UN46F8000BFXZA sometimes passes DD 5.1 from HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-10-2014, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I purchased a the 46" F8000 in december and have been challenged to get the TV to pass Dolby Digital 5.1 out the Optical output to my Sonos PlayBar.

I've read lots of posts in these forums and others that say that TVs just don't pass DD 5.1 out the optical connection when using an HDMI source but that statement is simply not true for every TV or every HDMI source.

In my case I have an Xfinity model PR150BNM set-top box that is connected via HDMI1 on the TV and this box passes DD 5.1 to/through the TV all the time. This is confirmed in the Audio Output screen on the TV and by the diagnostic information I can get from my Sonos PlayBar.

I cannot get my Samsung BD-F5900 Bluray to pass Dolby to the TV on HDMI1, HDMI2 or HDMI3. I've tried all the combinations I can think of:

- Switching inputs and cables with the STB

- Cold booting everything after power off (physical power disconnect) to force the HDCP handshake

- All firmware updates on the TV and BR player

- All the settings in the Bluray player for audio output in the setup menu and in the disc info/tools while playing

It should be noted that I've connected the optical out on the Bluray directly to the PlayBar and do get Dolby output. I've also taken the Bluray player to work and connected it to a cheap Vizio TV and not so cheap Sony TV and both are able to pass Dolby out through the optical connection.

Since the TV passes Dolby from the HDMI connection of the STB, I know the TV is capable of it. Also I know from testing done at the office that the latest firmware on the XBox-1 allows it to pass Dolby to this TV via HDMI.

I wonder if there is a service menu on the Bluray player to lock in Dolby as the output format.

I could just settle for an optical switch, but I'd really rather Samsung fix its' firmware so that the HDCP handshake between their own Bluray and TV allow DD 5.1 to pass. 

How does one go about getting the ear of Samsung? It is kind of annoying to buy the "flagship" Samsung model, yet a Vizio or Sony would have provided better functionality.

I did open a support case with Samsung. Actually two. The first one was escalated to Tier 2 in the TV support area after some bouncing back and forth to the Bluray support group, but then the Tier2 guy never got back to me, nor followed up with the support case info, so that case just dropped. I opened a second case that was also escalated and I was told to wait 2-3 business days a week and a half ago. I'll follow up with Samsung, but the customer experience has been less than impressive so far.

The cynic in me expects a firmware update any day now that stops the Dolby output from the STB too!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-24-2014, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

This may be because your Blu Ray player is set to "PCM" and so it is decoding/uncompressing the audio to PCM. Make sure to set the Blu Ray player to "bitstream" with either the Secondary Audio or BD Audio Mix set to OFF.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page