OFFICIAL Samsung 4k HU8550 and HU9000 thread - Page 38 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1111 of 6058 Old 05-07-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTVAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 1,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonz5000 View Post

Guys. I'm freaking out now. After watching some breaking bad on netflix tonight, I am almost dreading my replacement HU9000 coming tomorrow. The clouding and spotlights coming out of the bottom two corners is horrible. Do none of you have that? I know that a lot of people on here buy the new tv every year, but to me, this purchase is a big one and I have to be happy with it for quite a few years. If the replacement comes and the light bleed is still as bad as this tv, there is no way I can go with Samsung this year. And I already sold my other tv. Crap. And I have been Samsung loyal for years.

 

Seems like this is more common with the new curved design than anyone of us would want.

HDTVAV is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1112 of 6058 Old 05-07-2014, 09:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Ahzari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

It is true (at least to me) that the 9000 seemed to have a bigger screen/viewing area because of the curve...

Yea my girlfriend and I instantly noticed this (were kind of amazed by it) the F9000 from last year was sitting right next to the HU9000 and we both thought it was a larger screen size than the 65in F9000 until we went up and read the specs. The curve does work wonders surprisingly.

Audio: Yamaha A-S1000 Stereo Amplifier // Kef LS50 Speakers // Energy EW8 Subwoofer
Video: Samsung 65in HU9000 UHD TV // Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray player // Apple TV (3G)
Power: Furman PST-8 AC Power Conditioner
Headphones: Bose AE2W // Klipsch Image x10
Ahzari is offline  
post #1113 of 6058 Old 05-07-2014, 10:03 PM
Member
 
irwando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonz5000 View Post

Guys. I'm freaking out now. After watching some breaking bad on netflix tonight, I am almost dreading my replacement HU9000 coming tomorrow. The clouding and spotlights coming out of the bottom two corners is horrible. Do none of you have that? I know that a lot of people on here buy the new tv every year, but to me, this purchase is a big one and I have to be happy with it for quite a few years. If the replacement comes and the light bleed is still as bad as this tv, there is no way I can go with Samsung this year. And I already sold my other tv. Crap. And I have been Samsung loyal for years.

Haven't noticed any significant issues with my HU9000, beautiful picture all around.
irwando is online now  
post #1114 of 6058 Old 05-07-2014, 10:06 PM
Member
 
laggerific's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What is the response time of these displays? I can't find this detail anywhere through google. I have a 240hz display with, I believe, a 2ms response time, and I would hate to go backwards in that regard.
laggerific is offline  
post #1115 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 06:58 AM
Member
 
Gusnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Heads up, there is a new software update for the HU9000. When you update on the TV, it refers to version 1124. On the website it reads version 1123.5.



This firmware is for TV Model(s): LED HU9000The version is 1123.5This firmware update will improve the following:

- Improved usability

- Improved stability

- Improved usability of input devices
tontondavid likes this.
Gusnyc is offline  
post #1116 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by laggerific View Post

What is the response time of these displays? I can't find this detail anywhere through google. I have a 240hz display with, I believe, a 2ms response time, and I would hate to go backwards in that regard.

I may be wrong, but I cannot think of a single tv with a 2ms response time. That is PC monitor speed.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #1117 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
iatacs19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 1,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post

I may be wrong, but I cannot think of a single tv with a 2ms response time. That is PC monitor speed.

Most likely a TN panel too.
iatacs19 is offline  
post #1118 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 07:27 AM
Senior Member
 
al210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

Seems like this is more common with the new curved design than anyone of us would want.

I have some in the lower left corner. Seems to fade in and out depending what is on the screen. I am going to try some different settings and calibrations when I have a chance to see if it can be improved upon.

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" ------------- Oppo 103D for Blu Ray & SACD & DVD-A
Denon X4000 Audio Video Receiver
B&W 602 S3 & B&W HTM62 Center with Axiom QS4 surrounds ---------- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER
al210 is offline  
post #1119 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 09:11 AM
Member
 
laggerific's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm not sure if it's an official response time number, but I've seen 4ms quoted for 120Hz TVs and 2ms quoted for 240Hz TVs. I have the 46 and 55 inch D8000, such as this: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55D8000-55-Inch-1080p-Silver/dp/B004N866SU

If you search for response time on that page, it says 2ms. I do know that the 120Hz TV I used to have prior had horrible ghosting in high-contrast gaming (see Super Mario Bros. 3, with the bold black outlines of Mario against the light backgrounds). The D8000 was a dramatic improvement running at 240Hz. This leads me to be concerned with the Samsungs 120Hz limitation on their new UHD displays.

I'm starting to look at the LG 65UB9500, which is sounding awesome on paper...and as a fan of 3D and someone highly sensitive to flicker, would love to enjoy 3D using passive devices (plus, if their marketing is true, they eliminated ghosting/crosstalk). But, what really drew my attention was that they are 240Hz.
laggerific is offline  
post #1120 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by laggerific View Post

I'm not sure if it's an official response time number, but I've seen 4ms quoted for 120Hz TVs and 2ms quoted for 240Hz TVs. I have the 46 and 55 inch D8000, such as this: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55D8000-55-Inch-1080p-Silver/dp/B004N866SU

If you search for response time on that page, it says 2ms. I do know that the 120Hz TV I used to have prior had horrible ghosting in high-contrast gaming (see Super Mario Bros. 3, with the bold black outlines of Mario against the light backgrounds). The D8000 was a dramatic improvement running at 240Hz. This leads me to be concerned with the Samsungs 120Hz limitation on their new UHD displays.

I'm starting to look at the LG 65UB9500, which is sounding awesome on paper...and as a fan of 3D and someone highly sensitive to flicker, would love to enjoy 3D using passive devices (plus, if their marketing is true, they eliminated ghosting/crosstalk). But, what really drew my attention was that they are 240Hz.

Those repose times are probably for PC monitors running 120hz. A great response time for TVs is around 20ms, and I think only sony's and panasonic plasmas have them that low. Most tvs run between 30-40ms
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #1121 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,279
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

That's not true. The patents in the suit had nothing to do with backlights.

This thread covers the topic in detail.
Its amazing that right after that lawsuit Samsung did not make a FALD set again till the 84". There has to be something in there about it, or just a total coincidence. Imagine how many FALD set Samsung could have sold...........
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #1122 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Member
 
laggerific's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post

Those repose times are probably for PC monitors running 120hz. A great response time for TVs is around 20ms, and I think only sony's and panasonic plasmas have them that low. Most tvs run between 30-40ms

That doesn't make sense to me, and I wonder if we are talking about different things. According to this link, it is referring specifically to a 1080p HDTV when it mentions the response time: http://www.smartreview.com/samsung-un55d8000-55-inch-1080p-240hz-3d-led-hdtv

Of course, I don't see response time mentioned in any official capacity, and I really wish that Samsung would list that info, as it is quite relevant to my purchasing decision, though I assume they don't like to mention it because it makes them look bad...not sure. Now here is some official info from LG for an older HDTV: http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-42LD520-lcd-tv

It specifically mentions a response time, which seems pretty impressive for a 120Hz display of 2.4ms, which seems quite better than the 20ms you mention, and is in reference to a TV, not a monitor.
laggerific is offline  
post #1123 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 11:37 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 113
The 30-40ms discussed above is "lag time". It is critical for "lip sync" issues when you don't have appropriate adjustments available and I'm sure would also affect gaming. Its the time between input of a signal and seeing it on the screen. Normally caused by video processing.

"Response time" (e.g., 2.4ms discussed above) in my non-technical mind has something to do with the time it takes for individual pixels to change whatever they are showing. Slow response times are shown by "blurring" during motion.
jhughy2010 likes this.
rlb is offline  
post #1124 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 11:48 AM
Member
 
twssas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Recieved my 65" 8550 today, and it appears to be issue free! Even cable broadcast looks great......haven't tried all the feautures as of yet....but one reason I purchased this set was to view some great photos I have. So, I put my flash drive in, and ....wow! Pictures look fabulous. One question on viewing photos.....how do I, or can I adjust the screen to remove the black vertical bars?
twssas is offline  
post #1125 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Member
 
jimbotron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I picked up a 55" 8550 this week, and have been trying to tweak it all week.

I'm getting about a 40-50ms audio lag with my Oppo BDP-93. I set my Denon AVR to delay the audio, so now it sounds good. If I get an Oppo BDP-103 which upscales to 4K itself, would that eliminate the audio delay? I'm guessing the TV's 4K upscaling has something to do with the delay.

The one thing I truly hate is the auto-dimming "feature". I've adjusted the settings the best I could to eliminate it without boosting the brightness too much. I looked online, and it looks like previous models turned off auto-dimming when in Movie mode, but for me, the LEDs shut off when the screen is blank, even in Movie mode. I've had to set the brightness to 50 for it to disable. I then tweaked the white balance to eliminate some of the clouding.

Is there a hidden settings menu somewhere where auto-dimming can be disabled? When I set the TV up on Tuesday, it updated the firmware to the current version. What settings do you use to eliminate the auto-dimming without adding clouding?

Is auto-dimming supposed to be disabled in Movie mode, and if so, then how come my model is not doing it? My TV thinks HDMI1 is for my cable box, but it's for everything through my AVR. Does the TV work differently with each HDMI port depending on what it thinks is plugged into it (cable vs BD player, etc.)?
jimbotron is offline  
post #1126 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Member
 
laggerific's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

The 30-40ms discussed above is "lag time". It is critical for "lip sync" issues when you don't have appropriate adjustments available and I'm sure would also affect gaming. Its the time between input of a signal and seeing it on the screen. Normally caused by video processing.

"Response time" (e.g., 2.4ms discussed above) in my non-technical mind has something to do with the time it takes for individual pixels to change whatever they are showing. Slow response times are shown by "blurring" during motion.

Ah, I figured we were talking about two different things. I am definitely talking about pixel refresh. I just wish Samsung would tell us straight up.

Anyone going from a 240Hz display to these 120Hz UHDs notice anything? I'm sure Hockey is a key sport where this would be relevant, because the black puck on white ice would exhibit ghosting extremely easily.
laggerific is offline  
post #1127 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Member
 
laggerific's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbotron View Post

I picked up a 55" 8550 this week, and have been trying to tweak it all week.

I'm getting about a 40-50ms audio lag with my Oppo BDP-93. I set my Denon AVR to delay the audio, so now it sounds good. If I get an Oppo BDP-103 which upscales to 4K itself, would that eliminate the audio delay? I'm guessing the TV's 4K upscaling has something to do with the delay.

The one thing I truly hate is the auto-dimming "feature". I've adjusted the settings the best I could to eliminate it without boosting the brightness too much. I looked online, and it looks like previous models turned off auto-dimming when in Movie mode, but for me, the LEDs shut off when the screen is blank, even in Movie mode. I've had to set the brightness to 50 for it to disable. I then tweaked the white balance to eliminate some of the clouding.

Is there a hidden settings menu somewhere where auto-dimming can be disabled? When I set the TV up on Tuesday, it updated the firmware to the current version. What settings do you use to eliminate the auto-dimming without adding clouding?

Is auto-dimming supposed to be disabled in Movie mode, and if so, then how come my model is not doing it? My TV thinks HDMI1 is for my cable box, but it's for everything through my AVR. Does the TV work differently with each HDMI port depending on what it thinks is plugged into it (cable vs BD player, etc.)?

That's a good question. I've heard that if you name your input PC it will disable some features (dimming might be one of them, not sure), but I am not aware of it interpreting any other input names uniquely.
jimbotron likes this.
laggerific is offline  
post #1128 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Newbie
 
Rolex John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up my 65" UN65HU8550F last weekend. A few things:

Is there an FAQ anywhere with preferred/optimal settings? Right now, the blacks can look a bit too dark/murky in some night time/low light scenes.

The Amazon Prime movie app has quit working on me. Is there a fix for this?

The Auto Dimming feature seems to kick in/darken at the oddest times. Does it key off of room lighting or content? Are there settings to control it?

The difference between how things look on this TV and my last (which was a 1080P Sony) is....jarring. It's hard to describe, but I liken it to how the look of "film" vs. say how a soap opera looks...live vs. movie. Now all my HD shows have that live/soap opera "realistic" look. Weird.
Rolex John is offline  
post #1129 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Member
 
twssas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Another question....on the 8550, how get sound while viewing samsung apps......I am running audio out to external speakers
twssas is offline  
post #1130 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 01:24 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex John View Post

The Auto Dimming feature seems to kick in/darken at the oddest times. Does it key off of room lighting or content? Are there settings to control it?

On the F9000 there is a picture function/option called "Dynamic Contrast" that automatically adjusts contrast (lights and darks). If you have it on your set, suggest you try turning it "off".

Also under menu/system/eco solution there is a function on the F9000 that adjusts screen brightness as room brightness changes. Suggest you ensure that it is turned off.
rlb is offline  
post #1131 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Member
 
jimbotron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
On my 8550, the auto-dimming is triggered by the screen going blank, which typically happens at a commercial break, a fade to black, or during opening/closing titles. I have all the Eco stuff turned off, as well as dynamic contrast. The ONLY way I can figure to turn it off is to increase the brightness. At brightness 50, it's a bit too bright for me, and clouding is visible when watching movies in 2.35:1. The TV has an internal threshold for brightness, and once that threshold is crossed and it deems the screen too dark, the LEDs turn off.

I dropped $2500 on a TV that should be leaps and bounds better than my old 46" Toshiba from 2008, but so far, I miss my old TV.
jimbotron is offline  
post #1132 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Newbie
 
KatotterFGCU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So about to pull the trigger on either the 8550 or the 9000.


Was pretty set in the 8550 but I'm concerned about a couple things.


One I am seeing in here that curved makes the screen appear larger. Which is enticing as I thought curved was more of a gimmick.

Two, I am seeing the 9000 has ultimate micro dimming where the 8550 doesn't seem to?

Any other major differences?

I'm upgrading from a 55" D8000 to a 65" 8550-9000.
KatotterFGCU is offline  
post #1133 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 01:56 PM
Member
 
jimbotron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatotterFGCU View Post

So about to pull the trigger on either the 8550 or the 9000.


Was pretty set in the 8550 but I'm concerned about a couple things.


One I am seeing in here that curved makes the screen appear larger. Which is enticing as I thought curved was more of a gimmick.

Two, I am seeing the 9000 has ultimate micro dimming where the 8550 doesn't seem to?

Any other major differences?

I'm upgrading from a 55" D8000 to a 65" 8550-9000.

According to the specs, the 8550 and 9000 have the same dimming features. One Amazon review mentions that the 9000 has more local dimming zones than the 8550, so that probably helps. I'm less than pleased so far with the 8550 because of the unwanted auto-dimming.
jimbotron is offline  
post #1134 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 02:00 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatotterFGCU View Post

So about to pull the trigger on either the 8550 or the 9000.


Was pretty set in the 8550 but I'm concerned about a couple things.


One I am seeing in here that curved makes the screen appear larger. Which is enticing as I thought curved was more of a gimmick.

Two, I am seeing the 9000 has ultimate micro dimming where the 8550 doesn't seem to?

Any other major differences?

I'm upgrading from a 55" D8000 to a 65" 8550-9000.

9000 has PurColor and Auto Depth Enhancer. It also has a one connect box with a processor (Quad Core Plus) that is approximately 50% faster than the 8550's processor (Quad Core). Some reviewers say the faster processor provides superior upconversion.
Bill likes this.
rlb is offline  
post #1135 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 02:08 PM
Member
 
x3sphere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbotron View Post

On my 8550, the auto-dimming is triggered by the screen going blank, which typically happens at a commercial break, a fade to black, or during opening/closing titles. I have all the Eco stuff turned off, as well as dynamic contrast. The ONLY way I can figure to turn it off is to increase the brightness. At brightness 50, it's a bit too bright for me, and clouding is visible when watching movies in 2.35:1. The TV has an internal threshold for brightness, and once that threshold is crossed and it deems the screen too dark, the LEDs turn off.

I dropped $2500 on a TV that should be leaps and bounds better than my old 46" Toshiba from 2008, but so far, I miss my old TV.

Could try renaming the input to Game and see if that disables it.

x3sphere is offline  
post #1136 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Newbie
 
KatotterFGCU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

9000 has PurColor and Auto Depth Enhancer. It also has a one connect box with a processor (Quad Core Plus) that is approximately 50% faster than the 8550's processor (Quad Core). Some reviewers say the faster processor provides superior upconversion.


I see.


So the 8550 does not have the upgradeable box like the F9000? Or am I mixing up the one connect box with something else?


I trust this forum more than random reviewers on amazon. Is the 9000 worth it over the 8550? And is the curve a hindrance or a benefit?


Was just in best buy looking at the 9000 playing Pacific Rim on Bluray and it looked fantastic. The curve didn't really bother me at all, so if it really does make the screen look bigger that could be a plus for me.


The 8550 was hooked up across the store with some sub HD content playing, so couldn't judge it or compare it at all really.


Better upscaling is also of interest consisting 95% of my content will be 1080p for a good while. Have a PS4 and an Xbox One connected, so my only 4K content will be coming from my PC until I can start buying some nice 4k blu rays.


Also does the curve enhance 3D?
KatotterFGCU is offline  
post #1137 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Member
 
Gusnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatotterFGCU View Post

I see.


So the 8550 does not have the upgradeable box like the F9000? Or am I mixing up the one connect box with something else?


Is the curve a hindrance or a benefit?

Also does the curve enhance 3D?

The 8550 doesn't come with the One Connect box, but the TV set HAS a connector for it. It can be used with next year One Connect to upgrade the set.

I have the 9000 in 65''. I wasn't thrilled about having a curved TV, but after a couple of weeks, I think it enhances the experience of watching TV. It is subtle, but the image has more depth. Now I miss the curve when I watch the other TV (a 55' Sony).
Gusnyc is offline  
post #1138 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Member
 
jimbotron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So for the 8550, a future One Connect box will act as an external hardware upgrade to bring it more in line with the 9000 and beyond? It includes all the added bells and whistles like improved processor, improved upscaling and additional HDMI 2.0 ports?
jimbotron is offline  
post #1139 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CBdicX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hello from Holland !
Posts: 1,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Even the most reviewers say the i my case 65U8500 Curved (think its the US HU9000) has near perfect motion handeling, i see sometimes strange effects.
(My previous Sharp 60 inch Full HD did not have this "problem")
On the start of a motion, special horizontal, and sometimes vertical, the picture makes a small jump, like the tv needs to react but is just a 10th of a second to late.
I tride the 4 motion handeling options, but no change.
Put all the picture handeling options to OFF, but no change.

As mentioned, on the previous Sharp no problems like this, it had different handeling problems, like a blured ball in soccer games, but no motion start jumps.

Do any of jou have this same problem ?

Thx......
CBdicX is offline  
post #1140 of 6058 Old 05-08-2014, 07:42 PM
Member
 
ANEWMadrid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbotron View Post

So for the 8550, a future One Connect box will act as an external hardware upgrade to bring it more in line with the 9000 and beyond? It includes all the added bells and whistles like improved processor, improved upscaling and additional HDMI 2.0 ports?

It doesn't need a one connect box. Has all the prereqs inside. It does have a port for the OCB for when a new API and OS become available. Hdtvtest.co.uk just did a review on it. May be useful for you.
ANEWMadrid is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
samsung u8550 , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off