Sharp LC70UQ17U - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 02-22-2014, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Any one have information when this set will available? I notice the Sharp LC70 SQ15U is available...Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-23-2014, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 32
No one knows for sure but best guess is maybe by end of march.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-04-2014, 02:58 PM

Liked: 10

Hey Captbill, you could check out Varoujappliances.com, they have very good deals on TVs , they have the model # you mentioned; however, not in stock but they will receive it by end of this month maybe earlier, I am waiting for one also

post #4 of 22 Old 03-06-2014, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 15
OK Greg91, will put them on the list..I'm waiting to see one in the flesh.....Thanks, Bill
post #5 of 22 Old 03-16-2014, 09:51 AM

Bump.

Looking at this for my next TV.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-29-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hraesvelg View Post

Bump.

Looking at this for my next TV.

This is now my next TV. Time to crack out on some blu-rays and test it out. smile.gif
post #7 of 22 Old 03-29-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Saw this model at Fry's and Magnolia the other day. I gather you bought one. Let us know what you think. I decided to wait a while.
post #8 of 22 Old 04-03-2014, 06:23 PM

I was hoping someone had some info about this TV. A couple of weeks ago my 70 inch got a dark spot on the screen and I called sharp thinking they were just going to tell me to take it to a repair shop but they told me to take pics and they called me back a day later saying that because I had 2 more months left on my year warranty they were going to authorize an exchange for another tv. All I had to do is call Pauls tv and they had no more of my model left seeing it was a 2013 so the guy said that this TV the LC70UQ17U was the newest and by far more superior then my model so all I had to do was pay for the taxes which was only about 200 and I will be getting this TV tomorrow, but wanted to hear some peoples reviews about this. It looked amazing in the store, and he told me it was 4k so I am pretty excited about that smile.gif
post #9 of 22 Old 05-01-2014, 02:31 AM

While I was browsing the TVs on display at Best Buy, this Sharp LC70UQ17 stood out to me as having the best picture of all the 1080 units they have on display right now (again, this is not counting the the 4k TVs). I was really impressed with how 3-dimensional the picture is. The price is more than I want to spend.... But Wow the PQ makes me want to reach for my wallet. I asked a BB associate to turn off the soap opera effect for me, but he failed to find a remote control that would control the TV frown.gif
post #10 of 22 Old 05-01-2014, 02:36 AM

@queequeeg The LC-70UQ17U is not 4k resolution. It is 4k "compatible" in that it will play 4k content, but it down-samples the signal to the display's native resolution of 1920x1080.
post #11 of 22 Old 05-27-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacProCT View Post

@queequeeg The LC-70UQ17U is not 4k resolution. It is 4k "compatible" in that it will play 4k content, but it down-samples the signal to the display's native resolution of 1920x1080.

Can someone in the "know" explain this to me...?

A 4K TV has 8 million pixels...

However, the Q+ states that it has 6 million pixels and 16 million sub-pixels...

So are 8 million pixels better than 6 million pixels with 16 million sub-pixels?

:confused:

post #12 of 22 Old 05-27-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

Can someone in the "know" explain this to me...?

A 4K TV has 8 million pixels...

However, the Q+ states that it has 6 million pixels and 16 million sub-pixels...

So are 8 million pixels better than 6 million pixels with 16 million sub-pixels?

confused.gif

I think it's mostly just marketing-speak. Bottom line is the SQ and UQ accept HDMI 2.0 content (though not HVEC content from 4K streaming providers) but immediately down-convert it to 2K (1920x1080P). So anything that they then do to take advantage of their "sub-pixels" does not preserve the original 4K pixel integrity. So I would take 8 million REAL pixels with the ability to map 1-to-1 with 4K data over a billion "sub-pixels" any day. Assuming you care about 4K. If you don't, the best way to think about these sets is just as standard 1080P panels and evaluate them against their competition on the other measurable categories.
post #13 of 22 Old 05-27-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

I think it's mostly just marketing-speak. Bottom line is the SQ and UQ accept HDMI 2.0 content (though not HVEC content from 4K streaming providers) but immediately down-convert it to 2K (1920x1080P). So anything that they then do to take advantage of their "sub-pixels" does not preserve the original 4K pixel integrity. So I would take 8 million REAL pixels with the ability to map 1-to-1 with 4K data over a billion "sub-pixels" any day. Assuming you care about 4K. If you don't, the best way to think about these sets is just as standard 1080P panels and evaluate them against their competition on the other measurable categories.

But that's just it...

They aren't "just the standard 1080p panels"...

Standard 1080p panels just have 6 million pixels - they do not have the extra 16 million sub-pixels...

:confused:

post #14 of 22 Old 05-27-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

But that's just it...

Standard 1080p panels just have 6 million pixels - they do not have the extra 16 million sub-pixels...

confused.gif

I don't know about the 'downconversion of 4K to 1080p and then upconversion to 4K' thing. That has been stated in a review and so far there has not been any confirmation of the source nor the truth in this statement (which would be unbelievably brain-dead, if true).

In the worst-case, you can consider the SQ/UQ panels to be 1080p with reduced screen door (SDE).

In the best-case, they are able to display true 4:2:2 4K content (but not true 4:4:4 4K content, since there are only two red and two blue subpixels for every true 1080p pixel, meaning every four 4K pixels).
post #15 of 22 Old 05-28-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But that's just it...

confused.gif

Yeah, but what is a "sub-pixel" exactly. I have read all the comments here and summary from Sharp and it's still not apparent that you should treat that as comparable to a real pixel. When you view the panel up-close, playing a 4K loop, side-by-side with a 1080P panel and a 4K panel, a pixel density comparable to 1080P is apparent, not a density comparable to the 4K panel A pixel is a pixel. It they had 16 million pixels I guarantee you they wouldn't be marketing them as "sub-pixels."

Also, they could have a billion pixels but they are still dealing with only 6 million pixels of information since they down-convert the 4K content before displaying it. So whatever processing is done for their so-called "sub-pixels" is still ultimately extrapolating 1080P of information.

Ultimately for most people the right panel is a subjective decision. If you see the SQ or UQ and think it looks fantastic, none of the rest of this matters. For others who have seen and reviewed it, they have said it looks and performs like a decent but not the best 1080P panel.
post #16 of 22 Old 05-28-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

I don't know about the 'downconversion of 4K to 1080p and then upconversion to 4K' thing. That has been stated in a review and so far there has not been any confirmation of the source nor the truth in this statement (which would be unbelievably brain-dead, if true).

In the worst-case, you can consider the SQ/UQ panels to be 1080p with reduced screen door (SDE).

In the best-case, they are able to display true 4:2:2 4K content (but not true 4:4:4 4K content, since there are only two red and two blue subpixels for every true 1080p pixel, meaning every four 4K pixels).

The reviewer is a trusted source at AVS and implied they had interviewed Sharp officials. Could they still be wrong, perhaps. But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until there is a factual counter point to look at. There certainly has been nothing so far from Sharp or any other expert that contradicts the assertion that it is down-converting.

As to whether it is "brain dead" for them to have done it, perhaps. It certainly takes the wind out of the sail of their "4K-lite" assertion. But without a better technical explanation of how the panels work, perhaps it was an inevitable compromise of their tech.

Also, since the Q+'s can't stream HVEC content I'm not convinced how useful they will be for 4K content anyway. I suspect in the short and medium term that will be the most practical source of 4K content beyond the demos people are getting off-off YouTube.
post #17 of 22 Old 05-29-2014, 10:50 AM

Just picked up the LC-70UQ17U, picture is out of this world for a non 4k.

I'm trying to maximize the potential of this bad boy and had a few questions, hoping some of you could help me out as I am def not a veteran when it comes to all this high tech stuff.

So, this TV has the ability to play 4k content which was a big selling point for me. Also, the TV has the ability to upscale HD content. I'm trying to decide what Blu-Ray player i'm going to purchase. I know there are some that upconvert to 4k (which my tv would be able to accept), and I'm just curious if this would give me a better picture than a regular blu-ray (which my tv would upscale anyhow). Would it be stupid to pay the extra dough for the upgraded blu-ray player that can upscale to 4k?

post #18 of 22 Old 05-29-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fo0isclay View Post

Just picked up the LC-70UQ17U, picture is out of this world for a non 4k.

I'm trying to maximize the potential of this bad boy and had a few questions, hoping some of you could help me out as I am def not a veteran when it comes to all this high tech stuff.

So, this TV has the ability to play 4k content which was a big selling point for me. Also, the TV has the ability to upscale HD content. I'm trying to decide what Blu-Ray player i'm going to purchase. I know there are some that upconvert to 4k (which my tv would be able to accept), and I'm just curious if this would give me a better picture than a regular blu-ray (which my tv would upscale anyhow). Would it be stupid to pay the extra dough for the upgraded blu-ray player that can upscale to 4k?

The answer will vary from blu-ray player to blu-ray player and TV to TV. It all depends which has the better scaler. For example, the very expensive Opps players many people here like are thought to have excellent scalers so for many TV's you would potentially see a better result letting those upscale you to 4K rather than letting your TV do it. Though some have said, for example, that the Sony's TV's scale as well or better than the Oppo players os in that case you'd be better off sending the native resolution and letting the TV do the work. You should just play around with it on your set and decide what looks better. In most cases, frankly, the results are subtle enough you probably wouldn't consider the difference worth a huge premium for the player. But if you are a videophile you may.

In the particularly case of your TV, assuming the information floating around here from the AVS Editor is correct, the TV actually down-coverts any 4K signal it receives to 1080P before applying whatever processing it does to use it's "sub-pixels" So if you have a blu-ray player up-convert your picture to 4K your content will get converted 3 times: 1080P -> 4K -> 1080P - Q+ resolution. I would generally guess that's not great. So I would likely plan on sending native resolution to the set and let it just up-convert once.
post #19 of 22 Old 05-29-2014, 12:18 PM

That makes a lot of sense, i appreciate the quick reply! I may try an experiment to see so I can reply back with results. Either way this TV rocks.

post #20 of 22 Old 05-29-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone have any comment on this critical review...?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1532833/sharp-lc-60uq17u-a-brief-critical-look

post #21 of 22 Old 05-30-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 998
Quote:

Anyone have any comment on this critical review...?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1532833/sharp-lc-60uq17u-a-brief-critical-look

In that piece, I reported what Tom Norton told me, that the UQ17 downconverts UHD to 1080p before displaying it. I just heard from Sharp that this is NOT true; it accepts UHD and displays it with somewhat less resolution than true UHD but more than 1080p. I regret having written that before fact checking it for myself. I will correct the original piece.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #22 of 22 Old 05-31-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 623
CNET just posted a new review of the 60" UQ late last week: http://www.cnet.com/products/sharp-lc-60uq17u/

They seemed to feel that the EQ was better value for the money eek.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Lc 70le632u Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page