Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 949 Old 05-23-2014, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomol620 View Post

theoretically, unless you sit on several feet from the 49" 4K set, you wont really be able to tell a difference. or maybe i should say it would not be as much of an impact as a 55" 4K set would be. the next thing you would need to think of is the fact that there is very little to no 4K content out there. Netflix is streaming 4K but only House of Cards (and i think only 1 season at that).

now, if you were to use it as a computer monitor....then by default you would sit closer and you would definitely see a difference.

So i went ahead and did the swap last night. Agreed with your points, however my love of gadgets may have won out smile.gif plus I do occasionally connect my computer to it.

Still tweaking with it and playing with the options. Three observations so far.

1. Worst stand ever. The legs on my Lb6500 were't great, but at least they felt solid. The stand on the 8500 looks similar on the surface, but has that front bar which the legs attach to. It feels cheap and plastic (and scratches really easily) and no matter what I do, there is a bit of front to back wobble when I physically touch the set. It's not enough to be a huge issue since you normally don't touch the TV, but it's seems very cheap on what otherwise looks like a nice set

2. The netflix app does have a 4k section that you can explicitly browse. Right now the only thing there is house of cards and three nature videos. The nature videos look quite nice, but it's hard to notice any significant improvement in House of Cards except in the title scenes.

3. 3d looks substantially improved (despicable Me and The Hobbitt). Not sure my kids will appreciate the difference though and they all noticed the smaller screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 949 Old 05-23-2014, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all.
Purchased an LG 47LB6300 and I'm having a random no audio issue when switching between a 720p and 1080i broadcast channels. This occurs easily when switching from HD channel for Komo and King in the Seattle area. My service provider is Comcast and I'm using a HD Digital Adapter connected to the LG through HDMI.
The issue seems very random, and is resolved if I change channels some more...
I have connected a Mitsubishi DLP and a Toshiba LCD HDTV to the same HD digital adapter and neither exhibit this issue.
Have anybody else encountered this? Any suggestions?
post #543 of 949 Old 05-23-2014, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcompguy View Post

So i went ahead and did the swap last night. Agreed with your points, however my love of gadgets may have won out smile.gif plus I do occasionally connect my computer to it.

Still tweaking with it and playing with the options. Three observations so far.

1. Worst stand ever. The legs on my Lb6500 were't great, but at least they felt solid. The stand on the 8500 looks similar on the surface, but has that front bar which the legs attach to. It feels cheap and plastic (and scratches really easily) and no matter what I do, there is a bit of front to back wobble when I physically touch the set. It's not enough to be a huge issue since you normally don't touch the TV, but it's seems very cheap on what otherwise looks like a nice set

2. The netflix app does have a 4k section that you can explicitly browse. Right now the only thing there is house of cards and three nature videos. The nature videos look quite nice, but it's hard to notice any significant improvement in House of Cards except in the title scenes.

3. 3d looks substantially improved (despicable Me and The Hobbitt). Not sure my kids will appreciate the difference though and they all noticed the smaller screen.

1. that stand design is similar to stands from last year. ill be honest..that back and forth wobbling has been present on LG TV's all the way until this year because every year before this one would be the style you now have or a traditional base and neck design which would also wobble. technically its not really an issue because no one should be touching the TV ever...but i understand the peace of mind the new stands provide.

2. that sounds about right....plus im sure that Netflix 4K streaming will probably look as good or slightly worse than a native 1080p Bluray Disc. what little 4K streaming i have seen is disappointing.

3. now that your screen is 4K, when using 3D each eye now gets 1080p as apposed to 540p. so the quality has effectively doubled.

once you connect your PC and throw 4K resolution......GLORIOUS!! 

post #544 of 949 Old 05-23-2014, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questionface View Post

Hi all.
Purchased an LG 47LB6300 and I'm having a random no audio issue when switching between a 720p and 1080i broadcast channels. This occurs easily when switching from HD channel for Komo and King in the Seattle area. My service provider is Comcast and I'm using a HD Digital Adapter connected to the LG through HDMI.
The issue seems very random, and is resolved if I change channels some more...
I have connected a Mitsubishi DLP and a Toshiba LCD HDTV to the same HD digital adapter and neither exhibit this issue.
Have anybody else encountered this? Any suggestions?

so do you have a cable box or no?

do you change channels on the TV's tuner or in the HD Adapter/Cable box's tuner?

if channel changing is done on the Cable box, its a cable box issue, if you change on the TV's tuner, its more likely a TV issue.

post #545 of 949 Old 05-23-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomol620 View Post

so do you have a cable box or no?

do you change channels on the TV's tuner or in the HD Adapter/Cable box's tuner?

if channel changing is done on the Cable box, its a cable box issue, if you change on the TV's tuner, its more likely a TV issue.

I change the channel through the HD Digital Adapter.  I was thinking it might have been the cable box but the Mitsubishi or the Toshiba HDTVs do not have this issue when they are connected to the cable box.  Also I have had the LG connected to two different boxes (same model) and the issue is still present on either boxes.  I'll try direct connecting the cable into the TV to use the TV tuner.  I'll also give component cables instead of hdmi a try...

post #546 of 949 Old 05-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Do you guys recommend the LG 60LB7100?
post #547 of 949 Old 05-24-2014, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

Do you guys recommend the LG 60LB7100?

I think it is a very good set. But if you don't care about 3D, the awesome WebOS, or viewing angles then I think the 2014 Vizio M-series 60" has a slightly better picture thanks to better contrast with great blacks.
post #548 of 949 Old 05-24-2014, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am looking at a 70-80" tv for the family room, and i am looking at the sharp 70sq or the vizio 80M. We currently have a 55LG from 3 years ago and we like it, so I am also looking at the LG, can any owners commonest on who they are liking their 70". any concerns and would you recommend it.
post #549 of 949 Old 05-24-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

I am looking at a 70-80" tv for the family room, and i am looking at the sharp 70sq or the vizio 80M. We currently have a 55LG from 3 years ago and we like it, so I am also looking at the LG, can any owners commonest on who they are liking their 70". any concerns and would you recommend it.

A couple things to know about the Sharp and Vizio. For Sharp SQ and UQ series you are paying a premium for their new "Q+" 4K-lite feature. It accepts a 4K signal from HDMI 2.0 inputs. However, it actually down-converts the signal to 1080P so anything you have read about "sub-pixels" being able to display the equivalent to 4K is marketing-speak because it already lost the original pixel detail of the 4K image when it down-converted it. It's a perfectly fine set but the image it produces is no better than a conventional 1080P. Also, it can't handle Netflix 4K streaming, which may prove the be the only real source of 4K content in the near future. Nothing wrong with Sharp but I wouldn't pay extra for anything to do with Q+.

On Vizio, their marketing is deceptive because the new 80" model is not FALD (full array local dimming) like the rest of their 2014 line; it's actually just a rehash of their 2013 80" set. Again, that's fine, just don't exect it to be anything like what you have been reading about the smaller 2014 Vizio units that have started shipping.
post #550 of 949 Old 05-24-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

A couple things to know about the Sharp and Vizio. For Sharp SQ and UQ series you are paying a premium for their new "Q+" 4K-lite feature. It accepts a 4K signal from HDMI 2.0 inputs. However, it actually down-converts the signal to 1080P so anything you have read about "sub-pixels" being able to display the equivalent to 4K is marketing-speak because it already lost the original pixel detail of the 4K image when it down-converted it. It's a perfectly fine set but the image it produces is no better than a conventional 1080P. Also, it can't handle Netflix 4K streaming, which may prove the be the only real source of 4K content in the near future. Nothing wrong with Sharp but I wouldn't pay extra for anything to do with Q+.

On Vizio, their marketing is deceptive because the new 80" model is not FALD (full array local dimming) like the rest of their 2014 line; it's actually just a rehash of their 2013 80" set. Again, that's fine, just don't exect it to be anything like what you have been reading about the smaller 2014 Vizio units that have started shipping.

What is your source of the information that the Sharp Q+ panels (UQ, SQ) downconvert 4K content to 1080p before displaying?
post #551 of 949 Old 05-24-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

What is your source of the information that the Sharp Q+ panels (UQ, SQ) downconvert 4K content to 1080p before displaying?

According to Scott Wilkinson, AVS Editor, who got it from Tom Norton of Sound & Vision who has a unit under-going a thorough calibration and review and access to Sharp representatives.

"Tom said it actually downconverts UHD to 1080p and then upconverts it back to pseudo-UHD using the Q+ technology, but that would remove the extra vertical resolution that the alternating half-subpixels should be able to display."

Full post here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1532833/sharp-lc-60uq17u-a-brief-critical-look
post #552 of 949 Old 05-24-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

Quote:

According to Scott Wilkinson, AVS Editor, who got it from Tom Norton of Sound & Vision who has a unit under-going a thorough calibration and review and access to Sharp representatives.

"Tom said it actually downconverts UHD to 1080p and then upconverts it back to pseudo-UHD using the Q+ technology, but that would remove the extra vertical resolution that the alternating half-subpixels should be able to display."

Full post here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1532833/sharp-lc-60uq17u-a-brief-critical-look

Thanks. Now I would like to know how Tom determined that???
post #553 of 949 Old 05-24-2014, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Maybe he is a scientist? biggrin.gif
post #554 of 949 Old 05-24-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparbob7 View Post

Quote:

Maybe he is a scientist? biggrin.gif

Yeah, or maybe he has exceedingly good vision and visual memory accurate to the sub-pixel level biggrin.gif

Seriously, unless that is stated by Sharp somewhere in the specifications or he was told that by them in a private conversation, I don't know how anyone could tell the difference between 'true 4K' and '4K downsampled to 1080p and then upsampled to 4K'

I suppose if you took a subpixel-level photograph of the exact same image from a 1080p source in 1080p mode and Q+ mode and then that exact same image again from a 4K source in 1080p mode and Q+ mode and showed that both Q+ display modes look identical (and distinct from both 1080p display modes, which should also look identical), it would be possible (but a huge amount of work).

Maybe it's written somewhere.
post #555 of 949 Old 05-25-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, or maybe he has exceedingly good vision and visual memory accurate to the sub-pixel level biggrin.gif

Seriously, unless that is stated by Sharp somewhere in the specifications or he was told that by them in a private conversation, I don't know how anyone could tell the difference between 'true 4K' and '4K downsampled to 1080p and then upsampled to 4K'

I suppose if you took a subpixel-level photograph of the exact same image from a 1080p source in 1080p mode and Q+ mode and then that exact same image again from a 4K source in 1080p mode and Q+ mode and showed that both Q+ display modes look identical (and distinct from both 1080p display modes, which should also look identical), it would be possible (but a huge amount of work).

Maybe it's written somewhere.

I just posted on the original topic and asked Scott to comment on that. The post quotes Jim Sanduski, Senior VP of Strategic Product Marketing at Sharp. Perhaps he told them or Tom may well have had access to another Sharp rep. Neither of these people is likely to have just made up or guessed at such a fundamental statement. We'll see.
post #556 of 949 Old 05-25-2014, 03:40 PM

THIS IS 2014 LG FLAT PANEL THREAD WHY ARE WE TALKING SHARP HERE?
post #557 of 949 Old 05-25-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD007 View Post

THIS IS 2014 LG FLAT PANEL THREAD WHY ARE WE TALKING SHARP HERE?
A fellow forum friend was weighing his options on whether to buy a 2014 LG or Sharp 70sq. Our good friends were simply weighing the pros and con's of features vs price. No harm done.
post #558 of 949 Old 05-25-2014, 07:01 PM

I too was stuck in the I need to upgrade from a 2007 "57"DLP MITZ but do I wait for 4K Vizio?---decision. Did a ton of reading ....Decided on the LB7100 .....went to BESTBUY saw a demo of the Sharp Q (bestbuy rep was making a strong case for the Sharp Q. They even had a demo of the LG LB7100 vs Sharp Q side by side (Although the Sharp had a special demo & LG had some different connection.. BB does not have commission? but something is fishy about that). I Came home did my research saw that Sharp Q had a great picture but the Wifi issues scared me...plus getting a watered down 4k Vizio TV is like getting a car phone and calling it a cell phone ....i think its to early to jump ship. Any how day # 3 with the LG LB7100 and I 'am very pleased. Thanks to all for your thoughts.
post #559 of 949 Old 05-25-2014, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by longknabbz View Post

I too was stuck in the I need to upgrade from a 2007 "57"DLP MITZ but do I wait for 4K Vizio?---decision. Did a ton of reading ....Decided on the LB7100 .....went to BESTBUY saw a demo of the Sharp Q (bestbuy rep was making a strong case for the Sharp Q. They even had a demo of the LG LB7100 vs Sharp Q side by side (Although the Sharp had a special demo & LG had some different connection.. BB does not have commission? but something is fishy about that). I Came home did my research saw that Sharp Q had a great picture but the Wifi issues scared me...plus getting a watered down 4k Vizio TV is like getting a car phone and calling it a cell phone ....i think its to early to jump ship. Any how day # 3 with the LG LB7100 and I 'am very pleased. Thanks to all for your thoughts.

You think it has a better Picture quality than the Sharp?
post #560 of 949 Old 05-25-2014, 09:48 PM

Have the Costco LG LB 6100. Having some audio synch problems on some films on my SNAGFILMS app. Synch adjust feature has no affect. Any suggestions? Only having this prob on Snag. Must be a SNAGFILMS issue and not the tv?
post #561 of 949 Old 05-26-2014, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've been abroad for a really long time and will need to get some new gear when I come back to the US next month.
Has anybody seen the LG UB8500 yet?
I'm not terribly interested in 4K just yet, but I want the best passive 3D possible.
I also want a TV that will look great (cinematic, not necessarily upscaled) when playing blu-ray movies.
I like LG's design and WebOs looks cool. I really want an LG, but this thread has made me weary of some of the non 4K models that I was considering.

Is the UB8500 any good? Same issues as some of the other 2014 models in this thread?

Thanks!
post #562 of 949 Old 05-26-2014, 03:03 PM

Dom ..Outside of seeing the Bestbuy demo of the Sharp Q I would say they are slightly even . Sharp is a 10.0 and LG is a 9.9 but the Passive 3d despite what Vizio & LG are telling people will return next yr and is not going anywhere . I would buy this tv set again .Despite Sharp Q's picture I just couldn't sell my self on it... But I am the same guy that brought a HD dvd player instead of blu ray and a Mits DLP instead of the Samsung and even choose Circuit City over Best Buy...... not a great track record.
post #563 of 949 Old 05-26-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Is there any way to remove/re-order the apps (webOS) ? .. ie. I would just as soon move many of them to the far right, and shift some of the others back to the 1st screen one sees.
post #564 of 949 Old 05-26-2014, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post

Is there any way to remove/re-order the apps (webOS) ? .. ie. I would just as soon move many of them to the far right, and shift some of the others back to the 1st screen one sees.

Yes, you go to the far right where the icons are small and you go to the one you want to move and hover over it and you will see a ^ click on that and move it where you want too.
zim2dive likes this.
post #565 of 949 Old 05-26-2014, 09:33 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by longknabbz View Post

...despite what Vizio & LG are telling people will return next yr and is not going anywhere.

I hope so, though LG does seem to have reduced the number of models featuring 3D significantly. Glad I jumped on my 42 inch LA6200 when I did, because you can't find 3D in an LG at that price level and size in this year's lineup; the feature seems to have been restricted to larger, higher priced models.

It's been a little alienating to have tried the technology, been wowed by it...only to have the market turn with analysts coming out of the woodwork to proclaim its total irrelevance.

Bring on those Avatar sequels; they can't arrive too soon to give this mishandled, mismarketed yet remarkable technology a shot in the arm. It would probably also help for passive--especially the 4K version--to kill off active and remove some of the consumer confusion from the marketplace.
post #566 of 949 Old 05-27-2014, 10:42 AM

I was at the movies and saw trailers for atleast 3 movies that will be coming out in 3d. I am not a supporter but I dont see movie makers saying no to a 3d release if they can make extra money off of it and it costs them nothing to make. But so far .. DAY # 5 and I dont regret this purchase yet. Was able to remove the soap opera effect( turn off true motion and edge enchancement when watching regular Blu ray & dvd's) . RIght now I'am fearful of updating firmware just because its a 2014 model this yr ...will wait alittle longer. But I'am curious about the LG app store coming soon?
post #567 of 949 Old 05-27-2014, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I picked up a 49UB8500 last night. Haven't had a ton of time to play with it. I did do some messing around with it. So far I'm pretty impressed. They had fun animations throughout the setup. There was a fairly large webos update to install. I'll dig more into it tonight. Anyone has any questions, let me know. I hope to hear from other people with their thoughts and configurations.
post #568 of 949 Old 05-27-2014, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Do the new LG 4K TV's display 1080p 120Hz? Do they also report 1080p 60Hz 3D capability?
post #569 of 949 Old 05-27-2014, 12:51 PM

I'm starting to take a serious look at LG I been looking at the 55LA9650 it does 4K plus 240Hz as well..  :) 

post #570 of 949 Old 05-27-2014, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I saw the 49UB8500 at Best buy today and that is a fantastic picture at a glance. The WebOS is snappy and a very intuitive interface. They were running The Dark Knight:Rise upscaled on a Sony blu ray play I was impressed.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60es7100 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page