AVS Forum banner
2M views 22K replies 1K participants last post by  SaberJet 
#1 ·
Hi, guys…I've decided to start a new thread on these new 2014 4k TVs from Samsung so we can talk about them. Here are some links to more info about them:

HU8550 Series (55")
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55HU9000FXZA

HU9000 Series (55")
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55HU9000FXZA

HU8550 Spec Sheet
http://www.brandsmartusa.com/pdfs/manuals/20175428.pdf

I currently have an older Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV and it has served me very well over the last few years. Since the 4k TVs came out, I was seriously considering the 55F9000 as a replacement, but now I'm looking at this new 2014 series. As far as I can tell, here are the main differences between the HU8550 series and HU9000 series (this is after doing a comparison of the two sets on the Samsung website): HU9000 has Quad Core Plus processor, while the HU8550 has a standard Quad Core; the HU9000 is Smart Evolution Ready, whereas the HU8550 does not appear to have the same feature; the HU9000 has a pop-up camera while the HU8550 has no camera; the Clear Motion Rate on the HU9000 is 1440 while the HU8550 has a Clear Motion Rate of 1200; the HU9000 has Purcolor and Auto Depth Enhancer while the HU8550 does not have either feature.

Interestingly enough, if you review the Spec Sheet for the HU8550, it also suggests that there is no One Connect Box for this series. The sheet specifically mentions that the One Connect Box is sold separately…does this mean that the One Connect Box is not included with the HU8550 and all connections are made directly to the TV? If so, then I would give an edge to the older F9000 because I'm a HUGE fan of the One Connect Box idea and I would actually lean towards picking up the F9000.

As I understand it, these TVs also have an 8-bit panel, so I would assume that colors will be limited…this is a disappointment since I am not sure that these TVs would be able to accurately render a wide variety of colors according to the new HDMI 2.0 spec or whatever 4k standards will be established over time. I also find the HU9000 series to be INCREDIBLY annoying with the curved screen idea. I wish Samsung would have included these extra features on the 8550 flat series inasmuch as I do not see any great advantage of a curved screen. I will wait to see what the reviews say about these new series TVs and how they compare to the F9000. At this time, I'm torn between getting the 8550 or the older F9000 once that older series becomes cheaper. Presumably Samsung will release a new One Connect Box for the F9000 that will give it the same features as the 8550, so I'm wondering if that will be the best option for me.

Please discuss your thoughts on this new series along with expert and owner reviews here!

See less See more
#4,822 ·
Do you happen to know why is now 2160 when it was 3840 on Netflix. Is there a way to fix it?
Thank you
There is nothing to fix. 2160p is 4k just like 1080p is HD (1920x1080). They use the second number to label it.

#4,823 ·
3.84K (UHD 4K, 8MP) is 3840 lines horizontal by 2160 lines vertical so 2160 is 4K on Netflix.
Do you happen to know why is now 2160 when it was 3840 on Netflix. Is there a way to fix it?
Thank you
2160 is 4K, on my unit it has never shown the horizontal number, just the vertical of 2160.

#4,825 ·
Thank you. Mines does show 3849/2160 on a Bluray guessing that's Correct?
Thank you again
OK to be clear 2160p = 3840x2160. It can also be 4096x2160 depending on the aspect ratio. Some devices will show the full number 3840x2160 and some will just show the 2160p number. They are the same.

#4,827 ·
Reactions: Lyons07
#4,830 ·
What is everyones opinion on pricing on the 75?

We want to pick one up but if it seems like prices will continue to fall rapidly I'm wondering if now is the time to do it or wait a month.

I have a feeling within 2-3 months it will drop 1K to around $4,500 as content grows and Christmas season starts.

If the prices will stay around to where they are I'd be ready to get one tomorrow.

We just got the 2014 Evolution box for our FU9000 55 in our bedroom and after watching some real native 4k content I was ready to head out and buy one but hate to get bit by the pricing in a short period of time.

If we're looking at gradual drops down 1K within 6 months I'd buy now because we'd get the use out of it.

#4,832 ·
What are the practical effects of LED Clear Motion (I can't picture "black frame interpolation"). I can't really notice what it's doing.

On another note, thanks for recommending Blur Reduction 10, Judder Reduction 0. Nice and clean!
It darkens the picture. I dont notice a visible benefit to motion at all. It suppose to help. I think it makes it much worse.

I dont see anyone having a good expirience with it on.

The set can reach the motion you want.

Blur 10.
Judder 0 and raise up until desired effect.

This will be your best option always.

#4,834 ·

We want to pick one up but if it seems like prices will continue to fall rapidly I'm wondering if now is the time to do it or wait a month.

I have a feeling within 2-3 months it will drop 1K to around $4,500 as content grows and Christmas season starts.

If the prices will stay around to where they are I'd be ready to get one tomorrow.

We just got the 2014 Evolution box for our FU9000 55 in our bedroom and after watching some real native 4k content I was ready to head out and buy one but hate to get bit by the pricing in a short period of time.

If we're looking at gradual drops down 1K within 6 months I'd buy now because we'd get the use out of it.
The prices do drop fast. At some point the next years model shows up.

You just have to decide when its right for you.

#4,836 ·

I guess it depends on where you buy it from and what their price guarantee is. I got my 65inch 8550 from H H Gregg and they had a 90 day price guarantee. Its already dropped $300 or so since I bought it in June. I called up and they credited my account took about a week.

IMHO I don't think a TV will drop a grand in price within a few months. Maybe a couple hundred but not grand. I could be wrong though.

#4,838 ·
I guess it depends on where you buy it from and what their price guarantee is. I got my 65inch 8550 from H H Gregg and they had a 90 day price guarantee. Its already dropped $300 or so since I bought it in June. I called up and they credited my account took about a week.

IMHO I don't think a TV will drop a grand in price within a few months. Maybe a couple hundred but not grand. I could be wrong though.
Thanks.

That is a great idea. HH Gregg has no stores in Michigan, however they seem to charge sales tax which I have to call them about.

If I can skip the sales tax I'd pick one up from them. The only one to come close is Costco but that is return/repurchase.

#4,840 ·
Thanks Chris! And I got the receipt from Diane. I swear you guys have got the best customer service.
You know it would help if Buyers from CP and other legit DISCOUNT dealers were to boast of their great deal from Chris in the great found deals with LCD.

While vendors have a strict ad pricing compliance Samsung cannot restrict an owner from making it part of Public Domain as the Owner is free to post it anywhere they want - that Vendor Contract never extends to the Buyer/Owner of the product post purchase.

What B&M's and Samsung is doing here is collusion and price fixing and screwing consumers that fall for it. While I love the looks of the 78/75" the consumers paying anywhere near these prices may as well bend over and say stick it to me!

I also had two of my IT Technicians worked part-time after hours as Geek Squad Techs and they could get me the pricing with employee discount for example on the Sharp Elite that sold at $8K and employee pricing was around $4K and even at that price BB was still making decent profit there. I'm retired now but it's no wonder BB Samsung Experience Center controls the store and there is almost no showcasing of LG, Sony, et al because with collusion/price fixing with Samsung pricing structure is the stores sucker gravy. Recall the Sony 900A inventory suddenly cut 50%+? They weren't losing money at that price folks.

My point is that I'm shocked that buyers on AVS rarely boast of their deals from Cleveland or other legit dealers over in LCD Deals section and instead people continue to go to bend over at the B&M's paying these ridiculous prices.

Amazon is even a ripoff now - they are selling many items at MSRP now with like $2 discounts on an $8K TV is absurd. Amazon used to have great deals but now they've become like any other B&M plus TAX. Middle Class disappearing and price fixing just keeps screwing consumers to the 1% Greedy Pigs at the top. My point is that AVS members discuss their purchase but rarely post the supposed great deals garnered over in that section of this forum when in fact Samsung pricing does not legally restrict a BUYER/OWNER use of the public domain. Otherwise how do you know if you got a deal or not?:confused: