2014 LG THREAD - Page 26 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 1378 Old 06-27-2014, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone else's tv randomly get bright for a second while watching something? It's like a flash of brightness then goes away. I have the lb7100. I was really hoping the 65" wouldn't have the same problems that the 60" was having.

Also with a dark background when I move the pointer up and down the row the pointer is on gets brighter than the rest of the screen. Anyone else seeing this? It looks like there are 7 zones and each zone gets brighter when the pointer is there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 1378 Old 06-27-2014, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehwoneee View Post
Does anyone else's tv randomly get bright for a second while watching something? It's like a flash of brightness then goes away. I have the lb7100. I was really hoping the 65" wouldn't have the same problems that the 60" was having.

Also with a dark background when I move the pointer up and down the row the pointer is on gets brighter than the rest of the screen. Anyone else seeing this? It looks like there are 7 zones and each zone gets brighter when the pointer is there.
Yes mine has that also, it flashes really fast than it is normal, happens once and awhile.

What you are seeing on the dark background is local dimming. When you see the pointer the local dimming zone get brighter because there is something there that needs the light. There are 6 zones. The other zones are dimmed down to produce better blacks.
post #753 of 1378 Old 06-27-2014, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparbob7 View Post
Yes mine has that also, it flashes really fast than it is normal, happens once and awhile.
Any idea why it happens? Did it happen on all the sets you had? I was thinking about sending it back for a replacement.
post #754 of 1378 Old 06-27-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehwoneee View Post
Any idea why it happens? Did it happen on all the sets you had? I was thinking about sending it back for a replacement.
I have no idea, I hope an update fixes it. Yes it did it on those other sets I had. I would say it happens once and a great while.
post #755 of 1378 Old 06-29-2014, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have any good calibration settings for LB6300 series? I tried the one on LCDbuying guide website and was a little confused.

It mentioned using the 20 point white balance esetting as opposed to 2 point setting, but when I switch to 20 point i dont have the option to set all 20 listed in the guide?
post #756 of 1378 Old 06-29-2014, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdob View Post
Anyone have any good calibration settings for LB6300 series? I tried the one on LCDbuying guide website and was a little confused.

It mentioned using the 20 point white balance esetting as opposed to 2 point setting, but when I switch to 20 point i dont have the option to set all 20 listed in the guide?
Try this
My settings:
Game Mode
Aspect Ratio - just scan
Backlight - 68
Contrast - 85
Brightness - 55
Color - 0
Tint - W1
Advanced Controls
Dynamic Contrast - OFF (must be off to avoid dimming issues_
Dynamic Color - Low
Color Gamut - Wide
Gamma - Low
Picture Options
Noise Reduction - off
Mpeg Noise Reduction - off
Black Level - Low
Real Cinema - (disabled due to mode)
Motion Eye Care - off
TruMotion - (disabled due to mode)
post #757 of 1378 Old 06-29-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoBalls View Post
Try this
My settings:
Game Mode
Aspect Ratio - just scan
Backlight - 68
Contrast - 85
Brightness - 55
Color - 0
Tint - W1
Advanced Controls
Dynamic Contrast - OFF (must be off to avoid dimming issues_
Dynamic Color - Low
Color Gamut - Wide
Gamma - Low
Picture Options
Noise Reduction - off
Mpeg Noise Reduction - off
Black Level - Low
Real Cinema - (disabled due to mode)
Motion Eye Care - off
TruMotion - (disabled due to mode)
Thanks, will give it a shot now.

Anyone else get a software update today? Wish LG would post somewhere what these updates actually address...
post #758 of 1378 Old 06-30-2014, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
happens once and awhile.
Quote:
happens once and a great while.
Holy **** is no one going to correct this?
post #759 of 1378 Old 06-30-2014, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey Guys first time poster on here and looking for a bit of info on the LG models.. The model I am looking at is the LB6500 which is basically the 3D version of the 6300..

I have read a few reviews saying that the LG has good viewing angles but thats about the only area it wins in in terms of blacks, contrast and colours..

Now I am looking at a tv that I can basically play games on (ps4) or watch movies.. with the occasional tv viewing but very limited except for maybe some sport.. Im in Australia so the price on the 6500 is about 1200 bucks so bare in mind that I am not really wanting to spend much more then 1800 bucks Australian, am I better off going for the Sony W800B

oh by the way. I don't want to go above 50" in size

thanks for your help
post #760 of 1378 Old 06-30-2014, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

I've got the 42LB6300 and was able to set all 20 levels for white balance as per the LCDBuyingGuide settings. It's a time consuming process as you are making 60 separate settings. Get into the Setting menu, then Picture. Then:

Click on Expert Control
Click on White Balance
Click on IRE
at this point it should start out at IRE of 100. You should see a set of oval windows at the bottom of your screen. Red, Green, Blue, and IRE. You then adjust the Red, Green, and Blue levels per the setting in the LCDBuyingGuide.com article. Then you click on the TV Picture icon in the bottom left of the screen and select IRE of 95. Repeat adjusting R,G,B settings. Click on TV Picture icon in bottom left corner of screen and select IRE of 90. Repeat. Takes about 10 minutes to do all 60 settings. It does make a difference in the color accuracy of the picture. I ended up tweaking some other settings to make the picture 'pop' and look better to my eyes. I believe I set dynamic contrast to low (or possibly medium) and Color Gamut range to Wide, also turned on Edge Enhancer. Otherwise I left everything according to the settings in the article.
post #761 of 1378 Old 06-30-2014, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by powrwrap View Post
I've got the 42LB6300 and was able to set all 20 levels for white balance as per the LCDBuyingGuide settings. It's a time consuming process as you are making 60 separate settings. Get into the Setting menu, then Picture. Then:

Click on Expert Control
Click on White Balance
Click on IRE
at this point it should start out at IRE of 100. You should see a set of oval windows at the bottom of your screen. Red, Green, Blue, and IRE. You then adjust the Red, Green, and Blue levels per the setting in the LCDBuyingGuide.com article. Then you click on the TV Picture icon in the bottom left of the screen and select IRE of 95. Repeat adjusting R,G,B settings. Click on TV Picture icon in bottom left corner of screen and select IRE of 90. Repeat. Takes about 10 minutes to do all 60 settings. It does make a difference in the color accuracy of the picture. I ended up tweaking some other settings to make the picture 'pop' and look better to my eyes. I believe I set dynamic contrast to low (or possibly medium) and Color Gamut range to Wide, also turned on Edge Enhancer. Otherwise I left everything according to the settings in the article.
Bought the same TV for our airline crash pad this week. I'm astonished at its poor app selection. No Spotify? WTH?
post #762 of 1378 Old 06-30-2014, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent AC Slater View Post
Hey Guys first time poster on here and looking for a bit of info on the LG models.. The model I am looking at is the LB6500 which is basically the 3D version of the 6300..

I have read a few reviews saying that the LG has good viewing angles but thats about the only area it wins in in terms of blacks, contrast and colours..

Now I am looking at a tv that I can basically play games on (ps4) or watch movies.. with the occasional tv viewing but very limited except for maybe some sport.. Im in Australia so the price on the 6500 is about 1200 bucks so bare in mind that I am not really wanting to spend much more then 1800 bucks Australian, am I better off going for the Sony W800B

thanks for your help
Hey I'm in the same boat as you. Looking at the LG 6500, Sony W800B, and Samsung 6400. I would sacrifice the black level for viewing angle, because I value gamma slightly more than black level, but according to rtings.com the LG's don't do so well in a bright room compared to the others, which is really where LED should be excelling. That is really the only thing stopping me from getting the LG.

So for me that leaves the Sony and Samsung. They are both basically the same in terms of performance, both do panel lottery (according to this article Sony are using 50% taiwan panels, so the odds of winning the panel lottery might actually be worse with Sony.

So for now I'm back to looking at Samsungs. But every time I look at them on display I come away with mixed feelings about the off angle washout. I can't commit to buying because I think I'll be disappointed. But at the same time I need to buy something.

edit: forgot to say, I'm now leaning back to the Samsung 6400 because its the only one with a swivel stand, so you can point it where you're sitting and suffer less viewing angle issues.

Last edited by assm0de; 06-30-2014 at 10:11 AM.
post #763 of 1378 Old 06-30-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresnowhy View Post
Bought the same TV for our airline crash pad this week. I'm astonished at its poor app selection. No Spotify? WTH?
https://support.spotify.com/us/learn.../#!/article/LG
post #764 of 1378 Old 06-30-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:

Click on Expert Control
Click on White Balance
Click on IRE
Thanks! Was able to do this. Did you keep black level on low as per the article? Think with these settings I'm experiencing the local dimming indark scenes.

Also, did you change the "Cinema" settings or the IFS Expert 1 settings? Article seems conflicting.
post #765 of 1378 Old 07-01-2014, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Read your link. It says 2012 LG Tvs. This model clearly does not have Spotify. It doesn't even have Pandora.
post #766 of 1378 Old 07-01-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks! Was able to do this. Did you keep black level on low as per the article? Think with these settings I'm experiencing the local dimming indark scenes.

Also, did you change the "Cinema" settings or the IFS Expert 1 settings? Article seems conflicting.
Yes, I left the black level on low. I used the IFS Expert1 settings. You're right the article seems to tell you to use the Cinema settings in the intro and then the IFS Expert1 Settings in the body of the actual settings.
post #767 of 1378 Old 07-01-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Yes, I left the black level on low. I used the IFS Expert1 settings. You're right the article seems to tell you to use the Cinema settings in the intro and then the IFS Expert1 Settings in the body of the actual settings.
Thanks for your help. I find that if I leave the black level on low I get the dimming during dark scenes. Do you just put up with this?
post #768 of 1378 Old 07-01-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your help. I find that if I leave the black level on low I get the dimming during dark scenes. Do you just put up with this?
Hmmm...can you describe this, or point to a post where it is described?
post #769 of 1378 Old 07-01-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Hmmm...can you describe this, or point to a post where it is described?
People here describe it as local dimming. Basically, when the scene is real dark it seems to dim the screen briefly making it even darker.
post #770 of 1378 Old 07-01-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Can you turn off the dimming entirely? If so, what is the effect?

"Read Less, More TV." - Dr. Gregory House

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

The Metropolis Home Theater

Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems - Affiliated
post #771 of 1378 Old 07-01-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
Can you turn off the dimming entirely? If so, what is the effect?
It is called Global Dimming and there is no way to turn it off. I posted a video awhile back of this issue. It is Star Trek TNG opening and you will see the screen gets really dim and you can hardly see the stars.

It sucks and this issue has been around for a few years and LG refuses to fix this issue!!!!
post #772 of 1378 Old 07-02-2014, 07:27 AM

Liked: 14
I believe other manufacturers also have non-defeatable global dimming. I had a Samsung F6300 for a few days that did the same thing with no way to disable it. I dislike the feature as well, it's the only thing I don't like with the LB7100.
post #773 of 1378 Old 07-02-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlerm View Post
I believe other manufacturers also have non-defeatable global dimming. I had a Samsung F6300 for a few days that did the same thing with no way to disable it. I dislike the feature as well, it's the only thing I don't like with the LB7100.
The only way I have been able to avoid it is by setting the black level to High instead of Low. Then you will likely need to tweak a bunch of other settings to minimize the washed out look.

A bit frustrating all of this, was really hoping I would just take TV home and be blown away with picture. Have a few days I believe to take it back, so unsure what to do at this point especially since I no longer have the box.
post #774 of 1378 Old 07-02-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
The only way I have been able to avoid it is by setting the black level to High instead of Low. Then you will likely need to tweak a bunch of other settings to minimize the washed out look.

A bit frustrating all of this, was really hoping I would just take TV home and be blown away with picture. Have a few days I believe to take it back, so unsure what to do at this point especially since I no longer have the box.
I have tried that approach but would prefer the global dimming side effect, the black levels are way too light. I have been through several TV's over the last couple of months (I am picky and had to buy 2 of them). If you don't care about 3D and wide viewing angles the new 60" Vizio M-series is awesome (not even factoring in the cost).
post #775 of 1378 Old 07-02-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlerm View Post
I have tried that approach but would prefer the global dimming side effect, the black levels are way too light. I have been through several TV's over the last couple of months (I am picky and had to buy 2 of them). If you don't care about 3D and wide viewing angles the new 60" Vizio M-series is awesome (not even factoring in the cost).
Don't seem to be available here in Canada for some reason in any retailers. My main issue currently is if I take my current tv back, what to get in its place. Decisions, decisions..
post #776 of 1378 Old 07-02-2014, 08:13 AM

Is there a manual for the LG menu options? It would be nice to get a concise view of what all the options are without having to google them one off...additionally, would be nice to see the hierarchy of the menus without having to click around.
post #777 of 1378 Old 07-02-2014, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent AC Slater View Post

thanks for your help

Interesting, doesn't seem like the LB6500's going to be released in the US market. Kind of a bummer to see a loss of confidence in 3D here; I love it, have 2 passive 3D LG models...and would like to be able to replace my smaller 42 inch model--an LA6200--with another 3D set when the time comes. But LG--and most other manufacturers--are reserving the feature for the largest and more expensive models now.

Maybe improved passive performance with 4K and a few blockbuster 3D Blu-rays will reverse the trend, but I'm inclined to doubt it.

Edit:

But now I'm seeing a few fringe listings for 6500s, but not from major dealers like Amazon. What gives with the seemingly more conservative distribution of these units? I can't even pull up a listing for this model on LG's official US website; there's support options, but no listing for the TV itself. Maybe it's a forthcoming model and not widely available yet? Or maybe the vendors in question are due to take down their listings for canceled product... Time will tell. If the LB6500 does come out here, it will be the only 3D capable set I've been able to turn up available in a screen dimension smaller than 50 inches.

Last edited by JackN; 07-02-2014 at 10:26 PM. Reason: clarity
post #778 of 1378 Old 07-03-2014, 09:01 AM

Has anyone used a bias light with their LED TV, similar to this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...uct_refresh_T1

I think it will be a perfect compliment to deal with some of the flashlighting. I love the picture on my TV, but the light uniformity does distract, so I'm hoping this will make it less obvious. It's mainly an issue because I need to turn the room lights off to reduce glare, but that makes the lighting issues stand out...this seems like a good compromise.

Last edited by laggerific; 07-03-2014 at 09:04 AM.
post #779 of 1378 Old 07-04-2014, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Not sure what this means

Just got a 47LN5400 and hooked up to time warner cable. HDMI connection to the tv. When you press the info button on the remote it gives only the screen resolution and next to it it says 60Hz. I have the same tv in 42in size hooked up in another place with comcast, and when I push the info button, I get the resolution, the type of audio and the channel info and no 60Hz.
The set has a 120Hz refresh rate, so what is the 60Hz and why doesn't the set connected to time warner (NYC) show the other info?
Thanks
post #780 of 1378 Old 07-05-2014, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post
Just got a 47LN5400 and hooked up to time warner cable. HDMI connection to the tv. When you press the info button on the remote it gives only the screen resolution and next to it it says 60Hz. I have the same tv in 42in size hooked up in another place with comcast, and when I push the info button, I get the resolution, the type of audio and the channel info and no 60Hz.
The set has a 120Hz refresh rate, so what is the 60Hz and why doesn't the set connected to time warner (NYC) show the other info?
Thanks
The signal from your cable provider would only be 60hz. As far as I know the only way to get 120 is via Blu-ray.

I just got another update for the LB6300. I really wish they would tell us what these updates are doing somewhere, I can't believe they don't have any notes on these updates.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60es7100 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page