post #3811 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hodge View Post
How is the 85HU8550? What are your initial impressions?
I like the set a lot. Finally go around to mounting the set and actually using it. (Worked all week so I never had a chance to even turn it on).

The set is not bad for weight size. 125 lbs. @ 85" isn't bad compared to my 65" Panny which was 200 lbs. It's thicker than I expected, but I don't care.

Picture is okay right now. I haven't fully dialed things in, but I have enough experience to tell that the set has the capability of being awesome. The picture is a little softnd I haven't figured out yet how to make it crisp yet. there more be some contributing factors amongst settings beyond sharpness.

I did have to push the tint more towards the green, and of course change the judder/blur settings. I'll do a cal in a few weeks when the set has some more hours on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Calibration Free One Day Only

Calibration settings can vary signifcantly from set to set - there are only genral conclusions that can be drawn from a single sample.

To prove my point I am offering to calibrate two 60" or 65" 8550's within 30 miles of zip 19382 (west chester pa) on sunday aug (between 8am 3pm). The only stipulation is that you agree to let me post before after setting, reports and pics. My equipment includes eye one pro, minolta cs 200, cal man 5, color facts. PM if interested.

That will give me 3 samples to discuss on the thread and demonstrate that this set benefits greatly from calibration and that copying settings wont get you where you need to be.
GatorJZ likes this.
post #3813 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirNaTine View Post
Finally got a reply for the UHD Movie pak (waited a whole week, yeah I got impatient ). Being sent now should be here in a week or two.

Also about getting my TV professionally calibrated, where is the best place to find Calibrators? Best buy? HHgregg Etc...or goto a higher end audio/video shop.?
Definitely. NOT from the major chains. They train and send their own people. They have the equipment but it's hit and miss on quality and even their best would be mediocre compared to the best independent calibrators. A high end AV shop probably could refer you to a good independent. But there is an entire forum on this site dedicated to his and it includes a sticky topic with a list of good ones by geographic area. I would provide a link but am on mobile right now so not as easy. Also, the best calibrators often travel the country in scheduled "tours" and if you are patient or lucky on timing you can schedule them. Usually similar price. Chad for example, who you may have read his reviews here, travels.
post #3814 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bberns22 View Post
Calibration settings can vary signifcantly from set to set - there are only genral conclusions that can be drawn from a single sample.

To prove my point I am offering to calibrate two 60" or 65" 8550's within 30 miles of zip 19382 (west chester pa) on sunday aug (between 8am 3pm). The only stipulation is that you agree to let me post before after setting, reports and pics. My equipment includes eye one pro, minolta cs 200, cal man 5, color facts. PM if interested.

That will give me 3 samples to discuss on the thread and demonstrate that this set benefits greatly from calibration and that copying settings wont get you where you need to be.

That is awesome, hope people take you up on it. I'll be interested in the results. Personally I've never had a tv professionally calibrated but I know everyone that has usually raves about it.
post #3815 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OPPO (103) output setting

What output setting do you have your OPPO set with. This is from the manual:

For both HDMI outputs, the following output resolutions are available: 4Kx2K, Auto, 1080p, 1080i, 720p,

480p/576p, 480i/576i, and Source Direct. If Auto is selected, the player will determine the output resolution

based on the best signal resolution that the TV can display.

Samsung UN78HU9000
Parasound Halo C-2 & Halo A-51
B&W 805D L&R & HTM4 D Center with Canton Karat 920 RR and LR, Velodyne FSR-18
Oppo 103, DirectTV H24-700, Apple TV, SONOS Bridge and Connect
Office: Sony KDL60-720NX & Energy PowerBar Elite, Den: Samsung PM60F5300 & ZVOX 580, Bedroom: Samsung UN50EH5300, Bathroom: Samsung UN46EH5000
post #3816 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosM45 View Post
How's everyone’s clouding/banding/flash lighting on the HU8550? Specifically the 75" ones if some of you own them?
I just got my 50HU8550 two days ago, spent 6.5 hours calibrating it Thursday, and have been fine tuning it ever since. I have it set up with an Onkyo TX-SR705, Speakercraft AIM8 FIVE 7.1 system, and "temporary" Panasonic BDT360 BD player (Oppo 103D on it's way). My panel is housed in an amoire (wife, not my idea!) kitty-cornered in an 18'x24' family room with a fireplace. Even with 8(!) windows in this room, I do not mind the panel's reflective screen even during the day. I'm coming from a Sony Aquos LCD with a pure matte screen. I'm giving you these specs to denote that this is not a true HT set-up, but more for total family viewing.

Clouding: None

Banding: None

Flashlighting: very minor in two bottom corners, almost invisible when backlight setting is <10. I've heard taking a microfiber cloth and rubbing in circles gently removes this. I'm waiting to put some more hours on the panel before I try this.

Pixels: perfect

Screen does "turn off" when there is "no signal" or a handshake. The "No source detected" message comes up if I don't have the cable box on or BD player on, not really a concern just a mention.

I believe once I'm done with all adjustments, this will be an almost perfect panel (IH01). I know you mentioned you had a wife. I'm married with 4 kids, and it has passed the "family" test with flying colors.

My wife has 20/15 vision and I have 20/18. We sit anywhere from 6 ft (me) to 12 ft away (her), and she immediately saw a difference. "The PQ looked amazing!" This was with Comcast 1080i movies and shows. The HU8550 does a superb job upconverting BD content. I have a wired connection (105/10) and am pleased with Netflix & Amazon; they upload almost instantly. My 7-year-old watches animated shows on Netflix and after they buffer (3-5 seconds), the upconversion from 2K to 4K makes them almost look native 4K. (If you want to see native 4K, put the set in shop demo mode and look at the mountain scenes with the sheep. They look like they can be plucked right out of the panel!) I am very impressed with the upconversion so far, simply breathtaking.

I pick some of the standard movies in my BD library (Iron Man, Avengers) and 3D movies I just recently purchased (Prometheus, Star Trek, Tangled) and everyone is impressed. I'm still playing around with the depth settings on the BD player because 3D is completely new to me. Also, I have to comment on SDVD. I picked out one of my Criterions, L'Avventura (B&W) and thought I had put in a BD (even though no BD of this movie exists yet). I had to actually go within 6 inches of the panel to see any artifacts. This was the best I have ever seen this SDVD look anywhere. I'll be checking out more SDVDs as I go along.

I know sharing calibration settings has been a very "hot" topic as of late, so I'm reluctant to post these for fear of being flamed. If anyone has questions about specific settings, you can PM me.

I was a little hesitant (as anyone is) with my purchase and nervous about justifying it to my wife. My wife has been impressed and actually happy (go figure!) with the purchase, as well as my kids with 3D. I have absolutely no buyer's remorse, especially with the $200 discount and free $300 Samsung UHD video packet on its way.

I'd give this panel a 9.8/10. There are obviously some imperfections (I'm completely OCD about details!) I really don't know how this could be better without going OLED, but that will be at least a 50% mark up over anything we have now, and well beyond my "justification" range for a family room set-up. If I were getting this panel for a true HT room, I would definitely have gotten a 75" or 85".

Last edited by MegaMember; 08-09-2014 at 07:47 AM. Reason: added SDVD and set-up
post #3817 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMember View Post
I just got my 50HU8550 two days ago, spent 6.5 hours calibrating it Thursday, and have been fine tuning it ever since. I have it set up with an Onkyo TX-SR705, Speakercraft AIM8 FIVE 7.1 system, and "temporary" Panasonic BDT360 BD player (Oppo 103D on it's way).

Flashlighting: very minor in two bottom corners, almost invisible when backlight setting is <10. I've heard taking a microfiber cloth and rubbing in circles gently removes this. I'm waiting to put some more hours on the panel before I try this.

Screen does "turn off" when there is "no signal" or a handshake. The "No source detected" message comes up if I don't have the cable box on or BD player on, not really a concern just a mention.

I believe once I'm done with all adjustments, this will be an almost perfect panel (IH01). I know you mentioned you had a wife. I'm married with 4 kids, and it has passed the "family" test with flying colors.

My wife has 20/15 vision and I have 20/18. We sit anywhere from 6 ft (me) to 12 ft away (her), and she immediately saw a difference. "The PQ looked amazing!" This was with Comcast 1080i movies and shows. The HU8550 does a superb job upconverting BD content. I have a wired connection (105/10) and am pleased with Netflix & Amazon; they upload almost instantly. My 7-year-old watches animated shows on Netflix and after they buffer (3-5 seconds), the upconversion from 2K to 4K makes them almost look native 4K. (If you want to see native 4K, put the set in shop demo mode and look at the mountain scenes with the sheep. They look like they can be plucked right out of the panel!) I am very impressed with the upconversion so far, simply breathtaking.

I pick some of the standard movies in my BD library (Iron Man, Avengers) and 3D movies I just recently purchased (Prometheus, Star Trek, Tangled) and everyone is impressed. I'm still playing around with the depth settings on the BD player because 3D is completely new to me. Also, I have to comment on SDVD. I picked out one of my Criterions, L'Avventura (B&W) and thought I had put in a BD (even though no BD of this movie exists yet). I had to actually go within 6 inches of the panel to see any artifacts. This was the best I have ever seen this SDVD look anywhere. I'll be checking out more SDVDs as I go along.

I know sharing calibration settings has been a very "hot" topic as of late, so I'm reluctant to post these for fear of being flamed. If anyone has questions about specific settings, you can PM me.

I was a little hesitant (as anyone is) with my purchase and nervous about justifying it to my wife. My wife has been impressed and actually happy (go figure!) with the purchase, as well as my kids with 3D. I have absolutely no buyer's remorse, especially with the $200 discount and free $300 Samsung UHD video packet on its way.

I'd give this panel a 9.8/10. There are obviously some imperfections (I'm completely OCD about details!) I really don't know how this could be better without going OLED, but that will be at least a 50% mark up over anything we have now, and well beyond my "justification" range.

I'd be interested in your settings if you don't mind sharing. Feel free to send me a pm!
post #3818 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I just got my 50HU8550 two days ago, spent 6.5 hours calibrating it Thursday, and have been fine tuning it ever since. I have it set up with an Onkyo TX-SR705, Speakercraft AIM8 FIVE 7.1 system, and "temporary" Panasonic BDT360 BD player (Oppo 103D on it's way). My panel is housed in an amoire (wife, not my idea!) kitty-cornered in an 18'x24' family room with a fireplace. Even with 8(!) windows in this room, I do not mind the panel's reflective screen even during the day. I'm coming from a Sony Aquos LCD with a pure matte screen. I'm giving you these specs to denote that this is not a true HT set-up, but more for total family viewing.

I'd give this panel a 9.8/10. There are obviously some imperfections (I'm completely OCD about details!) I really don't know how this could be better without going OLED, but that will be at least a 50% mark up over anything we have now, and well beyond my "justification" range for a family room set-up. If I were getting this panel for a true HT room, I would definitely have gotten a 75" or 85".
Love to learn more about what settings worked for you as well. Thanks.
post #3819 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
Go back a few pages, I remember someone saying it was 600 x 400 on the 75". I will try and find it as well.

Update: Sorry that was actually the 85" that the user found it to be 600x400.
Do a search from a previous post from me as I listed my measurement findings which jive with manual when I mounted my 75 hu8550 normal vesa mount worked.
post #3820 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhilden View Post
I would never recommend someone to stretch their budget unreasonably but if you can I would go for a 8550. A sound bar would be just fine for your situation. As for the One Connect you wouldn't get it with the 8550 but you would just plug in your sound bar with an HDMI.
Not true sound connect does work on the 8550 but if you don't go to the trouble of using arc by connecting arc from TV to hdmi out on soundbar you will have to live with the volume adjustment boink sound on the TV
post #3821 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 177
The Sound and Vision review of the 55" HU8550 is finally online. The review LOVEs it. The review is almost gushing in some places. Interestingly, he was more impressed with it's ability to improve unconverted 2K sources than he was with native 4K content, despite admitting in the review that theoretically the unconverted sources shouldn't look better than on a great 2K set. He did a side-by-side comparison with the Panasonic plasma and came out liking the Samsung LCD, though admitting the Plasma still beat in terms of black contrast on very dark scenes.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...led-ultra-hdtv
post #3822 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
65HU8700 - quad core plus

Ok guys, I really like the curve and I am going between the 65" HU8550 and the HU8700 (can't afford the HU9000). So while browsing the Sammy webpage, I notice it calls out "quad core Plus" for the processor on the HU8700. The spec sheet calls out "quad core" though. So I chatted with technical support and he verified it is indeed the Plus processor. I then asked about the panel and he couldn't verify if it is an 8 or 10 bit.

So the differences between the 8550 and the 8700 are the processor, clear motion rate (1200 (hu8550) vs 1320(hu8700), and the curved screen.

Discounting the curve, is the processor and clear motion rate worth the added cost? I do watch a ton of sports, and notice people commenting on the hu8550 stutters but the hu9000 does not. Would the higher clear motion help?

Thanks,
Mike
post #3823 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pxtreme View Post
Absolutely no insult intended, if any was taken I apologise.
misunderstanding is all around
post #3824 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Has anyone tried the send to option from the TV. I tried sending a file from the tv to my laptop but want able to find where our went before having to leave. Had anyone tried this out.

Last edited by Zacasaur; 08-09-2014 at 12:43 PM.
post #3825 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 42
hey had Chads review been posted as of yet? Cant find it
post #3826 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Arent these 2 different sets
post #3827 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So have a question. I can get the un65HU9000 for about $1000 cheaper as a used model off a store floor. Do you think it would be worth it, or get brand new? It would still get the same warranty, as it is a floor model.
post #3828 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetmike View Post
Ok guys, I really like the curve and I am going between the 65" HU8550 and the HU8700 (can't afford the HU9000). So while browsing the Sammy webpage, I notice it calls out "quad core Plus" for the processor on the HU8700. The spec sheet calls out "quad core" though. So I chatted with technical support and he verified it is indeed the Plus processor. I then asked about the panel and he couldn't verify if it is an 8 or 10 bit.

So the differences between the 8550 and the 8700 are the processor, clear motion rate (1200 (hu8550) vs 1320(hu8700), and the curved screen.

Discounting the curve, is the processor and clear motion rate worth the added cost? I do watch a ton of sports, and notice people commenting on the hu8550 stutters but the hu9000 does not. Would the higher clear motion help?

Thanks,
Mike
Does cmr even matter? Its 120hz
post #3829 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepus View Post
So have a question. I can get the un65HU9000 for about $1000 cheaper as a used model off a store floor. Do you think it would be worth it, or get brand new? It would still get the same warranty, as it is a floor model.
Do you like the wY the store model looks?
post #3830 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnok89 View Post
Do you like the wY the store model looks?
The floor model looks fine. I would be wall mounting it of course, was more curious about the life taken out of it, or hours it has been run.
post #3831 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:

I think that topic spun a little out of control. The gist of it was that it probably isn't right to share someone elses work/calibration settings without their permission but if you did it yourself feel free to post away. I doubt anyone would have a problem with it.
Citivas likes this.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1162.2
Denon AVR-X5200W, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
(1) SVS PB12-Plus, (1)Emotiva XPA-100, (1)XPA-200, (1)UPA-200,
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC,
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2)G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
post #3832 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnok89 View Post
Does cmr even matter? Its 120hz
I thought so. I thought that 60hz vs 120hz vs 240hz really doesn't matter anymore. It's better to go by CMR (for sammy, other manufactures call it different).

Someone correct me if I am wrong though.
post #3833 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I thought so. I thought that 60hz vs 120hz vs 240hz really doesn't matter anymore. It's better to go by CMR (for sammy, other manufactures call it different).

You always go by what the panel is capable of. Anything more then 240hz then it is a processor doing the work for the refresh rate. 120hz is far better then a 60hz.
post #3834 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I was thinking about getting the vizio reference series but I'd only beable to afford the 55" I think (depending on the cost). Anyone have any idea about a 65" Dolby vision tv coming out soon?
post #3835 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:

Ya that cmr rate is garbage. I dont understand why they dont use 240. They all have their own silly name for it. 120 still seems slow.

I actually saw a class action suit going to sue tv manufactures for lying about the hz.
post #3836 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
I think that topic spun a little out of control. The gist of it was that it probably isn't right to share someone elses work/calibration settings without their permission but if you did it yourself feel free to post away. I doubt anyone would have a problem with it.
Yes, if anyone has done the calibration himself please share.
post #3837 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Do Hu9000/8550 upscale vudu content or does it stay at 1080p?
post #3838 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepus View Post
Just a thought, I purchased a floor model from Circuit City in 2003. It is an early CCFL Sony XBR LED. I hope I got all that correct.

Point being, we still watch it.

It outlasted my 2006 Sony Wega Trinitron CRT. The 2006 was not a floor model and was purchased brand new.

I worried about it being a floor model, but, it did not matter to the longevity of the television. I bought the extended service plan, but, never needed it. Thank goodness, as Circuit City is long gone.

Maybe, because it is a floor model, you can see what, if any, problems it has. So many problems that I read about are noticed right out if the box or within a couple of months. This floor model has already passed those benchmarks.

Again, just a thought.

Last edited by McGonagall; 08-09-2014 at 07:00 PM.
post #3839 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGonagall View Post
Just a thought, I purchased a floor model from Circuit City in 2003. It is an early CCFL Sony XBR LED. I hope I got all that correct.

Point being, we still watch it.

It outlasted my 2006 Sony Wega Trinitron CRT.

I worried about it being a floor model, but, it did not matter to the longevity of the television. I bought the extended service plan, but, never needed it. Thank goodness, as Circuit City is long gone.

Maybe, because it is a floor model, you can see what, if any, problems it has. So many problems that I read about are noticed right out if the box or within a couple of months. This floor model has already passed those benchmarks.

Again, just a thought.

Thanks for the info. The guys I deal with are reputable and I don't think they want me having a bad experience. They are giving me some late in the year pricing.
post #3840 of 9785 Old 08-09-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiPlaneteer View Post
Do Hu9000/8550 upscale vudu content or does it stay at 1080p?
Upscales all non 4k native content.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
samsung u8550 , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page