OFFICIAL Samsung 4k HU8550 and HU9000 thread - Page 118 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3511 of 10138 Old 07-30-2014, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Hisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 600
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcec View Post
Thanks! Another quick question, does this TV do full 4K 3D (as in each eye's image has 4K res)?
Yes, it is capable of 4K to each eye. However, no content I know of can take advantage of this yet.
Hisma is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3512 of 10138 Old 07-30-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Citivas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
Yes, it is capable of 4K to each eye. However, no content I know of can take advantage of this yet.
There is true 4K 3D content on YouTube. I posted weeks ago asking owners of this set to try it out and report back if it actually works.
Asturini likes this.
Citivas is offline  
post #3513 of 10138 Old 07-30-2014, 06:18 PM
Member
 
SANdood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Tyngsborough, MA, USA
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cool UN85HU8550 on the way

Long time lurker, sometime poster...

Had to replace my 10-month old UN75F8000 due to an EMP that took out all the HDMI ports, so of course I upgraded (with WAF in advance, of course). The new 85" HU8550 is supposed to be delivered and installed Sunday...I'll let you know how it goes!
Janibrewski likes this.
SANdood is offline  
post #3514 of 10138 Old 07-30-2014, 09:59 PM
Member
 
viper14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewayacts92 View Post
I was about to fill out the form again but checked my email and I received confirmation too
looks like we get screwed again in Canada no offer here
porsche948 likes this.
viper14 is offline  
post #3515 of 10138 Old 07-30-2014, 10:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Not sure if anyone has noticed this but if you use the Plex app streaming media on your network will auto select the sound. The sound will switch from DTS to DD without having to do it manually. Down side is x265 is not supported.... yet

Last edited by Zacasaur; 07-31-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Zacasaur is offline  
post #3516 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 05:09 AM
Member
 
bcec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
Yes, it is capable of 4K to each eye. However, no content I know of can take advantage of this yet.
So since this is a max 60Hz TV, 3D for each eye would be 30Hz max, right? I thought less than 50Hz per eye creates obvious flickering and not recommended. Is this the case with this TV, or have they thought of something clever to overcome this limitation
bcec is offline  
post #3517 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
westa6969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: From Michigan now Retired to Naples, FL
Posts: 7,057
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcec View Post
So since this is a max 60Hz TV, 3D for each eye would be 30Hz max, right? I thought less than 50Hz per eye creates obvious flickering and not recommended. Is this the case with this TV, or have they thought of something clever to overcome this limitation
This is from a Review done by FlatpanelsHD in Europe:
"Samsung does not mention 3D anywhere in their marketing, and it is clear that TV makers have decided to move on. Samsung’s TV can reproduce Full HD 3D content, but cannot receive 4K 3D signals at this point (and none exist). 3D is more or less as good as on Samsung’s latest Full HD 3D TVs.

There is still some crosstalk that bothers our eyes, but 3D detailing is fine. Two active 3D glasses and batteries are included in the box, but Samsung has not managed to eliminate flicker yet."
You may want to double check owners feedback and their feelings about the 3D performance - about the best reviews on 3D have been the LG passive but for now 3D is what it is until it becomes a market bullet point that matters with refinement.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
westa6969 is offline  
post #3518 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Citivas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
You may want to double check owners feedback and their feelings about the 3D performance - about the best reviews on 3D have been the LG passive but for now 3D is what it is until it becomes a market bullet point that matters with refinement.
Last year's LG passive 4K panel got great reviews for 3D. This year people have been complaining of bad crosstalk and ghosting with their new panel, affecting both the LG and the Sony 79" which licenses LG's panel. There's a whole group of users who had been eagerly tracking the 79" Sony X900B until the negative feedback on the 3D and the worse IPS panel black levels caused many of them to shift their interest in the Samsung HU8550 instead.

I demoed 3D with the 85" Hu8550 for about 20 minutes and it looked great (and I say this as someone with a strong bias for passive 3D). I didn't see any obvious crosstalk. I had a vague sense that fast motion was a tad distracting but none of us viewing it could put our finger on why because it wasn't an obvious visual artifact. And that was without adjusting any of the 3D picture settings.
Citivas is offline  
post #3519 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
Last year's LG passive 4K panel got great reviews for 3D. This year people have been complaining of bad crosstalk and ghosting with their new panel, affecting both the LG and the Sony 79" which licenses LG's panel. There's a whole group of users who had been eagerly tracking the 79" Sony X900B until the negative feedback on the 3D and the worse IPS panel black levels caused many of them to shift their interest in the Samsung HU8550 instead.

I demoed 3D with the 85" Hu8550 for about 20 minutes and it looked great (and I say this as someone with a strong bias for passive 3D). I didn't see any obvious crosstalk. I had a vague sense that fast motion was a tad distracting but none of us viewing it could put our finger on why because it wasn't an obvious visual artifact. And that was without adjusting any of the 3D picture settings.
It's freakish good on my hu9000. Pacific rim. Oh my goodness.
Mrorange303 is online now  
post #3520 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 07:11 AM
Member
 
bcec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Great, thanks!

I am a little confused about HDMI 2.0 support on the 8550. Owner's manual under "Supported Resolutions for Video Signals" (pg 225) says HDMI signal support is 3840x2160 @ 24/25/30Hz. But this is HDMI 1.4a spec, not HDMI 2.0 spec (which is rated at 3840x2160 @ 50/60Hz). What gives?
bcec is offline  
post #3521 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 07:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcec View Post
Thanks! Another quick question, does this TV do full 4K 3D (as in each eye's image has 4K res)?


Any image displayed is upconverted to 4k...having said that:


1) Any other feed, with the exception of Blu-rays today, sends the same image side by side or up-bottom. Meaning you actually have 1/2 res.
2) 3D Blu-rays send 2 full red (1080p) images at the same time, which triggered the hdmi 1.4a/b and player updates due to the increased bandwidth necessary to push all that data.
3) Current full HDMI 2.0 compliant device, should be able to play 4k 3D, in theory, on a max 30 fps or maybe higher with limited audio channels


http://www.cnet.com/news/how-3d-cont...-vs-broadcast/
Bassplayer6 is online now  
post #3522 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
Hisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 600
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcec View Post
So since this is a max 60Hz TV, 3D for each eye would be 30Hz max, right? I thought less than 50Hz per eye creates obvious flickering and not recommended. Is this the case with this TV, or have they thought of something clever to overcome this limitation
this is directly out of the product manual:

Hisma is offline  
post #3523 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
Hisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 600
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
This is from a Review done by FlatpanelsHD in Europe:
"Samsung does not mention 3D anywhere in their marketing, and it is clear that TV makers have decided to move on. Samsung’s TV can reproduce Full HD 3D content, but cannot receive 4K 3D signals at this point (and none exist). 3D is more or less as good as on Samsung’s latest Full HD 3D TVs.

There is still some crosstalk that bothers our eyes, but 3D detailing is fine. Two active 3D glasses and batteries are included in the box, but Samsung has not managed to eliminate flicker yet."
You may want to double check owners feedback and their feelings about the 3D performance - about the best reviews on 3D have been the LG passive but for now 3D is what it is until it becomes a market bullet point that matters with refinement.
See the picture I just posted. I don't know where they got their information, since it is clearly stated in the product manual that the TV can in fact receive a 3d signal at full 4K res.

And I don't know why they complain about cross-talk. Many owners here have had fantastic experience with the 3d image quality.
porsche948 likes this.
Hisma is offline  
post #3524 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 07:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
See the picture I just posted. I don't know where they got their information, since it is clearly stated in the product manual that the TV can in fact receive a 3d signal at full 4K res.

And I don't know why they complain about cross-talk. Many owners here have had fantastic experience with the 3d image quality.


You have to look at the 3D mode applied to the resolution.
As you can see 4k res is only when side by side or top-bottom (meaning 1 image split into 2)
Bassplayer6 is online now  
post #3525 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
Hisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 600
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassplayer6 View Post
You have to look at the 3D mode applied to the resolution.
As you can see 4k res is only when side by side or top-bottom (meaning 1 image split into 2)
well perhaps someone can explain what the difference between those 3d modes mean. From my understanding, active 3d uses a side-by-side/top-to-bottom image. Horizontal/veritcal line sounds more like what would be used in passive 3D, where the image is interleaved to half resolution per eye. Pixel, no idea. Frame = frame packing??

Someone please clear this up.
Hisma is offline  
post #3526 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 07:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
well perhaps someone can explain what the difference between those 3d modes mean. From my understanding, active 3d uses a side-by-side/top-to-bottom image. Horizontal/veritcal line sounds more like what would be used in passive 3D, where the image is interleaved to half resolution per eye. Pixel, no idea. Frame = frame packing??

Someone please clear this up.
Please check the link on my post on this page.
Bassplayer6 is online now  
post #3527 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
Hisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 600
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassplayer6 View Post
Please check the link on my post on this page.
okay, so it looks like to me blu-ray uses frame packing 3d method, which requires double the resolution per frame. So 4K 3d blu-ray wouldn't be possible using this method. Perhaps too much bandwidth for hdmi 2.0 to handle? It could be a hdmi limitation, not a TV limitation. Still not 100% sure.

However, L/R or T/B, which apparently is what is used in 3d broadcasts, would work. IMO, it looks like the only way for 4K 3d blu-ray to be possible would be using L/R or T/B. It probably wouldn't look bad, since you're halving the resolution of a 4K image... may not be noticeable as it would with 1080p.

I don't know near enough about 3D to make any sort of educated opinion. Just going off what I seem to have learned reading that article you posted.
Hisma is offline  
post #3528 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,455
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper14 View Post
looks like we get screwed again in Canada no offer here
I wonder why they run these promo's only in some locations, Canada is a big place
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #3529 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sikclown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,299
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcec View Post
Great, thanks!

I am a little confused about HDMI 2.0 support on the 8550. Owner's manual under "Supported Resolutions for Video Signals" (pg 225) says HDMI signal support is 3840x2160 @ 24/25/30Hz. But this is HDMI 1.4a spec, not HDMI 2.0 spec (which is rated at 3840x2160 @ 50/60Hz). What gives?
That is under supported resolutions when connected to a computer. No computer has an HDMI 2.0 graphics card yet. Look at page 208. It is a little confusing but with UHD Color on the TV does full 4k at 50/60 with 4:4:4 on every port except MHL which has HDCP2.2. The current chipsets with HDCP2.2 only allow the HDMI 2.0 port to be capable of the same 4K as 1.4 ports.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1162.2
Denon AVR-X5200W, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
(1) SVS PB12-Plus, (1)Emotiva XPA-100, (1)XPA-200, (1)UPA-200,
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC,
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2)G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
sikclown is offline  
post #3530 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 09:20 AM
Member
 
Stonedcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 14
For you people that got the free UHD movie pack how long did it take from when you first filled it out to get the confirmation that it was shipped? They just added my TV (65hu8550) to the website a couple days ago so I just filled it out. They had the 55" model on there for awile so I called and emailed and complained that the 65" was not on there and they said they would add it and they finally did...
Stonedcl is offline  
post #3531 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 09:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
That is under supported resolutions when connected to a computer. No computer has an HDMI 2.0 graphics card yet. Look at page 208. It is a little confusing but with UHD Color on the TV does full 4k at 50/60 with 4:4:4 on every port except MHL which has HDCP2.2. The current chipsets with HDCP2.2 only allow the HDMI 2.0 port to be capable of the same 4K as 1.4 ports.
Which is a little strange as the hdmi chip on the current One Connect box is the same as in the Sony x900 and per both Silicon Image specs and Sony's, it is only capable of 4:2:0 @60.
Bassplayer6 is online now  
post #3532 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 10:20 AM
Senior Member
 
thewayacts92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedcl View Post
For you people that got the free UHD movie pack how long did it take from when you first filled it out to get the confirmation that it was shipped? They just added my TV (65hu8550) to the website a couple days ago so I just filled it out. They had the 55" model on there for awile so I called and emailed and complained that the 65" was not on there and they said they would add it and they finally did...
Read my post on last page.
thewayacts92 is offline  
post #3533 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sikclown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,299
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassplayer6 View Post
Which is a little strange as the hdmi chip on the current One Connect box is the same as in the Sony x900 and per both Silicon Image specs and Sony's, it is only capable of 4:2:0 @60.
The HDCP 2.2 HDMI 2.0 chip in the MHL Slot may be the same and is only capable of 4:2:0 @ 60. The rest of the HDMI ports are full 4:4:4 @ 60. It is an issue that has been discussed over in quite a few AVR threads. I thought what Sony basically did with their Firmware upgrade on older devices was the same thing Nvidia has done with their drivers, Just enabled 4k@60 4:2:0 on HDMI 1.4? I could be wrong about that but I am definitely right about the Sammy ports, I have two of them and have researched it exhaustively.
rlb likes this.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1162.2
Denon AVR-X5200W, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
(1) SVS PB12-Plus, (1)Emotiva XPA-100, (1)XPA-200, (1)UPA-200,
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC,
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2)G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
sikclown is offline  
post #3534 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
david(dallas)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: plano, Tx
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Back at BB checking out the 85 again. They messed with the settings and it's looking worst. Have it on vivid and the espn pic looks very soft.. and the blue shorts here with not give me a remote or different source to try out.. but motion looks great, ticker still flawless along with flight of a baseball during highlights. Color and blacks look good besides being over saturated
david(dallas) is online now  
post #3535 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sikclown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,299
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by david(dallas) View Post
Back at BB checking out the 85 again. They messed with the settings and it's looking worst. Have it on vivid and the espn pic looks very soft.. and the blue shorts here with not give me a remote or different source to try out.. but motion looks great, ticker still flawless along with flight of a baseball during highlights. Color and blacks look good besides being over saturated
A quick calibration will fix the picture issues.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1162.2
Denon AVR-X5200W, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
(1) SVS PB12-Plus, (1)Emotiva XPA-100, (1)XPA-200, (1)UPA-200,
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC,
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2)G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
sikclown is offline  
post #3536 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 12:48 PM
Member
 
Mike Hodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Do you think the blacks are better on this 85" than the Sony 79X900B? Is that noticeable in store? I'm trying to make a decision today and what I saw on the Sony was not impressive (I spent several hours with in a living room under different lighting conditions and settings). Could you see any uniformity issues or light bleed?
Mike Hodge is offline  
post #3537 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Citivas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hodge View Post
Do you think the blacks are better on this 85" than the Sony 79X900B? Is that noticeable in store? I'm trying to make a decision today and what I saw on the Sony was not impressive (I spent several hours with in a living room under different lighting conditions and settings). Could you see any uniformity issues or light bleed?
I saw both at the same store but the HU8550 was in a darkened room and the X900B was in the main BB show floor, which makes it unfair for the Sony. That's why I previously stated the 8550 was "at least on par" with the X900B because I had to handicap that difference. Someone else posted that they saw them side-by-side and the 8550 has better blacks. All of this is pretty subjective since these sets aren't calibrated and we're not taking readings but dealing with people's subjective eye-ball assessments. I will say the 8550 was not has deep a black, as configured, as the HU9000 or the X950B I saw in similar lighting conditions. This makes sense because the 9000 has a couple Samsung features for local dimming that isn't in the 8550 line, and the 950 is FALD. Though I still was super impressed with the 8550 picture overall.
Citivas is offline  
post #3538 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
The HDCP 2.2 HDMI 2.0 chip in the MHL Slot may be the same and is only capable of 4:2:0 @ 60. The rest of the HDMI ports are full 4:4:4 @ 60. It is an issue that has been discussed over in quite a few AVR threads. I thought what Sony basically did with their Firmware upgrade on older devices was the same thing Nvidia has done with their drivers, Just enabled 4k@60 4:2:0 on HDMI 1.4? I could be wrong about that but I am definitely right about the Sammy ports, I have two of them and have researched it exhaustively.
This is correct. Only the Samsung does this. Also the next year or year after the one connect will only improve the current sets.
As the Samsung is already capable of the 4k connection standards and streaming standards that are floating around today.

This is a major major advantage to buying Samsung 4k sets.
Mrorange303 is online now  
post #3539 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 01:12 PM
Member
 
Mike Hodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
I saw both at the same store but the HU8550 was in a darkened room and the X900B was in the main BB show floor, which makes it unfair for the Sony. That's why I previously stated the 8550 was "at least on par" with the X900B because I had to handicap that difference. Someone else posted that they saw them side-by-side and the 8550 has better blacks. All of this is pretty subjective since these sets aren't calibrated and we're not taking readings but dealing with people's subjective eye-ball assessments. I will say the 8550 was not has deep a black, as configured, as the HU9000 or the X950B I saw in similar lighting conditions. This makes sense because the 9000 has a couple Samsung features for local dimming that isn't in the 8550 line, and the 950 is FALD. Though I still was super impressed with the 8550 picture overall.
Thanks, I'm going to look at the 85" this afternoon. A store in Santa Monica has the 85" in a room as well and the X900B in the showroom. I will be able to play with the settings there and hopefully turn out the lights. I am very familiar with the 79X900B so I should be able to see differences.
Mike Hodge is offline  
post #3540 of 10138 Old 07-31-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Citivas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hodge View Post
Thanks, I'm going to look at the 85" this afternoon. A store in Santa Monica has the 85" in a room as well and the X900B in the showroom. I will be able to play with the settings there and hopefully turn out the lights. I am very familiar with the 79X900B so I should be able to see differences.
Sounds good. Let us know the results. Are you going to bring your own content to have an apples-to-apples comparison, play a blu-ray or some real content and not the default demo content. And ideally set both to their movie picture modes.
Citivas is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
samsung u8550 , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off