Forum Jump: 

post #2191 of 3445 Old 06-21-2014, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberyu View Post
I just got a UN65HU8550 delivered, and returned the Sharp 80" UQ series I had been evaluating. The UN65HU8550 is just a place holder until the UN75HU8550 is delivered next month, and that will ultimately be "the final" TV I am settling on.

Been through a lot of sets lately, and each one had it's issues. Loved the Panny 65" plasma that has been hanging on the wall for years, but it was never good during daytime parties in a brighter room. Sucking down 650 watts per hour was not helping the case for keeping it, and I was itching for something new in the livingroom.

Wanted to get a UHD set, but did not want to tread water on size, so I tried the Sharp 70" UD1 set. Real UHD, but lousy software from last year (or before that), no h.265, not ability to play any 4K stuff at all except through he HDMI. The set I got also had the worst flash-lighting in all 4 corners I've ever seen (all my other Samsungs are edge-lit too, so my expectations are not unreasonable). No amount of adjustments including turn backlight all the way down would minimize it to not bother me. Just awful, and I consider that set to be defective, but the hump of death on the back of it (preventing from decent looking wall-mounting) ensured I was not going to try another one to see if it looked better.

I had a 70" TQ/SQ series sharp before that (as a placeholder until the UD1 came in). This is their 1080p set that can "play" 4K, but that resolution enhancement stuff never made the picture look any better than a normal 1080p set (a bit worse actually). I liked the set, but the UD1 came in, that set went, and upon returning the UD1, I was convinced to give the 80" Sharp UQ set a try. Decent set, but dark uniformity was a problem and clouding was still evident un the upper-left quadrant of the set in a darker environment. Also, the pseudo 4k upscaling "resolution enhancement" stuff just make the picture look slightly worse than with it turned off. Also, even though this set (and the TQ before it) are 2014 models, neither would play 4k videos from anything but the HDMI ports, so no awesome demos on my thumb-drive would play. Had to rig up a HTPC, and in the end, the pseudo 4K playback was meh. I know, I really just wanted to use these for 1080p, but had to see what 4k looked like on them and how close they got....

...Compared to a true 4K set, not very close. The Samsung UN65HU8550 that is hanging there now is just awesome, and has vastly exceeded expectations on all fronts. Of course, I have to sit closer to notice 4K at a measly 65", so I cannot wait for the 75" to get here in July. If my 75" set is as good of a panel as this 65" panel, it will be a keeper for sure. There was so little I had to change for an initial unmetered rough calibration (black-clipping, white-clipping, color-temp, tweaking some other features). My god, this thing pops, is bright, AND I can see no clouding as all whatsoever with lighting-sensing on, and minimum backlight level of 7 for when my room goes into dark night-mode (still some indirect lighting). Night and day compared to all three Sharps (when it comes to minimizing clouding on an edge-lit unit), and better than my other 4 Samsung panels (1 6-series, 2 7s, and an 8). So, this may be no 9000, but whatever they have done to improve the lighting on it over previous years sets, it's woking from my perspective. Blacks and contrast are an easy match for my plasma in a dark room, and I've never been able to say that until this set (C8000 got close, but no cigar).

All my 4k demos work just fine from my USB3 thumb-drive (one of the USB ports is USB3, so I was pleased with that), and they all look amazing except there is still compression evident in most of them (DL'd from youtube using utility), but I'll take what I can get, and it's not the TV's fault. Elysium trailer was just shocking good on this set, with the black space absolutely matching the letterbox blacks, colors just popping, and so clean and clear right up close on the TV.

The software and smart-TV stuff just blows the 2014 Sharps Smart Central stuff away, to the point of embarrassment. Even it's use of DNLA servers is FAR better, and it could play any of my content (from Plax via DNLA, XBMC via DNLA, etc.) (sorry, no it did not play copy-once SD Homerun Prime stuff, but had no hopes for that anyway). The Sharp would only play the h.264 encoded rips via DLNA, and ignored all the other mkv videos on my Synology DS1812. Now, this is kind of moot since I use the actual Plex app, and XBMC htpc to actually play the movies and don't generally use the DNLA route, but it's interesting to see different smart TV compatibility with these ways of streaming. The Sharps were not good at DNLA, and the Samsung was, if that matters to anyone. the Sharp UD1 (full-UHD) software was laughable, and it's obviously a generation behind the 2014 Sharp sets.

Netflix... Sharp's client was okay (not the full-UHD UD1 set, as that was a joke with an old client), but of course it did not steam the 4K Netflix stuff as 4K (c'mon, if you're going to sell it on the pseudo-4k, at least steam the Netflix stuff as 4k and not 2k). The Samsung set absolutely does, and it is a slightly overall better Netflix client as well.

My one gripe with the Samsung... ARC HDMI port is not recessed like all the other HDMI ports, and just facing straight out the back... really Samsung?! The one port I would use on this set, and it alone prevents flush wall-mounting?! Their engineers should be lined up publicly and all slapped in the face for that. Good thing their wifi is working so darn well on my 5-ghz radio side of router, because the ethernet faces straight out the back too. Anyway, compared to the hump of death (duobass subwoofer) built in the back of the Sharp UD1, I can live with this and have a low-profile 90 adapter on the way (because the 75" set I have on the way is the same in this regards).

I'll do a full metered cal on the 75" when it get's here and do a more comprehensive assessment of that one. However, Samsung's 2014 flat panel lineup is looking good so far.
Roberyu (or anyone else),

Can you comment on motion on your set. I'm looking at the 75HU8550 and it seems that I lot of people are concerned with motion/judder. The big question is how are sports? Anything with fast motion like Hockey/World Cup cause any problems on your 65?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 3445 Old 06-21-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuza View Post
I just received my broken Samsung 65" HU9000 on my birthday. Outside TV screen looks perfectly fine without any sign of physical damage.
Sorry to hear this happened, shipping damage happens to every vender out there, even local stores.

You have to power on your LED to see cracks, they look fine powered off usually, there was a person in the 900B thread that had this happen as well. We require power on during our inspection process.
sikclown likes this.
post #2193 of 3445 Old 06-21-2014, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I just got a UN65HU8550 delivered, and returned the Sharp 80" UQ series I had been evaluating. The UN65HU8550 is just a place holder until the UN75HU8550 is delivered next month, and that will ultimately be "the final" TV I am settling on.

Been through a lot of sets lately, and each one had it's issues. Loved the Panny 65" plasma that has been hanging on the wall for years, but it was never good during daytime parties in a brighter room. Sucking down 650 watts per hour was not helping the case for keeping it, and I was itching for something new in the livingroom.

Wanted to get a UHD set, but did not want to tread water on size, so I tried the Sharp 70" UD1 set. Real UHD, but lousy software from last year (or before that), no h.265, not ability to play any 4K stuff at all except through he HDMI. The set I got also had the worst flash-lighting in all 4 corners I've ever seen (all my other Samsungs are edge-lit too, so my expectations are not unreasonable). No amount of adjustments including turn backlight all the way down would minimize it to not bother me. Just awful, and I consider that set to be defective, but the hump of death on the back of it (preventing from decent looking wall-mounting) ensured I was not going to try another one to see if it looked better.

I had a 70" TQ/SQ series sharp before that (as a placeholder until the UD1 came in). This is their 1080p set that can "play" 4K, but that resolution enhancement stuff never made the picture look any better than a normal 1080p set (a bit worse actually). I liked the set, but the UD1 came in, that set went, and upon returning the UD1, I was convinced to give the 80" Sharp UQ set a try. Decent set, but dark uniformity was a problem and clouding was still evident un the upper-left quadrant of the set in a darker environment. Also, the pseudo 4k upscaling "resolution enhancement" stuff just make the picture look slightly worse than with it turned off. Also, even though this set (and the TQ before it) are 2014 models, neither would play 4k videos from anything but the HDMI ports, so no awesome demos on my thumb-drive would play. Had to rig up a HTPC, and in the end, the pseudo 4K playback was meh. I know, I really just wanted to use these for 1080p, but had to see what 4k looked like on them and how close they got....

...Compared to a true 4K set, not very close. The Samsung UN65HU8550 that is hanging there now is just awesome, and has vastly exceeded expectations on all fronts. Of course, I have to sit closer to notice 4K at a measly 65", so I cannot wait for the 75" to get here in July. If my 75" set is as good of a panel as this 65" panel, it will be a keeper for sure. There was so little I had to change for an initial unmetered rough calibration (black-clipping, white-clipping, color-temp, tweaking some other features). My god, this thing pops, is bright, AND I can see no clouding as all whatsoever with lighting-sensing on, and minimum backlight level of 7 for when my room goes into dark night-mode (still some indirect lighting). Night and day compared to all three Sharps (when it comes to minimizing clouding on an edge-lit unit), and better than my other 4 Samsung panels (1 6-series, 2 7s, and an 8). So, this may be no 9000, but whatever they have done to improve the lighting on it over previous years sets, it's woking from my perspective. Blacks and contrast are an easy match for my plasma in a dark room, and I've never been able to say that until this set (C8000 got close, but no cigar).

All my 4k demos work just fine from my USB3 thumb-drive (one of the USB ports is USB3, so I was pleased with that), and they all look amazing except there is still compression evident in most of them (DL'd from youtube using utility), but I'll take what I can get, and it's not the TV's fault. Elysium trailer was just shocking good on this set, with the black space absolutely matching the letterbox blacks, colors just popping, and so clean and clear right up close on the TV.

The software and smart-TV stuff just blows the 2014 Sharps Smart Central stuff away, to the point of embarrassment. Even it's use of DNLA servers is FAR better, and it could play any of my content (from Plax via DNLA, XBMC via DNLA, etc.) (sorry, no it did not play copy-once SD Homerun Prime stuff, but had no hopes for that anyway). The Sharp would only play the h.264 encoded rips via DLNA, and ignored all the other mkv videos on my Synology DS1812. Now, this is kind of moot since I use the actual Plex app, and XBMC htpc to actually play the movies and don't generally use the DNLA route, but it's interesting to see different smart TV compatibility with these ways of streaming. The Sharps were not good at DNLA, and the Samsung was, if that matters to anyone. the Sharp UD1 (full-UHD) software was laughable, and it's obviously a generation behind the 2014 Sharp sets.

Netflix... Sharp's client was okay (not the full-UHD UD1 set, as that was a joke with an old client), but of course it did not steam the 4K Netflix stuff as 4K (c'mon, if you're going to sell it on the pseudo-4k, at least steam the Netflix stuff as 4k and not 2k). The Samsung set absolutely does, and it is a slightly overall better Netflix client as well.

My one gripe with the Samsung... ARC HDMI port is not recessed like all the other HDMI ports, and just facing straight out the back... really Samsung?! The one port I would use on this set, and it alone prevents flush wall-mounting?! Their engineers should be lined up publicly and all slapped in the face for that. Good thing their wifi is working so darn well on my 5-ghz radio side of router, because the ethernet faces straight out the back too. Anyway, compared to the hump of death (duobass subwoofer) built in the back of the Sharp UD1, I can live with this and have a low-profile 90 adapter on the way (because the 75" set I have on the way is the same in this regards).

I'll do a full metered cal on the 75" when it get's here and do a more comprehensive assessment of that one. However, Samsung's 2014 flat panel lineup is looking good so far.
Is there a reason you did not audition the Sony line?
post #2194 of 3445 Old 06-21-2014, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Sorry to hear this happened, shipping damage happens to every vender out there, even local stores.

You have to power on your LED to see cracks, they look fine powered off usually, there was a person in the 900B thread that had this happen as well. We require power on during our inspection process.
Delivery guys want me to signed paper after opening box so they can get on their schedule I only check physical damage on screen and everywhere and i did not notice crack until TV is on. I returned TV back to local two days later.

Samsung denied warranty on my KN55S9C 55 inch OLED

It is another issues with Samsung Warranty on my Samsung KN55S9C OLED. Samsung denied my warranty again due to physical damage while i only see weird spot on my TV after two months. They constantly said physical damage on my TV where there is no physical damage at all. I promised myself that i will never buy another Samsung product.
post #2195 of 3445 Old 06-21-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Delivery guys want me to signed paper after opening box so they can get on their schedule I only check physical damage on screen and everywhere and i did not notice crack until TV is on. I returned TV back to local two days later.

Samsung denied warranty on my KN55S9C 55 inch OLED

It is another issues with Samsung Warranty on my Samsung KN55S9C OLED. Samsung denied my warranty again due to physical damage while i only see weird spot on my TV after two months. They constantly said physical damage on my TV where there is no physical damage at all. I promised myself that i will never buy another Samsung product.
did you get a refund or did you get a replacement on the HU9000?
post #2196 of 3445 Old 06-21-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
did you get a refund or did you get a replacement on the HU9000?
I got offer for $2900 from my dealer if i decide to keep TV or return for full-refund. $2900 for 65" HU9000 with crack issues in screen. If Samsung honored their warranty, i hit jackpot. I don't know if there is any issues on my HU9000 in future or not.
post #2197 of 3445 Old 06-21-2014, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by Rf13 

Certainly the cheapest 4k camera you can buy at the moment. I'm ditching my iPhone for a android device apples falling behind.

It would be cool if Samsung made a sweet universal remote app for there phones to work with there TV's for free........
Uh hello the watch on app comes with evry phone thats has an ir blaster.

Unless you were sarcastic. Then yes I love my note 3 will work with any samsung tv. Free.
post #2198 of 3445 Old 06-21-2014, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Netflix now has 2 movies in 4K. Ghostbusters and Smurfs 2. Ghostbusters looks grainy. Smurfs look excellent.
post #2199 of 3445 Old 06-21-2014, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I've searched around and I cannot find what type of wireless my 8550 has. Does it have wireless N or a.c.? Also is it dual band? Thanks in advance. I'm sure it's somewhere, I just cannot seem to find the info.
post #2200 of 3445 Old 06-21-2014, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
news for canadians

took a peak at futureshop just out of curiousity and they finally have the 75" HU8550 listed.... for $9999.99.....

feeling pretty happy about getting mine for $4500 with a soundbar/sub and blu-ray player.

panel should come this week since the store told me they got the 9000's last week which timed perfectly as the monday after futureshop posted 78" HU9000. If the trend holds i should be test driving it this week.

Gonna try the settings recommended by many of you hear with the whole movie mode, warm 2, custom, blur 10 judder 0 or whatever my bookmark on that thread page says.

See how assassin's creed looks, a few movies, and other feeds.

hoping for no banding, no halo, and no damage as well as a TS panel.... here's hoping.
post #2201 of 3445 Old 06-21-2014, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 62
well if anyone was wondering, I received my replacement panel today for my UN65HU9000 that had terrible backlight bleed in the bottom corners and overall awful screen uniformity. Also had slight warping on the back panel.

Happy to report my replacement is absolutely perfect. No exaggeration. 0 clouding, 0 banding, no bleeding anywhere. It's like someone took it out of the box, inspected it and made sure I got a good one so I wouldn't return another TV .

It's a TS01 panel, just like my last one. I didn't check my manufacture date yet, but I wonder if my earlier set was part of a bad batch or something. I really wish all sets could be as good as this one out of the box, I didn't even need to massage her, lol.

Here's to hoping you guys with sets on the way get sets from a good batch!
post #2202 of 3445 Old 06-22-2014, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by vddobrev View Post
With the TV off, press Info, Menu, Mute and then turn on the TV. It should show the service menu in a couple of seconds. This works on HU8500.
Didn't seem to work on hu8550 I've tried several times
post #2203 of 3445 Old 06-22-2014, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just received my broken Samsung 65" HU9000 on my birthday. Outside TV screen looks perfectly fine without any sign of physical damage. When TV is turn on, I sees big crack appear at bottom of TV screen. Samsung field service said there is nothing wrong on the outside of TV and only take pictures for evaluation. One weeks later, Samsung denied my warranty due to physical damage and denied repair
I must inspect. Must inspect. Must inspect.
post #2204 of 3445 Old 06-22-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche948 View Post
took a peak at futureshop just out of curiousity and they finally have the 75" HU8550 listed.... for $9999.99.....
Time to take a ride into the US......
post #2205 of 3445 Old 06-22-2014, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I got offer for $2900 from my dealer if i decide to keep TV or return for full-refund. $2900 for 65" HU9000 with crack issues in screen. If Samsung honored their warranty, i hit jackpot. I don't know if there is any issues on my HU9000 in future or not.
May I ask where did you purchase your tv? Who was the delivery service?
post #2206 of 3445 Old 06-22-2014, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacasaur View Post
Didn't seem to work on hu8550 I've tried several times
With TV off hit MUTE, 1,8,2 then power. Do not change anything on the menu screens!

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1150.5
Denon AVR-2313ci, Denon AVR-S900w, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200
Cox Cisco 6 tuner Contour Box , PS4, Xbox One, HD Antenna
(2) Klipsch F-30s, (2) Klipsch F-20s, (2) Klipsch S-20s,
(2) Klipsch S-10s, (2) Klipsch B-20s, (1) Klipsch Sub-12HG
UN55HU8550, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S590, Motorola Cox Contour Receiver, PC
post #2207 of 3445 Old 06-22-2014, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
the downside for canadians

Quote:
Time to take a ride into the US......
again, although the price down south makes sense even after an 8 cent hit on every dollar, you then have to deal with any warranty concerns or issues back across the border where you got it from.

if you buy a U.S. best buy tv and try to resolve anything through a Canadian best buy, you'll get a look and a "sorry, but we aren't really sorry now please leave." same thing with new vehicles with warranties not being honored in canada.

That said still probably going to the store to view the tv in person for color, uniformity, bleed, banding to make sure you are taking something home that is ideal. Still doesn't avoid a tumultous return if the panel succumbed to an infantile mortality but odds are low on that anyways....
post #2208 of 3445 Old 06-22-2014, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm hoping the 85" 8550 will be around $6500-7000 in a few months...think that's possible?
Janibrewski likes this.
post #2209 of 3445 Old 06-22-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^ In a few months, NOPE !
Quote:
Samsung will not cover physical damage........not going to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche948 View Post
again, although the price down south makes sense even after an 8 cent hit on every dollar, you then have to deal with any warranty concerns or issues back across the border where you got it from.
Mack extended warranties are international, no boundary's Yes if any issues happen in the first 90 days you have to drive your unit to the states, after that in home service. Odds of having an issue in the first 90 days are about 1.5%....... I will take those odds any day.

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 06-22-2014 at 11:33 AM.
post #2210 of 3445 Old 06-22-2014, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavenaz View Post
Is there a reason you did not audition the Sony line?
I did, just did not go as far as bring them into my home. Had bad experiences with Sony, from a few bad SXRDs back in the day, to other reliability problems with a couple of their LCD TVs a couple of years ago, kind of put me off Sony as a brand for a while, but I am willing to consider them. I just did not like their 4K offerings as much as I did Samsung, model-for-model for the money at least. I also like the style and layout of Samsung's smart TV stuff more. When it came down to picture for the cost/size, Samsung won out this time.
post #2211 of 3445 Old 06-22-2014, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgroveman View Post
Roberyu (or anyone else),

Can you comment on motion on your set. I'm looking at the 75HU8550 and it seems that I lot of people are concerned with motion/judder. The big question is how are sports? Anything with fast motion like Hockey/World Cup cause any problems on your 65?

Thanks
As no football season right now, I have not tried sports yet. I'll see if I can check out some hockey or something to check it out. Other motion in movies seems okay thus far.
post #2212 of 3445 Old 06-22-2014, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
As no football season right now, I have not tried sports yet. I'll see if I can check out some hockey or something to check it out. Other motion in movies seems okay thus far.
Just got back from samsclub and they had a Samsung 60" 8500F UHD 4k led for $2397...

Is this set technically the same as the 8550?

Also are there Cal Day and Night modes?

There was no remote there to play with but they had a Ipad type thingy demonstrating the swipe feature.

The picture looked very nice but the bezel looked a bit underwhelming.
post #2213 of 3445 Old 06-22-2014, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm building a house and it'll be done around December, will be interesting what an 85" 8550 will cost then.

Last edited by bearcat2002; 06-22-2014 at 05:53 PM.
post #2214 of 3445 Old 06-22-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacasaur View Post
Firstly doctorwizz thank you for the pointers your assistance is much appreciated!

Ok after smart hub reset DD works with VUDU. Netflix shows up as DD on receiver but sound output is only stereo, yes I made sure the show I was watching was 5.1. There is not option to select anything other than stereo in the app. USB and DLNA have DD and DTS working. DirecTV does not pass DD yes I check to make sure its on in Directv settings when i plug it into my receiver it does DD. I think the problem with netflix is that the samsung app for it does not let you choose a DD 5.1 sound feed to send to the receiver. Thanks for the reset tip it fixed most of the problems. I don't think Netflix will ever output more than just stereo with out choosing the DTS 2:5 (which is a DTS version of prologic) until the app is updated. As far as DirecTV I have seen this before with my previous TV not passing DD for DirecTV. I know that DD will pass-through the TV from HDMI to HDMI-ARC cause it does it with my XBOX.

You are correct about Netflix! I could have sworn that 5.1 worked.
I finally got ARC working. Then while watcing NF, I see the DD on the AVR but it didn't sound right. I heard nothing out of the surrounds and surround backs. So I checked and it is only outputting on the FR and FL even though the AVR shows DD. MF! I tested the same movies in the Amazon Fire TV NF app. DD worked fine.
I connected the optical again to see if that had correct DD 5.1. Nope. And now of course flaky ARC not working.

I also noticed today that if I don't exit NF properly by selecting "Exit Netflix", the next time I run NF I sometimes get black screen.
post #2215 of 3445 Old 06-22-2014, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got the 65" HU8550 and have noticed quite a bit of glare on the screen. Is this pretty normal for this size of TVs or does this one have more glare than others? Also, how would the glare on this compare with the other similarly sized/priced 4k TVs from Sony, LG, etc.?
post #2216 of 3445 Old 06-23-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb454 View Post
I just got the 65" HU8550 and have noticed quite a bit of glare on the screen. Is this pretty normal for this size of TVs or does this one have more glare than others? Also, how would the glare on this compare with the other similarly sized/priced 4k TVs from Sony, LG, etc.?
I have that TV and I thought the glare was minimal. The plastic is polarized or tinted. It is not like looking at reflections from a clear sheet of plastic. The reflections look dark. I don't know how it compares to other brands. I thought I read somewhere that the Samsungs have less reflective glare.

I got these to have zero glare:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SDROMG/

The main problem I was having with glare comes from 2 windows to the left and right of the TV. Really dark in this room now. Even the wife approved.
Mrorange303 likes this.
post #2217 of 3445 Old 06-23-2014, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Blue "snow" in 3D

Have the 55 inch 9000 (first 3D capable TV). When playing a 3D movie I noticed dark blue"snow" (faint dots) running through the black bars outside of the actual picture on the top and bottom. Played Gravity 3D and they were there, 2 D and they were not present. Not negatively affecting anything but it seems odd.

Is this normal?
post #2218 of 3445 Old 06-23-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post
You are correct about Netflix! I could have sworn that 5.1 worked.
I finally got ARC working. Then while watcing NF, I see the DD on the AVR but it didn't sound right. I heard nothing out of the surrounds and surround backs. So I checked and it is only outputting on the FR and FL even though the AVR shows DD. MF! I tested the same movies in the Amazon Fire TV NF app. DD worked fine.
I connected the optical again to see if that had correct DD 5.1. Nope. And now of course flaky ARC not working.

I also noticed today that if I don't exit NF properly by selecting "Exit Netflix", the next time I run NF I sometimes get black screen.

Found a easy way to get ARC back. All I did was unplug and re-plug the HDMI 4 cable from the back of the TV while my Denon 3312 AVR was on and connected on to a WD TV Live which is a CEC device. After re-plugging, the TV defaults to TV speaker. And "Receiver" is selectable again. And ARC works again. YMMV
post #2219 of 3445 Old 06-23-2014, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZMOJ View Post
Have the 55 inch 9000 (first 3D capable TV). When playing a 3D movie I noticed dark blue"snow" (faint dots) running through the black bars outside of the actual picture on the top and bottom. Played Gravity 3D and they were there, 2 D and they were not present. Not negatively affecting anything but it seems odd.

Is this normal?
Decrease sharpness to < 15 and set Cinema black to on.

Edit: also check picture size, set it to fit screen.
post #2220 of 3445 Old 06-23-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb454 View Post
What do you mean by "glare"? Are you talking about reflections from the shiny front surface?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
samsung u8550 , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page