Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 895 Old 07-21-2014, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpcrossxover View Post
Just a little bump for the question I had earlier.
You will need to turn off HDMI-CEC. It will be called "HDMI-sync," "HDMI-CEC," or "control for HDMI."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 895 Old 07-21-2014, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
Hi all,

I have a 3 year old LG in the bedroom 55" and really like the picture on that set. However a few months ago i got two vertical lines almost in the middle of the tv. We needed to buy another tv for the family room and went with the vizio 80". However, now every time I watch something on the vizio and come back up to the bedroom and watch it on lg, i feel like the lg pic quality is better. I don't know if its due to the reflective screen on the LG vs matt screen on the vizio. I tried many setting on the vizio but can't figure it out to reproduce pictures the way its on the LG.

I am considering returning the vizio for a LG 70". Since i have gotten used to the 80" screen not sure if a 70" would do it.

Also, the vizio usb does not play most files, unlike my LG which plays MKV fine. also now I appreciate the LG more, its so easy to use and navigate.

what do you guys think of the 70" LG. I don't think costco sells the 70" lg. i would prefer it to buy from them so that return is easy.
its a good TV. the first thing you need to do is calibrate your TV's, then you could make a fair comparison. once you can properly compare the two screens, then choose. I would go for LG...its one of the top quality brands, much like how Sony was in the 90's
post #873 of 895 Old 07-21-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Is there any setting where I have different volume setting for different inputs?

Like for example my old Vizio. My antenna input has a higher volume than my hdmi volume.
im not sure what you are asking. if different inputs give you different levels of audio, just raise and lower the volume accordingly...
post #874 of 895 Old 07-21-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
on LG TV's HDMI-CEC tech is called 'Simplink'...make sure that is turned off...
post #875 of 895 Old 07-21-2014, 01:57 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
I have the LB6300 and most definitely have global dimming issue as well. With the settings listed (most specifically black level to LOW) scenes are constantly darkening making it unbearable to watch. I've had to resort to using Cinema mode (or out of the box IFS Expert 2) mode as anything when setting black level to LOW produces this issue. I really wish I could turn of the dimming feature, as otherwise the picture is great.
post #876 of 895 Old 07-21-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdob View Post
I have the LB6300 and most definitely have global dimming issue as well. With the settings listed (most specifically black level to LOW) scenes are constantly darkening making it unbearable to watch. I've had to resort to using Cinema mode (or out of the box IFS Expert 2) mode as anything when setting black level to LOW produces this issue. I really wish I could turn of the dimming feature, as otherwise the picture is great.
seems like there is a big batch of defective TV's out there. i just tested a LB7100 and LB7200 and niether produced the 'Global dimming' or backlight flaring issue. the original facility i was at, had a LB6500 that also did not exhibit the back light flaring issue that a few others have mentioned.

LG really needs to look at thier QC and make sure they test for back light flaring before it leaves the factory. my guess is that they dont have the capacity to test every unit for every issue which is how these TV's with the back light flare defect get through to end users....its understandable though.

Last edited by Fomol620; 07-21-2014 at 02:22 PM.
post #877 of 895 Old 07-21-2014, 02:32 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomol620 View Post
seems like there is a big batch of defective TV's out there. i just tested a LB7100 and LB7200 and niether produced the 'Global dimming' or backlight flaring issue. the original facility i was at, had a LB6500 that also did not exhibit the back light flaring issue that a few others have mentioned.

LG really needs to look at thier QC and make sure they test for back light flaring before it leaves the factory. my guess is that they dont have the capacity to test every unit for every issue which is how these TV's with the back light flare defect get through to end users....its understandable though.
It does seem like something many people talk about looking back at old threads. I can't see how this feature is intended to work this way, but admittedly ive never had a LED TV before so am learning to deal with some issue that I never had previously (one of main issues is during soccer, or something where there is fast movement on a constant background there seem to be very breifly some black shadowing left over).

I'm not sure if I should try exchanging this TV or keep tinkering with settings. Does anyone know of some good settings with black levels set to High?
post #878 of 895 Old 07-21-2014, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone know anything about the model LG 55UB830V? it is supposed to have HDMI 2.0. Set to launch 15th of August here in Norway for $1900 including 25% VAT.
post #879 of 895 Old 07-21-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deleder View Post
Anyone know anything about the model LG 55UB830V? it is supposed to have HDMI 2.0. Set to launch 15th of August here in Norway for $1900 including 25% VAT.
i cant be 100% sure on non-US models but for the US market the UB8500 series which has 4 HDMI ports, the only port that will support 4K@60Hz (aka hdmi 2.0) is the HDMI port 3. all of the other other ports (1,2,4) are HDMI 1.4b so that will support 4K@30hz.

also the HDMI 2.0 port (3) will only work when connected to a compatible HDMI 2.0 device. for example you connect any Cable/Satellite to HDMI 3 and it may not work since there is no HDMI 2.0 compatible STB.
post #880 of 895 Old 07-21-2014, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
im not sure what you are asking. if different inputs give you different levels of audio, just raise and lower the volume accordingly...
That's the thing. I want the tv to have different volume levels for each inputs. This tv doesn't seem to have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlerm View Post
You will need to turn off HDMI-CEC. It will be called "HDMI-sync," "HDMI-CEC," or "control for HDMI."
Wouldn't that eliminate my PS3 ability to turn on my TV? I don't want my tv to turn on my PS3 every time I switch to hdmi. Is there a setting for this? Or am I stuck at the tv turning on my PS3 every time I switch to hdmi?
post #881 of 895 Old 07-21-2014, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Hi,

Could you clarify this for me please.

Are you saying that the LB6500 does NOT have mandatory forced global backlight dimming? Is this in all picture modes, or only some?

I have tried to discern this from display models but am having difficulty telling if the backlight is dimming as the APL lowers.

Thanks.
post #882 of 895 Old 07-21-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparbob7 View Post

What is your black level set at? It should be set on low. If it is set to high it does not look right and there is no global dimming. I am not sure if the auto setting does it also.

Hi moparbob

I believe the black level setting should be set to High as most video content encodes black level at the higher value of 16 instead of 0.

After setting it to High, you will probably need to re-adjust the Brightness control until video signal black matches up with the panel's lowest shade of black. For this you will need a test pattern, or you can use the black bars of a movie, raise Brightness til the bars just start to get lighter, then decrease it back one click. I suspect you have not done this, since you say "it does not look right".

So, just to confirm, when black level is set to High, are you saying that there is no global dimming AT ALL? i.e the brightness is stable and does not dim the backlight on darker scenes? Because this is the confirmation that I am looking for.

Thanks
post #883 of 895 Old 07-21-2014, 11:58 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

I have a 2013 model--an LA6200--which also exhibits global dimming, under certain conditions... Check whether you're been evaluating these newer sets in "DTV" mode; global dimming is not active at all on my 6200 in this instance. But it's quite conspicuous in Component Video mode, in which I've resorted to a high black level setting to even it out a little. And I have also detected it to a more subtle degree than seen in the Star Trek clips over HDMI connections. In all modes where I see it, the backlight makes scene to scene adjustments depending on content, as well as turning the backlight completely off during completely blank screens.

So check your modes. Additionally: Verify your black level is set to "low," and with test footage--such as those 'Trek' clips--you could adjust your brightness until a star field barely registers before a much brighter object like the enterprise comes into view. Watch those stars: you should be able to spot anything that dims significantly or outright disappears as a consequence of global dimming.
post #884 of 895 Old Yesterday, 05:13 AM

Quote:
again i did not notice any backlight flaring or global dimming or whatever you are calling it.
What is backlight flaring? Are you referring to the flickering or flashing of bright light?
post #885 of 895 Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM

Quote:
That's the thing. I want the tv to have different volume levels for each inputs. This tv doesn't seem to have it.

Wouldn't that eliminate my PS3 ability to turn on my TV? I don't want my tv to turn on my PS3 every time I switch to hdmi. Is there a setting for this? Or am I stuck at the tv turning on my PS3 every time I switch to hdmi?
correct, if you want the PS3 to turn the TV on when you power it on, you will not be able to prevent the TV turning the PS3 on when you switch to that input.
post #886 of 895 Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assm0de View Post
Hi,

Could you clarify this for me please.

Are you saying that the LB6500 does NOT have mandatory forced global backlight dimming? Is this in all picture modes, or only some?

I have tried to discern this from display models but am having difficulty telling if the backlight is dimming as the APL lowers.

Thanks.
what im saying is that i am not experiencing the 'global dimming' or back light flaring that Moparbob is experiencing....with both the LB7100 and LB7200 and the LB6500 using the settings Moparbob used. ive tried in different picture modes. the video moparbob posted is not what a TV should look like...so i suspect that he has had multiple defective sets in a row (as rare as that is).
post #887 of 895 Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post
I have a 2013 model--an LA6200--which also exhibits global dimming, under certain conditions... Check whether you're been evaluating these newer sets in "DTV" mode; global dimming is not active at all on my 6200 in this instance. But it's quite conspicuous in Component Video mode, in which I've resorted to a high black level setting to even it out a little. And I have also detected it to a more subtle degree than seen in the Star Trek clips over HDMI connections. In all modes where I see it, the backlight makes scene to scene adjustments depending on content, as well as turning the backlight completely off during completely blank screens.

So check your modes. Additionally: Verify your black level is set to "low," and with test footage--such as those 'Trek' clips--you could adjust your brightness until a star field barely registers before a much brighter object like the enterprise comes into view. Watch those stars: you should be able to spot anything that dims significantly or outright disappears as a consequence of global dimming.
im not sure what you mean by 'DTV' mode....there is no picture mode that is called DTV. the only thing called DTV are the Digital Antenna Channels. so do you actually mean evaluating the TV when im in the Antenna/Coax input? yup, back light never disappears.
post #888 of 895 Old Yesterday, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehwoneee View Post
What is backlight flaring? Are you referring to the flickering or flashing of bright light?
others are calling it 'global dimming'.

if you go back to Moparbob's post (around post 350) you will see the youtube videos he linked, especially the one with the opening sequence for Star Trek TNG...his back light is flaring up, going up and down and in a black seen the back light seemingly goes off.
post #889 of 895 Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM

Quote:
others are calling it 'global dimming'.

if you go back to Moparbob's post (around post 350) you will see the youtube videos he linked, especially the one with the opening sequence for Star Trek TNG...his back light is flaring up, going up and down and in a black seen the back light seemingly goes off.
Have you noticed any screen flashing? This is my second set and it flashed again while I was watching a movie. I have not changed any settings since getting the second set and haven't noticed any global dimming yet, but it's only been two days.
post #890 of 895 Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
i cant be 100% sure on non-US models but for the US market the UB8500 series which has 4 HDMI ports, the only port that will support 4K@60Hz (aka hdmi 2.0) is the HDMI port 3. all of the other other ports (1,2,4) are HDMI 1.4b so that will support 4K@30hz.

also the HDMI 2.0 port (3) will only work when connected to a compatible HDMI 2.0 device. for example you connect any Cable/Satellite to HDMI 3 and it may not work since there is no HDMI 2.0 compatible STB.

Thanks. The UB8500, is the "UB850" as it is named here in Europe. The one I am speaking about is not yet released. If it is also released in the U.S, I would guess the name is the same with an extra 0 like the UB8500.
post #891 of 895 Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
what im saying is that i am not experiencing the 'global dimming' or back light flaring that Moparbob is experiencing....with both the LB7100 and LB7200 and the LB6500 using the settings Moparbob used. ive tried in different picture modes. the video moparbob posted is not what a TV should look like...so i suspect that he has had multiple defective sets in a row (as rare as that is).
Other people are having this same issue and also LG calls this a feature, to give you a deeper and better blacks. This problem has been around for a few years on different models.
post #892 of 895 Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
im not sure what you mean by 'DTV' mode....there is no picture mode that is called DTV. the only thing called DTV are the Digital Antenna Channels. so do you actually mean evaluating the TV when im in the Antenna/Coax input? yup, back light never disappears.

Yes, "DTV" corresponds to the coax connection for over-the-air Digital Antenna channels; when in this mode, global dimming IS NOT active (on my 6200).

My point was for anyone NOT seeing this issue to ensure they're NOT looking for it in DTV mode (called "TV" off the input screen of the 6200). Be certain you're checking for global dimming in one of the other input modes--HDMI, Component, etc.--before deciding your set doesn't manifest the issue.

Last edited by JackN; Yesterday at 01:54 PM.
post #893 of 895 Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehwoneee View Post
Have you noticed any screen flashing? This is my second set and it flashed again while I was watching a movie. I have not changed any settings since getting the second set and haven't noticed any global dimming yet, but it's only been two days.
nope. no 'flashing' or anything. all i have seen so far is normal operation from the TV's i have tested.
post #894 of 895 Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post
Yes, "DTV" corresponds to the coax connection for over-the-air Digital Antenna channels; when in this mode, global dimming IS NOT active (on my 6200).

My point was for anyone NOT seeing this issue to ensure they're NOT looking for it in DTV mode (called "TV" off the input screen of the 6200). Be certain you're checking for global dimming in one of the other input modes--HDMI, Component, etc.--before deciding your set doesn't manifest the issue.
yes i have tested this on many inputs, starting with HDMI. no Global dimming or screen flashing.
post #895 of 895 Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Setting the Black Level to HIGH fixed the minor issues I was seeing.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60es7100 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page