post #1441 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacrae View Post

What is "normal" for light bleeding in the corners (8550)?

I have some in the lower corners...but wondering what is normal and if all have them?

The odds of getting no light bleed is pretty rare. If it does not bother you, I would just forget about it. It seems like people who do the display shuffle substitute one problem for another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Ya I just find it kinda bad for a display of this price. Does anyone here have zero bleed or flashlighting as they call it on their 8550?

post #1443 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ya I just find it kinda bad for a display of this price. Does anyone here have zero bleed or flashlighting as they call it on their 8550?

I had slight bleeding only in the bottom left. Flashing is something I just think some people notice easier than others. There are so many factors to flashing (what is on the tv, are you in a bright room, is the scene changing constantly). You could have the TV for a month and never notice flashing and then are watching something and see it. Posting a picture could be really helpful smile.gif
Lyons07 likes this.
post #1444 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 10:59 AM

dead center i have it in both lower corners

I reduced it quite a bit by making the HDMI setting to "low" on "standard" it's really bad....

post #1445 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I have some in the lower corners...but wondering what is normal and if all have them?

Like you, I have some bleeding in the lower corners, and some mild "cloudiness" on the screen, and these conditions are typical of edge lit panels. This is generally not visible with most viewing, but can sometimes be seen on very low contrast images. While shopping I viewed a couple HU8550s and a HU9000, and they all exhibited less than ideal "Screen Uniformity", which is really what we're talking about here. Screen uniformity varies from panel to panel, and some folks exchange set after set hoping to find the perfect one, but they probably won't be happy until they migrate to plasma, where this problem doesn't exist. (But then, of course, they'll have to contend with other plasma related issues...) Higher end sets like the HU8550 & HU9000 throw in more technology to mitigate screen uniformity issues to varying success, and that's why I'm curious at to whether last years top of the line F9000 incorporates some screen uniformity fixes that this years H8000 series left out. IMO, at this time, less than ideal screen uniformity is just one of the tradeoffs we need to accept with edge lit panels. Side note: "Flash lighting", where the led(s) project light onto the panel and usually can be seen during viewing are definitely a defect and shouldn't be tolerated on sets of this class!
post #1446 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post

Quote:

The odds of getting no light bleed is pretty rare. If it does not bother you, I would just forget about it. It seems like people who do the display shuffle substitute one problem for another.

This is really good advice! Every technology has its tradeoffs, and despite screen uniformity issues, there's a lot to like about these sets. Even the panel "savior" OLED has issues...
post #1447 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

dead center i have it in both lower corners

I reduced it quite a bit by making the HDMI setting to "low" on "standard" it's really bad....

Have you played with the "Smart LED" setting? It can help what you're describing.
post #1448 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 11:43 AM

i'll try smart led once home but i'm sure i played with all settings....

post #1449 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 11:44 AM

it's only apparent when there is black bars top and bottom

post #1450 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If you're going to use Smart LED, I recommend bumping Gamma to +1. When set to 0, Smart LED has been glitching out on me occasionally.

When there's something bright followed by something very dark, the LEDs were nearly going completely dark, obscuring the image. Gamma at +1 fixed that.
post #1451 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbotron View Post

If you're going to use Smart LED, I recommend bumping Gamma to +1. When set to 0, Smart LED has been glitching out on me occasionally.

When there's something bright followed by something very dark, the LEDs were nearly going completely dark, obscuring the image. Gamma at +1 fixed that.

If I remember correctly, using smart LED disables the custom motion settings right?
post #1452 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

If I remember correctly, using smart LED disables the custom motion settings right?

No, I don't believe it does that.
post #1453 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hmm. This is the curse of these forums... Sometime we don't know there's a problem until someone points it out! Anyway, I haven't noticed what you're describing when using Smart LED, but I'll be watching for it now!
post #1454 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmbond View Post

Quote:

Like you, I have some bleeding in the lower corners, and some mild "cloudiness" on the screen, and these conditions are typical of edge lit panels. This is generally not visible with most viewing, but can sometimes be seen on very low contrast images. While shopping I viewed a couple HU8550s and a HU9000, and they all exhibited less than ideal "Screen Uniformity", which is really what we're talking about here. Screen uniformity varies from panel to panel, and some folks exchange set after set hoping to find the perfect one, but they probably won't be happy until they migrate to plasma, where this problem doesn't exist. (But then, of course, they'll have to contend with other plasma related issues...) Higher end sets like the HU8550 & HU9000 throw in more technology to mitigate screen uniformity issues to varying success, and that's why I'm curious at to whether last years top of the line F9000 incorporates some screen uniformity fixes that this years H8000 series left out. IMO, at this time, less than ideal screen uniformity is just one of the tradeoffs we need to accept with edge lit panels. Side note: "Flash lighting", where the led(s) project light onto the panel and usually can be seen during viewing are definitely a defect and shouldn't be tolerated on sets of this class!

With the HU9000 65in I have had no light bleed issues and I'm OCD about panels. There is some very minor clouding only visible at 20 led lighting + dynamic picture setting, otherwise I don't notice any. I have another set on its way because I'm having other issues with my TV so let's hope my second one is also this uniform.

Audio: Yamaha A-S1000 Stereo Amp // Kef LS50s // 2x SVS SB2000 (2.2 setup)
Analog:Pro-Ject RM5.1SE Turntable // Pro-Ject Tube Box II SE Phono Amp // Pro-ject Speed Box II
Video: Samsung 65in HU9000 4k // Oppo BDP-105 // Apple TV (3G)
Power: Furman PST-8 AC Power Conditioner
post #1455 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahzari View Post

Quote:

Quote:

With the HU9000 65in I have had no light bleed issues and I'm OCD about panels. There is some very minor clouding only visible at 20 led lighting + dynamic picture setting, otherwise I don't notice any. I have another set on its way because I'm having other issues with my TV so let's hope my second one is also this uniform.

Thank you, this is helpful. What you've described is similar to how the HU9000 looked to me. Did you ever compare the F9000 to the HU9000? Anyway, good luck with the panel lotto on your replacement set. I'm a bit OCD too, and this hobby just ain't good for us!
post #1456 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 02:17 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossta View Post

As far as I know, the two models are identical except F9000 has a one-connect box & HU8500 has the connection on the back of the TV, HU8550 has HDMI 2, build in HVEC decoder etc. etc.
(all of which will probably be available for F9000 via a new one-connect box).  F9000 has build-in camera, HU8550 doesn't. There are the slight cosmetic differences too, but no difference in hardware or software (both have Quad Core processor, HU9000 has Quad Core+ which is allegedly twice as fast)

F9000 weighs 13 lbs more than the 8550, has almost double the watts output for audio, has built-in-camera. With new one connect will have the HDMI 2.0, hevc.265, etc., Quad Core plus processor as on HU9000, Cinema Black, and UHD dimming (same as on the 8550 and HU 9000), motion control and Skype (currently available on F9000).. Believe I read somewhere where the F9000 has more dimming zones than the 8550 but less than the HU9000.
post #1457 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

Quote:

As far as I know, the two models are identical except F9000 has a one-connect box & HU8500 has the connection on the back of the TV, HU8550 has HDMI 2, build in HVEC decoder etc. etc.

(all of which will probably be available for F9000 via a new one-connect box).  F9000 has build-in camera, HU8550 doesn't. There are the slight cosmetic differences too, but no difference in hardware or software (both have Quad Core processor, HU9000 has Quad Core+ which is allegedly twice as fast)

F9000 weighs 13 lbs more than the 8550, has almost double the watts output for audio, has built-in-camera. With new one connect will have the HDMI 2.0, hevc.265, etc., Quad Core plus processor as on HU9000, Cinema Black, and UHD dimming (same as on the 8550 and HU 9000), motion control and Skype (currently available on F9000).. Believe I read somewhere where the F9000 has more dimming zones than the 8550 but less than the HU9000.

Extremely helpful! Do you happen to know if "Cinema Black" is the same feature as "Smart LED?" The HU8550 has the latter, but not the former. From what I've read, they seem designed to do the same thing, but I can't get a definitive answer from anybody.
post #1458 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No, I don't believe it does that.

The custom settings are only disabled if you use some of the presets. For Movie, everything customizable, but not so with Dynamic, Standard and Natural. ..... (I think)
post #1459 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hmm. This is the curse of these forums... Sometime we don't know there's a problem until someone points it out! Anyway, I haven't noticed what you're describing when using Smart LED, but I'll be watching for it now!

I wouldn't have even known to try that. An Amazon reviewer suggested that to me, and it worked.

I noticed the issue with the Star Trek TNG Blu-ray. At the end of the opening credits, there's a part where there's a bright flash (the warp engines) followed by a dim starfield. The Smart LED setting, even on Low, made the starfield invisible. But then I adjusted Gamma to +1, and it was fixed.

I'm getting used to Smart LED, but it can get annoying if you're watching something that's 1.33:1 or 2.35:1 because the black bars tend to light up if there's something bright near the edge of frame, especially if there are subtitles. The positives outweigh the negatives though, because blacks stay darker for the most part.
post #1460 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't have even known to try that. An Amazon reviewer suggested that to me, and it worked.

I noticed the issue with the Star Trek TNG Blu-ray. At the end of the opening credits, there's a part where there's a bright flash (the warp engines) followed by a dim starfield. The Smart LED setting, even on Low, made the starfield invisible. But then I adjusted Gamma to +1, and it was fixed.

I'm getting used to Smart LED, but it can get annoying if you're watching something that's 1.33:1 or 2.35:1 because the black bars tend to light up if there's something bright near the edge of frame, especially if there are subtitles. The positives outweigh the negatives though, because blacks stay darker for the most part.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll try tonight to see if I'm experiencing the same thing.
post #1461 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 03:41 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Extremely helpful! Do you happen to know if "Cinema Black" is the same feature as "Smart LED?" The HU8550 has the latter, but not the former. From what I've read, they seem designed to do the same thing, but I can't get a definitive answer from anybody.

Per HU9000 manual:

●Smart LED Controls the brightness of individual areas on the screen to maximize contrast automatically. Smart LED is not supported in all regions and is not supported in all the TV's modes.
●Cinema Black dims the upper and lower zones (i.e., black bars) of the video image to provide a more immersive viewing experience

The F9000 has Smart LED. I know the new one connect adds Cinema Black.
post #1462 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I fixed my black bars and channel logos from jumping around by changing the motion settings to custom and blur to 10.

I never used that setting on my f8000 because it didn't seem to look right but on the 8550 not even game mode would stop it.

I'm wondering if I should get the 9000 now.

I got a brand new model 8550 for the open box price because the open box I picked up had pixel issues.
Best buy really took care of me. So I don't really want to take it back again..
post #1463 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 05:39 PM

Hi my 55hu5880 install today. I have tried various settings and I can not see it well. Compared to other samsung led 2009 this looks better. Someone recommend me some adjustment or idea that could make.

Thank you.

post #1464 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 05:52 PM

Sorry model is 8550.

Thanks

post #1465 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Per HU9000 manual:

●Smart LED Controls the brightness of individual areas on the screen to maximize contrast automatically. Smart LED is not supported in all regions and is not supported in all the TV's modes.
●Cinema Black dims the upper and lower zones (i.e., black bars) of the video image to provide a more immersive viewing experience

The F9000 has Smart LED. I know the new one connect adds Cinema Black.

It's very interesting that the new One Connect can add the Cinema Black feature to the F9000. Will the 2014 One Connect add that feature to the HU8550? Can you point me to some literature for it? I can't find it on Samsung's site. Thanks again for your help here!

post #1466 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 07:41 PM

So I received my UHD Samsung video HDD today. Watched World War Z and X-Men:Wolverine... WWZ looked great, probably the best demo 4k movie for now will all the tiny Zombies running around the city in a few shots it demonstrates how far the detail can go on a 4k set. X-Men looked meh, couldn't tell the difference from a upscaled blu-ray (maybe because its a older movie? haven't tried GI Joe Retaliation or Night at the Museum). The documentaries looked very nice (one about the grand canyon and a few other nature ones). Don't know if I would have paid $300 for this HDD, but glad Samsung threw it in with the HU9000 purchase.

Analog:Pro-Ject RM5.1SE Turntable // Pro-Ject Tube Box II SE Phono Amp // Pro-ject Speed Box II
post #1467 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Man reading this forum this year's Samsungs sound simply the worst. Read all the complaints. The Sony section is mostly happy post and settings discussion. This forum is all about how the sets are having problems.

Are these really that bad? Sucks because that curved u9000 is a sexy beast.
post #1468 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post

Man reading this forum this year's Samsungs sound simply the worst. Read all the complaints. The Sony section is mostly happy post and settings discussion. This forum is all about how the sets are having problems.

I have been following the XBR900B thread as well.. like last years Sony panels there are already complaints of vertical banding on some sets.. and it was just released. For uniformity and overall picture brightness I feel like Samsung has had the edge the past 2 years - sony has the lead with better motion handling though and thats my biggest complaint with the HU9000 - judder / motion blur are relatively common and I've played around with settings quite a bit. I don't imagine the Sonys are blur free since the 4k's are 120hz, my w850 from last year still had judder issues (also a 120hz set) but not as bad as my HU9000. Maybe some software updates will change some algorithms and improve things down the road, for now though I'm happy.
Mrorange303 likes this.

post #1469 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post

There are plenty of happy folks here and I'm one of them. Most of the problems are not really problems like slight clouding. This is to be expected on any edge lit LED TV. With the right calibration/ setup this set is fantastic PQ and would not trade it for the Sony! Just my two cents. biggrin.gif
Mrorange303 likes this.

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" ----------- Oppo 103D for Blu Ray & SACD & DVD-A
Denon X4000 - Marantz SR6000 AVR (coming soon) & Emotiva XPA-200 Amp
Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE--B&W HTM62 Center with Axiom QS4 surrounds ---------- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER
post #1470 of 9781 Old 05-20-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahzari View Post

I have been following the XBR900B thread as well.. like last years Sony panels there are already complaints of vertical banding on some sets.. and it was just released. For uniformity and overall picture brightness I feel like Samsung has had the edge the past 2 years - sony has the lead with better motion handling though and thats my biggest complaint with the HU9000 - judder / motion blur are relatively common and I've played around with settings quite a bit. I don't imagine the Sonys are blur free since the 4k's are 120hz, my w850 from last year still had judder issues (also a 120hz set) but not as bad as my HU9000. Maybe some software updates will change some algorithms and improve things down the road, for now though I'm happy.

I noticed the same thing and have been considering the Samsung but all the negatives are scaring me.eek.gifeek.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
samsung u8550 , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page