OFFICIAL Samsung 4k HU8550 and HU9000 thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 4488Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2014, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
Hisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 772
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 193

I have the HU9000, and I have to say corner bleeding is not bad at all... just a small bit in the bottom left-hand corner.  Clouding however is pretty noticeable, and especially annoying when I use subtitles on dark scenes.  It literally looks like a grey haze. 

 

I'd have to say that is my biggest negative on the set however.  I can learn to live with it, since everything else about the TV is excellent.  The clouding is not an issue in most dark scenes if you use cinema blacks with smart LED, as long as you don't have bright subtitles overlaying the dark area.

 

I still have a feeling you will not accept the level of clouding, based on your comments.

Hisma is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-07-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tigerfan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I called Samsung about Amazon/Netflix issues. Did the remote support and he reset all the apps. Took about 10 min to reload apps. Everything works fine now. If this issue comes back I'll be returning my tv.
thepoet likes this.
tigerfan33 is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 08:28 AM
Member
 
fonz5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post

I have the HU9000, and I have to say corner bleeding is not bad at all... just a small bit in the bottom left-hand corner.  Clouding however is pretty noticeable, and especially annoying when I use subtitles on dark scenes.  It literally looks like a grey haze. 

I'd have to say that is my biggest negative on the set however.  I can learn to live with it, since everything else about the TV is excellent.  The clouding is not an issue in most dark scenes if you use cinema blacks with smart LED, as long as you don't have bright subtitles overlaying the dark area.

I still have a feeling you will not accept the level of clouding, based on your comments.

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe my expectations were a little high going into it. I really only notice it when logging into Netflix and sometimes on very dark scenes from Direct TV. Maybe I ma just being overly picky. I love everything else about the TV. At this point I am just nervous about keeping it and then hearing that the new Panny or Sony 4k's have no clouding. Then I will be kicking myself.
fonz5000 is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
doctorwizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: MD
Posts: 1,162
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

I called Samsung about Amazon/Netflix issues. Did the remote support and he reset all the apps. Took about 10 min to reload apps. Everything works fine now. If this issue comes back I'll be returning my tv.

So they just reset the apps and not the whole TV?
doctorwizz is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Glenee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MidWest
Posts: 1,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 76
There are no LED/LCD Displays on the market with No Clouding or some edge,light , or corner bleed. It the nature of the technology. No one has it and anyone that says they do, just ask them to pony up the bet money and I will find it. Some have a lot less than others, but they all have it.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

Glenee is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tigerfan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post

So they just reset the apps and not the whole TV?

It was both. I had already done a tv reset that didn't work. When they reset the apps the tv was reset also.
doctorwizz likes this.
tigerfan33 is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2375 Post(s)
Liked: 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

There are no LED/LCD Displays on the market with No Clouding or some edge,light , or corner bleed. It the nature of the technology. No one has it and anyone that says they do, just ask them to pony up the bet money and I will find it. Some have a lot less than others, but they all have it.
The ones with full array / direct view backlights instead of edgelights will certainly be less likely to have non-uniform black screen performance though. Even Samsung is going back to direct view backlights on more of their TVs for 2014.
Stereodude is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Ahzari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post

I can't play it from USB either. Resolution not supported. I can play them fine from PC. Looks like we are SOL with that rez (4096x2304). Max rez using a PC is 4096x2160

Same issue, works on my mac, but not the TV at that resolution.

Audio: Yamaha A-S1000 Stereo Amp // Kef LS50s // Dual JL Audio e112
Analog:Pro-Ject RM5.1SE Turntable // Pro-Ject Tube Box II SE Phono Amp // Pro-ject Speed Box II
Video: Samsung 65' HU9000 UHD // Oppo BDP-105 // Apple TV (4G - 64gb)
Power: Furman PST-8 AC Power Conditioner
Ahzari is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 14,112
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1286 Post(s)
Liked: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

There are no LED/LCD Displays on the market with No Clouding or some edge,light , or corner bleed. It the nature of the technology. No one has it and anyone that says they do, just ask them to pony up the bet money and I will find it. Some have a lot less than others, but they all have it.
Not unless your pockets are deep, the Sony XBR-65X950B would be the one to watch......
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Glenee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MidWest
Posts: 1,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Not unless your pockets are deep, the Sony XBR-65X950B would be the one to watch......
Maybe. Its will be the first if it is. I like all my displays and I own all technologies except OLED. I have never seen any LCD/LED not have the flaws this board describes. I love my LED's that I own, and I have always said: If you can't see it when the movies playing it is of no concern to me. That's because I don't watch blank pictures on my sets.
Janibrewski and jhughy2010 like this.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

Glenee is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Member
 
fonz5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

Maybe. Its will be the first if it is. I like all my displays and I own all technologies except OLED. I have never seen any LCD/LED not have the flaws this board describes. I love my LED's that I own, and I have always said: If you can't see it when the movies playing it is of no concern to me. That's because I don't watch blank pictures on my sets.

This a good way to look at it. I guess it doesn't really matter if there is clouding on the Netflix Log-In Screen as long as I can't notice it when tv/movies are playing. My main fear is sticking with the HU9000 and then the new 4k Panasonics come out and then that's the best tv on the market for the same price.
fonz5000 is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vega509's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Northeast
Posts: 1,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonz5000 View Post


This a good way to look at it. I guess it doesn't really matter if there is clouding on the Netflix Log-In Screen as long as I can't notice it when tv/movies are playing. My main fear is sticking with the HU9000 and then the new 4k Panasonics come out and then that's the best tv on the market for the same price.


chances of that are slim, both on the price, and their 2013 disappointment

vega509 is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Member
 
PeterDoubt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

4K Webcast Scheduled for May 7th:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/opera-4k-201405063763.htm


Unfortunately I missed it - didn't realize til now that it was 7pm central Europe time. Could've used a heads up rolleyes.gifwink.gif
PeterDoubt is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,710
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Well my F8500 plasma just came today. It really does blow the 8550 out of the water. Obviously house of cards in 4k is phenomenal on the 8550, but everything else is better on the plasma. It literally took less than 5 minutes of side by side comparison to realize it. It was $200 cheaper too; I am much happier biggrin.gif
Mattopotamus is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 7,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

There are no LED/LCD Displays on the market with No Clouding or some edge,light , or corner bleed. It the nature of the technology. No one has it and anyone that says they do, just ask them to pony up the bet money and I will find it. Some have a lot less than others, but they all have it.
The ones with full array / direct view backlights instead of edgelights will certainly be less likely to have non-uniform black screen performance though. Even Samsung is going back to direct view backlights on more of their TVs for 2014.

Which ones?
fafrd is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2375 Post(s)
Liked: 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Which ones?
H6300/H6350 are direct view / full array without local dimming.
Stereodude is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 7,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Which ones?
H6300/H6350 are direct view / full array without local dimming.

Didn't realize that. But the 2014 flagship models (hu8550 and hu9000) are both edge-lit pseudo local dimming, right?

How thick are the 6300/6350?

Hard to see why Samsung did not introduce some dimming on a direct-lit panel (unless there is some patent issue or somesuch)...
fafrd is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2375 Post(s)
Liked: 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Didn't realize that. But the 2014 flagship models (hu8550 and hu9000) are both edge-lit pseudo local dimming, right?
Yes
Quote:
How thick are the 6300/6350?
They're about 1/2" to 3/4" thicker than the F6300/F6350 (2013 model) which was edgelit. I saw them at my local Costco over the weekend. They're not very thick. Similar to the 2014 Vizio E series.
Quote:
Hard to see why Samsung did not introduce some dimming on a direct-lit panel (unless there is some patent issue or somesuch)...
I bet we see some FALD sets from Samsung for 2015.
Stereodude is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 7,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

How thick are the 6300/6350?
They're about 1/2" to 3/4" thicker than the F6300/F6350 (2013 model) which was edgelit. I saw them at my local Costco over the weekend. They're not very thick. Similar to the 2014 Vizio E series.

The E-Series are supposed to have a pretty good image largely because the use of the limited-zone-dimming is not at all very aggressive (dimming rarely gets activated). It will be interesting to see how the PQ of the 2014 6300/6500 compare to the Vizio E-Series if they are also back-lit.
fafrd is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Ahzari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Brief comparison between the 8550 and 9000 for those still on the fence.

http://www.ledtvcomparisons.com/samsung-un65hu8550-vs-samsung-un65hu9000-review/

Audio: Yamaha A-S1000 Stereo Amp // Kef LS50s // Dual JL Audio e112
Analog:Pro-Ject RM5.1SE Turntable // Pro-Ject Tube Box II SE Phono Amp // Pro-ject Speed Box II
Video: Samsung 65' HU9000 UHD // Oppo BDP-105 // Apple TV (4G - 64gb)
Power: Furman PST-8 AC Power Conditioner
Ahzari is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 7,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahzari View Post

Brief comparison between the 8550 and 9000 for those still on the fence.

http://www.ledtvcomparisons.com/samsung-un65hu8550-vs-samsung-un65hu9000-review/

Interesting - 'About Us' says: www.ledtvcomparisons.com compares and reviews about LED TV that existed on the market. All of our comparisons are based on the hours of research we do to find customer comments and reviews about each product. We put of all that in one place so you don’t have to do the research your self

But the Home Page has only the 'Samsung UN65HU8550 vs Samsung UN65HU9000 Review' published today.

Looks to me like they are a Samsung shill with the goal of getting as many interested customers to shell out the additional $1000 for the 65HU9000 as possible...
fafrd is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2375 Post(s)
Liked: 1528
That's a worthless site. They don't even attempt to evaluate them. Just compare the specs and make some sweeping statements.
Stereodude is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 14,112
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1286 Post(s)
Liked: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Yes
They're about 1/2" to 3/4" thicker than the F6300/F6350 (2013 model) which was edgelit. I saw them at my local Costco over the weekend. They're not very thick. Similar to the 2014 Vizio E series.
I bet we see some FALD sets from Samsung for 2015.
If they pay Sharp off the can........They lost a lawsuit and that is why Samsung does not make FALD LED's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

H6300/H6350 are direct view / full array without local dimming.
Yep, there for I bet the test just like an edge lit unit other wise they would be far, far more in price.

Lets face it, FALD may not be perfect, however the FALD sets are "usually" the best LED's made.......
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
tubby497's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

If they pay Sharp off the can........They lost a lawsuit and that is why Samsung does not make FALD LED's.
Yep, there for I bet the test just like an edge lit unit other wise they would be far, far more in price.

Lets face it, FALD may not be perfect, however the FALD sets are "usually" the best LED's made.......

Really! I didn't know Sharp holds the patents for FALD technology!

But what about these ridiculously expensive 4kS9 series UHD's? These are full array. Maybe Samsung does pay royalties to Sharp for these particular FALD models.
tubby497 is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2375 Post(s)
Liked: 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

If they pay Sharp off the can........They lost a lawsuit and that is why Samsung does not make FALD LED's.
That's not true. The patents in the suit had nothing to do with backlights.

This thread covers the topic in detail.
Quote:
Yep, there for I bet the test just like an edge lit unit other wise they would be far, far more in price.
They should be more uniform with no flashlighting and perhaps less clouding.
Stereodude is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
doctorwizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: MD
Posts: 1,162
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

It was both. I had already done a tv reset that didn't work. When they reset the apps the tv was reset also.

I reset my TV and then Amazon worked fine. I never had any problems with Netflix.
doctorwizz is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 07:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Ahzari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Interesting - 'About Us' says: www.ledtvcomparisons.com compares and reviews about LED TV that existed on the market. All of our comparisons are based on the hours of research we do to find customer comments and reviews about each product. We put of all that in one place so you don’t have to do the research your self

But the Home Page has only the 'Samsung UN65HU8550 vs Samsung UN65HU9000 Review' published today.

Looks to me like they are a Samsung shill with the goal of getting as many interested customers to shell out the additional $1000 for the 65HU9000 as possible...

Didn't take a in depth read but thought I would share it and let others take whatever they wanted from it. Having seen both sets the HU9000 outperforms the 8550 and to me it was worth the extra $1k. So if a customer is looking for the best quality TV I think its probably a good idea that they know the specs for it - especially since the question has arisen a few times on what the hardware/software differences are between the 2 sets a few times on this and the HU9000 thread.

Audio: Yamaha A-S1000 Stereo Amp // Kef LS50s // Dual JL Audio e112
Analog:Pro-Ject RM5.1SE Turntable // Pro-Ject Tube Box II SE Phono Amp // Pro-ject Speed Box II
Video: Samsung 65' HU9000 UHD // Oppo BDP-105 // Apple TV (4G - 64gb)
Power: Furman PST-8 AC Power Conditioner
Ahzari is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTVAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 2,176
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahzari View Post

Brief comparison between the 8550 and 9000 for those still on the fence.

http://www.ledtvcomparisons.com/samsung-un65hu8550-vs-samsung-un65hu9000-review/

 

It is true (at least to me) that the 9000 seemed to have a bigger screen/viewing area because of the curve...


Samsung 78 HU9000 or LG 79/84 UB9800 or Sony XBR-75X940C (2015)
Panasonic 65VT60
Panasonic 65VT25

Pioneer Elite SC-37
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
HDTVAV is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Member
 
fonz5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Guys. I'm freaking out now. After watching some breaking bad on netflix tonight, I am almost dreading my replacement HU9000 coming tomorrow. The clouding and spotlights coming out of the bottom two corners is horrible. Do none of you have that? I know that a lot of people on here buy the new tv every year, but to me, this purchase is a big one and I have to be happy with it for quite a few years. If the replacement comes and the light bleed is still as bad as this tv, there is no way I can go with Samsung this year. And I already sold my other tv. Crap. And I have been Samsung loyal for years.
fonz5000 is offline  
Old 05-07-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTVAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 2,176
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonz5000 View Post

Guys. I'm freaking out now. After watching some breaking bad on netflix tonight, I am almost dreading my replacement HU9000 coming tomorrow. The clouding and spotlights coming out of the bottom two corners is horrible. Do none of you have that? I know that a lot of people on here buy the new tv every year, but to me, this purchase is a big one and I have to be happy with it for quite a few years. If the replacement comes and the light bleed is still as bad as this tv, there is no way I can go with Samsung this year. And I already sold my other tv. Crap. And I have been Samsung loyal for years.

 

Seems like this is more common with the new curved design than anyone of us would want.


Samsung 78 HU9000 or LG 79/84 UB9800 or Sony XBR-75X940C (2015)
Panasonic 65VT60
Panasonic 65VT25

Pioneer Elite SC-37
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
HDTVAV is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
samsung u8550 , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv
taboola here
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off