OFFICIAL Samsung 4k HU8550 and HU9000 thread - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1891 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'll go back later today and get a sku. It is curved, but somehow it appears less curved than the hu9000 of the same size, weird.

What's your choice today?
Follow the Rules

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Has anyone figured out how to activate upscaling on the 8550 yet? Samsung seems to hide all the great settings.

Sent from my iPhone 5 (au by KDDI, Japan) using the Tapatalk App.
post #1893 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pfhor View Post

Has anyone figured out how to activate upscaling on the 8550 yet? Samsung seems to hide all the great settings.

Sent from my iPhone 5 (au by KDDI, Japan) using the Tapatalk App.

Upscaling is always on.  It's automatic.

post #1894 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 708
post #1895 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riera View Post

I just turned off my PS4, I was playing with the settings, in my case, I can not play with "game setting on" the picture flickers and the motions are not smooth, it was actually making my eyes hurt and giving me a headache, the setting I had the best luck was (Yes, I know, a big no, no from what I've been reading) dynamic picture mode.I even tried HDMI 2.0 on and off (That didn't do any thing).

Now, just to be clear, I have a feeling there is something wrong with my TV (8550) since it has turned off and back on on its own, and the sound has stop working once, and the only way to get it back was by unplugging the TV, I will be getting a replacement on wednesday.

I was reading online that renaming the HDMI to PC helps a lot with lag according to some people, I have not been able to see the difference, will test that once I get the new TV.

Still, just asking, in any picture mode while game mode is on, dimming is still activated, correct?

post #1896 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Any 8550 owners try massaging their panels to eliminate any clouding?

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" ----------- Oppo 103D for Blu Ray & SACD & DVD-A
Marantz SR6009 AVR & Emotiva XPA-200 Amp
Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE--B&W HTM62 Center with Axiom QS4 surrounds ---------- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER
post #1897 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by konigsberg7 View Post

Still, just asking, in any picture mode while game mode is on, dimming is still activated, correct?

While on game mode, you can only use standard mode, under Advance Settings, Motion Lighting is not available, under Picture Options, Digital Clean View, MPEG Noise Filter, Film Mode, Auto Motion Plus are unavailable.

post #1898 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone had success in getting the Samsung UHD German demo files to play on the 8550? I have all four files in a USB folder but the TV only sees the main mp4 file not the three "sub" files. It appears to play in high res but you only see one quadrant of the image
post #1899 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post

Any 8550 owners try massaging their panels to eliminate any clouding?

Not me, I would be afraid of messing it up, while I would expect this panels to be perfect, I think it might be a trade for the ultra thin frame (But I could be wrong).

post #1900 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am back after years of being away. Came on this site when I built my first in home movie theater 8 years ago. I miss that theater and the times because it was so much easier to shop. Moved into a fixer upper that is still waiting for my basement finish to include a new theater. Anyway

I just ordered the 60/8550 and hope it wasn't a mistake, even after I read all of this back and forth plus on going issues. I had my heart set on the 65/7150 and was talked out of it. I currently have a 58 Samsung Plasma and BB told me to either go to Sharp Q+ or 4K in order to compete with the Plasma (600Hz/Blacks/Color etc...). Hoping that I don't have all the same issues but in the end the 7150 would be my fall back at this point if I end up not being able to sit and watch a show without questioning my purchase. Seems there are many repeat issues which don't sound like set problems but performance and content issues.

Doing some research on the new AVR Receivers has anyone tested whether these motion issues ( all encompassing ) are retarded,.. smile.gif in some way if the receiver pushes its up-scaling first? I know they offer 4K pass through but really there is none to pass through since 4K Netflix precedes the AVR that wouldn't be the case.

So if I am pushing lesser quality through the AVR and it upscaled to the TV does the internal scaler on the TV work less to get to its own up-scaled version since it's technically receiving something closer to 4K? Or does it revert back once the receiver pushes the up-scale which introduces more artifacts and a worse picture? I hope that makes sense, can you upscale twice in this case without making it worse?

On another note is there any value to making sure that the HDMI cable is 2.0. I only say this because I suspect the pass through will be less hampered even if you aren't pushing full 4K content. For the cost I am simply making sure I have them on hand when I set the TV up for the first time.

I don't have any equipment yet. Everything will be here next week.

Thanks in advance.
post #1901 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I've found settings for my HU8550 that I'm pleased with. Here they are. They are entirely impressionistic and subjective. Black level is good. Settings not mentioned are at their defaults.
  • Mode: Movie
  • Backlight: 15
  • Contrast: 75
  • Brightness: 24
  • Sharpness: 20
  • Color: 37
  • Advanced
  • Dynamic Contrast: Low
  • Gamma: +3
  • Picture Options
  • Color Tone: Warm2
  • Smart LED: High

Greg Lee
post #1902 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:

While on game mode, you can only use standard mode, under Advance Settings, Motion Lighting is not available, under Picture Options, Digital Clean View, MPEG Noise Filter, Film Mode, Auto Motion Plus are unavailable.

Oh thats good, so on Smart LED, you can still use high -- its just like the f8000, exactly -- I think. 

This is great, I paid 200 dollars more for the best 4K flat panel Samsung has to offer this year

post #1903 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:

Oh thats good, so on Smart LED, you can still use high -- its just like the f8000, exactly -- I think. 

This is great, I paid 200 dollars more for the best 4K flat panel Samsung has to offer this year

Yes, you can still select high under Smart LED while on Game mode, (Again, this is the 8550 series, I forgot what TV you were looking at, sorry).

Now, In my case, I can't play with Game mode on, the picture is not smooth, it flickers, it actually gives me headaches, I do not know for sure if the problem is the TV, but I think there could be something wrong with my unit, since it has turn off and on by it self, and it has lost audio forcing me to unplug it, hopefully the next one I get will be flaw free... (One can only hope, right?)

post #1904 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:

Yes, you can still select high under Smart LED while on Game mode, (Again, this is the 8550 series, I forgot what TV you were looking at, sorry).

Now, In my case, I can't play with Game mode on, the picture is not smooth, it flickers, it actually gives me headaches, I do not know for sure if the problem is the TV, but I think there could be something wrong with my unit, since it has turn off and on by it self, and it has lost audio forcing me to unplug it, hopefully the next one I get will be flaw free... (One can only hope, right?)

In what way does it flicker. Do you like literally flicker between a black screen and the image? 

post #1905 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:

In what way does it flicker. Do you like literally flicker between a black screen and the image? 

Motion is not smooth, the picture is jumpy, (Playing COD Ghost on PS4 using a monster HDMI black platinum), in my case, the best PQ when playing has been using dynamic, and I lower the backlight.

Two other things I do not like so far, and again, I do not know if it is because my TV has problems, or what, but I get some pixel transition (I think that is what it is called, sorry, I'm not into all of the terms), but picture some one walking in front of a brick wall,  there are some "artifacts" on the edge of the image of that person, (the same if a car is moving and there is a busy back ground behind, now, to make sure, I can see this while watching Blu Ray movies on the PS3 and the PS4 (tested both with the same movie). If things look ok with my new TV, I'm planing on picking up a Sony BDTs6200 BD player with 4k upscaling hoping that will help with PQ. Motion does not seem smooth to me, maybe I had hight expectations but this problems, should be not existent on the latest and greatest (I would think).

post #1906 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I had the exact same problems with my 8550. It was a great tv but the problems scared me off. This is just not an ideal set for gaming. I ended up switching it out for the 900b and couldn't be happier. This is not a knock to 8550 at all. It definitely had its advantages.
post #1907 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I added the Samsung Bd-H6500 4K Upconverting BDP. It seems to work well with my HU8550.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #1908 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKidMAADCity View Post

I had the exact same problems with my 8550. It was a great tv but the problems scared me off. This is just not an ideal set for gaming. I ended up switching it out for the 900b and couldn't be happier. This is not a knock to 8550 at all. It definitely had its advantages.

If the one that is been delivered tomorrow does not work out, I will look into that one, thank you.

post #1909 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:

If the one that is been delivered tomorrow does not work out, I will look into that one, thank you.

Let me know how your new 8550 goes. 

post #1910 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I got my 50" 8550 today from Amazon. First off, my experience with CEVA was great. No problems. I returned my LG 4K 8500. This TV is in another class. The extra $ was well worth it. I haven't had much time to play with the picture settings or play a 3D movie yet, but from what I've seen I'm expecting to be impressed even further. The blacks on this compared to the LG are like night and day. Looks like I got a good panel, no major visible banding, clouding, or bleeding. The LG had some uniformity issues.
post #1911 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonestl View Post

I got my 50" 8550 today from Amazon. First off, my experience with CEVA was great. No problems. I returned my LG 4K 8500. This TV is in another class. The extra $ was well worth it. I haven't had much time to play with the picture settings or play a 3D movie yet, but from what I've seen I'm expecting to be impressed even further. The blacks on this compared to the LG are like night and day. Looks like I got a good panel, no major visible banding, clouding, or bleeding. The LG had some uniformity issues.

Have you tried gaming on it and have had any problems mentioned above? 

*Man I'm in a tough situation, if what Riera says is true about this TV for gaming, I need to cancel it, as it arrives on the 13th. Then I'd have no TV and it seems the SONY tv has bad uniformity and is overpriced if you want to get the full-array, like OLED tv price (I'm going for a 65 inch HU8550). 

I could potentially just stick to my f8000, if this HU8550 does have these problems, but if these problems arent confirmed within 2 days then I will have to get a different, probably native 1080p TV which seems to be best at Vizio currently as far as non-curving goes. I really hope the 8550 doesn't have these problems anymore or were updated/fixed. 

Are there any other gamers out there? 

post #1912 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

*Man I'm in a tough situation, if what Riera says is true about this TV for gaming, I need to cancel it, as it arrives on the 13th. Then I'd have no TV and it seems the SONY tv has bad uniformity and is overpriced if you want to get the full-array, like OLED tv price (I'm going for a 65 inch HU8550). 

I could potentially just stick to my f8000, if this HU8550 does have these problems, but if these problems arent confirmed within 2 days then I will have to get a different, probably native 1080p TV which seems to be best at Vizio currently as far as non-curving goes. I really hope the 8550 doesn't have these problems anymore or were updated/fixed. 

I took my 360 to a store that had a 65HU8550 on display. I played Halo, NHL and Street Fighter IV. I experienced zero issues. Response was great and games played as expected.

Not sure what the drama surrounding the 8550's gaming capabilities is all about...

TV: Samsung 75HU8550
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636
Speakers: KEF T205
Devices: Xbox One, Xbox 360, Wii U, Cable
PC: Intel Core i5-4670K, 3GB 760GTX, 500GB Samsung EVO SSD, 16GB DDR3
post #1913 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrawst View Post

I took my 360 to a store that had a 65HU8550 on display. I played Halo, NHL and Street Fighter IV. I experienced zero issues. Response was great and games played as expected.

Not sure what the drama surrounding the 8550's gaming capabilities is all about...

Well, first, I've said many times I think there might be something wrong with my tv, and that I have another one coming first thing in the morning, also, the PS4 is a lot more, graphic demanding than the 360, (But I've noticed the same things on my PS3). 

Also, what might seen acceptable for some, might not be for other, but glad you have a flaws free unit.

post #1914 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure if this will help you at all, and I'm not sure the video really shows the difference, but I tried to make a video showing both settings, in my case, to my eyes, when playing, I do see a much better picture with the game mode off.

I just took with my iPhone, focus on auto lock, all lights off.

post #1915 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrawst View Post

I think it has to do with the "input lag" if it isn't in "game mode" Though is that only important if you're playing an online competitive match? Because I'm playing Watchdogs in Movie Mode and it seems fine to me. Granted, this isn't a 4K TV, rather the H8000 curve. And it is the 65 inch, not sure if screen size is a factor in the ms response time. I would like to know if game mode should be on for multiplayer though. Thanks. :-)
post #1916 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 11:15 PM

I've done more research. The component cable along with others can only display 1080p resolution. It's not like its upscaling 720p to 1080p. 

Upscaling, probably for gaming, can and mauy

post #1917 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Kerr View Post

I think it has to do with the "input lag" if it isn't in "game mode" Though is that only important if you're playing an online competitive match? Because I'm playing Watchdogs in Movie Mode and it seems fine to me. Granted, this isn't a 4K TV, rather the H8000 curve. And it is the 65 inch, not sure if screen size is a factor in the ms response time. I would like to know if game mode should be on for multiplayer though. Thanks. :-)

When I was playing watch dogs on the PS4 I could see "artifacts" around the character, do you get any of this? 

And yes, there is some lag in there for sure.

post #1918 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:

When I was playing watch dogs on the PS4 I could see "artifacts" around the character, do you get any of this? 

From what you've been saying and what others have been saying, it seems your TV is probably messed up. You should post a screenshot

post #1919 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:

From what you've been saying and what others have been saying, it seems your TV is probably messed up. You should post a screenshot

I posted a video comparing the two settings, as I said on my post (waiting for mod approval due to the external link) I'm not sure if the video shows the difference, it should be up any moment.

post #1920 of 10170 Old 06-10-2014, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Well, like I said I'm not on a 4K so I'm not sure if that's the difference, but I notice no lag or artifacts. Not saying there isn't lag, just saying I don't notice it. I think I always avoided it because it says it will "degrade picture quality" I like my pretty graphics. lol
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
samsung u8550 , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread