Advice on LED TV 65" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-11-2014, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi,

We're replacing an old dying Sony WEGA 36" tv. The TV will be in the corner of a room with windows on all walls, so it's pretty brightly lit even with shades drawn. Thus, the LED. We'll be sitting on a couch set in a V configuration opposite the TV, max distance about 10-11 feet. We've decided on about 65 inches, but only have a max of $1700 or so to spend. I'd like to get your recommendations for a TV that fits this. 3D technology is negotiable, depending on price passive vs Active. We do have Roku, so I'm not sure that the features of a smart tv wouldn't be redundant (except for the browser). My inclination is Samsung, but I do like the fact that there are some affordable FALD panels produced by VIZIO. I've never used a VIZIO product, so I'm wondering how it would compare to say, the 6400 or 7100 Samsungs.

I'm hoping to buy this big guy VERY soon. I'd appreciate any recommendations you could give me. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-11-2014, 08:43 AM

Liked: 43
Hi imparatus, just a suggestion based on experience. My wife and I went from a 37 inch TV to a 55 inch LG lm8600 and going from 37-55 inch was a BIG change I'll assume going to 65 inch from 37inch would be a bigger adjustment. Not to dissuade you from a 65 inch TV but you can get a top end 1080p model from just about anyone at that price. And get the very best picture quality for your money, for example the Samsung f8000 has some of the very best picture quality and tech in an led for that price range in 55 inch. As for Smart features your roku will be better but on top end models don't think of the smart features think more of the picture quality features, if you want bigger sharp tends to have semi matte screens Wich show less glare than glossy screens.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-11-2014, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
When our 56” JVC LCoS died a few months ago, we went shopping for the biggest TV out furniture could accommodate. Based on Costcos price and good reviews on CNET and Sound & Vision we got the 60” Vizio E series and have been very happy with it. The LED/LCD is able to handle the brightly lit room much better then the rear projection ever did.
It seems Internet apps have become standard on all large sets. The Vizio apps are just OK, nothing special. If I didn't already have an Xbox, I'd get a Roku.
65” would have been nice, but at close to twice the price, I couldn't justify it, plus it was too tight a fit.
Covfam likes this.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-11-2014, 10:27 AM

Yes most models are quite a bit cheaper than the 65 inches. You can usually get a tier 1 55 inch TV for the price of a tier 2 or tier 3 65 inch the Vizio m series are pretty good bang for the buck sets, the Samsung f8000 and plasma 8500 series are great too in fact there plasma is one of the brightest made and are almost as good as led in lighted rooms.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-11-2014, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10

Thanks. I'm hoping to stay at least at 60", and I was looking at the:

Samsung UN60F7100 and the Sony KDL-55W900A. I know that the Sony is a good set; I'm wondering if there's an equivalent 60" version of the Sony?  If you had the chance, which would you chose and why? If there are others, please do let me know!  I'm not sure I NEED 3D or SmartTV (as I said I have Roku), but it may be more desirable later.

post #6 of 6 Old 03-11-2014, 12:42 PM

From my personal experience seeing both in person the Sony w900a is nothing short of awesome for a 1080p set. You will have to hurry if you want it they replacement for that model hits shelves soon and from what I've read it's quite possibly the worst tier 1 television ever made. The Samsung 7100 is a very good set as well I don't think you would go wrong with either. I do think you could get cheaper with Vizio but not as good of a picture imho
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ue40f8000 , Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w900a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page