2014 LG THREAD - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1189 Old 07-14-2014, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
make sure you turn 'energy saving' off in the settings as well as choose a different picture mode other than APS Auto-Power saving. that should resolve your auto dimming issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1189 Old 07-14-2014, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How can you find the manufacture date of an LG TV while its in the box at the store? Any code in the serial number? I didn't see manufacture date listed on the label, only the back of the TV. I am planning on exchanging my LG 60LB7100 because it randomly turns off and occasionally flashes bright white and want to get a more recent build. The current TV was built in March.

Last edited by r0ck0; 07-14-2014 at 10:54 AM.
post #813 of 1189 Old 07-14-2014, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I live here in Mexico and was able to pick up a LB426500 yesterday morning (returning a LA426100-3d no magic remote) and have been pleased at the difference.
I have this on HDMI 1 in PC mode as a monitor for my HTPC setup (AMD- CPU/GPU-old 5770). I found that not choosing PC mode (making it necessary to change your scaling in CCC) and keeping it in HDMI makes any video I play glitch a tad every few seconds. I tried it with several different file formats, all acting the same. In PC mode, everything is as smooth as butter.
I still am confused as to whether this TV is actually 120hz or not as it has MCI 600 (new true motion phrasing). I can tell you one thing though, scrolling sites such as this are super smooth compared to anything else I have ever witnessed. The 3D playback is way clearer than the 6100. I checked that right off the bat just to see if there was a noticeable difference, and I played Wreck It Ralph which I had tested the night before just for this and couldn't see the miniscule dots in their eyes anymore. Looked great.
What I would like to have is an option to use the true motion while in PC mode as I watch sports and surf more than anything and I will have to revert back and forth to use that feature between movies, videos, and sports (the glitch being non apparent for sports as I am Streaming that). I tested different settings last night using true motion on a WNBA game and got the best results with it set on smooth.
Other than that little dilemma I can say that this TV is gonna be a keeper. When first turned on you get a good look at how bad of a backlight bleed your gonna get because they have everything maxed and just a little LG cube spinning (or something) right in the middle. I had bleed in every corner so I immediately loosened the screws on the back and the left corners are barely noticeable now while the top right is still there but is not very bad.
I have been reading this thread and was worried about the Global Dimming effect people are getting on the 7000 series and was concerned about that because I turn everything down as low as possible in Expert 1 to use as my Movie watching choice, cause I like it dark,dark,dark! Anyway, I have been reading that the 3000 dropped the local dimming the 7000's use. I tried to replicate it using the Gravity scene that was used earlier to showcase this problem and didn't get that at all. So here's to crossed fingers, because that would drive me nuts. I would probably have to return this thing and I don't know what I would do then because I like passive 3D.
If anyone has any suggestions to my HDMI-PC woes or would like something answered about this model, I' do my best . thanks
post #814 of 1189 Old 07-14-2014, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddincabo View Post
I live here in Mexico and was able to pick up a LB426500 yesterday morning (returning a LA426100-3d no magic remote) and have been pleased at the difference.
I have this on HDMI 1 in PC mode as a monitor for my HTPC setup (AMD- CPU/GPU-old 5770). I found that not choosing PC mode (making it necessary to change your scaling in CCC) and keeping it in HDMI makes any video I play glitch a tad every few seconds. I tried it with several different file formats, all acting the same. In PC mode, everything is as smooth as butter.
I still am confused as to whether this TV is actually 120hz or not as it has MCI 600 (new true motion phrasing). I can tell you one thing though, scrolling sites such as this are super smooth compared to anything else I have ever witnessed. The 3D playback is way clearer than the 6100. I checked that right off the bat just to see if there was a noticeable difference, and I played Wreck It Ralph which I had tested the night before just for this and couldn't see the miniscule dots in their eyes anymore. Looked great.
What I would like to have is an option to use the true motion while in PC mode as I watch sports and surf more than anything and I will have to revert back and forth to use that feature between movies, videos, and sports (the glitch being non apparent for sports as I am Streaming that). I tested different settings last night using true motion on a WNBA game and got the best results with it set on smooth.
Other than that little dilemma I can say that this TV is gonna be a keeper. When first turned on you get a good look at how bad of a backlight bleed your gonna get because they have everything maxed and just a little LG cube spinning (or something) right in the middle. I had bleed in every corner so I immediately loosened the screws on the back and the left corners are barely noticeable now while the top right is still there but is not very bad.
I have been reading this thread and was worried about the Global Dimming effect people are getting on the 7000 series and was concerned about that because I turn everything down as low as possible in Expert 1 to use as my Movie watching choice, cause I like it dark,dark,dark! Anyway, I have been reading that the 3000 dropped the local dimming the 7000's use. I tried to replicate it using the Gravity scene that was used earlier to showcase this problem and didn't get that at all. So here's to crossed fingers, because that would drive me nuts. I would probably have to return this thing and I don't know what I would do then because I like passive 3D.
If anyone has any suggestions to my HDMI-PC woes or would like something answered about this model, I' do my best . thanks
Hey! I am from Mexico too and I want to buy the same TV, how much did you pay for it? where did you get it?

Thanks!
post #815 of 1189 Old 07-14-2014, 12:53 PM

Castiel....."Hey! I am from Mexico too and I want to buy the same TV, how much did you pay for it? where did you get it?"

I picked up the LG 42LB6500 at the Costco here in Cabo for $9,500 pesos (about $750 u.s.). Try Electra and WalMart also, they carry lg sets. Not sure about Soriana. City Club has them here also but were charging way more for them for some reason.

Last edited by toddincabo; 07-14-2014 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added a price and location
post #816 of 1189 Old 07-14-2014, 01:59 PM

LG42LB6500 - I was curious about just how much heat this tv was putting out the top vents compared to my last tv and found that there are no "heat escape" vents on the top or bottom or anywhere. This thing is hot man! Right over the RCA jack area.
I suppose they are confident that this will not be an issue, but not me.
Looks like I'll be doing some drilling and mini fan installment in this thing if I keep it. . I added two 1" fans in my old 39" Samsung to blow over the power board and out the top. Fairly easy to do and didn't have to drill any holes. Completely different story here.
Do no vents disturb anyone else. (I guess adding my own fans probably disturbs people more), but heat and electronics doesn't fare well for longevity.
post #817 of 1189 Old 07-14-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ck0 View Post
How can you find the manufacture date of an LG TV while its in the box at the store? Any code in the serial number? I didn't see manufacture date listed on the label, only the back of the TV. I am planning on exchanging my LG 60LB7100 because it randomly turns off and occasionally flashes bright white and want to get a more recent build. The current TV was built in March.
the serial number will tell you the month and year it was manufactured. specifically the first 3 numbers. the first number is the year and the next two are the month. ex...301 is Jan/2013...407 is July/2014...
r0ck0 and JaySound55 like this.
post #818 of 1189 Old 07-14-2014, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomol620 View Post
the serial number will tell you the month and year it was manufactured. specifically the first 3 numbers. the first number is the year and the next two are the month. ex...301 is Jan/2013...407 is July/2014...
Thanks!
post #819 of 1189 Old 07-14-2014, 02:25 PM

the LB6500 is 120Hz.

the MCI rating that LG is using this year is NOT equal to Hz. its a combination of features that they plug into an equation. i think its like Hz + picture processing + other things = MCI rating.
post #820 of 1189 Old 07-14-2014, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the info on the 6500 being 120hz.

How am I utilizing this 120hz being hooked up through HDMI / PC mode. Curious as in games,3D,etc.

Last edited by toddincabo; 07-14-2014 at 05:36 PM. Reason: more googling
post #821 of 1189 Old 07-14-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
ok i understand now. well either you may need service to replace the main board of the TV, or you would just need to wait until a SW update resolves the issue, or you can just pull up the home screen and click on the 'Live TV' icon. if i were in your shoes i would just go with the work around. all the hassle of service is too much and i would rather just click the icon in the home screen.
Now I suspect that the behavior I experienced is a feature, not a bug. I think LG considers a live channel anything that is cable, antenna, and HDMI1/2/3. Thus, the button will do nothing if your input is any of those. However, if you're in any app that is not cable/antenna/HDMI*, and you press the "exit to live" button, it takes you to the last used live input.

Just noticed that behavior last night when I was using the web browser.
post #822 of 1189 Old 07-14-2014, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
make sure you turn 'energy saving' off in the settings as well as choose a different picture mode other than APS Auto-Power saving. that should resolve your auto dimming issue
That is not the issue. The issue is global dimming and there is no way to turn it off and LG refuses to fix this!!!!!!!!
post #823 of 1189 Old 07-14-2014, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparbob7 View Post
That is not the issue. The issue is global dimming and there is no way to turn it off and LG refuses to fix this!!!!!!!!
When do you notice this? I watched a 70lb7100 for about 5 min at the store and I didn't notice any dimming fluctuations. I'm really torn, I want a 70", and the lg physically looks great, but I'm worried about performance and bugs like this dimming bug you're talking about
post #824 of 1189 Old 07-15-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PExeter View Post
When do you notice this? I watched a 70lb7100 for about 5 min at the store and I didn't notice any dimming fluctuations. I'm really torn, I want a 70", and the lg physically looks great, but I'm worried about performance and bugs like this dimming bug you're talking about
I pretty much noticed it right away. When I turn the channels and the screen goes dark and the comcast info comes up with the channel and what is on that goes dim and when the channel comes up it gets bright.

Then I really noticed it when I was watching Star Trek TNG during the opening. I posted a video awhile back around page 12 post 354 I think. Check it out, other than that this TV is awesome!!!!
post #825 of 1189 Old 07-15-2014, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Global Dimming on the LG isn't a bug, it is a "feature." Lots of LCD manufacturers, even Samsung, use this method to increase black levels during dark scenes. I don't know of any that do not use global dimming. What we need is a way to disable it.
post #826 of 1189 Old 07-15-2014, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I pretty much noticed it right away. When I turn the channels and the screen goes dark and the comcast info comes up with the channel and what is on that goes dim and when the channel comes up it gets bright.

Then I really noticed it when I was watching Star Trek TNG during the opening. I posted a video awhile back around page 12 post 354 I think. Check it out, other than that this TV is awesome!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlerm View Post
Global Dimming on the LG isn't a bug, it is a "feature." Lots of LCD manufacturers, even Samsung, use this method to increase black levels during dark scenes. I don't know of any that do not use global dimming. What we need is a way to disable it.
Thanks for the replies, I know the 7100 has the local dimming too, but like I said, when I was watching it at the store I didn't see any of what your video showed (screen constantly trying to adjust to show dark scenes and light scenes), I noticed you have the 7200, it is possible its only this extreme on the 7200?
post #827 of 1189 Old 07-15-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, I know the 7100 has the local dimming too, but like I said, when I was watching it at the store I didn't see any of what your video showed (screen constantly trying to adjust to show dark scenes and light scenes), I noticed you have the 7200, it is possible its only this extreme on the 7200?
I did have the 7200 it was the same thing.
post #828 of 1189 Old 07-15-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlerm View Post
I dont understand why they do this!!!!!!

Do they even watch the TV after they make it. This is horrible and unacceptable, these people must be blind or dont care about there product.

When I had a Sumsung TV about 5 years ago I went in the service menu and disabled it. I think it was called CSE or something like that. I tried everything in the service menu with this LG but could not find how to disable it. Something are grayed out and may if we can find the right code to unlock it.
post #829 of 1189 Old 07-15-2014, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I did have the 7200 it was the same thing.
So you have a 7100 now?
post #830 of 1189 Old 07-15-2014, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

I just played with a 70lb7100 for about an hour no issues with dimming at all. I just bought the one they had and will play with it at home and hope for the same
post #831 of 1189 Old 07-15-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I just played with a 70lb7100 for about an hour no issues with dimming at all. I just bought the one they had and will play with it at home and hope for the same
I have the 60LB7100.

I guarantee you will have global dimming.
post #832 of 1189 Old 07-15-2014, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

You may be right, but watching video showed no signs, and I did the test like the video posted where he moves the cursor on a black screen and it didn't show any signs of that either.
post #833 of 1189 Old 07-15-2014, 03:27 PM

at my current location i have a 47LB6500, 47LA6900, 47LM6700, 47GA6400 and 47G2....so unfortunately the only 2014 TV i have access to at my current location is the 47LB6500. now, i do have access to a location that has several LB7100's and 7200's as well as some of the 4K models LG have released (i think there is one of the OLED TV's there as well).

i will be traveling to that location in a few days and i will be able to report on the global dimming issue on all of the 7100/7200's i see.

ill report back when i have seen them. luckily, i have my Star Trek TNG collection and Gravity that i can take along with me.

we will see..
post #834 of 1189 Old 07-15-2014, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Im sorry Moparbob, been playing with my new 7100 all day, no signs of global dimming. I've tried blu rays, dark scenes, pointer on black backgrounds...all perfect. Im loving my LG. It sucks, Im sorry you're having such issues, but when someone like me is reading forums like this looking for advice and trying to decide on a tv, one incident like yours can really put a giant sour spotlight on a product. Im glad I listened to my gut, it was especially hard with not very many 7100 owners on here.

If anyone wants any other info on the 7100 that cant be found already in this thread, let me know, i'll try to answer what I can and post pics if needed/wanted.
Castiel likes this.
post #835 of 1189 Old 07-15-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Im sorry Moparbob, been playing with my new 7100 all day, no signs of global dimming. I've tried blu rays, dark scenes, pointer on black backgrounds...all perfect. Im loving my LG. It sucks, Im sorry you're having such issues, but when someone like me is reading forums like this looking for advice and trying to decide on a tv, one incident like yours can really put a giant sour spotlight on a product. Im glad I listened to my gut, it was especially hard with not very many 7100 owners on here.

If anyone wants any other info on the 7100 that cant be found already in this thread, let me know, i'll try to answer what I can and post pics if needed/wanted.
I guarantee you have global dimming.

What is your black level set at? It should be set on low. If it is set to high it does not look right and there is no global dimming. I am not sure if the auto setting does it also.

I had 2 55Lb7200 and 2 60LB7100 and they all had global dimming and also there are other people on here and on Amazon reviews having this issue!!!
post #836 of 1189 Old 07-16-2014, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
I guarantee you have global dimming.

What is your black level set at? It should be set on low. If it is set to high it does not look right and there is no global dimming. I am not sure if the auto setting does it also.

I had 2 55Lb7200 and 2 60LB7100 and they all had global dimming and also there are other people on here and on Amazon reviews having this issue!!!
Maybe it has to do with the fact he has the 70". It does not have the IPS panel and may also have different hardware or software settings. I have the 65" which is supposed to have an IPS panel and have noticed the dimming on dark scenes as well as the backlight issues with the pointer. I am exchanging it for a new one do to horrible viewing angles on dark scenes (gets washed out to the point I can't make out the picture from the side) and flashing while viewing (happens at least once when watching a movie).
post #837 of 1189 Old 07-16-2014, 04:48 PM

I have quick question. How do I get the Lb6300 version to not turn on my PS3 when I turn on the TV?

I just want the option where if I turn on my PS3, it would automatically turn on my LG. Not the turning on my TV and it automatically turn on my PS3 even though I don't want it to.
post #838 of 1189 Old 07-17-2014, 02:55 AM

I have a LG 2014 4K - 49UB850V
Has anyone worked out what, if any, videos are supported via USB. I've converted via divx10 some 4K but it's failed to playback.
Thanks
post #839 of 1189 Old 07-17-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedblight View Post
I have a LG 2014 4K - 49UB850V
Has anyone worked out what, if any, videos are supported via USB. I've converted via divx10 some 4K but it's failed to playback.
Thanks
now im no expert in file extensions but is "Divx HD" different from "Divx10"?...the spec for that TV list DivxHD as the compatible video file format.

also i would recommend that you use the USB 3.0 port on the TV and store the 4K file in a usb 3.0 storage device. the usb 2.0 ports may not support enough bandwidth for your 4K video.
post #840 of 1189 Old 07-17-2014, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hi everybody. I'm in the market for a 65" and am trying to decide on a 4k or a plasma. I have an offer to get the 65ub9500 for under $2300. There are very few reviews out there and I am wondering if I should jump on this. I'm not sold on the set based on reviews of previous edge lit LG sets wrt black levels and the dimming issues. There just doesn't seem to be any info on these new sets anywhere. The thing that has me hesitating is that prices of 4k sets are dropping fast and I don't need the set for another month or so due to renovations. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60es7100 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Un60es7100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page