AVS Forum banner
2M views 22K replies 1K participants last post by  SaberJet 
#1 ·
Hi, guys…I've decided to start a new thread on these new 2014 4k TVs from Samsung so we can talk about them. Here are some links to more info about them:

HU8550 Series (55")
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55HU9000FXZA

HU9000 Series (55")
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55HU9000FXZA

HU8550 Spec Sheet
http://www.brandsmartusa.com/pdfs/manuals/20175428.pdf

I currently have an older Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV and it has served me very well over the last few years. Since the 4k TVs came out, I was seriously considering the 55F9000 as a replacement, but now I'm looking at this new 2014 series. As far as I can tell, here are the main differences between the HU8550 series and HU9000 series (this is after doing a comparison of the two sets on the Samsung website): HU9000 has Quad Core Plus processor, while the HU8550 has a standard Quad Core; the HU9000 is Smart Evolution Ready, whereas the HU8550 does not appear to have the same feature; the HU9000 has a pop-up camera while the HU8550 has no camera; the Clear Motion Rate on the HU9000 is 1440 while the HU8550 has a Clear Motion Rate of 1200; the HU9000 has Purcolor and Auto Depth Enhancer while the HU8550 does not have either feature.

Interestingly enough, if you review the Spec Sheet for the HU8550, it also suggests that there is no One Connect Box for this series. The sheet specifically mentions that the One Connect Box is sold separately…does this mean that the One Connect Box is not included with the HU8550 and all connections are made directly to the TV? If so, then I would give an edge to the older F9000 because I'm a HUGE fan of the One Connect Box idea and I would actually lean towards picking up the F9000.

As I understand it, these TVs also have an 8-bit panel, so I would assume that colors will be limited…this is a disappointment since I am not sure that these TVs would be able to accurately render a wide variety of colors according to the new HDMI 2.0 spec or whatever 4k standards will be established over time. I also find the HU9000 series to be INCREDIBLY annoying with the curved screen idea. I wish Samsung would have included these extra features on the 8550 flat series inasmuch as I do not see any great advantage of a curved screen. I will wait to see what the reviews say about these new series TVs and how they compare to the F9000. At this time, I'm torn between getting the 8550 or the older F9000 once that older series becomes cheaper. Presumably Samsung will release a new One Connect Box for the F9000 that will give it the same features as the 8550, so I'm wondering if that will be the best option for me.

Please discuss your thoughts on this new series along with expert and owner reviews here!

See less See more
#21,487 ·
If that is the only advantage that the kit will give me then I will save 400 bucks. I was told by Samsung that the evolution kit would not make my tv HDR compatible anyway. My main concern was just usability.
I think Members who have the 8550 + SEK may disagree with you. Octo core improves video conversions, gives a brighter and better PQ, and along with other improvements. Then why bother with the 4K UHD Blu-ray, (Save another $400) if you're only going to be able to enjoy part of it?

#21,489 ·
What other improvements? Gonna go broke asking questions. LOL As far as the Octo core goes doesn't that pertain to the streaming services like Netflix or Amazon?

Just PM @Musician

He can share with you "the list" of improvements.

Richard

#21,490 ·
If that is the only advantage that the kit will give me then I will save 400 bucks. I was told by Samsung that the evolution kit would not make my tv HDR compatible anyway. My main concern was just usability.
The 400 bucks you save will make your set obsolete by next years hisense junk.

#21,491 ·
The 400 bucks you save will make your set obsolete by next years hisense junk.
I am a bit of a novice with all this, so please bear with me, as these last few comments have really caught my interest, as I am trying to get up to speed on whether or not to invest in the evolution kit.

Here is what I have: 2014 un65hu8550
Samsung 4k BD player (just got it Saturday)
In the market for a new compatable reciever.

Can someone tell me if I am correct in these assumptions:

HDMI port 1: 2.0
port 2: 2.0
port 3: 2.2
port 4: 2.0

If this assumption is correct, what additional advantages are there with the evolution kit? (I read here, lots of improvement in picture quality, possibly HDR, etc. , but I love my picture now, cant imagine it being much better:) )

anyway, my plan was to connect the 4K player directly to the compatable reciever (yet to be determined), then the reciever to the TV. (at least that is the instructions in the Samsung user manual) Which ports should I use on the tv from the reciever? I also have an apple tv, should I also route it directly to the reciever, or leave it direct to the TV?

Thanks I appreciate it.

#21,492 ·
Personally, I wouldn't even bother buying the UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player if you aren't prepared to spend the money to upgrade to the SEK-3500.

Might as well just stick with your HU8550 and existing 1080p Blu-ray Player and let it upscale to 4K just like your HU8550's YouTube app is currently doing without the benefit of the SEK-3500U Evolution Kit.

Here is the list of Features, Upgrades, and Improvements that @King Richard mentioned which are based on feedback from owners of the top-tier 2014 models in the http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...-2015-samsung-sek-3500u-za-evolution-kit.html thread.

With the upgrade to the SEK-3500U your TV will share the same firmware and Operating System as the JS9000 and JS9500 series (but obviously not the same panel characteristics).

In addition to the aforementioned Octa-Core and upgrade to full 18Gbps HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 on all ports -- the processing is further enhanced by the inclusion of VP9, a new version of HEVC, and the new H chipset which all contribute to the improved picture processing capabilities.

But hey, it's your money.

Have a great day. :)

Disclaimer: I receive no payola from Samsung for promoting the Evo Kit

#21,493 ·
Beautiful, and using Green relates to Money!
Money saved by NOT having to buy the 2015 Model! So $400 versus thousands, and only about 5% less quality than the 2015s in PQ.
PLUS the Samsung and Future UHD Blu-ray players can get almost 100% of what they're capable of! Versus 55%?

Reactions: Musician
#21,494 ·
I know this has probably been posted before but I just got the Samsung UBD-K8500 setup in my system and was wondering if someone could help me with tv settings on my Samsung UN75HU8550 with SEK 3500 to watch HDR UHD Blu Ray disks?

#21,495 ·
I know this has probably been posted before but I just got the Samsung UBD-K8500 setup in my system and was wondering if someone could help me with tv settings on my Samsung UN75HU8550 with SEK 3500 to watch HDR UHD Blu Ray disks?
As a heads up to other members, @sonofsoren PM'd on April 28th and over the course of the next week we had the following exchange posted below and now he has taken to cross-posting his request for help in multiple threads except for the obvious one.

Believe it or not this topic has been covered extensively in the
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...r-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-owner-s-thread.html thread.

If you are going to ask for help you could at least take the time to post YOUR settings for both your TV and K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player and articulate what anomolies you are having to see what others might suggest rather than making them start at square one!

Once again another apparent case where a member feels their time is too valuable to search and read threads.

________________________________​

April 28th 1:59pm
sonofsoren said:
Musician,
I recently purchased this player and was wondering if you would recommend what settings I need to get it looking it's best. I will have it going through a Marantz AV8802A to a Samsung SEK-3500 evolution kit to a Samsung UN75HU8550 tv. Thanks in advance for your help.
Thank you,
Stephen
April 28th 2:56pm
Musician said:
Sure.

Use Method 2 to hook it up using 2 HDMI cables in order to use my little BD Wise trick that has the player automatically set the Resolution depending on the disk.

Here ya go...

UN78HU9000

Picture Mode: Movie *
Backlight: 8
Contrast: 92
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 5
Color: 45
Tint: G50/R50

Dynamic Contrast: Medium
Black Tone: Off
Flesh Tone: 0
Color Space: Native
Gamma: 2

Color Tone: Warm 2
Digital Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI Black Level: Auto
HDMI UHD Color: On
Film Mode: Off

Auto Motion Plus: Clear

Smart LED: High
Cinema Black: On

* Make sure Menu > System > General > BD Wise is turned OFF in the TV settings

UBD-K8500

Picture
Picture Mode: Default

3D Settings
  • 3D Blu-ray Playback: Auto
  • Size: 78"

TV Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Original
BD Wise: On
Resolution: BD Wise
Movie Frame (24Fs): Auto
DVD 24Fs Conversion: Off
Fit Screen Size Size : 4
HDMI Color Format: YCbCr(4:4:4)
HDMI Deep Color: Off

Sound
Digital Output (Uncompressed): Bitstream
PCM Downsampling: Off
Dynamic Range Control: Off
Downmixing Mode: Surround Comp.
DTS Neo:6 Mode: Off
Audio Sync: 0 ms
HDMI Audio Output: Auto

System
Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC): ___

Note: A few of the above settings may be different depending on your particular equipment, screen size, wiring, and configuration choices.
April 28th @ 4:15pm
sonofsoren said:
Thank you! I can't wait to get this player up and running! I'll report back on the thread my findings.
Thanks again,
Stephen
April 28th 4:44pm
Musician said:
Sounds great.

Now if you like my settings tell the world how wonderful they are. But if by chance you don't like em, keep your trap shut! Haha.
:D
April 28th 5:10pm
sonofsoren said:
Only glowing praise of course - got it:)
April 30th 10:30am
sonofsoren said:
Thanks for all the info on setting up the player. I had an additional question. Do you know anything about modifying a Samsung SEK-3500 with a UN75HU8550 to think it is a JS8500 to get Amazon and Netflix HDR content? I was looking through the forums for setting in the service menu but could not find anything specific. Thanks in advance for your help!
April 30th 2:31pm
Musician said:
Yep, I know all about the hack. Don't! Repeat don't.

It has the potential to brick your SEK and void the warranty on your beautiful 75 inch HU8550. In the last week I know of two guys who bricked their boxes. One managed to get theirs back working while the other guy is out $400 bucks because they had to go out and replace it.

At best it is only going to allow you to view Amazon HDR but eventually they may offer it to HU + SEK anyways. From what I understand there isn't much HDR content on Amazon anyways.

As for Netflix the only Samsung sets that are getting HDR from them are the 2016 KS series but from what I hear through the grapevine is that this will be rolling out to JS and HU + SEK as early as June.

Now that you own the K8500 player you might be interested to know that UHD BD is capable of over 108+ Mbps versus the aforementioned apps that only provide 16 Mbps.

Cheers
April 30th 9:17pm
sonofsoren said:
Thanks for the tip! I think I will pass on modifying my sek-3500 to the JS model as you recommend. That would be great if they eventually allow the HDR streaming from Amazon and Netflix. Until then, I can enjoy the 8500 UHD blu ray disks and get HDR from them. Thanks again for the sound advice.
May 3rd 6:07pm
sonofsoren said:
Hello Musician. I was also wondering if you recommend using both hdmi outputs from the K8500, one for the sek 3500 and one for my preamp? I have a Marantz AV8802A with hdmi 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 compliance so don't know if/what benefits there are to running two hdmi outs. Also, saw that folks are reporting getting Amazon HDR out of the K8500 to their sek 3500s - any luck on your end with this?
Thank you,
Stephen
May 4th 6:33am
Musician said:
Running 2 HDMI's gives you the the following main advantages:

- you can use separate settings for your BD Player input. Especially important that Color Space be set to Native for this input and Auto for any other inputs

- as stated previously, allows you to have BD Wise turned ON in the player (but lesve it OFF on the TV) so that the Resolution is set automatically to 1080p or 2160p depending on disk type

Regarding Amazon, aren't you glad you waited instead of hacking your SEK-3500 :)

If you have more questions about the Amazon app, you should probably post these on the K8500 thread for a couple of reasons. We don't get it in Canada and secondly, I am on vacation in Mexico.
:D
May 4th 1:14pm
sonofsoren said:
Got it - just wanted to contact someone I trusted on avsforums:) Thanks for your help! Have a good time on vacation in Mexico!

Reactions: Hairsonfire
#21,496 ·
As a heads up to other members, @sonofsoren PM'd on April 28th and over the course of the next week we had the following exchange posted below and now he has taken to cross-posting his request for help in multiple threads except for the obvious one.

Believe it or not this topic has been covered extensively in the
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...r-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-owner-s-thread.html thread.

If you are going to ask for help you could at least take the time to post YOUR settings for both your TV and K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player and articulate what anomolies you are having to see what others might suggest rather than making them start at square one!

Once again another apparent case where a member feels their time is too valuable to search and read threads.

________________________________​

April 28th 1:59pm

April 28th 2:56pm

April 28th @ 4:15pm

April 28th 4:44pm

April 28th 5:10pm

April 30th 10:30am

April 30th 2:31pm

April 30th 9:17pm

May 3rd 6:07pm

May 4th 6:33am

May 4th 1:14pm
Musician,
I did not mean to upset you and appreciate your help very much, and I highly value your opinions. I was finally able to set up my Samsung UBD-K8500 today and used the following setting that you provided to me:
UBD-K8500

Picture

3D Settings

3D Blu-Ray Playback: Auto
Size: 75"

Fit Screen Size: 4
HDMI Color Format: YCbCr (4:4:4)

Sound

Digital Output: (Uncompressed): Bitstream

System
Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC): On

My calibrated settings are:

UN75HU8550

Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 9
Contrast: 95
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50

Advanced Settings Sub Menu

Dynamic Contrast: Off
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color Space: Custom
White Balance: Gamma: -1

Picture Options Sub Menu

Film Mode: Auto 1
Auto Motion Plus: Off
Smart LED: Off

I did search through the various threads and did see where some people were putting the backlighting to 20 and contrast to 100 and turning off BDWise on the TV and selecting Movie Mode. Since we had different displays, I was just wondering if it was recommended to change any of my settings on my 8550 tv with SEK-3500 before watching my first UHD Blu Ray tonight (Revenant). Once I have watched my first UHD Blu Ray, I will report back up on how it looked with my settings.

#21,499 · (Edited by Moderator)
Musician,
I did not mean to upset you and appreciate your help very much, and I highly value your opinions. I was finally able to set up my Samsung UBD-K8500 today and used the following setting that you provided to me:

UBD-K8500

Picture

3D Settings

3D Blu-Ray Playback: Auto
Size: 75"

Fit Screen Size: 4
HDMI Color Format: YCbCr (4:4:4)

Sound

Digital Output: (Uncompressed): Bitstream

System
Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC): On

My calibrated settings are:

UN75HU8550

Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 9
Contrast: 95
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50

Advanced Settings Sub Menu

Dynamic Contrast: Off
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color Space: Custom
White Balance: Gamma: -1

Picture Options Sub Menu

Film Mode: Auto 1
Auto Motion Plus: Off
Smart LED: Off

I did search through the various threads and did see where some people were putting the backlighting to 20 and contrast to 100 and turning off BDWise on the TV and selecting Movie Mode. Since we had different displays, I was just wondering if it was recommended to change any of my settings on my 8550 tv with SEK-3500 before watching my first UHD Blu Ray tonight (Revenant). Once I have watched my first UHD Blu Ray, I will report back up on how it looked with my settings.
Nice try! How would anybody be able to recommend changes to your settings if they didn't know what your settings were since you didn't bother providing them yesterday? Nor were they privy to our Private Messages where amongst other things, I provided you with my settings which are used by many owners of the UBD-K8500?

If you have spent any length of time in the K8500 thread or, better yet, actually played a UHD disk in the weeks since aquiring your player you would see that it's not a matter of people "putting the backlighting to 20 and contrast to 100" -- rather this happens automatically when playing a UHD disk encoded with HDR.

As for BD Wise, I already covered this on April 28th by telling you that I use Movie mode on the TV and to make sure BD Wise is turned off on the TV by doing the following:

Make sure Menu > System > General > BD Wise is turned OFF in the TV settings