Hisense Calibration Settings Anyone??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-10-2014, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Last weekend, Walmart had a one-time only offer on a 50" Hisense 50K23DG (1080P, 120 refresh rate, 3M to 1 contrast ratio) for $389. Picked it up and also grabbed a 4 year extended warranty.

Since December I have seen their 55" model the 55K20DG (same specs) on display at Sam's Club and was impressed with the picture as well the value to quality ratio for both sets.

Anyway, before anyone says calibration settings come down to personal choice.... I know, but I have always found it helpful to have a starting point to work from since I purchased my first flat panel 9 years ago.

So, does anyone have what they consider the "best settings" for this set or can you point me to a posting or provide a link where I can find this info?

Thank you!
kyle6683 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-10-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr852 View Post

Last weekend, Walmart had a one-time only offer on a 50" Hisense 50K23DG (1080P, 120 refresh rate, 3M to 1 contrast ratio) for $389. Picked it up and also grabbed a 4 year extended warranty.

Since December I have seen their 55" model the 55K20DG (same specs) on display at Sam's Club and was impressed with the picture as well the value to quality ratio for both sets.

Anyway, before anyone says calibration settings come down to personal choice.... I know, but I have always found it helpful to have a starting point to work from since I purchased my first flat panel 9 years ago.

So, does anyone have what they consider the "best settings" for this set or can you point me to a posting or provide a link where I can find this info?

Thank you!

You are not going to find many people that buy or own Hisense. They are budget tv's for the kids. Sorry maybe you will get lucky searching the net.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboard, V. Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #3 of 8 Old 03-10-2014, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Quote:

Thank you!

You are not going to find many people that buy or own Hisense. They are budget tv's for the kids. Sorry maybe you will get lucky searching the net.

If you use the search function here at AVS, you can probably quickly find out if there are any other Hisense owners on the forum (though I fear Latinoheat may be correct that you may not find many other Hisense owners here on the Forum).

Regardless of whether you are happy with the set or not or whether you decide to keep it or not, I would appreciate it if you would start a Hisense owner's thread (if there is not one already) and post a short review of what you think your new panel.

I don't know anything about Hisense so cannot comment if I support Latinoheat's comment about the brand being 'for kids' or not, but in any case, I am a big believer in remaining open to new things and Hisense showed some interesting TVs at this year's CES.

5 years from now, I have more confidence that Hisense will still be selling TVs into the US market than I have confidence that Sony or Panasonic will be, so I for one would be interested in your opinion of this brand and how you would rate the quality and performance of their low-end products today... (especially in comparison to the 2014 Vizio E-Series, which has an MSRP of $600 for 50")
post #4 of 8 Old 03-11-2014, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

If you use the search function here at AVS, you can probably quickly find out if there are any other Hisense owners on the forum (though I fear Latinoheat may be correct that you may not find many other Hisense owners here on the Forum).

Regardless of whether you are happy with the set or not or whether you decide to keep it or not, I would appreciate it if you would start a Hisense owner's thread (if there is not one already) and post a short review of what you think your new panel.

I don't know anything about Hisense so cannot comment if I support Latinoheat's comment about the brand being 'for kids' or not, but in any case, I am a big believer in remaining open to new things and Hisense showed some interesting TVs at this year's CES.

5 years from now, I have more confidence that Hisense will still be selling TVs into the US market than I have confidence that Sony or Panasonic will be, so I for one would be interested in your opinion of this brand and how you would rate the quality and performance of their low-end products today... (especially in comparison to the 2014 Vizio E-Series, which has an MSRP of $600 for 50")
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

I appreciate your response. With respect to Latinoheat's comment, I believe everyone has a right to their own opinion. That being said, I would respectfully disagree with his choice of words. Do I think the picture is as "strong" as my VIZIO M series or my Samsung... no, but this is not my primary tv. I personally don't feel the need to spend thousands of dollars as I did in my media room for my av equipment. Funny thing is that several years ago I purchased a Vizio and returned it the next day as I was not happy with the picture. Fast forward to my purchasing a 65" VIZIO M series two months ago and getting rave reviews from friends with respect to the picture quality (what a difference a few years can make).

Back to the Hisense... I am quite pleased with the quality of the picture. The color settings are not as precise as what I am use to, but I have no regrets. In other words, I can afford the extra $100 to $200 for a different brand but I feel it would be a waste of money (translation... I like what I am seeing). As a side note, I received a call yesterday from Hisense customer care asking how I like the tv (I never had Samsung, Panasonic, VIZIO or LG call me).
post #5 of 8 Old 03-26-2014, 04:04 PM

Liked: 10

Hey! I just bought this same tv (50K23DG by Hisense), in part because the box read "True 120 hz refresh rate".... but after goofing with the picture settings and reading the manual, I am beginning to think it's not an actual refresh rate, but just an effect. When I switched the tv on tonight (input set to bluray player if that makes a dif) and on the screen flashed something about 60Hz. So I started poking around and noticed the manual states, "120Hz Effect: Inserts frames to reduce judder in fast action scenes. You can select Off, Low and High. Only available in the models that support 120Hz." Now, if it were actually 120Hz refresh rate, wouldn't it actually be refreshing and not simply inserting additional frames? Sorry to bombard your thread with another issue, but this is the first discussion I have found with another owner of this model! Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

post #6 of 8 Old 03-26-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwil1 View Post

Hey! I just bought this same tv (50K23DG by Hisense), in part because the box read "True 120 hz refresh rate".... but after goofing with the picture settings and reading the manual, I am beginning to think it's not an actual refresh rate, but just an effect. When I switched the tv on tonight (input set to bluray player if that makes a dif) and on the screen flashed something about 60Hz. So I started poking around and noticed the manual states, "120Hz Effect: Inserts frames to reduce judder in fast action scenes. You can select Off, Low and High. Only available in the models that support 120Hz." Now, if it were actually 120Hz refresh rate, wouldn't it actually be refreshing and not simply inserting additional frames? Sorry to bombard your thread with another issue, but this is the first discussion I have found with another owner of this model! Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

60Hz content is the maximum frame rate you are going to get off of OTA broadcast TV. So going from 60fps content to 120Hz refresh can mean inserting a single frame through frame interpolation, or inserting a single black frame (which will result in a dimmer image), or repeating each frame twice.

I have no ides if this panel supports frame interpolation or not, nor any idea what Off, Low, Medium may translate to.

It sounds like you were using Blueray as the input, not OTA. Blueray is 24fps and there are various ways it can ben mapped to either a 60Hz refresh or a 120Hz refresh panel.

Hopefully the other Hisense owner can shed some light on the native refresh rate of the panel...
post #7 of 8 Old 05-23-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Thank you

I purchased the 55k20dg model have you found any suggested picture settings?
post #8 of 8 Old 06-08-2014, 06:44 PM

just bought this TV set has anyone figured out good settings yet? and how do you like it so far?

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page