OFFICIAL Samsung 4k HU8550 and HU9000 thread - Page 100 - AVS Forum
First ... 98  99  100 101  102  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > OFFICIAL Samsung 4k HU8550 and HU9000 thread
sikclown's Avatar sikclown 01:08 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewayacts92 View Post
What? You are right . Two different Reps told me it didn't. I bet they just looked at the overall TV specs. I also missed it somehow.
Now, the 10 bit panel is a bit different since that is not disclosed information to the consumer. I want to believe they are right on that one.
Maybe ask an agent again tomorrow but don't even mention 10-bit. Just ask if it is an 8-bit display.

thewayacts92's Avatar thewayacts92 01:21 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
Maybe ask an agent again tomorrow but don't even mention 10-bit. Just ask if it is an 8-bit display.

Ha, ha. I just asked again and this time the rep double checked and confirmed it has the "Ultra Clear Panel". I will ask about the panel again tomorrow.
Ayla's Avatar Ayla 02:10 AM 07-15-2014
Can anyone comment on reflections/glare on the F8000 vs the HU8550?

I can get the 75" F8000 for $1500 less than the 75" HU8550, and I'm leaning towards purchasing the F8000.

One thing that's important in my setup (windows in the living room) is how it handles reflections, so if the HU8550 was any better at this, I would consider spending the extra $ on it.
assJack1's Avatar assJack1 04:41 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
PRODUCT SIZE (W X H X D) WITHOUT STAND
74.9" x 42.9" x 2.7"

VESA Mount Standard 400x400
Thanks. Do you know if the mounting holes are dead-center or offset? I've had a few panels where the holes are up a handful of inches and others were smack dab in the middle.
grizzledbiker's Avatar grizzledbiker 05:27 AM 07-15-2014
Well guys I'm now debating between one of these 4k TV'S and an OLED. Everyone says the OLED blows away LCD with HD resolutions. But the lifespan of the panel isn't nearly as good. Having a tough time making this decision. Advice?
jhojnicki 06:06 AM 07-15-2014
Has anyone updated their firmware for the HU8550 with the following? Do you know if the same update is available directly on the tv in the update option or does it has to be updated with USB? I saw this available on the download page on the samsung site, update on July 13, 2014:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...UN65HU8550FXZA

This firmware is for TV Model(s): LED HU8500/8550
The version is 2142.1
This firmware update will improve the following:

- Improved usability

- Improved stability

- Improved usability of input devices
grizzledbiker's Avatar grizzledbiker 06:36 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzledbiker View Post
Well guys I'm now debating between one of these 4k TV'S and an OLED. Everyone says the OLED blows away LCD with HD resolutions. But the lifespan of the panel isn't nearly as good. Having a tough time making this decision. Advice?
Tough call > http://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/4k-tv-re...led-vs-4k.html I'd have to view in person. But still leaning toward the 8700. Which I'd think I'd be happier with in the long run. But I'm getting the impression the manufacturers would rather pump out 4k OLED's once they get their ducks all lined up. 5-7 years I suppose.
Phrawst's Avatar Phrawst 06:45 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Run optical audio directly from your blu-ray player to your amp. Don't go through the tv. Now see if you get sound from both of those movies. I had a similar issue and quit relying on HDMI audio.
It was just me being deaf. All is well in the surround department.
Samurai Jack's Avatar Samurai Jack 06:48 AM 07-15-2014
Does anyone have updated numbers for input lag on the H8550 with the latest firmware? On PC / Game Mode?

I would really like this flat, 4k Samsung over the 1080 curved H8000, as I don't like its curve and I think it is overpriced for what it is these days. However, I do game and can't use a TV that has really bad input lag like this one was previously reported to exhibit. The H8000 has the local dimming I want and has good enough numbers there. 4k for me is just gravy from where I sit, but if I'm paying this much for a flagship unit, might as well future proof for the extra couple hundred bucks. I keep a TV a very long time usually.

I just read in the H8000 forum that someone tested with the latest firmware on that unit (version 1300 I think), and they got a good sub-40ms measurement (around 38ms). If the H8550 is showing a lot better numbers with the latest update, I'd love to buy it instead of the H8000.

Let me know who's got some data! I'm hopeful to buy soon for a recently remodeled room. 65" size if that matters at all. Thanks for any insight.
Phrawst's Avatar Phrawst 06:50 AM 07-15-2014
Hey guys.. some bummer news about my 75HU8550

I've noticed a motion blur type effect. Mainly only noticeable when a dark object is moving quickly across the screen on a solid much lighter background.

Good examples of this are the opening sequence in Skyfall when Bond is fighting the bad guy on top of the train. Any time one of them is moving quickly against the sky in the background they're leaving a motion trail behind them.

Another is playing a game like EA Sports NHL. Players quickly skating across the ice leave a trail effect.

Is there something I can do to eliminate this effect in the settings or is this just the nature of the TV? In which case its going back. Help!
doctorwizz's Avatar doctorwizz 07:38 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrawst View Post

I've noticed a motion blur type effect. Mainly only noticeable when a dark object is moving quickly across the screen on a solid much lighter background.

Good examples of this are the opening sequence in Skyfall when Bond is fighting the bad guy on top of the train. Any time one of them is moving quickly against the sky in the background they're leaving a motion trail behind them.

Another is playing a game like EA Sports NHL. Players quickly skating across the ice leave a trail effect.

Is there something I can do to eliminate this effect in the settings or is this just the nature of the TV? In which case its going back. Help!
Turn off the video processing in that Onkyo.

What are your motion plus settings?
jbug's Avatar jbug 07:43 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Correction: Netflix is saying 25mbps or higher. "Can I stream Netflix in Ultra HD 4K?
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444"

It would be the next tier for me.

It's interesting that they have 25mbps listed now. 15mbps was thrown out when 4k streaming was introduced. The article below even mentions up to 50mbps, so 15 - 50 seems to be the range. I have 15mbps and have no problem whatsoever.

Netflix Begin Rollout of 4K Internet Video Streams for Fast Broadband Lines

Posted Wednesday, April 9th, 2014 (9:12 am) by Mark Jackson (Score 948)
Email | Link News
3 Comments

Broadband ISPs might eventually have to brace themselves for higher data demands after it was confirmed that Netflix had officially started to roll-out Ultra HDTV 4K (3840 x 2160 pixels) quality video streams across their Internet-based unlimited movie and TV streaming service. Now all you need is a compatible 4K TV and a 15.6Mbps Internet speed.

Netflix’s new 4K streaming service was first mooted lasted year (here) and is expected to require a stable broadband download speed of 15.6Mbps, although the firms CEO, Reed Hastings, also suggested that those with a 50Mbps connection would be “fine.” In other words the 4K streams may fluctuate upwards from around 15Mbps and so 50Mbps is a safe bet for smooth playback.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...and-lines.html
Mrorange303's Avatar Mrorange303 07:50 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:

use your settings. The amp settings.
Phrawst's Avatar Phrawst 08:02 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post
Turn off the video processing in that Onkyo.

What are your motion plus settings?
I'm at work right now. Hadn't considered the Onkyo being the problem. I haven't fussed with the settings in it too much. I know right now it's just set to Through in terms of outputting the same resolution as what's being input so that the TV is doing the upscaling. Beyond that I'm not sure what other settings there are in terms of video processing.
doctorwizz's Avatar doctorwizz 08:10 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
I'm at work right now. Hadn't considered the Onkyo being the problem. I haven't fussed with the settings in it too much. I know right now it's just set to Through in terms of outputting the same resolution as what's being input so that the TV is doing the upscaling. Beyond that I'm not sure what other settings there are in terms of video processing.
Also, you could try a bypass of the AVR to see if you still see the trailing and smearing.
I checked out Skyfall and didn't see any trailing in that train scene.
grizzledbiker's Avatar grizzledbiker 08:19 AM 07-15-2014
Are these sets FALD?
Hisma's Avatar Hisma 08:23 AM 07-15-2014
^ No, they are edge lit with hardware local dimming.
Mrorange303's Avatar Mrorange303 08:28 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
The best ever.
Stonedcl's Avatar Stonedcl 08:35 AM 07-15-2014
When it comes to 8bit or 10bit , I really do belive that they where released with a 8bit display and changed it in the last couple months. Why would there even be a part number with 8 bit display..

http://www.samsungparts.com/partslis...UN65HU8550FXZA

I really do belive that people that bought this set when it first came out have a 8bit display and people that bought it recently probably have a 10bit display.
The samsung rep is saying that it is 10bit because that is what it is now but I bet if you ask them if part number bn96-29164b is the correct part to there TV then they will say yes. Can someone ask why there are 2 part numbers for the screen to the same TV?

Part #: BN96-29164B
Product: TV
Stock: Nationwide BO, Usually ships within 4-6 weeks
Price: $988.43

Description:
ASSY OPEN CELL

Specification:
LSF650FJ02-A,8BIT,65INCH,
Phrawst's Avatar Phrawst 08:40 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post
Also, you could try a bypass of the AVR to see if you still see the trailing and smearing.
I checked out Skyfall and didn't see any trailing in that train scene.
Yeah I just realized I should go into the Netflix app on the TV and see what happens there. The TV is wall mounted and the wiring setup with the AVR is not the best for tearing apart easily to test things so I'm hoping I don't have to go that route. :P
Mrorange303's Avatar Mrorange303 08:52 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedcl View Post
When it comes to 8bit or 10bit , I really do belive that they where released with a 8bit display and changed it in the last couple months. Why would there even be a part number with 8 bit display..

I really do belive that people that bought this set when it first came out have a 8bit display and people that bought it recently probably have a 10bit display.
The samsung rep is saying that it is 10bit because that is what it is now but I bet if you ask them if part number bn96-29164b is the correct part to there TV then they will say yes. Can someone ask why there are 2 part numbers for the screen to the same TV?

Description:
ASSY OPEN CELL

Specification:
why don't you? Your way of formulating the question would better suit the outcome your seeking.

I figured it out. Aliens.

Mind blown.

J/k you keep at it. We all appreciate your obsessive work.
Hisma's Avatar Hisma 09:00 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedcl View Post

Description:
ASSY OPEN CELL

Specification:
I post from work, so while I post here a lot I don't have a whole lot of time to do extensive research. But I think this question is answered in this thread, on the most recent page -
Samsung Panel Version Thread

Read the discussion between @Woobieizer and @Dogway . Woobieizer mentions that the panel is 8/10 bit selectable. Which makes sense... though I am unsure how it detects which bit depth to use. I could be wrong... Woobieizer seems to be very knowledgeable, so maybe pose your question in the panel version thread directly (or lure him in here).

More and more I am convinced that these high end 2014 sets are all 10-bit capable. Which is awesome and completely unexpected.
doctorwizz's Avatar doctorwizz 09:05 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Yeah I just realized I should go into the Netflix app on the TV and see what happens there. The TV is wall mounted and the wiring setup with the AVR is not the best for tearing apart easily to test things so I'm hoping I don't have to go that route. :P
Good idea with the NF.
Hisma's Avatar Hisma 09:09 AM 07-15-2014
With the combo of the one connect box and a 10-bit panel, the 8550 and 9000 are probably the two most rec. 2020 ready sets currently available. Even though it may be years before the content crops up, at least you have a TV that's truly future-proof. That is definitely a major selling point, especially with so much flux in the 4K/HDMI 2.0 standards.
grizzledbiker's Avatar grizzledbiker 09:15 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Looks like FALD is a highly desired design feature and the way to go if possible. Maybe next year for Sammy. > http://www.cnet.com/news/led-local-dimming-explained/

More info > http://www.cnet.com/news/led-lcd-backlights-explained/
Hisma's Avatar Hisma 09:27 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Looks like FALD is a highly desired design feature and the way to go if possible. Maybe next year for Sammy. > http://www.cnet.com/news/led-local-dimming-explained/

More info > http://www.cnet.com/news/led-lcd-backlights-explained/
We are all aware of the benefits of FALD. If you want FALD 4K, prepare to open up your wallet. The only one available now is $8k for a 65" and has it's own sets of drawbacks. The vizio P series will be out soon, and that may be a good cost-effective option... but you'd be buying a vizio. The up-coming toshiba FALD may be a sleeper hit, but very little info exists on it. I'm perfectly happy with my edge lit. Don't be scared just because tech websites say it's inferior. Let your own eyes be the judge.
joeyvaz's Avatar joeyvaz 09:57 AM 07-15-2014
Watched Journey to the center of the Eart in 3D last night (only 3D movie I have) and it looked terrible. I turned it off after 5 minutes. This was playing through my Oppo BDP-103. I chose the 3D version of the movie in the Blu Ray menu. Are there any other settings I should look at so the picture looks better? 2D looks fantastic. This was the first time I tried a 3D movie on the HU8500 I purchased 2 weeks ago.

Thanks.
grizzledbiker's Avatar grizzledbiker 10:00 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
We are all aware of the benefits of FALD. If you want FALD 4K, prepare to open up your wallet. The only one available now is $8k for a 65" and has it's own sets of drawbacks. The vizio P series will be out soon, and that may be a good cost-effective option... but you'd be buying a vizio. The up-coming toshiba FALD may be a sleeper hit, but very little info exists on it. I'm perfectly happy with my edge lit. Don't be scared just because tech websites say it's inferior. Let your own eyes be the judge.
Oh ok. Just now learning about this stuff. Obviously I want the best display for my money. Not in a hurry to purchase.
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar Cleveland Plasma 10:16 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
That is what they said about Plasma TV's when they first came out. There are still unit running today......Its luck of the draw. There are LED from all manufacturers that only last a few days......some will last until they are thrown out.
rlb's Avatar rlb 10:58 AM 07-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
That is what they said about Plasma TV's when they first came out. There are still unit running today......Its luck of the draw. There are LED from all manufacturers that only last a few days......some will last until they are thrown out.

Come on now. It's one thing if the luck of the draw is with a 50:50 distribution and another thing if it's 999:1. "Luck of the Draw" is meaningless without the distribution of outcomes. You could say it's the luck of the draw on whether or not I win the next Powerball Lottery; but that doesn't mean it's even close to a rational expectation. Numbers (e.g., half life, etc.) are the only way someone can make a rational judgment.
Tags: samsung u8550 , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv
First ... 98  99  100 101  102  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop