AVS Forum banner
2M views 22K replies 1K participants last post by  SaberJet 
#1 ·
Hi, guys…I've decided to start a new thread on these new 2014 4k TVs from Samsung so we can talk about them. Here are some links to more info about them:

HU8550 Series (55")
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55HU9000FXZA

HU9000 Series (55")
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55HU9000FXZA

HU8550 Spec Sheet
http://www.brandsmartusa.com/pdfs/manuals/20175428.pdf

I currently have an older Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV and it has served me very well over the last few years. Since the 4k TVs came out, I was seriously considering the 55F9000 as a replacement, but now I'm looking at this new 2014 series. As far as I can tell, here are the main differences between the HU8550 series and HU9000 series (this is after doing a comparison of the two sets on the Samsung website): HU9000 has Quad Core Plus processor, while the HU8550 has a standard Quad Core; the HU9000 is Smart Evolution Ready, whereas the HU8550 does not appear to have the same feature; the HU9000 has a pop-up camera while the HU8550 has no camera; the Clear Motion Rate on the HU9000 is 1440 while the HU8550 has a Clear Motion Rate of 1200; the HU9000 has Purcolor and Auto Depth Enhancer while the HU8550 does not have either feature.

Interestingly enough, if you review the Spec Sheet for the HU8550, it also suggests that there is no One Connect Box for this series. The sheet specifically mentions that the One Connect Box is sold separately…does this mean that the One Connect Box is not included with the HU8550 and all connections are made directly to the TV? If so, then I would give an edge to the older F9000 because I'm a HUGE fan of the One Connect Box idea and I would actually lean towards picking up the F9000.

As I understand it, these TVs also have an 8-bit panel, so I would assume that colors will be limited…this is a disappointment since I am not sure that these TVs would be able to accurately render a wide variety of colors according to the new HDMI 2.0 spec or whatever 4k standards will be established over time. I also find the HU9000 series to be INCREDIBLY annoying with the curved screen idea. I wish Samsung would have included these extra features on the 8550 flat series inasmuch as I do not see any great advantage of a curved screen. I will wait to see what the reviews say about these new series TVs and how they compare to the F9000. At this time, I'm torn between getting the 8550 or the older F9000 once that older series becomes cheaper. Presumably Samsung will release a new One Connect Box for the F9000 that will give it the same features as the 8550, so I'm wondering if that will be the best option for me.

Please discuss your thoughts on this new series along with expert and owner reviews here!

See less See more
#10,102 ·
TV Not Perfectly Flat?

I have a 65HU8550 and recently noticed that it's not really 100% flat. It looks like the lower right corner is about 3/8" off from the others. I don't see that it makes any difference, but I was curious if anyone else has noticed this. I supposed the larger the TV the more likely this is to happen.

#10,105 ·
The Netflix not working has nothing to do with the Internet connection. Just like everyone else, when Netflix doesn't work, YouTube and other Internet apps work fine. Absolutely no reason to turn the "instant on" back on as having it on wastes a little energy and it only takes slightly longer for the TV to come on with it disabled.

#10,106 ·
Absolutely no reason to turn the "instant on" back on as having it on wastes a little energy and it only takes slightly longer for the TV to come on with it disabled.

Totally subjective. My reason is that I'm impatient. I'll pay an extra quarter a month for electricity and get my picture faster.

#10,107 · (Edited)
Netflix has an option for 4K streaming but it is extra. In my case, $11.99 per month (four screens, HD and 4K) versus $7.99 for two screens and HD. So maybe I wasn't seeing full 4K earlier. I upgraded and will try later today. Star Trek Into Darkness is there. And I am lucky, I guess, in that I never watched House of Cards, so now I can watch in 4K.

I heard Comcast is getting ready to roll out 4K content. Just hope it doesn't require a ridiculously expensive rental on a new DVR.

Update: upgrading my Netflix to 4K made the difference. Very sharp!

#10,108 ·
The Netflix not working has nothing to do with the Internet connection. Just like everyone else, when Netflix doesn't work, YouTube and other Internet apps work fine. Absolutely no reason to turn the "instant on" back on as having it on wastes a little energy and it only takes slightly longer for the TV to come on with it disabled.
As I said, my unit is not behaving as yours.

#10,109 · (Edited)
Netflix has an option for 4K streaming but it is extra. In my case, $11.99 per month (four screens, HD and 4K) versus $7.99 for two screens and HD. So maybe I wasn't seeing full 4K earlier. I upgraded and will try later today. Star Trek Into Darkness is there. And I am lucky, I guess, in that I never watched House of Cards, so now I can watch in 4K.

I heard Comcast is getting ready to roll out 4K content. Just hope it doesn't require a ridiculously expensive rental on a new DVR.

FYI season 1 of HOC is 1080 and season 2 is 2160. But you'll enjoy it anyway. Now if the Netflix app could get fixed to pass Dolby Digital Plus (not just Dolby Digital 5.1) then the Netflix UHD experience would be even better.

P.S. I checked (pressing the info button) and Star Trek Into Darkness is not in UHD -- just 1080 HD. But it does look great on the set. Look at the "Oceans" item in the 4K list to see some amazing 4K images.

#10,111 ·

how did star trek look in 4k? just curious since the movie wasnt show with 4k cameras, so its all 4k upscale. im wondering how the 4k streak of that is compared to the blu ray version. these 2 comparisons could also give us an idea of what a direct/comcast 4k signal could look like. i also read too that comcast plans to launch their 4k set box on the summer. what all does netflix have in 4k?

#10,112 ·

You will need to rent a new UHD-compatible DVR. The unit will operate on their X1 platform.

#10,113 ·
heres a cable update for a few that i was talking to about sports games the other day: watching the NBA game today i still see what appears to be compression artifacts, and i see it on almost every channel, the sony xbr850b didnt do this. but i have an extra cable box and i switched them out to see if there was a difference and YES, compression artifacts almost completely went away, although this box has a little less color. both these cable boxes are older style so ill probably call comcast and request a newer cable box. btw upscaling to 4k thru the oppo still blows away the samsung 4k upscale, even the samsung upscale picture is soft looking. the oppo makes a huge difference here!

#10,114 ·
Totally subjective. My reason is that I'm impatient. I'll pay an extra quarter a month for electricity and get my picture faster.
I prefer to turn OFF the Instant ON feature because I believe it compares to a cold boot on a computer rather than waking from sleep/standby. This might result in a cleaner operating environment, especially if an app had an issue. That is likely why a recent poster noted that a Netflix issue resolved itself simply by turning OFF the Instant ON feature and cycling power.

#10,115 · (Edited)
so i was trying to see if bypassing my avr would give me a better picture so i switched a few hdmi cords around, i unplugged my regular cable from HDMI 1 and plugged it into HDMI4(arc), didnt see a difference, so when i went to rehook it back up into HDMI1, the cord is no longer being recognized, as if nothing is plugged in. none of my HDMI 1-3 now are picking up the signal, HDMI 4 is the only one that is now recognizing my avr, and idk what it is but it seems like the signal looks worse thru HDMI 4.

EDIT: i shut the tv off, then switched plugs, then turned back on. did the trick as HDMI 1 is working again.

#10,116 ·
so i was trying to see if bypassing my avr would give me a better picture so i switched a few hdmi cords around, i unplugged my regular cable from HDMI 1 and plugged it into HDMI4(arc), didnt see a difference, so when i went to rehook it back up into HDMI1, the cord is no longer being recognized, as if nothing is plugged in. none of my HDMI 1-3 now are picking up the signal, HDMI 4 is the only one that is now recognizing my avr, and idk what it is but it seems like the signal looks worse thru HDMI 4.

EDIT: i shut the tv off, then switched plugs, then turned back on. did the trick as HDMI 1 is working again.
Do you own the Samsung or Sony? You seem to be posting problems with both sets in both threads?
Isn't HDMI 3 the arc? I have the hu9000 so I'm not sure about the hu8550.

#10,117 ·
I have been seriously leaning towards the HU8550. Any one have experience with this set? Am I loosing anything by stepping down to he 8550 (I assume it is not their top of the line being numbered in the 8 thousands). I do not want curved. I want 4K 3D, best they have but under $7,000 for around a 65 - 75".

Thoughts?

#10,120 ·
I prefer to turn OFF the Instant ON feature because I believe it compares to a cold boot on a computer rather than waking from sleep/standby. This might result in a cleaner operating environment, especially if an app had an issue. That is likely why a recent poster noted that a Netflix issue resolved itself simply by turning OFF the Instant ON feature and cycling power.

Good idea. I'll turn it off if I ever think that I need a cold boot.