AVS Forum banner
2M views 22K replies 1K participants last post by  SaberJet 
#1 ·
Hi, guys…I've decided to start a new thread on these new 2014 4k TVs from Samsung so we can talk about them. Here are some links to more info about them:

HU8550 Series (55")
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55HU9000FXZA

HU9000 Series (55")
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55HU9000FXZA

HU8550 Spec Sheet
http://www.brandsmartusa.com/pdfs/manuals/20175428.pdf

I currently have an older Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV and it has served me very well over the last few years. Since the 4k TVs came out, I was seriously considering the 55F9000 as a replacement, but now I'm looking at this new 2014 series. As far as I can tell, here are the main differences between the HU8550 series and HU9000 series (this is after doing a comparison of the two sets on the Samsung website): HU9000 has Quad Core Plus processor, while the HU8550 has a standard Quad Core; the HU9000 is Smart Evolution Ready, whereas the HU8550 does not appear to have the same feature; the HU9000 has a pop-up camera while the HU8550 has no camera; the Clear Motion Rate on the HU9000 is 1440 while the HU8550 has a Clear Motion Rate of 1200; the HU9000 has Purcolor and Auto Depth Enhancer while the HU8550 does not have either feature.

Interestingly enough, if you review the Spec Sheet for the HU8550, it also suggests that there is no One Connect Box for this series. The sheet specifically mentions that the One Connect Box is sold separately…does this mean that the One Connect Box is not included with the HU8550 and all connections are made directly to the TV? If so, then I would give an edge to the older F9000 because I'm a HUGE fan of the One Connect Box idea and I would actually lean towards picking up the F9000.

As I understand it, these TVs also have an 8-bit panel, so I would assume that colors will be limited…this is a disappointment since I am not sure that these TVs would be able to accurately render a wide variety of colors according to the new HDMI 2.0 spec or whatever 4k standards will be established over time. I also find the HU9000 series to be INCREDIBLY annoying with the curved screen idea. I wish Samsung would have included these extra features on the 8550 flat series inasmuch as I do not see any great advantage of a curved screen. I will wait to see what the reviews say about these new series TVs and how they compare to the F9000. At this time, I'm torn between getting the 8550 or the older F9000 once that older series becomes cheaper. Presumably Samsung will release a new One Connect Box for the F9000 that will give it the same features as the 8550, so I'm wondering if that will be the best option for me.

Please discuss your thoughts on this new series along with expert and owner reviews here!

See less See more
#4,521 ·
I sent my XBR65X850B back to Sony yesterday for full refund. I could not live with the clouding/light bleed in the corners. So now I'm looking at the UN65HU8550. How is PQ in dark rooms? Anyone had a problem with gray clouds in the dark sense? About 95% of what we watch are Blu-rays in the dark with only the Lava lamp for light.

#4,522 ·
spent some time calibrating my 75hu8550 last night. had to make some pretty big moves to get the grayscale and gamma to track due to enabling dynamic contrast and smart led

settings
Movie
Backlight 12
Contrast 95
Brightness 45
Color 50
Tint 50/50
ADVANCED
Dynamic Contrast Medium
Black Tone Off
Flesh Tone off
Color Space
R 50 3 5
G 5 50 8
B 0 7 48
Y 52 50 9
C 0 52 50
M 49 7 47
2 pt White Balance
3 2 -1 10 5 -12
10 pt
10% 0 -3 -5
20% 3 5 5
30% 1 3 4
40% 8 9 9
50% 20 23 18
60% 13 15 13
70% 8 8 7
80% 1 2 0
90% 0 0 -3
100% 1 0 -6

Color Tone Warm 2
Digital Clear View off
MPEG Noise Filter off
UHD color off
Auto Motion 10 0 Off
Smart LED Standard
Nice, I will give these settings a try. Thanks for posting.

#4,523 ·
I sent my XBR65X850B back to Sony yesterday for full refund. I could not live with the clouding/light bleed in the corners. So now I'm looking at the UN65HU8550. How is PQ in dark rooms? Anyone had a problem with gray clouds in the dark sense? About 95% of what we watch are Blu-rays in the dark with only the Lava lamp for light.
Picture is great in dark rooms and if most of your content is blue-ray is even better. I have no problem with clouding or light bleed. Again, you do have to deal with good and bad panels I guess.

#4,524 ·
I have some very minimal light bleed/clouding in the lower right hand corner of my UN55HU8550 but it isn't distracting at all.

#4,526 ·
Good news announced at FlatpanelsHD for On-Demand by Samsung for UHD and more info to be announced at IFA next week.:)
Ya know if these guys hit this hard and fast, there could be a possibility there would never be a devise to play 4K, all stream and download....... Sooner or later I bet it goes this way anyway.......Of course it depends if we destroy our planet first.

#4,527 ·
Un85hu8550 has a sound problem that I haven't solved yet. When watching direct tv for maybe an hour, sound will just stop even though it isn't muted. The only way I can get sound back is to turn tv off and then right back on. Any ideas?

#4,530 ·
No problems at all...

#4,532 ·
You must have read what I said wrong, my PC monitor (LG 34UM95) is 18ms. Comparing it to the Samsung, I don't notice a difference in input lag. http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/ reviewed the HU8700 recently and measured 40ms... that is the same panel used in the HU8550, just curved. Early reviews of the 8550 put it at ~60ms, so it seems firmware updates have brought that down since. But can't say for sure since I haven't seen any outlet re-test it. Either way... the lag is no problem at all for me.

Yes I did rename the input to PC on the Samsung, that is a must. I can definitely feel the input lag on default settings
Does anyone have any new input lag measurements for HU9000 after updates?? I renamed an input PC for my PS4, but I don't love that I can't use the Cinema Black and other features on PC mode.

#4,533 ·
Good news announced at FlatpanelsHD for On-Demand by Samsung for UHD and more info to be announced at IFA next week.:)

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1409228988

Good news! I did a focus group for an LG UHD TV a month or so ago. When they saw in the questions that I had a Samsung 4k set they asked if they could come to my home for an interview (mo money). One of the questions asked was why I picked a Samsung and I explained to them that the promise of content was one of the factors. Until 4k blu ray is a reality, this is welcome news. I Hope the selections and the picture quality of the 4k movies coming are good.

#4,534 ·
Thanks for deleting my entire post mods. You could have deleted the part to Mrorange and left my settings.

Thanks again @sikclown. Very informative post. I posted all my settings for you but the mods deleted it so I wanted to thank you again cause I'm not sure you ever saw it.

I tried the ones you posted and they look better than mine. I have to have Smart Led on high and dial back the gamma and brightness due to the clouding.

#4,535 · (Edited)

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1409228988

All this sounds nice until we realize that they are all just remastered to 'near' UHD quality and actually look no better than Blu Ray. Ghostbusters 2 and Hitch being prime examples. More grandios claims with underwhelming product/performance to follow. The industry is on fire lately. 4k/Curved TV/HDMI 2.0/10 bit color....etc...they never fail to disappoint.

Wake me up when we have 150" roll upable 8k OLED's with HDMI 9.0, 24 bit color and 4D capability that look no better than Blu Ray.

#4,536 ·
All this sounds nice until we realize that they are all just remastered to 'near' UHD quality and actually look no better than Blu Ray. Ghostbusters 2 and Hitch being prime examples. More grandios claims with underwhelming product/performance to follow. The industry is on fire lately. 4k/Curved TV/HDMI 2.0/10 bit color....etc...they never fail to disappoint.

Wake me up when we have 150" roll upable 8k OLED's with HDMI 9.0, 24 bit color and 4D capability that look no better than Blu Ray.
You gotta start somewhere bro. I know you're trying to be a realist here, but this is as good as it gets until movie and TV studios fully get behind 4K. It's not like samsung is purposely trying to screw us here.

I see the most potential with 4K streaming, where HEVC encoding can deliver blu ray quality picture quality at reasonable bandwidth. That's already a huge improvement over what we get now.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

#4,537 ·
Can I ask if anyone else is seeing the following behavior.

I have the UE65HU8500 (European version of the UN65HU9000).

When I play full 3d MVC m2ts files either over dlna or via USB the TV is clearly enabling auto motion plus as I get horrible soap opera effect. I check the picture settings and amp is definitely set to off.

It doesn't happen with half side by side 3d only MVC.

Is this happening to anyone else?

#4,540 ·
have you settled on a TV yet? I remember you were eyeing the 85" 8550 not too long ago. With 4K OLED & vizio P/R series on the horizon it's tough to decide!
No real resolution yet. I have been trying out the 2013 80" Vizio for almost 3 months and have to return it within a couple weeks if I'm going to. Very lukewarm on it. Picture is okay but not great and it has remote and lip sync issues. But it's $3K. I still like the 85" 8550 but not for $10K. Haven't ruled out the 78" HU9000 but don't like how huge the price premium is for the authorized dealers and don't want to risk no return policy. I would be excited about the new Vizio's or LG OLED if they had an 80"+ model. Don't want to wait yet another year but starting to wonder if I will...