Taking US HDTV to Europe, but don't care about broadcast/cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-09-2014, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi folks,

I am moving from the U.S. to Portugal soon, and am debating taking my HDTV with me.  

I'm one of those cable cutters.  I don't have cable or use an antenna on the unit here in the U.S.-- I have a computer plugged into it via HDMI and just stream stuff online (iTunes, Netflix, etc), so I am okay with not being able to access broadcast or cable signals in Europe.

I'm slightly confused about is the 50hz part, however.  The back of the unit says: "AC 120-240 50/60HZ", so I presume I can power the television without problems there.  But I also see the term "50hz" used when referring to the video signal.  I think this is talking about the refresh rate of the video signal, but was not sure if it was related to the power signal.  

Is my assumption correct in that the television can be plugged in without problems (assuming an adaptor on the plug), but is unable to accept European broadcast or cable signals?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-09-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 84

Yes from your description it sounds like you have a multi voltage TV, depending on the brand(lesser known brands tend to be more of a chance) it may even display 50hz(also sometimes called PAL) signal. It has almost a 0% chance it would be able to tune 50HZ OTA signal though, only from it's line inputs.

post #3 of 9 Old 03-09-2014, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info jjeff. Cheers.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-09-2014, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafebueno View Post

Enjoy the Portuguese music!
post #5 of 9 Old 03-09-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 55
You didn't provide a model number.....

You should check the manual to see if there is a SWITCH to change between nominal 120 VAC and 240 VAC input. If you don't set it correctly, the overvoltage could ruin the HDTV's power supply.

Unless the manual explicitly says it will accept 24/50 Hz "PAL-type" frame rate interface signals, don't expect it to work with local OTA & Cable Tuners unless they provide the ability to also output in one or more of the US compatible HD modes, such as 720/60p or 1080/30i(p). And bear in mind that you MAY or MAY NOT be able to get a fast Internet connection, depending on your location and whether in an Internet wired apartment complex....

Although written in response to queries from Australia and the U.K., the fol. post (and entire thread) may be of interest:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1390270/is-it-possible-to-bring-a-us-cdn-tv-to-australia-atsc-to-dvb-t#post_21559589
post #6 of 9 Old 03-10-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It's also likely that most of the US internet video content will be unavailable with an European IP address.
John
post #7 of 9 Old 03-10-2014, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdish View Post

It's also likely that most of the US internet video content will be unavailable with an European IP address.
John

Hey John,

I did some testing while I was there last time, and it looks like it worked pretty well via proxy or tunlr.  (Surprisingly well for no CDN!)  So I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will remain that way.

Cheers,

Alex

post #8 of 9 Old 03-10-2014, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Oy! It looks like tunlr has shut down.  So It looks like I'll have to build my own or use an alternative service.  Thanks for bringing this up!

post #9 of 9 Old 03-10-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

You didn't provide a model number.....

You should check the manual to see if there is a SWITCH to change between nominal 120 VAC and 240 VAC input. If you don't set it correctly, the overvoltage could ruin the HDTV's power supply.

Unless the manual explicitly says it will accept 24/50 Hz "PAL-type" frame rate interface signals, don't expect it to work with local OTA & Cable Tuners unless they provide the ability to also output in one or more of the US compatible HD modes, such as 720/60p or 1080/30i(p). And bear in mind that you MAY or MAY NOT be able to get a fast Internet connection, depending on your location and whether in an Internet wired apartment complex....

Although written in response to queries from Australia and the U.K., the fol. post (and entire thread) may be of interest:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1390270/is-it-possible-to-bring-a-us-cdn-tv-to-australia-atsc-to-dvb-t#post_21559589

Hi @holl_ands,

It is a Samsung LN46C630K1F.  There does not seem to be a switch anywhere I can see, but will check the manual to confirm.  I'm currently not expecting it to work with OTA/Cable.  

That being said, I'm getting some doubts based on the fact that I'd be completely relying on dns unblocking services for some content.  

Update: I'm on a live chat with someone at Samsung's website.  They're saying:

Quote:
Even though the label on the rear panel of the TV states that the TV supports 110-240V at 50/60Hz, it is strongly recommended by Samsung to use a power converter if the TV is taken out of the USA.

Sigh. Not sure if they're just trying to cover their ass or what, but now I'm not feeling so good about taking it.

Cheers,

Alex

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page