OFFICIAL Samsung 4k HU8550 and HU9000 thread - Page 131 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 129  130  131 132  133  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > OFFICIAL Samsung 4k HU8550 and HU9000 thread
tontondavid's Avatar tontondavid 06:33 AM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
that makes absolutely no sense at all. It has a slower processor & lower CMR. If it's that much better than the 9000 (and the 9000 has excellent motion handling, for me anyway), then there's something else about the 85" that differentiates it from the smaller 8550s.



You sound difficult to please... I think edge lit sets aren't for you. Maybe wait for OLED, or break the bank for a 950.

I know it doesn't make sense but that's my impression after only one day of use. It may change as I get to test different movies.

I don't think I'm that difficult although i certainly should have settled with the first set I got but it's too late.
I have to say that the most perfect panel I had was a 65 inch hu9000. I feel like the bigger sizes are a hit or miss.

honda steffen's Avatar honda steffen 07:29 AM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tontondavid View Post
Do you have any clouding at all then?
a verrryyyy little "light shining" directly in the left corner of the lower black bar. Not all the time visible. Depents on the backlight dimming.
(size: approx. 1,5 inch)

Not a Problem so far
Citivas's Avatar Citivas 09:12 AM 08-11-2014
HD Guru is doubling-down on their FALD claim for the 85" 8550, which they insist has been confirmed with a senior Samsung person they believe is credible. They've now added this to their link to Amazon for the 85":

"Retail $12000 Now $9997.99 Amazon direct -Note: This is a full array LED backlit model with local dimming, not edge-lit as stated by Amazon."
Citivas's Avatar Citivas 09:18 AM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tontondavid View Post
I know it doesn't make sense but that's my impression after only one day of use. It may change as I get to test different movies.

I don't think I'm that difficult although i certainly should have settled with the first set I got but it's too late.
I have to say that the most perfect panel I had was a 65 inch hu9000. I feel like the bigger sizes are a hit or miss.
I think the issue and dynamic is that for the $ these sets cost, people properly expect near-perfection. WHile in fact the price is unrelated to the quality control of the physical product and these are mass produced assembly line products with a fairly high degree of fault tolerance. Also, people who hang out here become much, much more sensitized to these issues of clouding, light bleed, etc. Most people don't even look for these issues and if they do see them, except in extreme cases, they live with them. I am not at all suggesting we should live with them -- this is a logical reaction to the ridiculous pricing levels -- but I don't think the assembly quality of these product are capable of meeting the expectations established by that pricing.
sikclown's Avatar sikclown 09:55 AM 08-11-2014
The 2nd UHD Video Pack is now listed on Samsung's site, albeit I could only find it by Googling the product id CY-SUC10SH1/ZA (versus CY-SUC10SH/ZA for the original drive). MSRP is 399.00 and it gets you 5 more Hollywood movies and 26 more nature documentaries. No mention on the description of it allowing future studio content so likely just a hard drive with overpriced content. I did go ahead and order one from crutchfield after selling my free UHD Drive that I just got with my HU8550 on ebay.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/t...subtype=others
Bassplayer6's Avatar Bassplayer6 10:33 AM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
The 2nd UHD Video Pack is now listed on Samsung's site, albeit I could only find it by Googling the product id CY-SUC10SH1/ZA (versus CY-SUC10SH/ZA for the original drive). MSRP is 399.00 and it gets you 5 more Hollywood movies and 26 more nature documentaries. No mention on the description of it allowing future studio content so likely just a hard drive with overpriced content. I did go ahead and order one from crutchfield after selling my free UHD Drive that I just got with my HU8550 on ebay.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/t...subtype=others
I wonder what that really means (from the product description).
"fully immerse yourself in the glory of preloaded blockbusters at near UHD-level quality."
cag3413's Avatar cag3413 10:44 AM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
The 2nd UHD Video Pack is now listed on Samsung's site, albeit I could only find it by Googling the product id CY-SUC10SH1/ZA (versus CY-SUC10SH/ZA for the original drive). MSRP is 399.00 and it gets you 5 more Hollywood movies and 26 more nature documentaries. No mention on the description of it allowing future studio content so likely just a hard drive with overpriced content. I did go ahead and order one from crutchfield after selling my free UHD Drive that I just got with my HU8550 on ebay.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/t...subtype=others
How long did it take you to get the free hardrive, through the rebate.
sikclown's Avatar sikclown 11:09 AM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cag3413 View Post
How long did it take you to get the free hardrive, through the rebate.
Like 12 days I think. It was pretty fast.
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar Cleveland Plasma 12:52 PM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
HD Guru is doubling-down on their FALD claim for the 85" 8550, which they insist has been confirmed with a senior Samsung person they believe is credible. They've now added this to their link to Amazon for the 85":

"Retail $12000 Now $9997.99 Amazon direct -Note: This is a full array LED backlit model with local dimming, not edge-lit as stated by Amazon."
Just because its on the internet does not make it true. Even if the specs showed this, I would leave this info out for sure on my site...... If it was FALD, lets face it, the unit would be about double the price. It may be some form of back light dimming, but not like the X950B Sony, older units from Sony, or the Sharp Elite LED's of the past.
Citivas's Avatar Citivas 01:08 PM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Just because its on the internet does not make it true. Even if the specs showed this, I would leave this info out for sure on my site...... If it was FALD, lets face it, the unit would be about double the price. It may be some form of back light dimming, but not like the X950B Sony, older units from Sony, or the Sharp Elite LED's of the past.
Of course it doesn't. But no one has disproved it yet, and they are sticking with their story. The logic that it's not FALD simply based on the price is not compelling. JVC has an 85" FALD panel coming out with an MSRP (not street price) of $8K. Vizio has a 70" FALD coming out for about $3K.

As for parsing whether some direct-lighting is FALD and some is not, that's all subjective. Most people here consider direct LED backlighting with local dimming FALD. If we're going to say it's not FALD until it is at least XXX zones or YYYY individual LED's, then Vizio has at most one FALD set that may or may not be coming out this year and the rest are marketing lies. But try convincing all the people in the 2014 Vizio topics, or even the reviewers, that those sets are not FALD.

It could well be a FALD panel that isn't in the same league, of course, as the Sony 950B or the Samsung S9 because it has fewer zones and fewer LED's. And it could also have an inferior local dimming algorithm, a lesser processor, etc. All that would make a difference in the picture quality but not change the fact that it's a FALD panel by virtue of being direct-lit and having some degree of local dimming. Interesting that the first statements from HD Guru called it "direct-lit" but didn't use the phrase "Full array with local dimming" (i.e. FALD). The latest statement from them does.

This is mostly an academic discussion at this point. I would be curious to get the definitive answer eventually but having seen the set a couple times, in detail, it's PQ is great but not better than the HU9000 which is edge-lit or certainly not better than the 950B. Fantastic edge-lit can beat ok-FALD. So FALD or not, it's a great set but not the best. But is the S9 worth 4X what it costs, or the 85" 950B 2.5X? I don't think so. That said, I think this set should be selling for about $7,500. You can get the HU900 for low 6-thousands.
MatiPlaneteer 01:11 PM 08-11-2014
Has anyone tried both HU8550 and the Hu9000 65 in in their home? I was wonder is the HU9000 worth the extra money?
slimoli's Avatar slimoli 01:31 PM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
Of course it doesn't. But no one has disproved it yet, and they are sticking with their story. The logic that it's not FALD simply based on the price is not compelling. JVC has an 85" FALD panel coming out with an MSRP (not street price) of $8K. Vizio has a 70" FALD coming out for about $3K.

As for parsing whether some direct-lighting is FALD and some is not, that's all subjective. Most people here consider direct LED backlighting with local dimming FALD. If we're going to say it's not FALD until it is at least XXX zones or YYYY individual LED's, then Vizio has at most one FALD set that may or may not be coming out this year and the rest are marketing lies. But try convincing all the people in the 2014 Vizio topics, or even the reviewers, that those sets are not FALD.

It could well be a FALD panel that isn't in the same league, of course, as the Sony 950B or the Samsung S9 because it has fewer zones and fewer LED's. And it could also have an inferior local dimming algorithm, a lesser processor, etc. All that would make a difference in the picture quality but not change the fact that it's a FALD panel by virtue of being direct-lit and having some degree of local dimming. Interesting that the first statements from HD Guru called it "direct-lit" but didn't use the phrase "Full array with local dimming" (i.e. FALD). The latest statement from them does.

This is mostly an academic discussion at this point. I would be curious to get the definitive answer eventually but having seen the set a couple times, in detail, it's PQ is great but not better than the HU9000 which is edge-lit or certainly not better than the 950B. Fantastic edge-lit can beat ok-FALD. So FALD or not, it's a great set but not the best. But is the S9 worth 4X what it costs, or the 85" 950B 2.5X? I don't think so. That said, I think this set should be selling for about $7,500. You can get the HU900 for low 6-thousands.
Let's say the price argument is not compelling, don't you think Samsung would be promoting the 85" as a FALD on any press release ? They are not stupid, they know how important this is for the potential buyers of a set like this.
tontondavid's Avatar tontondavid 01:33 PM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post
Let's say the price argument is not compelling, don't you think Samsung would be promoting the 85" as a FALD on any press release ? They are not stupid, they know how important this is for the potential buyers of a set like this.

Like someone else said though, if they did that, they would certainly undermine the S9. Just my 2 cents.
slimoli's Avatar slimoli 01:39 PM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tontondavid View Post
Like someone else said though, if they did that, they would certainly undermine the S9. Just my 2 cents.

Could be. I am waiting for the Panasonic FALD , already announced but given their financial situation I have serious doubt if we will ever see it. The claim that it can be equal or better than the ZT60 is very promising.
Rf13's Avatar Rf13 01:47 PM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post
Could be. I am waiting for the Panasonic FALD , already announced but given their financial situation I have serious doubt if we will ever see it. The claim that it can be equal or better than the ZT60 is very promising.
With about 128 zones it should be a decent set for the price I believe the 950b has around the same amount.
westa6969's Avatar westa6969 01:58 PM 08-11-2014
I wish members quit touting JVC and even this 85" FALD as if it's the JVC of old, it isn't . It's simply not the same company and no different than RCA is Thompson Electronics and not RCA and thus = Crapvision today.

JVC sold its TV branding rights to a Taiwanese company called AmTRAN Technology in 2011. My point is the past JVC history has nothing to do with this new company that's slapping a badge they bought so I wouldn't expect much out of this, they have supplied some panels to Vizio but they promise alot with few results sort of like Vizio "P"/Ref series is still MIA 8 months later after all the puffery of CES = ZILCH UHD results to-date.
Citivas's Avatar Citivas 02:27 PM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
I wish members quit touting JVC and even this 85" FALD as if it's the JVC of old, it isn't . It's simply not the same company and no different than RCA is Thompson Electronics and not RCA and thus = Crapvision today.

JVC sold its TV branding rights to a Taiwanese company called AmTRAN Technology in 2011. My point is the past JVC history has nothing to do with this new company that's slapping a badge they bought so I wouldn't expect much out of this, they have supplied some panels to Vizio but they promise alot with few results sort of like Vizio "P"/Ref series is still MIA 8 months later after all the puffery of CES = ZILCH UHD results to-date.
I was quoting JVC agnostically with no reference to quality or lineage. I completely agree, and have stated previously, that you can have good edge-lit that is better than bad FALD. But I was addressing the suggestion that no large FALD sets could come out below the $10K price range.
Citivas's Avatar Citivas 02:45 PM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post
Let's say the price argument is not compelling, don't you think Samsung would be promoting the 85" as a FALD on any press release ? They are not stupid, they know how important this is for the potential buyers of a set like this.
All this was discussed in detail further back in this topic and another one. I wasn't trying to reignite the debate, just to pass on the latest information.

I personally have never taken a position that it is FALD or not. I personally evaluated the set twice with several other people and none of us could say definitive even after running some tests using the Spears & Munsil discs. The panel we saw have none of the absolutely obvious give-aways like clear light bleed from the edge. The panel was very uniform. But black levels were not as good as the edge-lit HU9000 let alone the X950B FALD set. There was a very subtle amount of lightening in the bottom left corner when viewing the grey/white checkerboard test slide and the fast scrolling logo against the black screen created a lighter band from edge-to-edge along. All possible signs of edge-lit but if so, very good edge-lit. On the other hand, it could just be mediocre FALD, with relatively few local dimming zones, relatively few individual LCD's or not Samsung's best software for managing motion and dimming. FALD doesn't automatically equal better. But it had the kind of uniformity that is hard to find with edge-lit. Not to mention the physical panel is twice as thick as all the smaller sizes in that model line including the 75".

There are plenty of reasons Samsung may not have promoted this, including but not limited to:

1) They don't want it to undermine the S9. They may have had practical reasons they chose a direct-lit panel based on the available supply of 85" 4K panels but had not intended to push it as a competitor to their existing S9.

2) Right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. It is common at Samsung that the marketing department gets things wrong. Since the rest of the 8550 panel line is definitely edge-lit, there may be confusion or delay internally from the marketing department that's undermining pushing this feature.

3) It may not be something they want to promote because of the compromises in the way they did it. If they slapped a limited zone direct-lit panel with the same software as the rest of the line they may not want people judging it on the basis of it's FALD status. Better to have people say it's an awesome edge-lit than a so-so FALD, especially when you want people to believe that you are uncompromising with your S9 FALD implementation.

4) Avoiding confusion. Again, if they had technical or practical reasons they put a FALD panel in the 85" as opposed to marketing reasons, they may not want to confuse the market by promoting a differentiated feature of the model line. If they were going to promote it as FALD, they might have called is the S7 (made that up) or something else.

5) Who knows…
HometheaterAddict 02:50 PM 08-11-2014
Hi,

I am in the market for a HU8550 but don't know if I should get a 55" or 65". I have a 50 inch but want to go to 65" but don't know it if is worth the money and does the picture quality gets reduce due to the bigger size.

Anybody with insight is much appreciated.
slimoli's Avatar slimoli 02:55 PM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by HometheaterAddict View Post
Hi,

I am in the market for a HU8550 but don't know if I should get a 55" or 65". I have a 50 inch but want to go to 65" but don't know it if is worth the money and does the picture quality gets reduce due to the bigger size.

Anybody with insight is much appreciated.

By all means, go with the 65. Picture quality will be pretty much the same but the extra room will make a big difference.
Rf13's Avatar Rf13 03:39 PM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
All this was discussed in detail further back in this topic and another one. I wasn't trying to reignite the debate, just to pass on the latest information.

I personally have never taken a position that it is FALD or not. I personally evaluated the set twice with several other people and none of us could say definitive even after running some tests using the Spears & Munsil discs. The panel we saw have none of the absolutely obvious give-aways like clear light bleed from the edge. The panel was very uniform. But black levels were not as good as the edge-lit HU9000 let alone the X950B FALD set. There was a very subtle amount of lightening in the bottom left corner when viewing the grey/white checkerboard test slide and the fast scrolling logo against the black screen created a lighter band from edge-to-edge along. All possible signs of edge-lit but if so, very good edge-lit. On the other hand, it could just be mediocre FALD, with relatively few local dimming zones, relatively few individual LCD's or not Samsung's best software for managing motion and dimming. FALD doesn't automatically equal better. But it had the kind of uniformity that is hard to find with edge-lit. Not to mention the physical panel is twice as thick as all the smaller sizes in that model line including the 75".

There are plenty of reasons Samsung may not have promoted this, including but not limited to:

1) They don't want it to undermine the S9. They may have had practical reasons they chose a direct-lit panel based on the available supply of 85" 4K panels but had not intended to push it as a competitor to their existing S9.

2) Right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. It is common at Samsung that the marketing department gets things wrong. Since the rest of the 8550 panel line is definitely edge-lit, there may be confusion or delay internally from the marketing department that's undermining pushing this feature.

3) It may not be something they want to promote because of the compromises in the way they did it. If they slapped a limited zone direct-lit panel with the same software as the rest of the line they may not want people judging it on the basis of it's FALD status. Better to have people say it's an awesome edge-lit than a so-so FALD, especially when you want people to believe that you are uncompromising with your S9 FALD implementation.

4) Avoiding confusion. Again, if they had technical or practical reasons they put a FALD panel in the 85" as opposed to marketing reasons, they may not want to confuse the market by promoting a differentiated feature of the model line. If they were going to promote it as FALD, they might have called is the S7 (made that up) or something else.

5) Who knows…
Idk if this adds any weight to the discussion but I've seen only one owner report clouding near the edge middle of the screen, but no signs of the back light arrangement.
thewayacts92's Avatar thewayacts92 04:47 PM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
I think the issue and dynamic is that for the $ these sets cost, people properly expect near-perfection. WHile in fact the price is unrelated to the quality control of the physical product and these are mass produced assembly line products with a fairly high degree of fault tolerance. Also, people who hang out here become much, much more sensitized to these issues of clouding, light bleed, etc. Most people don't even look for these issues and if they do see them, except in extreme cases, they live with them. I am not at all suggesting we should live with them -- this is a logical reaction to the ridiculous pricing levels -- but I don't think the assembly quality of these product are capable of meeting the expectations established by that pricing.
I just helped one of my good friends set up his TV, which is a lower end Samsung. I can't believe how excited he was to mount it and once we did he never once made comments about the picture but just how good it looked.
It doesn't come any close to the 8550 but he did not care nor asked any question about comparisons.
It is great to see people who just enjoy a tv with the fam for what it is... just to have a good time together.
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar Cleveland Plasma 05:37 PM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
Of course it doesn't. But no one has disproved it yet, and they are sticking with their story. The logic that it's not FALD simply based on the price is not compelling. JVC has an 85" FALD panel coming out with an MSRP (not street price) of $8K. Vizio has a 70" FALD coming out for about $3K.
Just because a TV is FALD does not make it good, even the Sony X950B could use more local dimming zones.......
Mike Hodge's Avatar Mike Hodge 05:42 PM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda steffen View Post
my 85 has nothing like that with the same "no signal" scene
Same here, don't have that.
tontondavid's Avatar tontondavid 06:08 PM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hodge View Post
Same here, don't have that.

Does this mean I have a bad panel?? This is really annoying!
I watch another movie tonight and it was fine until I saw the credits and then it ruined the whole thing.
The two large blobs on the left side where staring right into my face.
I'd hate to exchange a fourth time!!
What do you guys think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407802486.801521.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	208393
Attached:
Hisma's Avatar Hisma 06:19 PM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tontondavid View Post
Does this mean I have a bad panel?? This is really annoying!
I watch another movie tonight and it was fine until I saw the credits and then it ruined the whole thing.
The two large blobs on the left side where staring right into my face.
I'd hate to exchange a fourth time!!
What do you guys think?

Attachment 208393
Okay there is no way that set is FALD. That picture should put this debate to rest.

And yes, I wouldn't accept that.

What is your backlight set to, and what is smart LED set to?
tontondavid's Avatar tontondavid 06:25 PM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
Okay there is no way that set is FALD. That picture should put this debate to rest.



And yes, I wouldn't accept that.



What is your backlight set to, and what is smart LED set to?

Backlight is at 14 and led set to high!!

I have to admit that I purposefully set the focus point on the dark part of the screen to be able to show the problem better. It is not nearly as bad in real life but not too far off either!!
FirNaTine's Avatar FirNaTine 07:15 PM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by HometheaterAddict View Post
Hi,

I am in the market for a HU8550 but don't know if I should get a 55" or 65". I have a 50 inch but want to go to 65" but don't know it if is worth the money and does the picture quality gets reduce due to the bigger size.

Anybody with insight is much appreciated.
Theres no picture quality reduction just due to size. I've never heard of it. By all means get the biggest size you can afford or works in your place. I upgraded from a regular HD 46 inch to the 65 inch HU8550 and love it. Although after some time it doesn't seem as big anymore lol.
bekindrewind's Avatar bekindrewind 07:15 PM 08-11-2014
I've been researching the differences between the F9000 vs HU8550.
It's my understanding the HU8550 is almost identical to last years F9000. (Maybe the HU8550 is a rebadged F9000?)

F9000 series features micro dimming ultimate, HU8550 features UHD Micro dimming technology. (UHD Micro dimming may be last years term for Micro dimming pro?)

The HU8550 is equipped with the UHD Dimming, which is a software-based, and it works by scanning a large amount of zones across the screen and automatically determining the required enhancement to each zone in order to further boost the contrast between bright and dark areas in the same picture. The F9000 utilizes similar technique, called Micro Dimming Ultimate, which was originally developed for 1080p devices, so the number of zones is likely to be smaller in comparison to the UHD Dimming, although it needs to be stressed that Samsung does not release exact numbers, so it’s hard to determine for sure.

The F9000 has cinema black, HU8850 does not.

Any other differences?
McGonagall 07:29 PM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tontondavid View Post
Does this mean I have a bad panel?? This is really annoying!
I watch another movie tonight and it was fine until I saw the credits and then it ruined the whole thing.
The two large blobs on the left side where staring right into my face.
I'd hate to exchange a fourth time!!
What do you guys think?

Attachment 208393
That is REALLY bad!

I only have the H8000 and my picture is perfect when the credits roll.

I would really not accept that for the price you are paying.

I have Smart LED on high.
Tags: samsung u8550 , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv
First ... 129  130  131 132  133  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop