Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1004 Old 06-20-2014, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlerm View Post
The LB7100 has local dimming, but only 6 or 8 zones, very similar, if not the same, to last year's Vizio M-series. It helps in certain situations but pales in comparison to the 2014 Vizio M-series. It has been mentioned that the LB7100 might be direct-lit, but it appears to be edge-lit to me. I still really like the set, given the trade-offs in my viewing area.
The LB7100 is Direct-lit, you can tell it is direct lit because there is no flashlighting, clouding or anything like the edge-lit problems. Also in the service menu it say DirectM, there are other options in there for other models and the three options are DirectM, Edge-lit and something else which I forget.

There are 6 dimming zones. It also says that in the service menu. The 55LB7200 has 12 zones, 6 rows and 2 columns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1004 Old 06-20-2014, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just a PSA for any LB6300 owners -- My 42LB6300 received an update earlier today. WebOS feels much snappier and more responsive.

Unrelated -- The LG store is pretty lame... does anyone know if they have plans to update the available apps any time soon?
Was hoping to have Pandora and Vimeo on the TV.

Last edited by about.tree.fiddy; 06-20-2014 at 11:16 PM.
post #723 of 1004 Old 06-21-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 587
^^^ That many zones is not going to help much........

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #724 of 1004 Old 06-21-2014, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is LG the only one that makes IPS panels? I am looking for an IPS at the 39-42" range. If you go to http://www.rtings.com, they reviewed both the LB6300 and LB5800 with a poor contrast ratio of 800:1. When I mean poor, I mean poor for IPS, since they should average 1000:1 and even on some smartphones can get up to, 1500:1. I bought the 39LN5300, a 2013 model, and quickly returned it because I could not stand the viewing angle issues, as I was primarily using it as a PC monitor and the viewing angle issues are readily apparent up close. Are there any better IPS panels not made by LG, or maybe a VA panel that has far better viewing angles than the 39LN5300?
post #725 of 1004 Old 06-22-2014, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by about.tree.fiddy View Post
Just a PSA for any LB6300 owners -- My 42LB6300 received an update earlier today. WebOS feels much snappier and more responsive.

Unrelated -- The LG store is pretty lame... does anyone know if they have plans to update the available apps any time soon?
Was hoping to have Pandora and Vimeo on the TV.
I got the update too, would be nice to know what it actually did with some release notes.

Anyway, does anyone have advice for reducing what I can only describe as artifacts? It's only prevelant when watching world cup actually, when the camera pans I see some black remnants in the background. Is this just something I need to get used to coming from a non led tv?
post #726 of 1004 Old 06-23-2014, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoballz View Post
Gents, I've been playing PS4 games on the LB6300 and they look great. Right now only the speakers and off angle viewing disappoints.

Is there a recent movie I can watch (or scene) that I could test to check blooming and shadow detail? I tried Dark Knight and it looked great (in Game and Standard mode).

What is wrong with off angle viewing? the LB6300 line is all IPS so the viewing angles should be very strong with no color change or gamma shift/contrast loss except for a darker picture off-angle.
post #727 of 1004 Old 06-23-2014, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
^^^ That many zones is not going to help much........
It's weird; it seems pretty obvious that there's not a lot of benefit in local dimming with so few zones behind an IPS panel, yet both LG and Toshiba are trying it this year (though Toshiba is the more serious offender here, with their super bright LEDs and 8 zones on the L7400U). IPS panels suffer less-than-stellar native contrast ratios, so if you're going to get any benefit out of FALD (and combat bloom while you're at it), then you need a LOT of zones. You may be able to argue that at least it's more uniform than edge-lit, but Samsung seems to be doing alright with their better edge-lit sets.

I've been considering the B7200 as a backup choice to a Vizio M (55" for either), but I'm not sure I can trade the better off-angle viewing for worse contrast.
post #728 of 1004 Old 06-23-2014, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf0 View Post
What is wrong with off angle viewing? the LB6300 line is all IPS so the viewing angles should be very strong with no color change or gamma shift/contrast loss except for a darker picture off-angle.
The viewing angle is a real problem, the clarity gets poor and the screen washes out. See the end of my video.
post #729 of 1004 Old 06-23-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
The viewing angle is a real problem, the clarity gets poor and the screen washes out. See the end of my video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEnadMaWu18
That kind of looks like IPS glow, but it looks way worse than other videos I've seen.

Can you comment on whether the following videos are indicative of what you've seen on the LB6300? Because this one looks very different, with very good viewing angles and unnoticeable IPS glow as I would expect from an IPS.

LB6300 viewing angles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=zTxRsLRazLk

Here are some SPVA panels from Samsung and Sony for comparison. Very big difference.

H6350
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=NiGfltA7_bw
W600B
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=vpmnXw5CrAw

I'm not saying you are wrong. I just want to figure out the discrepancies. I am sitting in front of an IPS TV that behaves just like that video above with perfect viewing angles. Also, I've gone to the store and looked at dozens of TVs large and small and most of them have VA so they behave exactly like the SPVA in the latter two videos. I have yet to find the LB6300 in my local stores, or any IPS. I am worried maybe the modern IPS displays are worse than my old one, since I am ultimately trying to find a bigger replacement for my current one and don't want a downgrade. If the IPS glow is as bad as that guy with the 55" shows it off to be, I might have to rethink modern IPS. My Pansonic 32lz800 has imperceptible reddish glow that you need to get very close at an extreme angle to notice, and it definitely cannot be picked up on video.

Also please check out Rtings.com since its one of only a few sites that even bother with some form of measurement, although not at the same level as fancy desktop monitors.
post #730 of 1004 Old 06-23-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
That kind of looks like IPS glow, but it looks way worse than other videos I've seen.

Can you comment on whether the following videos are indicative of what you've seen on the LB6300? Because this one looks very different, with very good viewing angles and unnoticeable IPS glow as I would expect from an IPS.

LB6300 viewing angles

Here are some SPVA panels from Samsung and Sony for comparison. Very big difference.

H6350
W600B

I'm not saying you are wrong. I just want to figure out the discrepancies. I am sitting in front of an IPS TV that behaves just like that video above with perfect viewing angles. Also, I've gone to the store and looked at dozens of TVs large and small and most of them have VA so they behave exactly like the SPVA in the latter two videos. I have yet to find the LB6300 in my local stores, or any IPS. I am worried maybe the modern IPS displays are worse than my old one, since I am ultimately trying to find a bigger replacement for my current one and don't want a downgrade. If the IPS glow is as bad as that guy with the 55" shows it off to be, I might have to rethink modern IPS. My Pansonic 32lz800 has imperceptible reddish glow that you need to get very close at an extreme angle to notice, and it definitely cannot be picked up on video.

Also please check out Rtings.com since its one of only a few sites that even bother with some form of measurement, although not at the same level as fancy desktop monitors.
I will take some still photos for you. What is strange is the dark corners on the screen aren't bad at all (compared to those I've seen in Best Buy). I've tested it with pure black video images and there is very little bleed or blooming. In games like Watch Dogs, I've seen blooming in a couple cases, but for the most part black is black. The downside is the sideview get the glow like in the reference video. Since I play directly in front of the screen, the side glow does not really matter. However, coming from a plasma, the side view looking washed out is a bummer and the only black mark against an otherwise great screen.
post #731 of 1004 Old 06-23-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I will take some still photos for you. What is strange is the dark corners on the screen aren't bad at all (compared to those I've seen in Best Buy). I've tested it with pure black video images and there is very little bleed or blooming. In games like Watch Dogs, I've seen blooming in a couple cases, but for the most part black is black. The downside is the sideview get the glow like in the reference video. Since I play directly in front of the screen, the side glow does not really matter. However, coming from a plasma, the side view looking washed out is a bummer and the only black mark against an otherwise great screen.
How did you test with pure black when these TV's have this stupid Global dimming crap!!!!!

I put a pure black video image and it shuts off the screen!!!!
post #732 of 1004 Old 06-23-2014, 06:02 PM

I used the step 3 image and pure black mp4 video with the package. http://lifehacker.com/5858625/how-to...inutes-or-less
post #733 of 1004 Old 06-23-2014, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What's the difference between 50lb6300 and 50lb6500 (except 3d) ??

I wanna know if the LB6500 will have better picture quality
post #734 of 1004 Old 06-23-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparbob7 View Post
How did you test with pure black when these TV's have this stupid Global dimming crap!!!!!

I put a pure black video image and it shuts off the screen!!!!
Check out my test video!
post #735 of 1004 Old 06-23-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:

LB6300 viewing angles

H6350
W600B

Check out my test video on it.
post #736 of 1004 Old 06-24-2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoBalls View Post
Check out my test video on it. http://youtu.be/GuK7uhXE1s0
Wow that looked pretty nice to me. Thanks for the video. The viewing angles looked nothing like the other 55" video, which I think might be a camera exposure issue more than anything. It's in line with my TV, what I expect for IPS viewing angles, and the Rtings viewing angle video for the LB6300. It gets dimmer as expected, and the IPS glow looks like it reduces contrast slightly at very extreme angles, but it is miles ahead of any VA panel when it comes to viewing angle, which is what I'm looking for in a computer monitor that you have to sit close up to, where most of the screen that isn't directly in front of you will be at an angle. I didn't know you were comparing this to a plasma, so I can see why the viewing angles aren't that great in comparison to that.

I had a couple more questions. How good or bad is the coating on the screen? The 39LN5300 I had was very reflective and I could see my face on it, and my shoulders, and everything else behind me, in a bedroom with just a couple fluorescent bulbs and all windows covered. I've also heard people could apply the 12-month Netflix offer that comes with the TV to their existing Netflix account. Have you tried this?
post #737 of 1004 Old 06-24-2014, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoBalls View Post
Check out my test video! http://youtu.be/GuK7uhXE1s0
I am not sure if the cheaper TV's have this stupid global Dimming.

I see what you did your in PC mode and that does eliminate the global dimming but it has to be 60Hz. If you put a Blu ray movie in and have it a 24Hz the global dimming will be there.

I have the AVS calbration on DVD and it plays at 24Hz. All you did was grab the files and I bet it plays at 60Hz.

Watch my video a few pages back. It is the opening of Star Trek TNG ans you will see what the problem is. This has been around for a few years and LG refuses to fix this issue. It dims the screen and you can hardly see anything.
post #738 of 1004 Old 06-24-2014, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warplane95 View Post
What's the difference between 50lb6300 and 50lb6500 (except 3d) ??

I wanna know if the LB6500 will have better picture quality
anyone?
post #739 of 1004 Old 06-24-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warplane95 View Post
anyone?
It's most likely the same exact panel but with extra features tacked on to increase the price, many of which you don't need. Since panels are so cheap and done en masse, it doesn't make sense for them to have different panels except for their highest flagship TVs which are there for brand image. Lots of consumers see price as an easy way to determine the quality of their picture, to justify spending lots of money on a TV and ot brag about it. But that's not really the case.

The LG site lists all the sizes of the LB6300 explicitly with IPS displays EXCEPT the 50LB6300, so it can come in either an IPS or a VA panel which will be a panel lottery. Panelook.com lists a bunch of 50" VA panels as well as 50" LG IPS panels available. I chose the 42LB6300 specifically because it was advertised as an IPS panel. If you want an IPS, pick one of the IPS LB6300 models advertised as IPS (not the 50"). If you want a nice VA panel, you are better off choosing another brand that doesn't do panel lotteries like Vizio or Sony.
post #740 of 1004 Old 06-25-2014, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdob View Post
Does anyone have advice for reducing what I can only describe as artifacts? It's only prevelant when watching world cup actually, when the camera pans I see some black remnants in the background. Is this just something I need to get used to coming from a non led tv?
Anyone have any input on this? I love soccer but this bugging me! Not sure if it shows up so much because grass is so light green or what? But I can't seem to find a way not to see this when camera is panning fast (wwhich is very often)
post #741 of 1004 Old 06-25-2014, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
The viewing angle is a real problem, the clarity gets poor and the screen washes out. See the end of my video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEnadMaWu18
I just got the 65lb7100 last week and I've noticed that the screen looks really washed out when viewing from the side. I have a samsung d8000 LCD and the viewing angle on that seems to be better.

I'm not an expert on calibrating tvs, so if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it. As of right now I'm not really too impressed with the picture quality. The blacks levels don't seem as good and the colors just seem more muted and dull. It doesn't have that bright sharp picture I expected. I was impressed by the sharp q+ when I compared it next to the lg at best buy but was hoping it was just the content on the lg that made it look bad. I chose the lg because I wanted passive 3d and webos.
post #742 of 1004 Old 06-26-2014, 06:53 AM

LG put up the newest firmware for the 60LB7100 on their website.
post #743 of 1004 Old 06-26-2014, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparbob7 View Post
LG put up the newest firmware for the 60LB7100 on their website.
Has anybody picked up a 7200 lately? I'm trying to get a sense for how prominent those dark bands actually are, and whether that was a production problem with the earliest units.
post #744 of 1004 Old 06-26-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Anyone have any input on this? I love soccer but this bugging me! Not sure if it shows up so much because grass is so light green or what? But I can't seem to find a way not to see this when camera is panning fast (wwhich is very often)
HATE to bump this again but I can't be only one watching the World Cup!
post #745 of 1004 Old 06-26-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
HATE to bump this again but I can't be only one watching the World Cup!
There is a review on amazon and the guy talks about reducing the pixelation and blur by switching to game mode and changing a few settings. You should give that a try unless that was you.
post #746 of 1004 Old 06-26-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehwoneee View Post
There is a review on amazon and the guy talks about reducing the pixelation and blur by switching to game mode and changing a few settings. You should give that a try unless that was you.
Hmm, I am trying to find it. Do you happen to have a link? No complaints about TV otherwise but this one is eating away at me.
post #747 of 1004 Old 06-26-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Hmm, I am trying to find it. Do you happen to have a link? No complaints about TV otherwise but this one is eating away at me.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B00II6VYNK/ref=mw_dp_cr

Select newest first. Should be second one.

Black levels seem pretty bad. I can see the backlight get brighter on the row my pointer is at. Does yours do that?
post #748 of 1004 Old 06-26-2014, 08:54 PM

I just got my new 42LB6300 and been trying to figure out how to set it up for PC. I can't find the input label anywhere. Very noticeable lag when typing or moving in Windows. Where do I change it? Global dimming is also very annoying. I also want to know what this update thing people are constantly talking about, and how I can update and see what version I have?

The WebOS platform is slow as molasses. I wouldn't care as much as I don't use it, but just trying to move around the settings menu with the D-pad is so slow. I should've bought the LB5800 instead that had traditional menus and no funny remote. The viewing angles are typical LG IPS display style. Very easy to notice the IPS glow. I haven't used it extensively yet, but at least it is better than that LG monitor I bought a few months ago with really bad glow. The other thing is how sturdy feeling the TV feels. It feels like one solid aluminum frame. Much better than other TVs I've handled. It's probably some sort of plastic, but it feels hard enough.

Edit: Okay nevermind I found out how to set it in PC mode. It significantly reduced the lag to where my mouse and keyboard actually moved properly on screen. Another issue might be the 2.4ghz signal that the stupid remote gives out. My wireless mouse might also use the same signal, and was freezing up every now and then. I just used an extension cable to move the receiver closer.

In settings menu under Quick, there's HDMI settings. It says HDMI1 on mine which confused me since I thought that was the input you choose and the one underneath, which you can edit the name, I thought was input label. Turns out it doesn't matter what you put on the bottom since the top one that says HDMI1 is the one you change to PC. The icon also changes to something that looks like a PC. Rtings.com said it is 33~ms lag with PC label set and game mode set. Working fine so far.

Last edited by silverwolf0; 06-27-2014 at 03:59 PM.
post #749 of 1004 Old 06-26-2014, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ugh, so I just set up a 49UB8500 and the global dimming is driving me crazy. There is NO way to turn it off? How on earth is that possible? LG really dropped the ball here.
post #750 of 1004 Old 06-27-2014, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah238 View Post
Ugh, so I just set up a 49UB8500 and the global dimming is driving me crazy. There is NO way to turn it off? How on earth is that possible? LG really dropped the ball here.
If you set the black level to high, it significantly reduces the dimming, but it still dims on near pitch black scenes, especially when the picture fades to black.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60es7100 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page