stuff with music playing, some sunlight cut through the grey clouds and hit the turned off rented Vizio from the side window. And then, I saw an absolutely amazing layer of dust and dog hair clinging to the front panel and bezel and stand of the Vizio, after about three weeks sitting there with dogs playing front of it and people in and out, that was cleaned by me when it was delivered. Needless to say, I cleaned it again.

 

My Sony and it's absolute mirror RPTV front screen never did this. At all. Other flat TVs in my home, all Samsungs, do collect some dust, but this was amazing. So now I am thinking of ways to enclose any new TV in cabinetry when not using it. Maybe. Or, banning the dogs and even better, the kids (teens) from the family room. Or the house, at least the kids. :rolleyes:

 

I'm not a clean freak, and it's a dirty world, but it was a lot of dust in a fairly short amount of time. So I'm wondering, anyone else deal with flat panel TV dust much, and does anyone know of ways to minimize it's attraction to the TV? Why was my RPTV dust free, but the edge-lit Vizio flat a dust magnet? What about dust inside the hard to access LCD interiors? Are other brands than Vizios dust magnets, or dust repellers from some manufacturers with negative charge units or something? Electricity has to be involved somehow I suspect, so if anyone has dealt with this dusty problem I would welcome some suggestions to keep my new LCD as clean and dust free as my old RPTV, if possible. Thanks for any ideas. May the dust be not with you.

falconhawke is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 02-18-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wtfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
You could place a cloth cover over it, for times you are away for long periods of time?
wtfer is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 02-18-2014, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
falconhawke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

You could place a cloth cover over it, for times you are away for long periods of time?

That's a good idea, a Ghost TV. 

 

Still, I am hoping to find ways to have the dust in the air fly away from the panel to begin with, when I am around, which is way too much.

 

Thanks for that, simple and neat while on vacation anyway.

falconhawke is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 02-18-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wtfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Ever try one of those HEPA Air Purifiers?
They supposedly collect dust from the air among other things.

The really good ones that can cover a large home go over 2 grand. The sub $100 I'm not so sure about. They might still pick up some dust if you place one near the TV.
wtfer is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 02-18-2014, 10:23 PM
Senior Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
i ALWAYS keep a bed sheet over my tv when im not using it, its mostly to stop the cats from jumping up on the tv stand and scratching at the tv (my cat did that to my first plasma a few years back), but the tv stays incredibly clean because of it. i seriously maybe have to clean my screen maybe once or twice a year. i use a bed sheet because 1. the tv is so big and 2. the bed sheet has the elastic thingies so it helps it drape over the tv.

TV; samsung 65F7100
AVR: Sony 7.2 1040
Blu Ray: Oppo 103D
ray0414 is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 02-19-2014, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
falconhawke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

Ever try one of those HEPA Air Purifiers?
They supposedly collect dust from the air among other things.

The really good ones that can cover a large home go over 2 grand. The sub $100 I'm not so sure about. They might still pick up some dust if you place one near the TV.

No, I haven't. I'll check them out. We have a paper filter on our furnace that we replace every few months, but the thought of a small HEPA near the TV is something to look into. 

I am mostly hoping somehow to get the TV to become a dust repeller itself, more like the RPTV was, or maybe at least learn why a flat LCD is a dust attractor when a big RPTV screen that was just a few feet away collected next to nothing.

Thanks.

falconhawke is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 02-19-2014, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
falconhawke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post

i ALWAYS keep a bed sheet over my tv when im not using it, its mostly to stop the cats from jumping up on the tv stand and scratching at the tv (my cat did that to my first plasma a few years back), but the tv stays incredibly clean because of it. i seriously maybe have to clean my screen maybe once or twice a year. i use a bed sheet because 1. the tv is so big and 2. the bed sheet has the elastic thingies so it helps it drape over the tv.

Is your current TV a plasma? Does it seem to attract excess dust at all? I wonder if there is a difference in dust attraction between plasmas and LCDs?

 

I may end up using a sheet or something like it, but this TV will be used very frequently, not only by me usually at night or sometimes on weekends, but by my family too, so much of the time it will be uncovered. My wife might not like a big sheet hanging in her family room either, so maybe that won't be the answer, don't know yet.

 

Maybe someone understands the attraction physics of TV dust and knows of some anti-dust treatment safe to use on LCDs? 

falconhawke is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 02-19-2014, 08:45 AM
Senior Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconhawke View Post

Is your current TV a plasma? Does it seem to attract excess dust at all? I wonder if there is a difference in dust attraction between plasmas and LCDs?

I may end up using a sheet or something like it, but this TV will be used very frequently, not only by me usually at night or sometimes on weekends, but by my family too, so much of the time it will be uncovered. My wife might not like a big sheet hanging in her family room either, so maybe that won't be the answer, don't know yet.

Maybe someone understands the attraction physics of TV dust and knows of some anti-dust treatment safe to use on LCDs? 

i just got 65f7100 2 weeks ago, before that had a sharp LCD and before that my plasma. im thinking about upgrading my sheet to something newer lol

videobruce likes this.

TV; samsung 65F7100
AVR: Sony 7.2 1040
Blu Ray: Oppo 103D
ray0414 is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 02-19-2014, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
falconhawke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post


i just got 65f7100 2 weeks ago, before that had a sharp LCD and before that my plasma. im thinking about upgrading my sheet to something newer lol

Man that is some spiffy sheet!!!

 

But now that it's on the TV, what's your dog sleeping on?...:-)

falconhawke is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 02-19-2014, 10:58 AM
Senior Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
no dogs just cats lol thats been my tv sheet now for over 3 years lol

TV; samsung 65F7100
AVR: Sony 7.2 1040
Blu Ray: Oppo 103D
ray0414 is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 02-19-2014, 12:55 PM
Member
 
SandstormGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have never used anything like this but my LCD picks up a decent amount of dust, even thought it is angled downward. I decided to Google what you are wanting and came across several products on Amazon that have great ratings, use at your own risk!

http://www.amazon.com/Endust-Electronics-Anti-Static-Screen-Cleaner/dp/B0002KXVM2/ref=pd_sim_e_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0EB68YS1ZCVGME5RRVK1

http://www.amazon.com/Endust-Plasma-Screen-Cleaner-11308/dp/B004M97H9W/ref=pd_sim_e_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0EB68YS1ZCVGME5RRVK1

Maybe someone else here has some experience with this products and can comment on how well they REPEL dust.
SandstormGT is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 02-19-2014, 02:06 PM
Senior Member
 
fritzi93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Our primary heat is a coal/wood burning insert in a huge stone hearth. Since we live in the northeast, it gets used hard. Especially this Winter! As you can imagine, burning coal means dust in the house, a good bit of dust. To keep the air inside from getting too dry, we keep a large pot of water simmering on the insert, and at least two gallons each day are put in to replenish.

We have 3 LCDs and one plasma, and never had your problem. We've never seen excessive dust on the screen itself. On all horizontal surfaces, yes.

I wonder if your problem is excessively dry air and static electricity.
fritzi93 is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 02-19-2014, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
falconhawke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandstormGT View Post

I have never used anything like this but my LCD picks up a decent amount of dust, even thought it is angled downward. I decided to Google what you are wanting and came across several products on Amazon that have great ratings, use at your own risk!

http://www.amazon.com/Endust-Electronics-Anti-Static-Screen-Cleaner/dp/B0002KXVM2/ref=pd_sim_e_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0EB68YS1ZCVGME5RRVK1

http://www.amazon.com/Endust-Plasma-Screen-Cleaner-11308/dp/B004M97H9W/ref=pd_sim_e_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0EB68YS1ZCVGME5RRVK1

Maybe someone else here has some experience with this products and can comment on how well they REPEL dust.

Thanks, I will check out these things you discovered, appreciate it. Maybe someone who has used one will see this thread. If I use something, I will report also.

falconhawke is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 02-19-2014, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
falconhawke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post

Our primary heat is a coal/wood burning insert in a huge stone hearth. Since we live in the northeast, it gets used hard. Especially this Winter! As you can imagine, burning coal means dust in the house, a good bit of dust. To keep the air inside from getting too dry, we keep a large pot of water simmering on the insert, and at least two gallons each day are put in to replenish.

We have 3 LCDs and one plasma, and never had your problem. We've never seen excessive dust on the screen itself. On all horizontal surfaces, yes.

I wonder if your problem is excessively dry air and static electricity.

I do live in a very low humidity area, and I am sure there is some static going on, but we never experience rug or carpet shocks in the house at all. Our family room is a wood floor with rugs in there. Again, the LCD is collecting the dust, the 61" Sony RPTV never did really at all, and it and the Vizio both have completely vertical screens. 

 

I am of course interested if there is something inherently dust attracting in an LCD TV, or Vizios in particular, or not, and it is simply my environment. Humidifying this house more would be kind of difficult.

 

But, as time goes on, that may be a path to look into. Thanks

falconhawke is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 08-28-2014, 11:11 PM
Newbie
 
glenn29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconhawke View Post
So, I am replacing a large 61" Sony XBR RPTV, with a very highly reflective surface that NEVER attracted dust ever, with a flat panel LCD, most likely a 65" Sony XBR 900A UHDTV, to be wall mounted. ( I am considering a few other televisions also, but the 2013 XBRs are the top of my short list). Apparently, I never knew how good I had it TV dust-wise, until a few days ago.
 
At the moment I am renting a 2013 60" Vizio E series for a couple of months, sitting on a low temporary table at the end of my family room, often filled with people and pets, in a house with central air heat on some ranch acreage, and volcanic type soil outside. It is, with kids and dogs and some ranch animals, a dusty place for sure especially in the summer.
 
Sunday afternoon, home alone cleaning up project audio/video cables and connectors and stuff with music playing, some sunlight cut through the grey clouds and hit the turned off rented Vizio from the side window. And then, I saw an absolutely amazing layer of dust and dog hair clinging to the front panel and bezel and stand of the Vizio, after about three weeks sitting there with dogs playing front of it and people in and out, that was cleaned by me when it was delivered. Needless to say, I cleaned it again.
 
My Sony and it's absolute mirror RPTV front screen never did this. At all. Other flat TVs in my home, all Samsungs, do collect some dust, but this was amazing. So now I am thinking of ways to enclose any new TV in cabinetry when not using it. Maybe. Or, banning the dogs and even better, the kids (teens) from the family room. Or the house, at least the kids. 
 
I'm not a clean freak, and it's a dirty world, but it was a lot of dust in a fairly short amount of time. So I'm wondering, anyone else deal with flat panel TV dust much, and does anyone know of ways to minimize it's attraction to the TV? Why was my RPTV dust free, but the edge-lit Vizio flat a dust magnet? What about dust inside the hard to access LCD interiors? Are other brands than Vizios dust magnets, or dust repellers from some manufacturers with negative charge units or something? Electricity has to be involved somehow I suspect, so if anyone has dealt with this dusty problem I would welcome some suggestions to keep my new LCD as clean and dust free as my old RPTV, if possible. Thanks for any ideas. May the dust be not with you.
I'm using a dust cover for my plasma TV to minimize dust cleaning. I slipped it on top of my display when my TV is not in use. Dust cover also is a preventive measure in protecting our TV from dust and moisture. There are available dust covers that are inexpensive and durable and looks good in your TV compared to plain cloth or plastic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monitor_Cover_Vinyl.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	234497  
videobruce likes this.

Glenn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
glenn29 is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 08-29-2014, 03:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 15,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 143
glenn29;
Nice idea, but do they have anything for a full size panel 50" and up?

ray0414;
I think Amazon has some real nice designer bed sheets.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
videobruce is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 55x900a by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off