2014 LG THREAD - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 895 Old 04-18-2014, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey guys there is somebody that put up a negative review on Amazon for the 55LB7200. They are saying it is not 240Hz and is only 60Hz. He said he called LG and spoke to them about it.eek.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 895 Old 04-18-2014, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparbob7 View Post

Hey guys there is somebody that put up a negative review on Amazon for the 55LB7200. They are saying it is not 240Hz and is only 60Hz. He said he called LG and spoke to them about it.eek.gif

I get the impression that guy didn't now what he was talking about. This is a 240Hz set by all indications. Also, the other YT video mentioned in this thread, here:

Seems to show a similar vertical aberration to what I've seen on my set, see the Netflix background around 3:30. It may be a characteristic of the design of these sets.

As for returning it, I bought it from Frys which is not local to me, and the problem is not egregious enough during normal use to hassle over returning it. Shooting off axis seems to emphasize it more and adjusting settings has seemed to help reduce it.
post #273 of 895 Old 04-18-2014, 09:38 AM

As for those asking for the input lag on the 55LB7200, my unscientific test using reaction speed tests, relative to my laptop's direct display versus its HDMI output.

With the TV set to Expert1 (an ISF mode with full image processing) it was about 90ms (my paltry reaction speed going from 257 to 349)

In game mode, it was almost exactly 30ms.
post #274 of 895 Old 04-18-2014, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14

the store should open probably by the end of the month, but that can always change.

post #275 of 895 Old 04-18-2014, 10:07 AM

that is a result of how the UI was designed in LG TV's....basically a dumb customer and a dumb customer service rep. on all LG TV's (120hz or any TV for that matter) when you click on the screen it gives you info like what input you are on and the time etc... it also will tell you the resolution and the Hz. What the LG TV displays is what is 'incoming signal' to the TV, not what it is actually showing you. so for example, i might have a 120Hz TV or a 240Hz TV and no matter what the TV will always only display 60Hz at the top of the screen. this is because the TV is 'receiving' 60Hz...

LG TV's will never, in any place in the TV, display '120Hz' (or 240). it will always say 60Hz. with Trumotion on or off (LG's motion interpolation) you are always getting 120/240hz, even though the info bar at the top always says 60hz.

LB7200  IS DEFINATELY 240hz.

post #276 of 895 Old 04-18-2014, 10:57 AM

I wrote a comment to him on Amazon saying that.

You are right but also if you have a blu ray player that supports 24Hz than the TV will display 24Hz. My 47LM7600 does and I seen the video on here of this one and it displayed 24Hz.
post #277 of 895 Old 04-18-2014, 11:49 AM

correct, forgot to mention that...many thanks sir.

post #278 of 895 Old 04-18-2014, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf13 View Post

A couple things that worked for me was changing my router and modems ipv4 and ipv6 dns to google dns you can do ping test to see which one works better. This helps to see what server is closest. My ISP doesn't throttle or have bandwitdh caps, but like Everyone else when the network gets loaded during peak times I had issues with netflix. This solved my issues and I can enjoy the 100mb connection I pay for almost instantly It geos to superhd on netflix.

These are the ipv4 settings I use-
primary 8.8.8.8
Secondary 8.8.4.4
For ipv6
2001:4860:4860:8888
2001:4860:4860:8888

Thanks for everyones input!. I never did get it working until i called LG and had a painful multi hours troubleshooting session that ultimately comes down to a bug in the TV firmware. It's probably a bit obscure but i thought i'd share to save a few others some grief until LG fixes it.

My wifi network has a couple of extenders in addition to the main connection to Century Link. When I first set the TV up , i connected via the intended wifi access point and got the error I described. It also did the same thing with you tube. What made no sense to me was that even taking it in to the other room and directly connecting to the router didn't help. Nor did resetting the TV.

What finally got mine to work was to reset it yet again and skip the wizard for wifi setup. I then had to go in and manually specify the IP address (even though I have my wifi set up to give out addresses) I was then able to successfully stream Netflix and You tube. After that, i could then switch the Wifi back to DHCP without issues. The LG person verified the same behavior on two separate devices and said that it's a routing table bug in WebOS.

I hope this helps someone,
Cheers
jasenj1 likes this.
post #279 of 895 Old 04-18-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyph View Post

Seems to show a similar vertical aberration to what I've seen on my set, see the Netflix background around 3:30. It may be a characteristic of the design of these sets.

Lol, one more set with exactly the same DSE as yours, shame on you LG. I will inspect my future set in the shop and if this is the case I will try Sony W829 which is far less prone to DSE.

post #280 of 895 Old 04-18-2014, 01:24 PM

so i found some info on LG's Motion Clarity Index (MCI)..

apparently it is not the same thing as HZ. (which i assumed was true since you can have 2 different models with 240Hz but different MCI values).

i believe it is something like the combination of Hz plus picture engine processing plus back light scanning. way to confuse us normal folk LG...

post #281 of 895 Old 04-18-2014, 02:02 PM

Liked: 12
Here's a video I came across on youtube for the 55LB6300

post #282 of 895 Old 04-19-2014, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigp17 View Post

Here's a video I came across on youtube for the 55LB6300

the same "vertical aberration" that's mentioned by cyph is present here too. this is really frustrating.
aldokalecone likes this.
post #283 of 895 Old 04-19-2014, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomol620 View Post

so i found some info on LG's Motion Clarity Index (MCI)..

apparently it is not the same thing as HZ. (which i assumed was true since you can have 2 different models with 240Hz but different MCI values).

i believe it is something like the combination of Hz plus picture engine processing plus back light scanning. way to confuse us normal folk LG...

I believe another member here fafrd was explaining this a while back. Tv manufacturers inflate these numbers and use backlight scamming or strobing to achieve the higher motion rates. Most of the major TV sets are only 120hz even if it says 240hz like you mentioned they used processing and the back backlight to achieve the artificial rate. I believe there's only one manufacturer right now using true 240hz panels.
post #284 of 895 Old 04-19-2014, 08:46 AM

I posted this on another threat, but wanted to put it here as well. I was yesterday at my local HHGregg store trying to figure out if I could change from Active to Passive, since my Active Samsung TV really bothers me and my wife even more, and I saw some of Pacific Rim in the new LG LB7200 and it seemed really choppy, very bad in terms of image quality. Next to that one was the Samsung UN55H7150 which really attracted my attention for its design and picture quality. I asked the sales rep. to put the same movie on the Samsung TV and I got to say that the picture quality was way better, but on the other side, there was too much flicker and crosstalk going on. Later on I took my Up 3D Blu-ray to a friend's house who owns a LG Passive, and I have to say that the picture quality and the 3D was amazing. I just don't know why I had such a different experience with those two passive 3D TVs, mind you, my friend's TV is a mid tier LG from 2012. Just my 2 cents. 

post #285 of 895 Old 04-19-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusCaesar88 View Post

I posted this on another threat, but wanted to put it here as well. I was yesterday at my local HHGregg store trying to figure out if I could change from Active to Passive, since my Active Samsung TV really bothers me and my wife even more, and I saw some of Pacific Rim in the new LG LB7200 and it seemed really choppy, very bad in terms of image quality. Next to that one was the Samsung UN55H7150 which really attracted my attention for its design and picture quality. I asked the sales rep. to put the same movie on the Samsung TV and I got to say that the picture quality was way better, but on the other side, there was too much flicker and crosstalk going on. Later on I took my Up 3D Blu-ray to a friend's house who owns a LG Passive, and I have to say that the picture quality and the 3D was amazing. I just don't know why I had such a different experience with those two passive 3D TVs, mind you, my friend's TV is a mid tier LG from 2012. Just my 2 cents. 

there are many factors that could have affected your viewing experience...the lighting in the store, the angle that you were viewing the screen, material being played, the 3D settings of the TV.....Passive will usually give you more smearing/tearing affects (much like interlace) but it will never have flickering...

active usually will flicker a lot (some people notice while few others do not)...although it does give you 1080p per eye, while Passive will only give you 540p per eye (unless you have a 4K TV)...

i personally prefer passive...even though im only getting 540p per eye, it is a far more comfortable viewing experience (for me). for me, active will flicker a lot, crosstalk, eye fatigue, headaches....but passive gives me none of that...although the vertical viewing angle sux so i cant stand up in front of mt TV and watch 3D. another advantage of passive is that you can use the 3D glasses from the movie theaters and on LG TV's you can do 'Dual Play'. 2 player FULL SCREEN gaming at the same time on the same screen...goodbye screen cheating and 50% screen real estate lol. you can make the dual play glasses with your movie glasses, just pop out the lenses and switch them up..

post #286 of 895 Old 04-19-2014, 09:52 AM

Liked: 11
have a 60lb7100. does anyone know why the Smart Picture Mode is grayed out?
post #287 of 895 Old 04-19-2014, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf13 View Post

I believe another member here fafrd was explaining this a while back. Tv manufacturers inflate these numbers and use backlight scamming or strobing to achieve the higher motion rates. Most of the major TV sets are only 120hz even if it says 240hz like you mentioned they used processing and the back backlight to achieve the artificial rate. I believe there's only one manufacturer right now using true 240hz panels.
The LB7100/7200 are both 240hz that through backlight scanning and the HDR (increased light output) algorithm they are able to achieve the 960 MCI. Employing BLS generally will cause the panel to dim substantially, so have a panel with higher light output will help counteract this. That is from my understanding,but fafrd is way more thorough with his explanation.
post #288 of 895 Old 04-19-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post

the same "vertical aberration" that's mentioned by cyph is present here too. this is really frustrating.

Ya I noticed that too, along with some uniformity issues on the right side(but that could just be this persons settings.) That's why it's best to usually not buy the first batch of a new product cause those are the ones that always seem to have the most problems...gotta give LG a little time to work out these initial kinks.
post #289 of 895 Old 04-19-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusCaesar88 View Post

That could've been just down to the LG in the store having the wrong setting applied in the menu.
post #290 of 895 Old 04-19-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post

have a 60lb7100. does anyone know why the Smart Picture Mode is grayed out?

that setting only works on DTV antenna channels....so if the TV is not on the Coax input, that option will be grayed out..

post #291 of 895 Old 04-21-2014, 05:59 PM

Hi there:

Does anyone have the LG LB5800? 

If someone of you has that tv, i want to ask some questions:

1) Is there an option to modify the trumotion? I mean if you can change the amount of the effect that you want. 

2) This tv has game mode?

3) If the answer of the previous question is yes: can you activate the game mode and modify the trumotion settings? or are them blocked?

Thanks!!

post #292 of 895 Old 04-21-2014, 07:06 PM

hey snake. i have the LB 6100 from Costco. If it helps yes you can turn off all true motion settings on mine. The tv guys at J and R here in NYC really know their stuff and had recommended to have all that stuff OFF to eliminate any judder. Works on my sony bravia too-once i turned it all off there was no more judder.On my LG, I switch to "game" mode sometimes when im watching a movie on certain channels when there is a little judder on standard mode. Does the trick. Really happy with this set beautiful picture.

post #293 of 895 Old 04-22-2014, 06:34 PM

Those of you with the LB6300, what color settings are you using? I've been using mine on Cinema, but fee like the colors are just slightly off - especially the blues and greens. Flesh tones look good on the cinema setting, if a bit flat.

post #294 of 895 Old 04-22-2014, 06:49 PM

Hey guys, got my 55LB7200 today. WOW!!!! awesome TV.

One thing thought, I am kind of disappointed with the local dimming though, I put in The Dark Knight with the Joker and Gordon scene in the integration room when it is dark and when Joker raises his hand you see the local dimming kick in and looks like a lens flare effect. I have it on low but I tried every one, high and medium. Other than that it is an awesome tv.

I did calibrate it. My room is dark and I have the backlight at 50. at 80 it is way too bright eek.gif

Edit:

I just had something weird happen. I had it on Isf1 and did calibration setting but after some time I went back in and it was still under Isf1 but when I clicked on it like if you want to go to a different video setting like vivid. It defaulted back to standard and if I went down to Isf1 and select it does go to Isf1 but under it, it says standard user and the gamma setting looks like the standard user settings even under Isf1. So I just did a complete reset and now everything is right.
post #295 of 895 Old 04-23-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparbob7 View Post

Hey guys, got my 55LB7200 today. WOW!!!! awesome TV.

One thing thought, I am kind of disappointed with the local dimming though, I put in The Dark Knight with the Joker and Gordon scene in the integration room when it is dark and when Joker raises his hand you see the local dimming kick in and looks like a lens flare effect. I have it on low but I tried every one, high and medium. Other than that it is an awesome tv.

I did calibrate it. My room is dark and I have the backlight at 50. at 80 it is way too bright eek.gif

Can you comment on whether you see any darker vertical bands as seen on the earlier YT videos in this thread when viewing solid color backgrounds like the Netflix splash screen? I feel like I've adequately reduced it on my set, but I'm seeing other anecdotal information on Amazon and LG's sites where others are seeming to report this and I'm curious if it's a systemic issue or just with certain sets.
post #296 of 895 Old 04-23-2014, 08:49 AM

i have the 60 lb7100. i have seen no banding whatsoever. however when the tv comes on and it shows what hdmi is used and the time it is lighter in that area across the screen. once those notifications go off the screen is solid. also thought i had light bleed but it is the little pointer arrow. wherever it sits til it goes off will cause the screen to look lighter. tv is great. have no banding, clouding , or bleed issues at all. used sports mode as base and tweaked. picture looks like you can walk right through it.
post #297 of 895 Old 04-23-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Can you comment on whether you see any darker vertical bands as seen on the earlier YT videos in this thread when viewing solid color backgrounds like the Netflix splash screen? I feel like I've adequately reduced it on my set, but I'm seeing other anecdotal information on Amazon and LG's sites where others are seeming to report this and I'm curious if it's a systemic issue or just with certain sets.

My LA6200 had this and my LB6300 does as well. I believe it is the way the anti-glare filter is applied in the factory that results in this dirty screen effect, where some areas are darker than others.

post #298 of 895 Old 04-23-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:

I have the Darker vertical band as well, not too bad though.

Good news. I got my Netflix code already. It was less than 12 hours. WOW!!!!biggrin.gif
post #299 of 895 Old 04-23-2014, 03:26 PM

Hey guys what do you think about this. I am not sure if it is a crack or just the anti-glare filter. eek.gif It is the top right hand corner of the screen.

post #300 of 895 Old 04-23-2014, 03:49 PM

definitely a crack...maybe there was a small impact on the corner of the TV?...either way its not something that the warranty would covered since this would be considered cosmetic i believe..

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60es7100 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page