AVS Forum banner
2M views 22K replies 1K participants last post by  SaberJet 
#1 ·
Hi, guys…I've decided to start a new thread on these new 2014 4k TVs from Samsung so we can talk about them. Here are some links to more info about them:

HU8550 Series (55")
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55HU9000FXZA

HU9000 Series (55")
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55HU9000FXZA

HU8550 Spec Sheet
http://www.brandsmartusa.com/pdfs/manuals/20175428.pdf

I currently have an older Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV and it has served me very well over the last few years. Since the 4k TVs came out, I was seriously considering the 55F9000 as a replacement, but now I'm looking at this new 2014 series. As far as I can tell, here are the main differences between the HU8550 series and HU9000 series (this is after doing a comparison of the two sets on the Samsung website): HU9000 has Quad Core Plus processor, while the HU8550 has a standard Quad Core; the HU9000 is Smart Evolution Ready, whereas the HU8550 does not appear to have the same feature; the HU9000 has a pop-up camera while the HU8550 has no camera; the Clear Motion Rate on the HU9000 is 1440 while the HU8550 has a Clear Motion Rate of 1200; the HU9000 has Purcolor and Auto Depth Enhancer while the HU8550 does not have either feature.

Interestingly enough, if you review the Spec Sheet for the HU8550, it also suggests that there is no One Connect Box for this series. The sheet specifically mentions that the One Connect Box is sold separately…does this mean that the One Connect Box is not included with the HU8550 and all connections are made directly to the TV? If so, then I would give an edge to the older F9000 because I'm a HUGE fan of the One Connect Box idea and I would actually lean towards picking up the F9000.

As I understand it, these TVs also have an 8-bit panel, so I would assume that colors will be limited…this is a disappointment since I am not sure that these TVs would be able to accurately render a wide variety of colors according to the new HDMI 2.0 spec or whatever 4k standards will be established over time. I also find the HU9000 series to be INCREDIBLY annoying with the curved screen idea. I wish Samsung would have included these extra features on the 8550 flat series inasmuch as I do not see any great advantage of a curved screen. I will wait to see what the reviews say about these new series TVs and how they compare to the F9000. At this time, I'm torn between getting the 8550 or the older F9000 once that older series becomes cheaper. Presumably Samsung will release a new One Connect Box for the F9000 that will give it the same features as the 8550, so I'm wondering if that will be the best option for me.

Please discuss your thoughts on this new series along with expert and owner reviews here!

See less See more
#20,621 ·
The 75" version of this TV is getting harder to get thus is costing more. It's a little over $4000 for the 75" along with the SEK3500. That's still slightly cheaper then the UN75JU7100. Thoughts on which way to go?
The 75hu with SEK 3500U is better than the JU7100 better dimming better video processing full OCB upgradability and the panel is 10 bits.

#20,622 ·
Unfortunately the 2014 HU series were not capable of 5.1 passthrough from external devices which were limited to 2 channel forcing you to have to run everthing through your Receiver which is what you are trying to avoid.

Happilly 2015 changed that! :)

If you are prepared to upgrade to the SEK-3500U Evo Kit it offers the Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 Surround passthrough you are seeking.

The Evo Kit also offers a number of other added enhancements and features. Click on the link to the SEK-3500U Frequently Asked Questions in my signature. If you scroll to the bottom of that post there is a chart summarizing the improvements.

By the way, the built-in apps that support it (e.g. Netflix) should currently be sending DD 5.1 to your AVR but perhaps you haven't set these up yet. In the aforementioned FAQ there is an entry on how to enable that.

Here is a screen shot of my TV passing DTS...
Per your recommendation...... sad to say it but got the Evo kit and I love it. Working wonders but kind of sad to think that I had to get this just to get 5.1 working properly

I own two other Samsung sets one from 2011 and one from 2013 and I just came to realize they both exhibit the same problems, the non-ability to pass-through 5.1 audio for some sources properly.

Regardless its whatever I upgraded, I'm happy.

Edit: Got myself a 55" Sony X850B 4K TV for my loft area and it has no configuration options for audio, it just passes the audio through automatically, no processing, no nothing. Less flexibility but this to me personally is actually more desirable, I wish Samsung units did this, can't believe Samsung has been able to get away with this for a good amount of time now, to me it's a very big thing, good picture is not complete without good audio and I like setting things up properly without workarounds (e.g. connecting devices directly to TV and AVR directly to HDMI ARC port and having it do what it's suppose to do, pass through the audio)

Either way at least I got both units to pass through audio properly, the SEK-3500u allows me to pass through HD Audio as an option which seems to mean I can pass through DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD, haven't tested yet but I have my PS4 connected and will test sometime today, hope it works, only thing I really want left. If this works, the SEK-3500u is definitely a must with all Samsung 4K TVs especially if you have a good audio system, you're Samsung 4K TV pretty much has a broken firmware for passing through proper surround audio otherwise.

Reactions: player002
#20,623 ·
Per your recommendation...... sad to say it but got the Evo kit and I love it. Working wonders but kind of sad to think that I had to get this just to get 5.1 working properly

I own two other Samsung sets one from 2011 and one from 2013 and I just came to realize they both exhibit the same problems, the non-ability to pass-through 5.1 audio for some sources properly.

Regardless its whatever I upgraded, I'm happy.

Edit: Got myself a 55" Sony X850B 4K TV for my loft area and it has no configuration options for audio, it just passes the audio through automatically, no processing, no nothing. Less flexibility but this to me personally is actually more desirable, I wish Samsung units did this, can't believe Samsung has been able to get away with this for a good amount of time now, to me it's a very big thing, good picture is not complete without good audio and I like setting things up properly without workarounds (e.g. connecting devices directly to TV and AVR directly to HDMI ARC port and having it do what it's suppose to do, pass through the audio)

Either way at least I got both units to pass through audio properly, the SEK-3500u allows me to pass through HD Audio as an option which seems to mean I can pass through DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD, haven't tested yet but I have my PS4 connected and will test sometime today, hope it works, only thing I really want left. If this works, the SEK-3500u is definitely a must with all Samsung 4K TVs especially if you have a good audio system, you're Samsung 4K TV pretty much has a broken firmware for passing through proper surround audio otherwise.
Glad to hear it's doing pretty much everything you were looking for. Unfortunately it won't pass through DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD but this is due to the limitation of ARC.

The following excerpt is from a CNET article...

ARC only passes Dolby Digital. So those new high-resolution audio formats available on Blu-ray discs, namely Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, are unavailable over ARC. This isn't the TV manufacturers' fault, but it's still annoying.
Full Article: http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-audio-return-channel-arc/

In order to hear Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD you would need a device such as a blu-ray player with dual HDMI outputs such as what I have in my setup... or a Receiver capable of HDMI pass through which I don't.

For your perusal I have attached a copy of my wiring diagram.

Attachments

Reactions: kenih
#20,624 ·
Looking for some general opinions on the condition of this panel so I can fully gauge whether or not I'm being unreasonable.

This is my replacement panel from Samsung. The frame of the panel itself is slightly warped/bent. It's off between 0.25 and 0.5 inches when being measured from the wall on various sides, the top right hand corner showing the most discrepancy. I was told last Friday that because of the number of calls to my home, the hours spent dealing with this (since July 20th) and the fact that new issues arose, I'd be eligible for an exchange or buyback. Turns out that was an flat out lie.

As you can see, there's a considerable blob in the top center of the screen. I'm already after them because of the bent frame (I'm concerned that it's putting pressure on the panel itself), but I included this as evidence as well. Doesn't look normal to me, but perhaps I'm just asking for too much at this point.

Attachments

#20,625 ·
Looking for some general opinions on the condition of this panel so I can fully gauge whether or not I'm being unreasonable.

This is my replacement panel from Samsung. The frame of the panel itself is slightly warped/bent. It's off between 0.25 and 0.5 inches when being measured from the wall on various sides, the top right hand corner showing the most discrepancy. I was told last Friday that because of the number of calls to my home, the hours spent dealing with this (since July 20th) and the fact that new issues arose, I'd be eligible for an exchange or buyback. Turns out that was an flat out lie.

As you can see, there's a considerable blob in the top center of the screen. I'm already after them because of the bent frame (I'm concerned that it's putting pressure on the panel itself), but I included this as evidence as well. Doesn't look normal to me, but perhaps I'm just asking for too much at this point.
Is the image on the thumbnail a grey-scale ramp?

#20,627 ·
Firmware 1121

Samsung gets worse and worse. I already had to put up with nag screens for updating the firmware even though I had ALL notifications turned off. Firmware 1120 had already ruined my TV (in my opinion), but I had no plans to update to 1121. I was in the Vudu app, about to start a movie, then the nag screen to update the firmware popped up *exactly* as I was pushing the select button to pick a movie. SO, it then proceeded to update my firmware to 1121.

Now I get freaking ADS on my Smarthub quick menu. ADS!!! I've opted out of all ads in the TV and selected that I do not agree to their crap. But I still get ADS on my TV.

Does anyone know the domains to block to keep these ads from coming up on the menu? I've seen the URLs in this thread for blocking updates (which I will likely do soon), but seeing ads for crap I don't want puts me into pure rage. It's already bad enough that they keep loading up the TV with apps that I can't delete (whyTF would I want a PGA app??), but ads are the last straw.

TLDR; how do I block the freaking ads that now show up in my smarthub quick menu with firmware 1121?

TLDR2; if you're on firmware 1110, KEEP IT. Do not upgrade!!!

#20,628 ·
It's already bad enough that they keep loading up the TV with apps that I can't delete (whyTF would I want a PGA app??), but ads are the last straw.
And while we are raging why would Samsung choose to include the bug ridden Weather Network app and not allow us to delete it to free up memory.

Here is a letter I fired off to the contact email the other day (and even copied in the Media Communications contact). Needless to say I am not holding my breath for a reply!

______________________________​

I wrote to you some time ago regarding bugs in your Weather Network application available on my Samsung Smart TV but never received a reply.

I have included a couple of pictures demonstrating the bugs.

Picture 1 - Although today is Thursday, September 17 the first day showing in the 10 day forecast is Friday, September 17 when in fact Friday is tomorrow and it will be September 18th.

Picture 2 - Again the 10 day forecast is down right buggy. Notice how September 27 is showing as a Monday even though that date is a Sunday? And since when did October 30th fall the day after September 29th?

On top of those very obvious bugs there are others such as the map data sometimes not loading but rather than waiting for you to fix your app (or reply to messages), I think I will just switch to AccuWeather which works flawlessly.

Attachments

#20,629 ·
Man, if you aren't satisfied don't settle. I know it's a hassle, but that's alot of money you paid. I had a set that I didn't like, so I returned it and got a new one. It was the best move, I made as I was able to get a better set and a Samsung panel.

Make Samsung make you happy. If they want to keep you as a customer, then they need to make it right.

#20,630 ·
Samsung gets worse and worse. I already had to put up with nag screens for updating the firmware even though I had ALL notifications turned off. Firmware 1120 had already ruined my TV (in my opinion), but I had no plans to update to 1121. I was in the Vudu app, about to start a movie, then the nag screen to update the firmware popped up *exactly* as I was pushing the select button to pick a movie. SO, it then proceeded to update my firmware to 1121.

Now I get freaking ADS on my Smarthub quick menu. ADS!!! I've opted out of all ads in the TV and selected that I do not agree to their crap. But I still get ADS on my TV.

Does anyone know the domains to block to keep these ads from coming up on the menu? I've seen the URLs in this thread for blocking updates (which I will likely do soon), but seeing ads for crap I don't want puts me into pure rage. It's already bad enough that they keep loading up the TV with apps that I can't delete (whyTF would I want a PGA app??), but ads are the last straw.

TLDR; how do I block the freaking ads that now show up in my smarthub quick menu with firmware 1121?

TLDR2; if you're on firmware 1110, KEEP IT. Do not upgrade!!!
I have the 8550, pre-3550 and was recently Forced on Golf 2160 FW (which I had not wanted due to Advertising introduced) and I started seeing a Banner 'Click-Ad' at screen top about every four hours.

This made that stop:

Menu>Smart Hub>Apps Settings>Push Notification Settings>Push Notification and make sure "OFF" is checked.

First open of 'Smart Hub' after Forced Update had offered an agreement to accept and I had declined.

That "Push Notification" had previously been checked "Off" but that 'Update' had turned it on along with several other setting changes including 'Picture' and 'Auto-Update'.

I have now Blocked Samsung's (OTN) update sites at my Router and plan any future Firmware Flashes to be if/when I want using their USB method.

To prevent future unwanted Firmware Flashes it is important to place a block on your Router to prevent TV from uploading the update. Once it's residing on your system (uploaded), you are not only going to see those nag-screens, but it's just a matter of time before the update will be forced on you.

Link below opens a post I made here on blocking that upload site. Of course you are going to have to do it by whatever method your modem/router uses, if it allows "Website Blocking".

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1522081-official-samsung-4k-hu8550-hu9000-thread-post37036938.html#post37036938

The link at bottom of my sig shows instructions for my modem/router; you will have to locate a similar site for your's.
Art

#20,631 ·
Strange that the same firmware would behave this differently. I have a 75mb connection ... so thats not a streaming issue.

On a different internet connection note (not related to your Amazon issue):

If you have a wired connection on your computer and TV, when you do a speed test on your computer do you see 75+ Mbps?

Do you see the same 75+ Mbps when you a speed test on your TV using the SmartHub browser?

#20,632 ·
In case folks did not notice - StarZ HD App is now available for Samsung SmartTV - downloaded it yesterday. You need to sign in (through your provider credentials). Picture is sharp but the black level is bad. I had to tweak Dynamic Contrast to make it look right ... which is strange because content on Netflix and Amazon look amazing without any adjustments.

#20,633 ·
and ...... my 55HU8550 just died :(

It's been acting funny the last week or so. When I would turn it on after it being off for an extended period of time, it would turn back off after 3-5 seconds.
When I would turn it back on again it would be fine. Until tonight. Turned it on, it went off. Turn it on. Fine for half hour forty five minutes. Left the room and came back to what looks like only the backlight on. No other picture. No OSD. No menus. Unplugged for a few minutes. Same thing. Trying an extended unplug as I type this.

#20,634 ·
and ...... my 55HU8550 just died :(

It's been acting funny the last week or so. When I would turn it on after it being off for an extended period of time, it would turn back off after 3-5 seconds.
When I would turn it back on again it would be fine. Until tonight. Turned it on, it went off. Turn it on. Fine for half hour forty five minutes. Left the room and came back to what looks like only the backlight on. No other picture. No OSD. No menus. Unplugged for a few minutes. Same thing. Trying an extended unplug as I type this.
Warranty time

#20,635 ·
Greetings. I am new to this specific thread. I own a UN55HU9000FXZA Samsung 4KTV. I wanted to ask any fellow forum members about this SEK 3500U Evolution Kit. I am considering getting one but I wanted to ask the following prior to purchase; Do any of you know if it is possible to go back to your stock one connect box if for some reason you don't like the new evolution kit? If so how do you do it? Also, would the SEK 3500U leave anything on your tv that you cannot get rid of or prevent you from using any settings that are on the stock one connect box? Please let me know if any of you can shed some light on this. Thank you very much.

#20,636 ·
Greetings. I am new to this specific thread. I own a UN55HU9000FXZA Samsung 4KTV. I wanted to ask any fellow forum members about this SEK 3500U Evolution Kit. I am considering getting one but I wanted to ask the following prior to purchase; Do any of you know if it is possible to go back to your stock one connect box if for some reason you don't like the new evolution kit? If so how do you do it? Also, would the SEK 3500U leave anything on your tv that you cannot get rid of or prevent you from using any settings that are on the stock one connect box? Please let me know if any of you can shed some light on this. Thank you very much.
This users experience suggests there's no issue with going back to original OCB because he has to in order to backup correct settings to upgrade because his original OCB was lost in a move. I'm sure others can share more but following his posts may help.
http://www.avsforum.com/showthread.php?p=37534130

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

#20,637 ·
I go back and forth whenever there's a new FW update for the old OCB.
Just don't SAVE to move back to the 3500, after you've originally did it to install. Just swap cables over.
3500 will improve PQ by 25%, plus all the updates that appear to get more numerous as time passes, and technology moves on.

#20,639 ·
Searching Apps Seagate media APP

I have the 75" 4K 8550 and recently installed a Seagate cloud on my computer. I should be able to stream directly to Samsung Smart TVs using the Seagate media APP.
However, I can't find it in the video app list.
Is there a search function for apps? When I click search from my remote it searches YouTube videos.

Does anyone know if this app is available on this model? Can't find too much info on the Samsung webs except it is listed as a video app.

Thanks,
Stuart

#20,640 ·
Long time follower, first time posting!! PS if it wasn't for this forum I would have never been able to make such an educated decision when purchasing my tv...so thanks in advance.

I have the UN65HU9000, TS01 purchased in July as a final closeout at Conns. The TV works great with the One-Connect. I purchased an Evo Kit SEK-3500 from Amazon and after connecting the kit, the camera has stopped working. I have spent what seems like days on the phone with Samsung, they have remotely accessed the TV and checked all kinda of stuff. I have reconnected the One-Connect and updated to FW1270 (I wasn't able to update the firmware with the evo kit connected. Even via USB the Evo Kit wouldn't take the 1270 FW update..weird right?

Samsung wanted to send out a tech, but I kept explaining that the TV works great with the One-Connect, as soon as I connect the Evo Kit the camera quits working.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a solution that I am missing? I'm hoping the smart people hear can help!!

Thanks