post #3361 of 3385 Old Today, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amurphy View Post
So I took the plunge and got the UN75HU8550 this weekend. TV is all set up and I love the picture quality. I am just running into some issues tech:

First, I cant get Netflix to display in 4k. I have a connection high that 25mp and I changed the Nexflix setting to the highest quality streaming and it still doesn't display as 4k. It jumps back and fourth from 480 to 720. The only other 4k stuff I can watch are the pictures I downloaded from the Samsung app. I really want the see a movie/show in 4k and want to make sure the TV is working properly before my exchange period is up.

Second, I noticed the only time the info button works (i.e., tell me what resolution the picture is) is when I am using Nexflix. Is this a malfunction? Should it be telling me what my resolution is when I am using other video programs or watching Fios? Or is there another way to determine what the broadcast quality is during watching. All my other Sammys allow me to tell what the Picture quality is when I hit the info button.

Thanks for any insight.
Out of curiosity, how do you know that you're getting 25mbps of usable bandwidth for Netflix streaming? Do you have a sniffer in-line? Or do you know from your experience with other Netflix streaming devices in your house? Some of the IPS are intentionally "throttling" Netflix -- i.e. they sense when you try to use it and artificially reduce your bandwidth when you do to intentionally compromise your experience. That's the whole reason Netflix made a deal with Comcast, which hasn't been fully implemented yet -- they had to pay-off Comcast to prevent them from screwing with their users bandwidth to undermine the service. It's one of the reasons people are upset with the FCC and their current plan to not enforce network neutrality. I pay Comcast for a "guaranteed 50mbps" but my Netflix was (previously) sucking despite hard-wiring the connection. I had my IT department put some gear in-line and it showed that whenever Netflix was streamed my bandwidth would drop to about 1mbps! The moment Netflix was stopped -- bam -- 50+mbps.

Also, are you using wi-fi or a hardwire (ethernet)? If wi-fi, I would try at least testing it with a wire to make sure it's not the wi-fi connection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 3385 Old Today, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
So I took the plunge and got the UN75HU8550 this weekend. TV is all set up and I love the picture quality. I am just running into some issues tech:

First, I cant get Netflix to display in 4k. I have a connection high that 25mp and I changed the Nexflix setting to the highest quality streaming and it still doesn't display as 4k. It jumps back and fourth from 480 to 720. The only other 4k stuff I can watch are the pictures I downloaded from the Samsung app. I really want the see a movie/show in 4k and want to make sure the TV is working properly before my exchange period is up.

Second, I noticed the only time the info button works (i.e., tell me what resolution the picture is) is when I am using Nexflix. Is this a malfunction? Should it be telling me what my resolution is when I am using other video programs or watching Fios? Or is there another way to determine what the broadcast quality is during watching. All my other Sammys allow me to tell what the Picture quality is when I hit the info button.

Thanks for any insight.
You know that not all Netflix movies and shows are in 4k, only Breaking Bad, and second season of House of Cards, and I think American version has a couple of movies also.
post #3363 of 3385 Old Today, 12:28 PM

Liked: 14
has anyone taken a delivery of an 85 inch unit yet?
post #3364 of 3385 Old Today, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
Out of curiosity, how do you know that you're getting 25mbps of usable bandwidth for Netflix streaming? Do you have a sniffer in-line? Or do you know from your experience with other Netflix streaming devices in your house? Some of the IPS are intentionally "throttling" Netflix -- i.e. they sense when you try to use it and artificially reduce your bandwidth when you do to intentionally compromise your experience. That's the whole reason Netflix made a deal with Comcast, which hasn't been fully implemented yet -- they had to pay-off Comcast to prevent them from screwing with their users bandwidth to undermine the service. It's one of the reasons people are upset with the FCC and their current plan to not enforce network neutrality. I pay Comcast for a "guaranteed 50mbps" but my Netflix was (previously) sucking despite hard-wiring the connection. I had my IT department put some gear in-line and it showed that whenever Netflix was streamed my bandwidth would drop to about 1mbps! The moment Netflix was stopped -- bam -- 50+mbps.

Also, are you using wi-fi or a hardwire (ethernet)? If wi-fi, I would try at least testing it with a wire to make sure it's not the wi-fi connection.
My home is hardwired with Cat6 and the TV is hardwired into the network, I did a speed test on the TV internet browser and it was over 50. I also hooked up a computer to the port that the TV is hooked into and got the same result. I am guessing from your response that maybe my speed for the Netflix app maybe be slower than my internet browser on the TV? Is that possible? If so, do you know of any solutions? I have Verizon Fios. Are they known for throttling Netflix also?

I am watching several episodes of the second season of House of Cards and it says it is 4k but when I play it the TV tells me it is only 480 or 720 (not even 1080, never mind 4k)

I watched Birds of Prey on You Tube and it looks 4k but I cant even tell because the TV wont tell me what it is when I hit the info button. Anyone, who owns the 8550 or 9000, How can you tell for sure it is even 4k picture?
post #3365 of 3385 Old Today, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisterrr View Post
You know that not all Netflix movies and shows are in 4k, only Breaking Bad, and second season of House of Cards, and I think American version has a couple of movies also.
I am watching several episodes of the second season of House of Cards and it says it is 4k but when I play it the TV tells me it is only 480 or 720 (not even 1080, never mind 4k)

I watched Birds of Prey on You Tube and it looks 4k but I cant even tell because the TV wont tell me what it is when I hit the info button. Anyone, who owns the 8550 or 9000, How can you tell for sure it is even 4k picture?
post #3366 of 3385 Old Today, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

This won't directly answer your question, but at least for youtube, instead of streaming the video, download the video instead using 4K video downloader. That way you are taking bandwidth limitations out of the equation, and you will for sure be watching the video in full 4K. Some people seem to have no problem streaming youtube at 4K. But for me, it looks compressed and worse than 1080p. Downloading the video will make you 100% sure you're watching in 4K.
post #3367 of 3385 Old Today, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
What is ARC?

We see this acronym thrown about here quite a bit lately. Never heard of it before so I looked it up > http://hdguru.com/what-is-hdmi-arc-a...for-your-hdtv/ There's more to it than that no doubt. Maybe somebody can explain it in even simpler terms for us non-techies that have trouble understanding this stuff.
post #3368 of 3385 Old Today, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My home is hardwired with Cat6 and the TV is hardwired into the network, I did a speed test on the TV internet browser and it was over 50. I also hooked up a computer to the port that the TV is hooked into and got the same result. I am guessing from your response that maybe my speed for the Netflix app maybe be slower than my internet browser on the TV? Is that possible? If so, do you know of any solutions? I have Verizon Fios. Are they known for throttling Netflix also?

Yes, unfortunately Verizon is known as the worst offender after Comcast for throttling Netflix. I can't speak to it specifically because I don't use them but that's what I've read elsewhere. As with Comcast, results seem to vary by user or area. And, correct, when they throttle your bandwidth they specifically detect traffic to Netflix so it wouldn't affect your speed test on the Internet browser on the TV. To be clear, I'm am not saying that is definitely your issue but it's at least a possibility.
post #3369 of 3385 Old Today, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, unfortunately Verizon is known as the worst offender after Comcast for throttling Netflix. I can't speak to it specifically because I don't use them but that's what I've read elsewhere. As with Comcast, results seem to vary by user or area. And, correct, when they throttle your bandwidth they specifically detect traffic to Netflix so it wouldn't affect your speed test on the Internet browser on the TV. To be clear, I'm am not saying that is definitely your issue but it's at least a possibility.
Uverse is just as bad.
post #3370 of 3385 Old Today, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Here is a recent article on Verizon throttling of Netflix in case you're interested. I hadn't read that they have also extorted blood money from Netflix, though it sounds like they are being slimy and unethical in trying to cheat the agreement anyway. They really, really hate Netflix:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...more-bandwidth
post #3371 of 3385 Old Today, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm having the same issue with Netflix on my 8550. I am a Time Warner customer and have "Standard" internet cable service. I did a speed test and have about 16.8 Mbs download speed. For a $10 more per month I can increase the speed up to 20 Mbs using their "Turbo" plan. But would it be worth it for 4K content on Netflix? I'm wondering if TW throttles Netflix too. As it is now, when watching the second season of "House of Cards" the picture quality is all over the place from 480p to 1080p. I don't think I have ever seen it in UHD.
post #3372 of 3385 Old Today, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanS View Post
I'm having the same issue with Netflix on my 8550. I am a Time Warner customer and have "Standard" internet cable service. I did a speed test and have about 16.8 Mbs download speed. For a $10 more per month I can increase the speed up to 20 Mbs using their "Turbo" plan. But would it be worth it for 4K content on Netflix? I'm wondering if TW throttles Netflix too. As it is now, when watching the second season of "House of Cards" the picture quality is all over the place from 480p to 1080p. I don't think I have ever seen it in UHD.
the some of the Netlfix 4K stuff looks great but others don't look any better than 1080p and some worse (Hitch and Ghostbusters). I have a 150Mbps up 20Mbps down connection and 2160HD pops on immediately. If I were going to upgrade I would go to at least the Extreme on TW (I think 30Mbps) to stream 4K but then at that point I would convince myself to Upgrade to Ultimate for just a little more and get up to 100Mbps. I have an impulse control problem Truthfully though, I wouldn't upgrade just for 4k Netlfix until there was a lot more available content. I upgrade because I download a ton of games and movies.
Rf13 likes this.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1150.5
Denon AVR-2313ci, Denon AVR-S900w, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200
Cox Cisco 6 tuner Contour Box , PS4, Xbox One, HD Antenna
(2) Klipsch F-30s, (2) Klipsch F-20s, (2) Klipsch S-20s,
(2) Klipsch S-10s, (2) Klipsch B-20s, (1) Klipsch Sub-12HG
UN55HU8550, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S590, Motorola Cox Contour Receiver, PC
post #3373 of 3385 Old Today, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzledbiker View Post
We see this acronym thrown about here quite a bit lately. Never heard of it before so I looked it up > http://hdguru.com/what-is-hdmi-arc-a...for-your-hdtv/ There's more to it than that no doubt. Maybe somebody can explain it in even simpler terms for us non-techies that have trouble understanding this stuff.
In simpler terms, it means your HDMI Arc connection can send audio/video from your (TV apps). Such as YouTube,Netflix etc. without having to add another cable for sound (optical). So all you need is one HDMI cable from your tv arc - than HDMI arc in your receiver. Your receiver must have arc in order to work and enabled. So all your components connected to receiver will have Audio/video including your tv apps. Hope that helps.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #3374 of 3385 Old Today, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
In simpler terms, it means your HDMI Arc connection can send audio/video from your (TV apps). Such as YouTube,Netflix etc. without having to add another cable for sound (optical). So all you need is one HDMI cable from your tv arc - than HDMI arc in your receiver. Your receiver must have arc in order to work and enabled. So all your components connected to receiver will have Audio/video including your tv apps. Hope that helps.
Drop the crazy "arc" term. Thats confusing. Must a very recent Sammy or industry acronym. If all it is is digital audio with picture on the same hdmi cable then my Sony amp has had that for over eight years. It also sends a signal that turns on my receiver, television, and blu-Ray player automatically and selects the correct inputs. Which I always thought was pretty cool.
post #3375 of 3385 Old Today, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzledbiker View Post
Drop the crazy "arc" term. Thats confusing. Must a very recent Sammy or industry acronym. If all it is is digital audio with picture on the same hdmi cable then my Sony amp has had that for over eight years. It also sends a signal that turns on my receiver, television, and blu-Ray player automatically and selects the correct inputs. Which I always thought was pretty cool.
It's confusing to you, it's not a Samsung or recent industry acronym. It has been available since 09. So it's not the same as your Sony has.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #3376 of 3385 Old Today, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 31
ARC is part of the HDMI 1.4 spec

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx

Samsung 65" HU8550 - TS01, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE speakers x 7, Outlaw LFM-1 EX sub
WDTV Live, Roku 3, Amazon FireTV, LG BD390 Bluray, WiiU, Nuvola NP1(7-28)
DishTV Hopper w/Sling, Self Made PC, AMD FX8350, 16GB Ram, LG 16x BD-RW
EVGA GTX-780 6GB SC, ACX Cooler, Gigabyte GTX-750Ti 2GB, 3840x2160@60Hz , AC-68 Router
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD, Samsung HD204Ui 2TB, 3 UPS's
post #3377 of 3385 Old Today, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
It's confusing to you, it's not a Samsung or recent industry acronym. It has been available since 09. So it's not the same as your Sony has.
Ok I'll just accept ARC ad something new and perhaps a little different.
post #3378 of 3385 Old Today, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Pictures from my UN65HU9000...Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08657.jpg (204.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08655.jpg (140.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08658.jpg (185.9 KB, 15 views)
post #3379 of 3385 Old Today, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegaudiello View Post
Pictures from my UN65HU9000...Thoughts?
I like them. Seems tad dark. I have 18 backlight. Torch mode.

I have to put dynamic contrast to high to get my ink blacks back. But I do.

I also set dark to low.

If you lose shadow detail add gamma. But you shouldn't need to.

I also use standard mode.
post #3380 of 3385 Old Today, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Nobody knows if the 8550 has 10 bit panel huh?
post #3381 of 3385 Old Today, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBizniss View Post
Not definitively, no. It would likely also depend on which panel you get, since not all are made by Samsung.
post #3382 of 3385 Old Today, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBizniss View Post
Not sure. No one is willing to open one.
post #3383 of 3385 Old Today, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
I like them. Seems tad dark. I have 18 backlight. Torch mode.

I have to put dynamic contrast to high to get my ink blacks back. But I do.

I also set dark to low.

If you lose shadow detail add gamma. But you shouldn't need to.

I also use standard mode.
I'm at 18 backlight, dynamic contrast medium, smart led low & gamma -1...Hmmm
post #3384 of 3385 Old Today, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
I also set dark to low.
What you mean? Black Tone=Dark?
post #3385 of 3385 Old Today, 09:37 PM

Does anyone know how to zoom in as in change the picture size while watching a bluray on a ps3? Was able to do so by a simple press of a button on my LG tv but with samsung picture size is grayed out (HU9000).
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
samsung u8550 , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page