2014 LG THREAD - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1007 Old 09-17-2014, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Post 60LB7100 - fab. May 2014 - Canada - Impression

Bought the 60LB7100 (fab. May 2014) and installed it yesternight (Canada).

Going from CRT to LED; I didn't feel satisfied as I noticed right away the amount of image pre-process and input delay (sadly, must endure today's weak technology). I went through the settings and disabled as many features as possible and did a quick image calibration (needs to be redone). Might give the Expert setting a look but worried about the warning message.

I bought this one for it's low input latency, 3D feature, and Dual-View 3D feature.

• Magic Wand Remote needs work, LG should learn from the Wii Remote (You find yourself needing to point at the centre of the TV to re-adjust the pointer)

• Analogue data is horribly processed, it's worst when it's being upscaled through HDMI. If your source data is HD through HDMI, you'll be fine.

• 2D-to-3D is fine (fake stereoscopic). Would be nice to have access to fine details for that process as focal distance not well set, etc. (due to person distance and many other factors)

• Dual-View feature, not impressed at all. Had a lot of Ghosting. Maybe darken the glass lens and re-calibrating the image will reduce the effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparbob7 View Post
Here is my problem. It is kind of hard to see but you see when I turn the channel it dims the mini guide thing you can really see it half way through the video. Also if there is nothing on the screen just very black it turns the screen off. I have all the setting right. Energy savings mode off and I even turned off local dimming and it still does it.

It is really bad in the opening on Star Trek TNG. Dark space gets really dark then when Enterprise comes across the screen it gets really bright and the when it just shows space goes really dark.

Star Trek I turned local dimming off. I have it calibrated in ISF1
Now, as for the Global Dimming. I noticed something similar when going from 3D to 2D (Disabling Stereoscopic). The whole scene becomes vary dark/dim like if the Energy Saving & Auto-Dim feature would be enabled (when it's not enabled). It takes a good amount of time for the brightness to return (5~10 min). Not sure if you experience something like this too.

I haven't connected it to the Internet, yet. (Wireless adapter doesn't come with this TV - ** Wireless is integrated, manual is misleading) So there might be a firmware update that makes various corrections. (** Wired Network is not stable, unsure about Wireless)

From your videos, it looks like local dimming from my quick experience on my TV. I get that effect on my nVidia GPU, which is annoying as I can't find the setting to disable it.

I'm Using HDMI1 (ARC) through Receiver (Home Entertainment Center). Per another poster, I'll try HDMI2 for video input and instead of using Other, try with HEC or Blu-Ray as Source setting for that port.

The Settings on this TV are presented very strangely. I'll share my configs when completed and hopefully I don't experience more odd "features". And could help others.

Last edited by YSpecs; 09-18-2014 at 09:53 AM. Reason: ** Wireless - Wired Network Test
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1007 Old 09-17-2014, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up 4K vs Plasma (UHD vs HD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrenier16 View Post
Hi everybody. I'm in the market for a 65" and am trying to decide on a 4k or a plasma. I have an offer to get the 65ub9500 for under $2300. There are very few reviews out there and I am wondering if I should jump on this. I'm not sold on the set based on reviews of previous edge lit LG sets wrt black levels and the dimming issues. There just doesn't seem to be any info on these new sets anywhere. The thing that has me hesitating is that prices of 4k sets are dropping fast and I don't need the set for another month or so due to renovations. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Personally, I would go with the 4K because if you have issues with the Plasma, getting it fixed will be pretty expensive down the road as they're out of production. Also, Plasma aren't able to display small pixels that's possible on LED due to it's technology. So, Plasma vs 4K is like comparing 1080p (HD) vs 2160p (UHD).

As for 4K vs HD (1080p), the pixels on the screen are much smaller. Details will look much nicer because your eyes are having a harder time at noticing those smaller pixels. Another advantage with an LED (4K) is if you hit the screen causing damage, you may still be able to use it (partially). A Plasma, the gas evaporate and the whole display no longer works.

For price of the 4K LED, it's because the market for them are increasing. Production cost are less expensive than Plasma. A 16K will be a nice blend, but we have maybe another 5 years for them to be released.

As for content, there won't be a mass amount in 4K due to various production cost and various media & service limitation (e.g. network providers, data storage on disc). Look at the political challenges in the USA regarding digital content. You might have to move to Japan
post #993 of 1007 Old 09-17-2014, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question LB6100 Global Dimming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfyAmbassador View Post
The global dimming happens on my LB5800 if it hits a really dark black or gray scene even if there's a small word or text that's white color on screen as long as the overall scene is a really dark/dull color, or when the backlight turns off all together or screen blacks out during transitions between commercials. Once a new commercial comes on, you see the backlight flicker before it brightens again. It's annoying, because of the brought on flickering when the backlight tries to shut off or turn on instantly. And, the fact that it's not consistent, so you can be watching one scene even if it's the same color/lighting throughout the whole scene, and watch it continuously flicker for no reason.
Sorry if this has been answered, I've searched and plowed thru most of the 900+ posts here.

Do the LB6100 sets have this global dimming issue? Specifically the 60LB6100 or is it a feature stripped enough model to not have it?
post #994 of 1007 Old 09-18-2014, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Silver 2 View Post
Yep, that's my problem to the tee!! Disabling all dimming from the service menu solves the issue. It's cool to have local dimming and it adds to the overall picture, but I'm fine sacrificing that for a consistent picture without flicker and distraction from backlight changes. Right now I'm turning that setting off every time I turn on the TV (since I can't save my changes).
There's no setting on my TV for me to turn it off. It's automatic and it bugs me a bit, especially when It's hard to see dark scenes or there's this flicker before it brightens up again, like as soon as the commercial comes on it turns off then on instantly before it brightens the picture up the overall picture like it thinks it has to turn off the backlight right before the commercial starts on the black screen break between commercials then when it pops up, instant flicker and it brightens up.
post #995 of 1007 Old 09-18-2014, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is the below statement STILL TRUE for the lb5900 or lb5600 or lb6000 series ?

On an LG panel, look on the box, there are two barcodes, the first serial number should have a W in the number, like AUSW, instead of a AUSD. The W in the serial number means it is an IPS panel, the D indicates a VA.
post #996 of 1007 Old 09-19-2014, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye2 View Post
Sorry if this has been answered, I've searched and plowed thru most of the 900+ posts here.

Do the LB6100 sets have this global dimming issue? Specifically the 60LB6100 or is it a feature stripped enough model to not have it?
Did a "initial setting" for the first time and there was a setting to turn off Global dimming" which I never had to begin with so it must have been set to off already when I bought the TV. Just a note stay away from the LG BDP 540 blu ray....returning my second unit as the wi-fi never connects to my networks.....Only about 20 yards between the router and the unit. I'm getting a refund. Wanna try an LG again for that "private sound" feature....any other blu Rays have this?
post #997 of 1007 Old 09-19-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopl00 View Post
Is the below statement STILL TRUE for the lb5900 or lb5600 or lb6000 series ?

On an LG panel, look on the box, there are two barcodes, the first serial number should have a W in the number, like AUSW, instead of a AUSD. The W in the serial number means it is an IPS panel, the D indicates a VA.
Is this true on the serial numbers on the tv itself?
post #998 of 1007 Old 09-19-2014, 06:49 PM

This is ridiculous, I can't even browse LG smart world, The screen on the smart world becomes so freaking dim upon entering it I can hardly see the apps and names from a distance, but the smarttv home screen is normal brightness. I am guessing because smart world has dark gray colors it dims the screen based on darker colors. I don't think I had this issue until after I updated to 04.01.02. I hope they release a new update to fix this crap. Is there a way to revert back to earlier firmwares OTA?
post #999 of 1007 Old 09-19-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfyAmbassador View Post
This is ridiculous, I can't even browse LG smart world, The screen on the smart world becomes so freaking dim upon entering it I can hardly see the apps and names from a distance, but the smarttv home screen is normal brightness. I am guessing because smart world has dark gray colors it dims the screen based on darker colors. I don't think I had this issue until after I updated to 04.01.02. I hope they release a new update to fix this crap. Is there a way to revert back to earlier firmwares OTA?

Go to initial settings. Starts the TV from scratch. It prompts you to have global dimming on or off. Switch it to off. Just discovered this today. Picture on my tv is beautiful.
post #1000 of 1007 Old 09-19-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartinijr1 View Post
Go to initial settings. Starts the TV from scratch. It prompts you to have global dimming on or off. Switch it to off. Just discovered this today. Picture on my tv is beautiful.
I went to initial settings a couple of times already, the only option it gives me to turn off is energy saver upon set up and I selected "off".
post #1001 of 1007 Old 09-20-2014, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Did a "initial setting" for the first time and there was a setting to turn off Global dimming" which I never had to begin with so it must have been set to off already when I bought the TV. Just a note stay away from the LG BDP 540 blu ray....returning my second unit as the wi-fi never connects to my networks.....Only about 20 yards between the router and the unit. I'm getting a refund. Wanna try an LG again for that "private sound" feature....any other blu Rays have this?
That sounds very promising because while evaluating a floor model 60LB6100 I saw the local dimming effect actually happen. So I wanted to verify that what I saw WAS what everyone was talking about. If it can't be turned off, it's a deal breaker.

You say it can be turned off in the initial setup. Can you please confirm that this IS on the 60LB6100?
post #1002 of 1007 Old 09-20-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye2 View Post
That sounds very promising because while evaluating a floor model 60LB6100 I saw the local dimming effect actually happen. So I wanted to verify that what I saw WAS what everyone was talking about. If it can't be turned off, it's a deal breaker.

You say it can be turned off in the initial setup. Can you please confirm that this IS on the 60LB6100?
No. I have a 47 inch but it is a 6100. Got it at Costco. I would ask the salesman to show u the initial setup before u buy it. Depending on store shouldn't be a problem. POSITIVELY was able to shut mine off. Really love the TV. I'd give it a shot.
post #1003 of 1007 Old 09-20-2014, 09:09 PM

As you can see, I finished watching Phantom of the opera (2004), on the credits when the words disappear in between the transition to the next set of word(s) you can see the backlight turns down (or off) during the whole black screen and then flickers right before the backlight brightens up again when the new words on the screen brighten up or reappear. This is the issue when the screen blacks out in between commercials, it creates a flicker before it brightens to a normal level, or wants to dim down on dark scenes typically gray or black. It might be the update I downloaded on my TV, but you can see it's clearly visible in the video I took here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-a...it?usp=sharing

They probably put that feature on the new TV update seeing as the reviews stated the black levels weren't the best on this model TV (LB5800).
post #1004 of 1007 Old Yesterday, 03:58 AM

Quote:
No. I have a 47 inch but it is a 6100. Got it at Costco. I would ask the salesman to show u the initial setup before u buy it. Depending on store shouldn't be a problem. POSITIVELY was able to shut mine off. Really love the TV. I'd give it a shot.
Thank you for the additional details. Yes, I can run the initial set-up on the set at Costco to verify if that option exists on the current batch.
post #1005 of 1007 Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Whats everyone input on the LG 4k 65. 9500series
post #1006 of 1007 Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Guys, I just got back from fry's and walked away from their nice weekend promo that includes no tax, free 3 yr ext warranty, free wall mount bundle package, 12 mos 0%, free delivery tonight all for $1450 for LG 49UHB85000.

My 1st choice was the Sony 850 49" cause to me it had a tad better PQ but it was more $1700 and no free ext warranty, no free wall mount package. So I went home with the LG 8500.

I really have not seen any 4K TVs until tonight & figured I got the best deal for now. So can you guys tell me if you have seen them in your own research in the last year or so which has the best PQ only, the LG 8500 or sony 850? It's still sitting in my living room so I could always exchange for the sony. I had to pull the trigger tonight cause fry's promo ended tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	274337  

Last edited by zoey67; Yesterday at 11:02 PM.
post #1007 of 1007 Old Today, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post
So can you guys tell me if you have seen them in your own research in the last year or so which has the best PQ only, the LG 8500 or sony 850? It's still sitting in my living room so I could always exchange for the sony. I had to pull the trigger tonight cause fry's promo ended tonight.
Interesting... I'm going through a similar dilemma. Hard to tell if the Sony is worth the cost or not, and I'm amazed more others haven't had the same consideration, since the sets are using the same panel!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60es7100 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page