OFFICIAL Samsung 4k HU8550 and HU9000 thread - Page 90 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2671 of 4547 Old 07-09-2014, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Right now I just use my xbox one for blurays. What are the major benefits moving from that to a dedicated BR player of some kind?

TV: Samsung 75HU8550
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636
Speakers: KEF T205
Devices: Xbox One, Xbox 360, Wii U, Cable
PC: Intel Core i5-4670K, 3GB 760GTX, 500GB Samsung EVO SSD, 16GB DDR3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 4547 Old 07-09-2014, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrawst View Post
Right now I just use my xbox one for blurays. What are the major benefits moving from that to a dedicated BR player of some kind?
3D capability (not important to some but I love me some loud, blow em up, 3D action flicks), generally better PQ (in my opinion), faster startup, etc. If you are happy with the Xbox One player though no real reason to get a dedicated player. If either my PS4 or Xbox One did 3D I likely wouldn't have a Bluray player.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1151.4
Denon AVR-2313ci, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch F-30s, (2) Klipsch F-20s, (2) Klipsch S-20s, (1) Klipsch RC-62II
(2) Klipsch S-10s, (2) Klipsch B-20s, (1) Klipsch Sub-12HG
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2) Klipsch G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
post #2673 of 4547 Old 07-09-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrawst View Post
My Panasonic bdt360 plays my blurays cleaner. The picture is cleaner than my xbox one.

The netflix app and YouTube app all look better from the tv but the xbox one is easy and still looks great.
post #2674 of 4547 Old 07-09-2014, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
My Panasonic bdt360 plays my blurays cleaner. The picture is cleaner than my xbox one.

The netflix app and YouTube app all look better from the tv but the xbox one is easy and still looks great.

Yeah I'll probably just ride it out until a dedicated 4k player comes out. I watched the Lego Movie on Bluray with the XB1 on the weekend and it just blew my mind so I'm a happy camper.

I'd be with you on using the TV's Netflix app but it doesn't have surround sound....
sikclown likes this.

TV: Samsung 75HU8550
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636
Speakers: KEF T205
Devices: Xbox One, Xbox 360, Wii U, Cable
PC: Intel Core i5-4670K, 3GB 760GTX, 500GB Samsung EVO SSD, 16GB DDR3
post #2675 of 4547 Old 07-09-2014, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've purchased a UN65HU8500 from Costco last week. TV is current on my BDI stand until a new flush mount gets delivered later this week. While on my stand I am running all the cables to it as if it were wall mounted. This is so I can test different configurations and make sure all is working as expected before wall mounting it. My setup consists of the following:

65HU8500
Oppo BD-P103
Onkyo 818 (all sources go to 818 and one HDMI out to the display)
Outlaw Audio Model 7500 5 channel amp
Emotiva Reference Speakers all around
PS3
Verizon Fios
Apple TV
HTPC (Small all in one Lenovo used for downloading and web browsing. Display port to HDMI)
All components hardwired to a gigabit switch.

So I initially wired up the receiver's HDMI out to The HDMI ARC input, but I had no sound. So I moved the cable to HDMI4 and all is working. Even with the receiver in Stand By, the video and audio pass through to TV without issues. When the receiver is on, no problems at all either. So I don't need to concern myself with HDMI ARC at this point.

I've tweaked the TV using some suggestions here and I'm getting the display to look amazing in my eyes. One this I am having issues with is when playing a Bluray on the Oppo, forcing 4k, the display blinks every few minutes. I am still trying to determine if having the Oppo force 4k is causing the problem. I will turn it off this evening when I get home. Or can it be that I am using older HDMI 1.4a cables? I ordered some newer cables from monoprice along with the new mount. They are cheap enough that I wanted to give them a try. No big deal if they bring nothing better to the table.

Streaming Netflix and Youtube looks pretty good. I still don't believe I am seeing 4k on the Netflix Super HD streams. I will confirm if I tried it via the Oppo or the Samsung-can't remember. I've read here that you have to use the displays Netflix app in order to view 4k content, correct? I will report back on this as well.
post #2676 of 4547 Old 07-09-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyvaz View Post
I've purchased a UN65HU8500 from Costco last week. TV is current on my BDI stand until a new flush mount gets delivered later this week. While on my stand I am running all the cables to it as if it were wall mounted. This is so I can test different configurations and make sure all is working as expected before wall mounting it. My setup consists of the following:

65HU8500
Oppo BD-P103
PS3
Verizon Fios
Apple TV
HTPC (Small all in one Lenovo used for downloading and web browsing. Display port to HDMI)

So I initially wired up the receiver's HDMI out to The HDMI ARC input, but I had no sound. So I moved the cable to HDMI4 and all is working. Even with the receiver in Stand By, the video and audio pass through to TV without issues. When the receiver is on, no problems at all either. So I don't need to concern myself with HDMI ARC at this point.

I've tweaked the TV using some suggestions here and I'm getting the display to look amazing in my eyes. One this I am having issues with is when playing a Bluray on the Oppo, forcing 4k, the display blinks every few minutes. I am still trying to determine if having the Oppo force 4k is causing the problem. I will turn it off this evening when I get home. Or can it be that I am using older HDMI 1.4a cables? I ordered some newer cables from monoprice along with the new mount. They are cheap enough that I wanted to give them a try. No big deal if they bring nothing better to the table.

Streaming Netflix and Youtube looks pretty good. I still don't believe I am seeing 4k on the Netflix Super HD streams. I will confirm if I tried it via the Oppo or the Samsung-can't remember. I've read here that you have to use the displays Netflix app in order to view 4k content, correct? I will report back on this as well.
Info button in app. Will show resolution.
joeyvaz likes this.
post #2677 of 4547 Old 07-09-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Before my router change the video quality was 1080. After 2160.
post #2678 of 4547 Old 07-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyvaz View Post

65HU8500
Oppo BD-P103
PS3
Verizon Fios
Apple TV

I just read in another thread that there could be a few people who have run into screen degradation when using a player to upscale to 4k vs the TV upscaling because perhaps both were upscaling; meaning the Oppo is upscaling and then the TV is trying to upscale the upscale. I don't know about that since it hasn't been my experience but it is possible. Also if you have your receiver processing the video as well it could cause those kind of issues which i have run into and was my case. My Denon, unbeknownst to me, was set to upscale to 4k as was my Bluray player. Havoc ensued. finally figured it out after a while. Yes you have to use the TVs Netflix App as well as view the 4k content to get 4k. To see what resolution you are getting press Info on your remote when playing a movie in Netflix.
joeyvaz likes this.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1151.4
Denon AVR-2313ci, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch F-30s, (2) Klipsch F-20s, (2) Klipsch S-20s, (1) Klipsch RC-62II
(2) Klipsch S-10s, (2) Klipsch B-20s, (1) Klipsch Sub-12HG
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2) Klipsch G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
post #2679 of 4547 Old 07-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
I just read in another thread that there could be a few people who have run into screen degradation when using a player to upscale to 4k vs the TV upscaling because perhaps both were upscaling; meaning the Oppo is upscaling and then the TV is trying to upscale the upscale. I don't know about that since it hasn't been my experience but it is possible. Also if you have your receiver processing the video as well it could cause those kind of issues which i have run into and was my case. My Denon, unbeknownst to me, was set to upscale to 4k as was my Bluray player. Havoc ensued. finally figured it out after a while. Yes you have to use the TVs Netflix App as well as view the 4k content to get 4k. To see what resolution you are getting press Info on your remote when playing a movie in Netflix.

Onkyo AVR is set to pass through video unmolested. I've always had it set up this way. But I am definitely going to turn off the 4k upscale in the Oppo when I get home this evening and see if the blinking stops. This will be with the 1.4a cables. New cables and mount will be here on Friday. Thanks
sikclown likes this.
post #2680 of 4547 Old 07-09-2014, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi,
I have the panel version HS01 on my 60" 8550. Is this version one of their best?

Also called Samsung about the upscaling...I have the Samsung BD-F7500 Bluray and the HU-60"-8550. They told me to leave them both on, that would be the best way...is this true??

Thanks

Last edited by Lyons07; 07-09-2014 at 02:47 PM.
post #2681 of 4547 Old 07-09-2014, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
The panels starting with H are sharp panels from what I've read, and I would say they are the second best panels u could get (the ones starting with T being the best)

Another question regarding blu ray players guys
Don't think the sony 6200 has come out into shops here in Australia but the 5200 is out

So still not sure what is the best "budget" blu ray player out of those two sonys and. The panna 360

Any other ones make the list ????

Cheers

Last edited by JonyB; 07-09-2014 at 08:39 PM.
post #2682 of 4547 Old 07-09-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Xbox one/ PS4 question for those who have gamed on the HU9000.
Is the input lag OK enough where you aren't going to be at a mega disadvantage playing FPS,
or can settings be changed so it is very unnoticeable?
Plus what can you get lag input speed down to?
Thanks
post #2683 of 4547 Old 07-09-2014, 06:01 PM

Hey guys

Bit of a newby when it comes to putting all the devices together and how it all works

I'll be getting a 65hu8550
Canton musicbox m
Blu ray player
Paid/cable tv (foxtel here in Australia)

Main concern is the canton music box which I guess I'm using as a sound bar as have very limited space and not much $$$ for anything else atm

The canton musicbox has a digital audio out (optical) to connect with the tv

Does this mean even when watching blu rays and cable and obviously tv, that the sound will automatically play out of the canton music box even though it's not directly plugged into either the blu ray player or foxtel

???

Thanks to anyone who could answer or explain it
post #2684 of 4547 Old 07-09-2014, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherho0d View Post
Xbox one/ PS4 question for those who have gamed on the HU9000.
Is the input lag OK enough where you aren't going to be at a mega disadvantage playing FPS,
or can settings be changed so it is very unnoticeable?
Plus what can you get lag input speed down to?
Thanks
With the firmware upgrade and input source set to pc, you will notice any lag
post #2685 of 4547 Old 07-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
Turning 4K Upscaling off on the Oppo did the trick. No more picture flickering and the picture looks amazing.

Also, I had been using the Netflix App on the Oppo, not the display. I now see a list of available 4K movies and shows listed when I log into the Netflix App on the display. I'm also see the lip sync issues with Netflix that others are experiencing.
sikclown likes this.
post #2686 of 4547 Old 07-09-2014, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonyB View Post
Hey guys

Bit of a newby when it comes to putting all the devices together and how it all works

I'll be getting a 65hu8550
Canton musicbox m
Blu ray player
Paid/cable tv (foxtel here in Australia)

Main concern is the canton music box which I guess I'm using as a sound bar as have very limited space and not much $$$ for anything else atm

The canton musicbox has a digital audio out (optical) to connect with the tv

Does this mean even when watching blu rays and cable and obviously tv, that the sound will automatically play out of the canton music box even though it's not directly plugged into either the blu ray player or foxtel

???

Thanks to anyone who could answer or explain it
That Canton has an optical in. Not out.
So you would connect that to the TV's optical out.
Connect the Bluray and the Cable TV to the TV's HDMI inputs.
Yes you will get sound from both through the Canton depending on which HDMI input is selected on the TV.

Samsung 65" HU8550 - TS01, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE speakers x 7, DefTech ProSub 1000 x 2
WDTV Live, Roku 3, Amazon FireTV, LG BD390 Bluray, WiiU,
DishTV Hopper w/Sling, Self Made PC, AMD FX8350, 16GB Ram, LG 16x BD-RW
EVGA GTX-780 6GB SC, Gigabyte GTX-750Ti 2GB, 3840x2160@60Hz , Asus AC-68 Router
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD, Samsung HD204Ui 2TB, 3 UPS's
post #2687 of 4547 Old 07-09-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post
That Canton has an optical in. Not out.
So you would connect that to the TV's optical out.
Connect the Bluray and the Cable TV to the TV's HDMI inputs.
Yes you will get sound from both through the Canton depending on which HDMI input is selected on the TV.

Thanks heaps doctor wiz

Really appreciate it

Guess I'm all sorted

Now just need to figure out what are the best budget blu ray players to suss out ???

Cheers

Last edited by JonyB; 07-09-2014 at 08:44 PM.
post #2688 of 4547 Old 07-09-2014, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonyB View Post
The panels starting with H are sharp panels from what I've read, and I would say they are the second best panels u could get (the ones starting with T being the best)
So, what makes the T better panels?
post #2689 of 4547 Old 07-09-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewayacts92 View Post
So, what makes the T better panels?
Old samsung myth. Been going on for years. Ive bever had a none t panel though. Im in the USA.
post #2690 of 4547 Old 07-09-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Old samsung myth. Been going on for years. Ive bever had a none t panel though. Im in the USA.
I wander if it has something to do with size. I also have a H panel and it's also 60". Maybe? Either way, my set is amazing. No light bleed on corners. Uniformity is phenomenal. There is only a minimal, almost non-existent tiny spot that looks like clouding but I say almost non-existent because I have to try hard to notice it so I don't think is even worth it considering exchanging. I understand that those T panels are not perfect neither and getting one of those does not guarantee perfection. Am I correct?
post #2691 of 4547 Old 07-09-2014, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewayacts92 View Post
I wander if it has something to do with size. I also have a H panel and it's also 60". Maybe? Either way, my set is amazing. No light bleed on corners. Uniformity is phenomenal. There is only a minimal, almost non-existent tiny spot that looks like clouding but I say almost non-existent because I have to try hard to notice it so I don't think is even worth it considering exchanging. I understand that those T panels are not perfect neither and getting one of those does not guarantee perfection. Am I correct?
All panels have good and bad ones. No matter. T. H. Yield is never perfect. If you get a good panel it's a good panel. No matter the letter. Samsung sets a standard and the panels that meet it ship. Some are better than others as all products.

Really normal stuff not to over think it.
post #2692 of 4547 Old 07-09-2014, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

If I don't use smart led I can see a small cloud in the bottom left corner. I think all owners can. The light source. With the dark settings of the set you can get rid of it though.
post #2693 of 4547 Old 07-10-2014, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Silly question. I just got my HU9000 and I'm setting it up and can't find a optical out. Am I restricted to the ARC? I've had bad luck with the ARC, mostly because it makes the input of both my previous TV's and my AVR change when I don't want it to.

Samsung UA55HU9000, Klipsch Quintet 5.1, Onkyo TX-NR515AE
post #2694 of 4547 Old 07-10-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
All panels have good and bad ones. No matter. T. H. Yield is never perfect. If you get a good panel it's a good panel. No matter the letter. Samsung sets a standard and the panels that meet it ship. Some are better than others as all products.

Really normal stuff not to over think it.
It may be more like you said "an Old Samsung Myth" since Samsung sets the standards. My set has an amazing picture, very good off-axis viewing, uniformity is excellent to my eyes. Very satisfied with my tv.

Quote:
If I don't use smart led I can see a small cloud in the bottom left corner. I think all owners can. The light source. With the dark settings of the set you can get rid of it though.
Yes, I did noticed this when playing with the settings during a dark scene.
post #2695 of 4547 Old 07-10-2014, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi guys,

I live in Cyprus (small island near Greece) and my 65HU8500 does not have NETFLIX installed neither can i find it on the TVs version of app store. Can anyone tell me if there is anyway of getting it on my TV ???

Many thanks in advance

Stef
post #2696 of 4547 Old 07-10-2014, 03:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef Mac View Post
Hi guys,

I live in Cyprus (small island near Greece) and my 65HU8500 does not have NETFLIX installed neither can i find it on the TVs version of app store. Can anyone tell me if there is anyway of getting it on my TV ???

Many thanks in advance

Stef
Check this post

2014 Samsung SEK-2500U/ZA Evolution Kit and CY-SUC10SH/ZA UHD Video Pack

Samsung 65" HU8550 - TS01, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE speakers x 7, DefTech ProSub 1000 x 2
WDTV Live, Roku 3, Amazon FireTV, LG BD390 Bluray, WiiU,
DishTV Hopper w/Sling, Self Made PC, AMD FX8350, 16GB Ram, LG 16x BD-RW
EVGA GTX-780 6GB SC, Gigabyte GTX-750Ti 2GB, 3840x2160@60Hz , Asus AC-68 Router
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD, Samsung HD204Ui 2TB, 3 UPS's
post #2697 of 4547 Old 07-10-2014, 03:51 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post

Mate many many many thanks !!!! You have just made my day .... Im soooooo happy as 4K material is no existent here in Cyprus.... YOU DA MAN
post #2698 of 4547 Old 07-10-2014, 04:19 AM

Is everyone happy with their HU8500 ???

Anyone not happy with the blacks ?
Anyone suffering with clouding, banding or DSE (dirty screen effect) ?

I have no banding or DSE, i watch a lot of football and have tried many LEDs and nerly most of the had banding or DSE especially while watching camera pans with football (last year i returned 2 Samsung F8000 and 1 Panasonic plasma VT60 for the above mentioned issues) . This is the only LED screen i have found after testing all last years top LED's that does not have that (this year only tested Sony X9005B and Samsung HU8500, both 65 inch). I was very close to buying the Sony 65 X9005B but the 2 sets i tried both had banding and DSE, on the other hand i loved the design, picture quality (it seemed it had better blacks and more colour pop) and of course the sound was amazing.

My 65HU8500 has some clouding especially on the bottom corners but im willing to overlook that as it does not show much while watching live content and its more important to me to have NO banding and/or DSE.

Does anyone have some nice calibration setting to suggest ?

Looking forward to hearing from you all

All the best

Stef
post #2699 of 4547 Old 07-10-2014, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAsnake View Post
Silly question. I just got my HU9000 and I'm setting it up and can't find a optical out. Am I restricted to the ARC? I've had bad luck with the ARC, mostly because it makes the input of both my previous TV's and my AVR change when I don't want it to.
Should be on the right hand side panel (not back) of the One Connect box.

Last edited by jkhome; 07-10-2014 at 05:05 AM.
post #2700 of 4547 Old 07-10-2014, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhome View Post
Should be on the right hand side panel (not back) of the One Connect box.
How could I miss that, I must be going blind.

I should probably take this opportunity anyway to try the ARC again, not a fan of extra cables.

Samsung UA55HU9000, Klipsch Quintet 5.1, Onkyo TX-NR515AE
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
samsung u8550 , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page