Forum Jump: 

post #1231 of 5669 Old 05-12-2014, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sphere View Post

Well, turning the anti-judder up for 30FPS games doesn't work too well, introduces a lot of motion artifacts (you can usually see a blurry outline on anything that is moving). But the judder settings are disabled anyway when LED Clear Motion is on.

Also yeah, input renamed to PC offers the lowest input lag in my experience. A few more settings are disabled with the PC input like Smart LED, but can't say I noticed much of a PQ difference over Game once the brightness, contrast etc values were properly tuned. 

i want to share my experience about the input lag with who care about this issue, when i first bought this tv i tried game mode and also rename my input to game though i didn't notice any significant lag but its does lag a little compare to my previous tv "d8000". but after the may 8 firmware, at first its still the same but then i reset the tv then use same setting again i noticed the input lag is way better, i fell like its the same with my previous tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 5669 Old 05-12-2014, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pxtreme View Post

Menu>system>general>game mode

Thanks, found it.....will give it a try.
post #1233 of 5669 Old 05-12-2014, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post

I may be wrong, but I think game mode severely hurts Picture quality.

I thought it would but with a bit of tweaking and playing with the settings you can get a brilliant picture, really good, with no judder.
post #1234 of 5669 Old 05-12-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pxtreme View Post

I thought it would but with a bit of tweaking and playing with the settings you can get a brilliant picture, really good, with no judder.

From what I've seen, the default Game mode is awful (same with Dynamic), but you can improve it greatly by decreasing the sharpness, brightness, and effects. After that, it looks good and is useful.
post #1235 of 5669 Old 05-12-2014, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbotron View Post

From what I've seen, the default Game mode is awful (same with Dynamic), but you can improve it greatly by decreasing the sharpness, brightness, and effects. After that, it looks good and is useful.

Agreed. smile.gif
post #1236 of 5669 Old 05-12-2014, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19

Yup, the default settings for Game mode are awful, like 50 sharpness and super bright. Don't know why they use presets like that.

post #1237 of 5669 Old 05-12-2014, 02:33 PM

I had to turn off Smart LED because it wasn't very smart.

I've been using Star Trek TNG for testing because it often has bright colors and deep blacks. If I leave Smart LED on, even on low, then when the image rapidly changes from pure white to nearly full black, the TV can't handle it. I found two screencaps where it has trouble:

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x01/farpoint_hd_041.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x01/farpoint_hd_042.jpg

So it begins with the whole screen flashing white, then the ship gets smaller in frame and the image is fairly dark. The TV doesn't know what's going on, so the image completely dims out. Stars are gone, the Enterprise is gone. Then there's a secondary flash http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x01/farpoint_hd_021.jpg (not the same shot, but same idea), where the image pops back on screen. If anyone has TNG, I recommend they give it a try as well.
post #1238 of 5669 Old 05-12-2014, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Well now I set judder to zero. It got rid of the facial artifacts that I was seeing in 24P sources. I don't see them with judder set under 6. I'll leave it at zero. And turn it up for sports.

Samsung 65" HU8550 - TS01, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE speakers x 7, DefTech ProSub 1000 x 2
WDTV Live, Roku 3, Amazon FireTV, LG BD390 Bluray, WiiU,
DishTV Hopper w/Sling, Self Made PC, AMD FX8350, 16GB Ram, LG 16x BD-RW
Zotac GTX 970, Gigabyte GTX-750Ti 2GB, 3840x2160@60Hz , Asus AC-68 Router
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD, Samsung HD204Ui 2TB, 3 UPS's
post #1239 of 5669 Old 05-12-2014, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sphere View Post

Yup, the default settings for Game mode are awful, like 50 sharpness and super bright. Don't know why they use presets like that.

So people who have it set up with full sun on the screen don't call up and say "I don't have any picture".  They started doing this on computer monitors back in early 90's, thought I was going to be blinded the first time I unboxed one set this way.

post #1240 of 5669 Old 05-12-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostonmountain View Post

So people who have it set up with full sun on the screen don't call up and say "I don't have any picture".  They started doing this on computer monitors back in early 90's, thought I was going to be blinded the first time I unboxed one set this way.

Lots of people who are serious about gaming, mainly PC, always have gamma and brightness full so there are no dark spots.
post #1241 of 5669 Old 05-12-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post

Lots of people who are serious about gaming, mainly PC, always have gamma and brightness full so there are no dark spots.

They don't do this just for game mode, they do it for the default too.

post #1242 of 5669 Old 05-12-2014, 09:54 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by teerexx52 View Post

I have a new 55" HU8550.  Netflix has been giving me problems.  I get a message that says that it cannot play the content and to try again later.  After several calls to Samsung and chats with tech they can get it to work for a bit but ultimately it goes back to the same message. My connection tests out fine and Netflix works fine on my Apple TV. Has anyone found a way to fix this?  Thank you

I set the time manually and Netflix works fine. They check for the time and if you''ve got the wrong time zone or are off it causes problems. Found this at a couple different sites, one being the CNet Samsung support forum. Hope it helps.
post #1243 of 5669 Old 05-12-2014, 10:00 PM

[I've been noticing poor quality in dimly lit scenes - particularly bad with Comcast OnDemand. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm finally starting to delve into the specifics of the available settings. Sure wish there was a good manual. Their phone support was pitiful the one time I called.
I'd really like to see someone with the know-how do a Wiki on this line...please?m:D Pretty Please?
post #1244 of 5669 Old 05-12-2014, 10:30 PM

Liked: 17
Don't know if it was said already but the set has built in 4k demo.

Just go to support then use mode and select store demo wink.gif

Again if this was said forgive me just throwing it out there.

tj8xp.........
tontondavid likes this.

I like my HDTV but I LOVE My Ferrari !!!!
post #1245 of 5669 Old 05-12-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj8xp View Post

Don't know if it was said already but the set has built in 4k demo.

Just go to support then use mode and select store demo wink.gif

Again if this was said forgive me just throwing it out there.

tj8xp.........

I clicked on it, but it warned me that it would reset the picture settings every 5 minutes. Not interested in recalibrating the picture modes. I downloaded some decent 4K demo videos off Vimeo.

I saw this TV on display at Best Buy. Is it the nature video with the lake and mountains?
post #1246 of 5669 Old 05-12-2014, 10:50 PM

Liked: 17
Yes it's what plays in store

I like my HDTV but I LOVE My Ferrari !!!!
post #1247 of 5669 Old 05-13-2014, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Hi Guys

I've just joined AVS, and this is my first post on this forum.

I'm looking to buy either the 65" HU8550 (HU7500 here in the UK), or the HU9000 curved one.

I watch a lot of sports, so Motion Blur / Judder are really crucial to my decision.

Everyone on this forum is convinced both these sets have a Panel Refresh Rate of 120Hz,

but according to the reliable site below, they both have 240Hz panels:

http://www.rtings.com/info/fake-refresh-rates-samsung-clear-motion-rate-vs-sony-motionflow-vs-lg-trumotion

Reading the entire thread, the consensus of the opinion seems to be HU9000 has better Motion Handling

and less Judder, although not Judder-free.

I currently have a 65" F8000, which I love, I think its the best LED TV ever, and wouldn't even contemplate

changing it but for the dreaded Vertical Banding, which although much improved over ES8000 65", is still

present.  Most of the time, even when watching sports, you don't notice it, unless you look for it.

ES8000 had dreadful VB, but F8000 has improved it immensely, but its definitely still there.

Can the owners of these two set in 65" tell me if there's any Vertical Banding?  I'm hoping with the

latest technology, better panels (in theory anyway!) and 4K resolution, Samsung have once and for all managed

to rid their 65"+ panels of VB!

Many thanks for your help.

post #1248 of 5669 Old 05-13-2014, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post

Well now I set judder to zero. It got rid of the facial artifacts that I was seeing in 24P sources. I don't see them with judder set under 6. I'll leave it at zero. And turn it up for sports.
well I use a non 4k. However it's 240hz. That being said in standard mode with no judder and blur reduction turned all the way up I can play xbox one call of duty and battlefield games with no issue.
post #1249 of 5669 Old 05-13-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDoubt View Post

I set the time manually and Netflix works fine. They check for the time and if you''ve got the wrong time zone or are off it causes problems. Found this at a couple different sites, one being the CNet Samsung support forum. Hope it helps.

So I'm wondering how this would affect me, my Internet connects through 4g wireless.  So sometimes web sites think I'm up to three time zones away (often they think I'm in Chicago when I'm in CA, sometimes they think I'm in various places in CA or NV so that would be ok, but about 1/3 of the time I get listed on the east coast usually Chicago but I've seen NY and Atlanta too).  Why would they tie this service to your time zone?  I don't actually get Netflix just amazon prime though I keep getting tempted to join Netflix, but I see people have trouble with prime too though it works fine on my PC and PS4 no matter what time zone they think I'm in.  Guess I could just use the PS4 since I don't have the bandwidth for UHD anyway but it would be nice not to have to use it, anything else I'd be missing not using the TV app?  I can't really see having to change the time on the TV every time it thinks I'm in the wrong zone what a PITA.

post #1250 of 5669 Old 05-13-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostonmountain View Post

So I'm wondering how this would affect me, my Internet connects through 4g wireless.  So sometimes web sites think I'm up to three time zones away (often they think I'm in Chicago when I'm in CA, sometimes they think I'm in various places in CA or NV so that would be ok, but about 1/3 of the time I get listed on the east coast usually Chicago but I've seen NY and Atlanta too).  Why would they tie this service to your time zone?  I don't actually get Netflix just amazon prime though I keep getting tempted to join Netflix, but I see people have trouble with prime too though it works fine on my PC and PS4 no matter what time zone they think I'm in.  Guess I could just use the PS4 since I don't have the bandwidth for UHD anyway but it would be nice not to have to use it, anything else I'd be missing not using the TV app?  I can't really see having to change the time on the TV every time it thinks I'm in the wrong zone what a PITA.

Pretty sure you just turn off auto time set. Once you set your time zone it stays there.
post #1251 of 5669 Old 05-13-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossta View Post

Can the owners of these two set in 65" tell me if there's any Vertical Banding?  I'm hoping with the
latest technology, better panels (in theory anyway!) and 4K resolution, Samsung have once and for all managed
to rid their 65"+ panels of VB!
I do not hear or see many complaints about banding, however it is part of edge lit technology to some degree. So until edge lit technology is used no more, there will be banding. As of right now, there really is nothing worth raving about that is out there that is not edge lit.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #1252 of 5669 Old 05-13-2014, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I do not hear or see many complaints about banding, however it is part of edge lit technology to some degree. So until edge lit technology is used no more, there will be banding. As of right now, there really is nothing worth raving about that is out there that is not edge lit.

It seems to only be an issue for screen sizes of 65"+.  Neither F8000, nor ES8000 (which had truly dreadful banding on its 65" screens) had any VB on their 55" or 60" screens.

I'm not sure why, perhaps Samsung use different panels for larger screens.

post #1253 of 5669 Old 05-13-2014, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Mine is very minimal at best and I very very rarely see any. Not an issue in my book. The biggest issues are with clouding/light bleed and motion not banding IMO.

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" ------------- Oppo 103D for Blu Ray & SACD & DVD-A
Denon X4000 Audio Video Receiver
B&W 602 S3 & B&W HTM62 Center with Axiom QS4 surrounds ---------- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER
post #1254 of 5669 Old 05-13-2014, 10:50 AM

Does the optical connection on the 8550 pass dts audio?

post #1255 of 5669 Old 05-13-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDoubt View Post

Pretty sure you just turn off auto time set. Once you set your time zone it stays there.

I forgot about broadcast.  I live where there is no off air TV (or cable) and never has been even pre-digital, I bet it's if the broadcast says one thing and the TV is set to another is that it?  Wouldn't apply to me then I always have to set time on things either via the internet or manually (well ok I do get radio atomic clock time).

post #1256 of 5669 Old 05-13-2014, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacrae View Post

Does the optical connection on the 8550 pass dts audio?

Yes it can.

Samsung 65" HU8550 - TS01, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE speakers x 7, DefTech ProSub 1000 x 2
WDTV Live, Roku 3, Amazon FireTV, LG BD390 Bluray, WiiU,
DishTV Hopper w/Sling, Self Made PC, AMD FX8350, 16GB Ram, LG 16x BD-RW
Zotac GTX 970, Gigabyte GTX-750Ti 2GB, 3840x2160@60Hz , Asus AC-68 Router
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD, Samsung HD204Ui 2TB, 3 UPS's
post #1257 of 5669 Old 05-13-2014, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post

Yes it can.

Well it depends actually. Only if it is a native app. It won't if it is an external device connected via HDMI.
post #1258 of 5669 Old 05-13-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by tontondavid View Post

Well it depends actually. Only if it is a native app. It won't if it is an external device connected via HDMI.

On a somewhat related note, sony has a new sound bar with 3 HDMI in ports and 1 out for $299. It is a sony HT-XT1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IWQREOE?pc_redir=1399869223&robot_redir=1
post #1259 of 5669 Old 05-13-2014, 11:26 AM

I have the hu7500 euro version and it has vertical banding frown.gif. Its only visible when watching football and the there is panning and when watching home videos during scenes where there is blue sky. 4 equally spaced faint lines about 2-3 cm wide. Contacted Samsung and waiting for them to get back to me. Does anyone know it this can be fixed? Im afraid if they offer to fix i will decline because i dont wants any other problems like clouding to arise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1260 of 5669 Old 05-13-2014, 11:32 AM

By the way i have the 65 inch version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
samsung u8550 , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread