AVS Forum banner
2M views 22K replies 1K participants last post by  SaberJet 
#1 ·
Hi, guys…I've decided to start a new thread on these new 2014 4k TVs from Samsung so we can talk about them. Here are some links to more info about them:

HU8550 Series (55")
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55HU9000FXZA

HU9000 Series (55")
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55HU9000FXZA

HU8550 Spec Sheet
http://www.brandsmartusa.com/pdfs/manuals/20175428.pdf

I currently have an older Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV and it has served me very well over the last few years. Since the 4k TVs came out, I was seriously considering the 55F9000 as a replacement, but now I'm looking at this new 2014 series. As far as I can tell, here are the main differences between the HU8550 series and HU9000 series (this is after doing a comparison of the two sets on the Samsung website): HU9000 has Quad Core Plus processor, while the HU8550 has a standard Quad Core; the HU9000 is Smart Evolution Ready, whereas the HU8550 does not appear to have the same feature; the HU9000 has a pop-up camera while the HU8550 has no camera; the Clear Motion Rate on the HU9000 is 1440 while the HU8550 has a Clear Motion Rate of 1200; the HU9000 has Purcolor and Auto Depth Enhancer while the HU8550 does not have either feature.

Interestingly enough, if you review the Spec Sheet for the HU8550, it also suggests that there is no One Connect Box for this series. The sheet specifically mentions that the One Connect Box is sold separately…does this mean that the One Connect Box is not included with the HU8550 and all connections are made directly to the TV? If so, then I would give an edge to the older F9000 because I'm a HUGE fan of the One Connect Box idea and I would actually lean towards picking up the F9000.

As I understand it, these TVs also have an 8-bit panel, so I would assume that colors will be limited…this is a disappointment since I am not sure that these TVs would be able to accurately render a wide variety of colors according to the new HDMI 2.0 spec or whatever 4k standards will be established over time. I also find the HU9000 series to be INCREDIBLY annoying with the curved screen idea. I wish Samsung would have included these extra features on the 8550 flat series inasmuch as I do not see any great advantage of a curved screen. I will wait to see what the reviews say about these new series TVs and how they compare to the F9000. At this time, I'm torn between getting the 8550 or the older F9000 once that older series becomes cheaper. Presumably Samsung will release a new One Connect Box for the F9000 that will give it the same features as the 8550, so I'm wondering if that will be the best option for me.

Please discuss your thoughts on this new series along with expert and owner reviews here!

See less See more
#3,081 ·
My 65-inch 4K UHD 8550 is finally mounted on its new credenza and hooked into my A/V system. Here are a few thoughts and impressions after spending a week with this new set:

• The picture quality is absolutely outstanding once the "soap opera" effect is turned off.
  • I find it easier to operate the new set and other AV equipment using my Harmony remote. It was easy to just reprogram it for the Samsung set (using the profile for an earlier Samsung set with Smart Hub.)
  • I still use the Samsung Smart Remote for interacting with apps on the set and to access the menus for set adjustments, etc. This small remote is handy but the angle at which you hold it to move the "dot" cursor on the screen can really get strange at times.
  • The only UHD media I can get to work are 4K videos from Youtube and Vimeo. At least they appear to be 4K. I can't bring up the resolution by pressing "Info" on the remote for either of these two sources. The built in Samsung UHD apps work also.
  • Netflix is a no go for me as far as UHD content is concerned. Everytime I attempt to play a video (such as a Season 2 episode of House of Cards) the resolution jumps around all the way from 480p to 1080p. My cable modem download speed is 16.8 Mbs. Guess that just doesn't cut it for Netflix
  • Samsung has done a great job with their upconversion of 1080p to UHD. It has truly been an eye opener watching HBO programs and other dramas (Tyrant/24) as the set reveals a great deal more detail and depth.
This is our first Samsung TV and we have our fingers crossed that we won't encounter any major issues with it. We have been lucky so far....

#3,082 ·
The Samsung is a 75". My 55" Sony 55HX850 has never demonstrated this kind of ghosting.
Unfortunately not all Samsung panels are created equal. Samsung employs some form of VA panel in most of their LED/LCD based displays and from I have gathered VA panels are inherently slower than say an IPS panel by LG. The response time has a lot to do with ghosting and most manufacturers stopped advertising response time on televisions. You used to see things like "2ms GTG response time" on some advertising. The grey to grey (GTG) response time is considerably faster than Black to white. I remember buying a 4ms GTG LG and having horrible ghosting and left me scratching my head. I read and article saying that while the advertised GTG response times were uber low the B/W could be as high as 100ms. The. Manufacturers began overdriving their displays to eliminate ghosting and ended introducing overdrive trailing or white halos around moving objects. I have owned the 46"-55" NX720 and had almost no ghosting and very minor overdrive trailing,but had a 55" D6900 that had horrible ghosting and trailing issues smearing blacks while also having halos around the object moving in screen. I know this is a long winded explanation and may or may not help answer your question,but just trying to help out. It has been awhile since I have brushed up on response time stuff.

#3,083 ·
To use when none of the other names make any sense?
I have tried, it can't be changed from ----

I was just flipping through the PDF manual for the TV. I'm almost sure it mentioned that you can rename the inputs.

#3,084 ·
Have you turn off deep color? In that AVR's manual it shows how by pressing certain front panel buttons. It is in the troubleshooting section.
No I haven't done that. Thanks for catching that and all the help so far.

#3,085 ·
No you actually have to go to Menu>System>General.Game Mode>On Changing the Input Name to Game doesn't do anything as far as I know.

Hmm I thought the last time I tried setting the Input name to PC in the source menu that I noticed a bunch of picture config options became greyed out after that... I'll try to confirm tonight. Woof lots of things to try. :/ Wish **** could just work.

#3,086 ·
I was just flipping through the PDF manual for the TV. I'm almost sure it mentioned that you can rename the inputs.
You may be right. Page 30/229

To view the Options menu, press the TOOLS button or press and hold the E button on the standard
remote. On the Samsung Smart Control, press and hold the touch pad or press the KEYPAD button,
and then select TOOLS on the On-Screen Remote.
The functions that appear in the Options menu can include any of the following:
● Edit Name: Lets you assign a device name to an input source, for example, Blu-ray to HDMI1. To
assign a device name to an input source, follow these steps:
11 Open the Source List. The list appears in a horizontal line across the top of the TV. Using your
remote, highlight the source you want to assign a device name to.
21 Select Edit Name in the Options menu. The on-screen keyboard appears.
31 Using the keyboard, enter a new name. You can enter up to 15 characters.
41 When finished, select DONE on the keyboard, and then press the touch pad or the E button

#3,088 · (Edited)
HU9000 = hw + sw (many zones), curved 4k
HU8550 = hw + sw (few zones), flat 4k
H8000 = hw + sw (many zones), curved 1080p
H7150 = sw-only, flat 1080p

^^^ I think this is the correct assumption. I am still trying to find the info I read that stated the HU8550 was hw + sw with fewer zones.
Yes, I think this is true the more I dig. Here's what I'm so far understanding:

"UHD Dimming" >= "Micro Dimming Ultimate" = dimming implemented in software

From Samsung:

Notice the identical wording...

UHD Dimming precisely scans an incredible amount of zones across the entire image and adjusts brightness to deliver deeper darks and brighter whites. It virtually eliminates the "halo" effect and image distortion, so you’ll enjoy a crystal clear picture.

Micro Dimming Ultimate precisely scans an incredible amount of zones across the entire image and adjusts brightness to deliver deeper darks and brighter whites. It virtually eliminates the "halo" effect and image distortion, so you’ll enjoy a crystal clear picture.

"Precision Black" = dimming implemented in hardware

Experience sharper contrast with Precision Black Local Dimming. It dims LEDs behind the darkest area of the picture for greater contrast and darker blacks, while the brighter elements remain as bright as they should be. Sit back and enjoy the picture.

The HU9000 lists both UHD Dimming (SW) and Precision Black Local Dimming (HW).

The HU8700 lists both UHD Dimming (SW) and Precision Black Local Dimming (HW).

The HU8550 lists both UHD Dimming (SW) and Precision Black Local Dimming (HW).

The H8000 lists both Micro Dimming Ultimate (SW) and Precision Local Dimming (HW).

The H7150 lists only Micro Dimming Pro (SW, lesser processor).

Now, how many zones for each is anybody's guess, but it seems plausible that the "flagship" 1080p unit (H8000) and the "flagship" 4k unit (HU9000) have the most zones.

So I'll update my guess to be this:

4K Models:
HU8700 = hw + sw (few zones), curved 4k

1080p Models:

That seems a very likely way to arrange your model lineup from a marketing standpoint.

So it again leaves me wanting the flatness of the HU8550 and the input lag of the H8000. I guess I'll have to take another posters recommendation and try gaming in-store on a HU8550...but I know numbers up at 60-75ms will be noticeable to me.

I know on other models, though, that the latest firmware updates have reduced the lag numbers (independently measured via Leo Bodnar device, not reported by Samsung). If the latest FW for the HU8550 could achieve the tolerable 36-46ms range I've seen measured on H8000 and the H7150, I'd be all over it.

I've considered the Sony, but the big dumbo ear speakers on the sides are a dealbreaker for my installation. And really, this set is primarily not for gaming (most of the time I do that on my DLP projector), but I will definitely use it for some and for the money I'm dropping, I want it to be possible if anything changes in the way I use my setups.

Thanks so far for the good analysis.

#3,090 ·
Yes, I think this is true the more I dig. Here's what I'm so far understanding:

"UHD Dimming" >= "Micro Dimming Ultimate" = dimming implemented in software

From Samsung:

Notice the identical wording...

UHD Dimming precisely scans an incredible amount of zones across the entire image and adjusts brightness to deliver deeper darks and brighter whites. It virtually eliminates the "halo" effect and image distortion, so you’ll enjoy a crystal clear picture.

Micro Dimming Ultimate precisely scans an incredible amount of zones across the entire image and adjusts brightness to deliver deeper darks and brighter whites. It virtually eliminates the "halo" effect and image distortion, so you’ll enjoy a crystal clear picture.

"Precision Black" = dimming implemented in hardware

Experience sharper contrast with Precision Black Local Dimming. It dims LEDs behind the darkest area of the picture for greater contrast and darker blacks, while the brighter elements remain as bright as they should be. Sit back and enjoy the picture.

The HU9000 lists both UHD Dimming (SW) and Precision Black Local Dimming (HW).

The HU8700 lists both UHD Dimming (SW) and Precision Black Local Dimming (HW).

The HU8550 lists both UHD Dimming (SW) and Precision Black Local Dimming (HW).

The H8000 lists both Micro Dimming Ultimate (SW) and Precision Local Dimming (HW).

The H7150 lists only Micro Dimming Pro (SW, lesser processor).

Now, how many zones for each is anybody's guess, but it seems plausible that the "flagship" 1080p unit (H8000) and the "flagship" 4k unit (HU9000) have the most zones.

So I'll update my guess to be this:

4K Models:
HU8700 = hw + sw (few zones), curved 4k

1080p Models:

That seems a very likely way to arrange your model lineup from a marketing standpoint.

So it again leaves me wanting the flatness of the HU8550 and the input lag of the H8000. I guess I'll have to take another posters recommendation and try gaming in-store on a HU8550...but I know numbers up at 60-75ms will be noticeable to me.

I know on other models, though, that the latest firmware updates have reduced the lag numbers (independently measured via Leo Bodnar device, not reported by Samsung). If the latest FW for the HU8550 could achieve the tolerable 36-46ms range I've seen measured on H8000 and the H7150, I'd be all over it.

I've considered the Sony, but the big dumbo ear speakers on the sides are a dealbreaker for my installation. And really, this set is primarily not for gaming (most of the time I do that on my DLP projector), but I will definitely use it for some and for the money I'm dropping, I want it to be possible if anything changes in the way I use my setups.

Thanks so far for the good analysis.

I think with the latest firmware from July and source set to PC the lag (hu8550) was measured at around 43ms.

#3,091 ·
I bought a Harmony Ultimate One to use with my 8550, and I'm very pleased with the overall level of control it gives me. Much better than my old Harmony 900. But I haven't found a way to get the pointer feature to work. You need to be touching the Smart Control disk in order for the pointer to appear on the TV, and I'd be interested to know if anyone else has succeeded in getting it to work.
Did you ever get a response or figure this out?

#3,093 ·
I can't get the on screen keyboard to appear.
I did it on HDMI3 when I first set the TV up and now I can't figure out how I did it. I can't edit the ---- on 1 or 2 but on 3 the keyboard pops up in every time. :confused:

#3,094 ·
Did you ever get a response or figure this out?
The pointer will only appear on the screen with the smart remote that came with it.

#3,095 ·
Hmm I thought the last time I tried setting the Input name to PC in the source menu that I noticed a bunch of picture config options became greyed out after that... I'll try to confirm tonight. Woof lots of things to try. :/ Wish **** could just work.
Changing the input Name to PC is an old Sammy trick to decrease lag. It also turns off certain options but a reviewer said it did nothing to reduce lag on these TVs. Changing the input name to Game does nothing.

#3,096 ·
No sound from ARC UN65HU8550 to Yamaha RX-A2000

Spent many hours trying to find a solution, hope you guys can help me.

TV UN65HU8550 using HDMI4 which is ARC IN/OUT
Receiver Yamaha RX-A2000 using HDMI1 which is ARC IN/OUT

I would like to connect TV to receiver via ARC

TV Menu Sound>Output> RECEIVER is greyed out !!! so I left it to Internal speakers
On the receiver, HDMI control is ON and ARC is ON

Have tried 2 other HDMI cables

Thank you

Paul

#3,097 ·
I did it on HDMI3 when I first set the TV up and now I can't figure out how I did it. I can't edit the ---- on 1 or 2 but on 3 the keyboard pops up in every time. :confused:
I'm a little confused about that post.
You say that you did it on 3 and can't figure out how, then you say that on 3 the KB pops up every time.
So the KB pops up on 3 but you can't edit the name?

I can't get the KB on any input to pop up. Tried a bluetooth KB, nothing.

#3,098 ·
Spent many hours trying to find a solution, hope you guys can help me.

TV UN65HU8550 using HDMI4 which is ARC IN/OUT
Receiver Yamaha RX-A2000 using HDMI1 which is ARC IN/OUT

I would like to connect TV to receiver via ARC

TV Menu Sound>Output> RECEIVER is greyed out !!! so I left it to Internal speakers
On the receiver, HDMI control is ON and ARC is ON

Have tried 2 other HDMI cables

Thank you

Paul
I had the same problem with my Onkyo. There is likely a setting on the receiver that needs to be turned on to enable ARC on that end. HDMI CEC or something like that is how I fixed it in my setup.

#3,099 ·
I will be getting the 78HU9000 soon...I spent $100 at Costco for the square trade warranty (have 60 days to register the serial). The way I look at it, if it works, great, if not Costco will give me my $100 back. Keep in mind, about 40% of Best Buy's profit comes from selling extended warranties.
If you understand risk, and expected value, you find the $100 plan gives you a little piece of mind.
How many years does the $100 cover? I know about Best Buy. They are pricey. Square Trade prices seem to be cheaper through Amazon than on their website. I had Black Tie last time and it definitely paid off. But the price to cover the HU8550 is $349 for only two years. Basically one year since the first year is already covered by Samsung.

There are other warranties you can buy on the net as well for a lot less cash..........
What other are there besides Square Trade? Is Square Trade good?

Thanks!

#3,100 ·
I'm a little confused about that post.
You say that you did it on 3 and can't figure out how, then you say that on 3 the KB pops up every time.
So the KB pops up on 3 but you can't edit the name?

I can't get the KB on any input to pop up. Tried a bluetooth KB, nothing.
Somehow I can change the name on HDMI 3 and only HDMI 3. I don't remember how I initially got the keyboard to pop up to rename it but now it does it on HDMI 3 whenever I choose to edit name. I can not figure out how to get any other HDMI port to do the same.

update: OK I figured it out.

1) Choose an HDMI Source
2) Hit Source again and then go to the upper right hand gear to create a Universal Remote
3) Choose Set Top box, Bluray, Or Home Theater and go through the process to setup a Universal Remote on that source. It doesn't actually have to be connected and you can choose whatever you want here.
4) once you are done it will have renamed the source with the brand name of whatever device you chose.
5) Now hit Source again and then hold down Enter (Smart Pad on Smart Remote) until the menu pops up. Choose Edit Name and BINGO is your Name-O.

That is a lot just to edit a name.

Reactions: doctorwizz