2014 LG THREAD - Page 43 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > LCD Flat Panel Displays > 2014 LG THREAD

LCD Flat Panel Displays

Devhux's Avatar Devhux
12:05 AM Liked: 10
post #1261 of 1273
12-08-2014 | Posts: 6
I was watching Once Upon a Time tonight on my new LG 50LB6300, and noticed during the credits that the black background was changing in brightness as each set of credits was appearing.

Immediately I thought I must have had Dynamic Contrast on or something, but I double-checked and that was off (along with pretty much any enhancement that I could think of. Black Level is set to "Low" as well.

Any ideas?

Edit: Ok, if I would have searched this thread I would have noticed it's probably the Global Dimming issue. Noticing it between black screens leading to / from commercial breaks.
Nightsky's Avatar Nightsky
07:11 PM Liked: 10
post #1262 of 1273
12-09-2014 | Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyitalian1988 View Post
Has anyone had their TV's back light turn off during a dark scene and then not turn back on. Essentially, the screen goes black and the audio keeps playing. If I shine a light into the screen I can see the Webos menus very dimly. I've had LG replace the screen, power supply and computer. While its intermittent (usually on a very dark scene or a quick fade to black), I was able to replicate it on an LG commercial. I can post a video tomorrow if it's helpful.

I plan on contacting the tech I've been working with tomorrow morning. I'm thinking the options will be a new set or a refund.

Also note that this happens on multiple inputs. I've seen it on my chromecast and on cable.

I had/have this exact issue and sent a video to LG tech support explaining the issue. The tech just said I had to get the tv serviced but I'm skeptical, and also very reluctant to do the servicing since it's such a pain in the behind. The temp solution was to turn the set off and turn it back on again. I found the xbox really triggered this issue.

I do have an update though. A couple weeks ago I went into the menus and played around with a bunch of the settings, and since then, I have yet to have this problem occur. I have no idea which setting did it, or even if it's fixed, but I know I set black level to low, turned off trumotion, and bumped up the default brightness.
YSpecs
02:13 PM Liked: 0
post #1263 of 1273
12-10-2014 | Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyitalian1988 View Post
Hmm, does global dimming cause the LG menus to cut out too? Here's a video of my issue. (removed link)
Been having strange dimming issues too. Seems worst if you set Local Dimming to any settings. The TV stops to remember the setting set. Usually you have to set it to Off on all profiles, then turn off the TV (maybe unplug TV too might help, but resets the time). Irritating, because some scenes would start to become darker and darker, when it shouldn't.

One time the screen went black for various duration and random times. When the tech came to look at the Network issue, we concluded it was related to the HTS (Home Theatre System) since after connecting other devices straight to the HDMI port without going through the HTS, the issue no longer appeared.

Recently, audio has been acting up on the HTS. Sometimes the TV sends the audio signal (on Optical port), sometimes it doesn't. An example, watching a video on YouTube and Video on DeviceShare. When return to YouTube, the audio would stop or vis-versa. Sometimes going to the Audio settings and changing them recovers it, sometimes going back and forth works.

For a new TV, I'm not impressed. Also difficult to diagnose because the symptoms are difficult to reproduce.
Deihmos's Avatar Deihmos
09:13 PM Liked: 10
post #1264 of 1273
12-10-2014 | Posts: 53
Anyone have any calibration settings for the 55UB9500 or 65UB9500 ? Cannot find any online.
Devhux's Avatar Devhux
12:16 AM Liked: 10
post #1265 of 1273
12-13-2014 | Posts: 6
For those with the Global Dimming issue, it looks like the culprit is a setting in the service menu.

While I don't know how to access the service menu directly on my LG 50LB6300, I found an app for my phone called "LG Service Menu Explorer" that uses the IR port on my Note 3 to access it. It's an $8 app, but I figured I'd try it.

In Service Menu 1, I found a Dimming option highlighted in the screenshot. After finding a point in a TV show where I could trigger global dimming easily, I chanced it and turned the dimming option off here. The good news is that it worked! The back light no longer dimmed (or turned off) on a dark/black background. Bad news? The setting doesn't stick once the TV is turned off.

I could probably try making a video to show this. Of course I don't suggest messing with the service menu in case something goes wrong, but perhaps pressure could somehow be put on LG to let this setting be user-adjustable
Attached: 2014-12-12 23_1418459157156.59.48-picsay.jpg (492.5 KB) 
Devhux's Avatar Devhux
09:17 PM Liked: 10
post #1266 of 1273
12-14-2014 | Posts: 6
Got my hopes up for possibly nothing. Looks like that setting also disables the backlight from being dimmed in the regular picture settings menu.
ten8dp's Avatar ten8dp
06:45 AM Liked: 11
post #1267 of 1273
12-15-2014 | Posts: 18
I don't have mine set up to auto update. Did anyone update the newest software? I think it's 04.02.03? (LG 60LB6100)
anjunax
12:17 PM Liked: 0
post #1268 of 1273
12-15-2014 | Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparbob7 View Post
Thanks for thinking of me buddy

I have the same problem also. It is not global dimming with this issue but it might be related to it. Every now and again mine does the same thing but it does it anytime not just on a dark scene.

The backlight just goes out and if you shine a light on the screen and bring up the menu you can see it. I always have to turn off and back on the TV to fix this. It is another defect in this line of TV's. I have had this happen on 2 sets now. It did not happen until they updated the firmware for the first time. I think it is a firmware issue but if you ask them they have no idea.

Please let me know what happens to yours and if you get it fixed.

Thanks
I'm having the exact same issue as you guys.... I also have the 60LB7100. Backlight goes out and I can see a very faint menu if I shine a light on the screen. However, turning the TV off and back on doesn't fix it for me. The technician came and replaced the power supply which seemed to work for a few minutes and then the backlight just died again. Still won't work after turning it off and back on multiple times.

Please keep me updated if you guys find a solution! The technician is going to come out and replace the power supply again but I don't know if that'll fix it if the issue is elsewhere...
WolfyAmbassador's Avatar WolfyAmbassador
06:03 PM Liked: 10
post #1269 of 1273
Yesterday | Posts: 79
I'm starting to think that everyone is having the global dimming issue, except some don't realize it. I think it's just a feature on every LG set that doesn't have local dimming, so they use the global dimming to make up for it. Both my original and replacement model lb5800 tvs have this and they were both manufactured at different time periods. I got my lb5800 from Walmart.
JackN's Avatar JackN
04:24 AM Liked: 20
post #1270 of 1273
Today | Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devhux View Post
For those with the Global Dimming issue, it looks like the culprit is a setting in the service menu...

Jumped in here to see if anyone with a 2014 model had had a breakthrough defeating this dread feature only to see that it is still the bane of many LG owners' existence. I have an LA6200--a 2013 model--which is also afflicted with "global dimming." I can't overstate how frustrating it is to get this otherwise fine unit looking absolutely fantastic at an optimally calibrated level only to have global dimming roll that back light back in low light scenes, introducing black crush and resultant detail loss, throwing off all the careful adjustment. What's the point of supplying consumers with a full array of fine tuning tools if global dimming makes it all moot?

Staying tuned to this thread in hopes someone, someday, finds the secret key to success. Worst case scenario would be if this is in the circuitry and it can't be addressed through firmware updates or a service mode tweak, but I live in hope... It's got to be in there, somewhere!
WolfyAmbassador's Avatar WolfyAmbassador
06:26 AM Liked: 10
post #1271 of 1273
Today | Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post
Jumped in here to see if anyone with a 2014 model had had a breakthrough defeating this dread feature only to see that it is still the bane of many LG owners' existence. I have an LA6200--a 2013 model--which is also afflicted with "global dimming." I can't overstate how frustrating it is to get this otherwise fine unit looking absolutely fantastic at an optimally calibrated level only to have global dimming roll that back light back in low light scenes, introducing black crush and resultant detail loss, throwing off all the careful adjustment. What's the point of supplying consumers with a full array of fine tuning tools if global dimming makes it all moot?

Staying tuned to this thread in hopes someone, someday, finds the secret key to success. Worst case scenario would be if this is in the circuitry and it can't be addressed through firmware updates or a service mode tweak, but I live in hope... It's got to be in there, somewhere!
I'm pretty sure a software update could probably fix it. TruMotion is also part of the circuitry, and I've read somewhere that the feature wasn't available on a certain model until there was a software update, so I don't see how they couldn't disable something as well or at least make it a setting to adjust or turn off.
Devhux's Avatar Devhux
08:34 AM Liked: 10
post #1272 of 1273
Today | Posts: 6
Trust me, I was so excited when I found the setting I did (then immediately thought "No one will believe a guy with 4 posts would have solved a years-old complaint."

Well, sadly the latter was true, but I won't give up hope. Don't even know what made me actually want to see what was in those menus, but I know I won't touch most of them as do understand it can be very dangerous to mess around.
Teremei's Avatar Teremei
03:52 PM Liked: 143
post #1273 of 1273
Today | Posts: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devhux View Post
Trust me, I was so excited when I found the setting I did (then immediately thought "No one will believe a guy with 4 posts would have solved a years-old complaint."

Well, sadly the latter was true, but I won't give up hope. Don't even know what made me actually want to see what was in those menus, but I know I won't touch most of them as do understand it can be very dangerous to mess around.
Oh go ahead do it. Who doesn't want purple poptart poltergeists popping out of their TV?
Tags: Samsung Un60es7100 Led Hdtv

Gear in this thread
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread