post #451 of 1189 Old 05-13-2014, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmstrat View Post

Hi all,

I'm really, really close to picking up this set. However, I have a question for owners. I've seen back and forth in the threads that flash lighting and/or dark bands about 3" in from the side are issues on some models, but I'm curious if anyone is seeing an issue I've noticed on the display models at my local stores.

The one's I've seen locally seem to have a light fall-off right around the edges of the screen. For instance, on a bright white screen, the 1" on each side almost creates a gradient from bright white fading down to a slight gray. It's similar to clouding, but uniform down each side. Anyone seeing this?

Thanks,
Ben

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrock View Post

Here is a video posted on youtube showing lb7200 flashlighting and clouding. The author also stated in an update that when he took the tv back he checked out the floor model and it also had the same issue.

http://youtu.be/gXLKX8Dw5rk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1189 Old 05-13-2014, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

This

His is on the extreme side, mine is hardly noticable!
post #453 of 1189 Old 05-13-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparbob7 View Post

His is on the extreme side, mine is hardly noticable!

The problem is the guy that posted that youtube video also reported that when he took the TV back he checked out the floor model and it also had the same issue. I am glad that you are only seeing a mild version of the reported issue but it shows these 2014 LG screens are lacking in quality. This is a manufacturing and design issue not a technological issue. I really wanted the LB6300 but after seeing the youtube review that I posted no freaking way.

post #454 of 1189 Old 05-13-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:

The problem is the guy that posted that youtube video also reported that when he took the TV back he checked out the floor model and it also had the same issue. I am glad that you are only seeing a mild version of the reported issue but it shows these 2014 LG screens are lacking in quality. This is a manufacturing and design issue not a technological issue. I really wanted the LB6300 but after seeing the youtube review that I posted no freaking way.

Probably if you wait awhile they will fix this issue and replace the panels in theses. I can hardly notice it in mine.

The picture quality is awesome and since it is direct lit there is no light bleed or clouding or flashlighting. Good luck with Samsung edge lit. I been reading and looks like there new sets have bad clouding issues.
post #455 of 1189 Old 05-13-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:

Probably if you wait awhile they will fix this issue and replace the panels in theses. I can hardly notice it in mine.

The picture quality is awesome and since it is direct lit there is no light bleed or clouding or flashlighting. Good luck with Samsung edge lit. I been reading and looks like there new sets have bad clouding issues.

Wait you just contradicted yourself lol. Didn't you send two 2014 LG tv's back because of quality issues? I will keep an open mind about LG possibly fixing this issue but I am not hopeful. I am also looking at the Vizio 2014 M series and the toshiba N55L7400U. The Samsung H6350 received high marks here http://www.rtings.com/info/black-uniformity-tvs-clouding-and-flashlighting
post #456 of 1189 Old 05-14-2014, 04:25 AM

Quote:

Wait you just contradicted yourself lol. Didn't you send two 2014 LG tv's back because of quality issues? I will keep an open mind about LG possibly fixing this issue but I am not hopeful. I am also looking at the Vizio 2014 M series and the toshiba N55L7400U. The Samsung H6350 received high marks here http://www.rtings.com/info/black-uniformity-tvs-clouding-and-flashlighting

I sent two back, the first one had a very small crack in the top right corner. The picture quality was amazing and hardly noticed the vertical lines. The second one had some light bleed in the top right hand side but I managed to get rid of it by press on the back of the TV also when I was cleaning, it was making a creaking noise in that area, but the picture quality is still awesome on this one too. I hardly see the vertical lines.

Look on here for the forum about the new Samsung ones, I did see some pictures about the clouding. I just glanced through it.
post #457 of 1189 Old 05-14-2014, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

This

That youtube video is not what I see on the floor models here. It's not clouding, or at least the usual definition of clouding where the lighting is uneven, It's almost like the LEDs are mounted too close to the bezel, and they're creating a perfectly even shadow/gradient effect on the edges. He's seeing problems in the corners and about 3" in from the sides, I see it right on the edge.

Ben
post #458 of 1189 Old 05-14-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:

I'm in a very similar boat. I really want to like the LG for WebOS, but am also debating on the Samsung H7150 (though I notice the black crush issue others report in threads) or holding off for the Vizio M, though I'm hesitant to give up 3D.

Ben
post #459 of 1189 Old 05-14-2014, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:

Hi all,

I'm really, really close to picking up this set. However, I have a question for owners. I've seen back and forth in the threads that flash lighting and/or dark bands about 3" in from the side are issues on some models, but I'm curious if anyone is seeing an issue I've noticed on the display models at my local stores.

The one's I've seen locally seem to have a light fall-off right around the edges of the screen. For instance, on a bright white screen, the 1" on each side almost creates a gradient from bright white fading down to a slight gray. It's similar to clouding, but uniform down each side. Anyone seeing this?

Here's a picture example:

*edit* This is specific to the 60" model, btw. */edit*

Thanks,
Ben

i have a 47LB6500 and i have ZERO issues. the image is exactly what i wanted and it is wonderful!

post #460 of 1189 Old 05-14-2014, 09:53 AM

ok so i know this might not be the right thread for this...

in addition to my 2014 LG Webos TV i also have a 2013 47LA6900.

what i want to do is get into the service menu and disable the Wifi option in the TV. The purpose of this is so that no one will be able to use the 'Soft AP' option on the TV anymore. see its in an office and it is against company policy for any non authorized device to connect to the company network and the SOFT AP allows employees to connect their smartphone, essentially to the company network. since the TV is connected wired, disabling the Wifi will not impact it negatively.

so i have a Service remote and i can get into the service menu, specifically the 'EZ adjust' menu. Tool option 5 contained the wifi option, however all but 1 option (mirroring) are grayed out and not selectable. 

what can i do to be able to select other items in the Tool Option 5 menu in the EZ Adjust menu in the service menu?

post #461 of 1189 Old 05-14-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For those seeing black crush caused by Global Dimming; it's not ideal, but if you're stuck with your TVs and are unhappy with them, you might consider kicking your black level setting up to "High," then downward compensating your brightness as necessary.

In my testing the Dimming factor on my LA6200, I've found that while the contrast is leveled a bit in the process, some of the black crush resulting in detail loss in dark scenes is moderated.

I've also noticed that global dimming does not seem to be enabled in "DTV" mode, whereas it is active in 'Component' and HDMI modes.

I don't recall who posted the 'Star Trek: TNG' dimming example from the LB7200, but are those star fields actually disappearing when the screen dims, or is that just the way it seems in your footage? While I have found similar examples of global dimming on the LA6200, I haven't seen anything that extreme. I'm trying to determine whether LG has changed the dimming from one model year to the next, or whether it's essentially the same. It certainly seems more severe on the newer LB7200. A pity, because I really like LG's sets and was looking closely at this model.
post #462 of 1189 Old 05-14-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post

For those seeing black crush caused by Global Dimming; it's not ideal, but if you're stuck with your TVs and are unhappy with them, you might consider kicking your black level setting up to "High," then downward compensating your brightness as necessary.

In my testing the Dimming factor on my LA6200, I've found that while the contrast is leveled a bit in the process, some of the black crush resulting in detail loss in dark scenes is moderated.

I've also noticed that global dimming does not seem to be enabled in "DTV" mode, whereas it is active in 'Component' and HDMI modes.

I don't recall who posted the 'Star Trek: TNG' dimming example from the LB7200, but are those star fields actually disappearing when the screen dims, or is that just the way it seems in your footage? While I have found similar examples of global dimming on the LA6200, I haven't seen anything that extreme. I'm trying to determine whether LG has changed the dimming from one model year to the next, or whether it's essentially the same. It certainly seems more severe on the newer LB7200. A pity, because I really like LG's sets and was looking closely at this model.

The stars gets very dim, I can see them barely. Then when the planets and enterprise are on the screen it gets really bright, like the brightness or backlight rises and kind of looks washed out but I think that is because it's 4:3
post #463 of 1189 Old 05-14-2014, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How is the input lag looking for the UHD models...is it safe to assume they will be abysmal like the samsungs? frown.gif I wanted to use mine with my HTPC frown.gif
post #464 of 1189 Old 05-14-2014, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by laggerific View Post

How is the input lag looking for the UHD models...is it safe to assume they will be abysmal like the samsungs? frown.gif I wanted to use mine with my HTPC frown.gif

A lot of sites seem to be testing these UHD sets for input lag when they are upscaling content. If you are running at native res on PC, thus bypassing the scaler, I'd imagine input lag is lower.

I can't find any reviews that actually state they tested for input lag at native 4K. Also currently you can't get 60 Hz as there's no HDMI 2.0 video cards out yet so might not even be possible to get an accurate measurement.

Though of course if you are gaming on a console, upscaling is unavoidable.

post #465 of 1189 Old 05-15-2014, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sphere View Post

I can't find any reviews that actually state they tested for input lag at native 4K. Also currently you can't get 60 Hz as there's no HDMI 2.0 video cards out yet so might not even be possible to get an accurate measurement.

I would also be console gaming, for sure...as for HDMI 2.0 on the display adapter, I was hoping to see an active dp to HDMI 2.0 adapter soon. But this may all be moot if the input lag for console gaming remains consistent with other systems while they upscale.
post #466 of 1189 Old 05-15-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sphere View Post

A lot of sites seem to be testing these UHD sets for input lag when they are upscaling content. If you are running at native res on PC, thus bypassing the scaler, I'd imagine input lag is lower.

fyi...all 2014 LG UHD TV's all already support HDMI 2.0. if im not mistaken all the HDMI ports on those TV's are all HDMI 2.0 ports (although if im wrong it would only have 1 HDMI 2.0 port, but i think its all of them. also, they all support HEVC codec that allows support for 4K.

post #467 of 1189 Old 05-15-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 646
post #468 of 1189 Old 05-15-2014, 11:39 AM

I just exchanged my 55LB7200 for a 60LB7100 and it is awesome!!!

The only downside I really see is the dimming zones. There is only 6 on this one, going across the screen while the 7200 has 12 zones 6 X 2, There is 6 across and 2 columns. mad.gif
post #469 of 1189 Old 05-15-2014, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Here is some info from the UB9800 manual about HDMI support/bit depth and Wireless specifications:

post #470 of 1189 Old 05-15-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:

I just exchanged my 55LB7200 for a 60LB7100 and it is awesome!!!

The only downside I really see is the dimming zones. There is only 6 on this one, going across the screen while the 7200 has 12 zones 6 X 2, There is 6 across and 2 columns. mad.gif

Good to hear! Since you're one of the few confirming ownership of this particular model, are you seeing any of the effects from this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1522608/2014-lg-thread/420#post_24715615

Thanks!
post #471 of 1189 Old 05-15-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:

Good to hear! Since you're one of the few confirming ownership of this particular model, are you seeing any of the effects from this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1522608/2014-lg-thread/420#post_24715615

Thanks!

I don't see the vertical lines on mine at all, SWEET!!!! smile.gif

I don't see any real DSE in the middle of the screen, if they are there I cant see it, Maybe just barely. tongue.gif

I do see just a little fading like in your picture on the left hand side but it not really bad. I can live with that.

There is a WiFi issue though. If you seen the reviews on Amazon you will notice a lot of people are saying there is a WiFi issue. Mine had a hard time connecting during setup, it failed a couple of times then it connected. I went to Netflix and tried a 3D video and it plays ok at first and the it stops and say network to slow and then buffers for awhile then plays then buffers again. So there is definitively a WiFi issue and that sucks. I hope it can be fixed with a firmware update. For now I will probably live with it and wait and see. if all else fails I will just use it wired.

The Global Dimming issue is still there.
post #472 of 1189 Old 05-15-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:

I do see just a little fading like in your picture on the left hand side but it not really bad. I can live with that.

Any chance you could take a picture?
post #473 of 1189 Old 05-15-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:

Any chance you could take a picture?

Dont mind the right side, it looks darken but its not, must be the picture. Same way with the left corners, they are not dark.

You can barely see the vertical line.

Once again dont mind the darken corners they are not dark, just the way the picture is. You can barely see the line. Its there but not too bad.
Fmstrat likes this.
post #474 of 1189 Old 05-17-2014, 05:51 PM

Liked: 10
Ok guys.. Not sure if this has been discussed but I'm a relatively new member.. Don't post often... Anyways, I just recently bought a 47LB6300. I have to admit I love everything about it. First time LG owner. So of course, not knowing much about LG's I realized that I'm suffering from what people call "Global Dimming". I'm totally new to this and only found out after I bought the TV and discovered it personally. I had to google it. I can't believe this still exists in 2014 (which is a whole 'nother thread for a whole 'nother day). It only happens of course when there's a dark scene and everything just goes dim. Dimmer than usual. Almost like an auto dim on your cell phone is the best way I can describe it. But as soon as a lighter scene appears.. bam.. it gets lighter. At first I thought I was trippin! So of course I turned off the Energy Saver. Still nothing solves the issue. I've tried errrrrthang.

Can anyone out there please help? Bought this at a Fry's Electronics in SoCal so I have 30 days to return. I really don't want to return this but this ONE issue will do it. Which sucks. This is not a TV I'm proud to show off at all if it keeps auto dimming on dark scenes. PLEASE HELLLLPPPP!
post #475 of 1189 Old 05-17-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There an auto dimmer that has to be off. Go thru guide/Manuel on tv to find it. Mine is off Nd it is fine.
post #476 of 1189 Old 05-17-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartinijr1 View Post

There an auto dimmer that has to be off. Go thru guide/Manuel on tv to find it. Mine is off Nd it is fine.

You can't turn off the global dimming, these TVs and many other LG's have this issue and it's been around a few years now!!!

I think your thinking of energy savings, that does not fix this issue.
post #477 of 1189 Old 05-17-2014, 10:46 PM

I guess I'm lucky because I don't seem to have this problem. Thanx.
post #478 of 1189 Old 05-18-2014, 12:04 AM

Just found another fix! Have 47lb6100 costco model. Was having slight judder problems on some AMC and IFC broadcast movies here in ny on time warner. Would just switch to GAME mode and that would take care of problem . No on STANDARD or any other mode just have REAL CINEMA "off" and TRUE MOTION on and set to 0. It works! Backlight or energy saving settings didn't seem to matter have mine on LOW. Beautiful picture. Still really love this TV.
post #479 of 1189 Old 05-18-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartinijr1 View Post

I guess I'm lucky because I don't seem to have this problem. Thanx.

I guarantee you have global dimming you just don't know what your looking for.

I am on my 3rd set and they all have them and other people are seeing the same thing.

This has been around a few years and LG refuses to fix this issue.

Edit:

I see you have the 6100 maybe because you have the cheap one they don't have that stupid feature in it. Maybe that put that stupid feature in the more expensive ones.
post #480 of 1189 Old 05-18-2014, 06:51 AM

Yeah. "The cheap one". Even sat thru GRAVITY to see this dimming you speak of. Not there. And I do know what I was looking for.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60es7100 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Un60es7100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page